Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does immunity to Normal Weapons work?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
In House of the Sun, the bullets fired at the materializing spirits guarding the House of the Sun pass through them without causing harm. But possessed people also have immunity to normal weapons, and I doubt any spirit has enough power to make a person incorporeal at this point in the mana cycle.

So my theory, for the sake of awesomeness, is that the bullets bounce off a badass energy field.
Konsaki
Why not just let it do the Neo thing and stop the bullets in mid air?
Demerzel
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How does immunity to Normal Weapons work?

Very well, thank you.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Why not just let it do the Neo thing and stop the bullets in mid air?

Because that would require the person with the immunity to be aware of the attack in order to be immune.

Myself, I just treat it as the thing with immunity is highly resistant to normal damage. Bullets tear through the flesh just fine but the guy just won't die and the fact that he's got all this cavitation in his chest doesn't seem to affect him at all.
Moirdryd
I`d go with...

Whatever feels right for the spirit type/ conditions/ ect of the situation and indeed what ever comes out as the coolest FX.
Angelone
In Crossroads, the bullets struck the flesh of the possessed body and healed instantly.

In my games I have them hit and ricochet off kinda like bullets bouncing off Superman.
Sir_Psycho
Really, it's just a game mechanic. Describe it to PC's anyway you want. Obvioulsy it just goes through most air/water/fire elementals, sea spirits etc. With more solid (materialized of course) spirits such as earth elementals, I imagine bullets would just thud into the earth of the spirits body and have no effect, city spirits may have metal and bullets may spark and ricochet off.

As for tangible humanoids... I'd guess zombie ish things would just have chunks blown off and still come at you. I guess you could still make knockdown tests in that case.
celegar
psycho is right, in game it happens any way you want, like they would just pass thru air elementals while they would bounce off earth elementals.

if your asking in game stats terms, all it does is double the armor value of the thing that is invulnerable
Moirdryd
*prods*

Bad bad Celegar. It means that the weapon needs Double the force value of the spirit in its power to harm it.
celegar
dependant on whether the question is third or fourth edition is the real issue. becuase acoring to fourth edition and i quote, pg 288 under powers, subsection immunity "a critter with immunity has an enhance resistance to a certain type of attack or affliction. the critter gains an "ARMOR RATING" EQUAL TO TWICE ITS MAGIC AGAINST THAT DAMAGE. this immunity armor is treated as hardened protection, meaning that if the damage value does not exceed the armor then the attck automaticly does no damage.

it works just like normal armor. if you cant do damage greater than the armor, then you cant hurt the creature.

of course if the question is in third edition then disreguard.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Moirdryd)
It means that the weapon needs Double the force value of the spirit in its power to harm it.

Double+1, actually.

~J
Moirdryd
Indeed Kagetenshi.

And yes, I was referencing SR3rd edit. Not sure for which Emo was referencing though.
Lindt
QUOTE (celegar)
becuase acoring to fourth edition and i quote, pg 288 under powers, subsection immunity "a critter with immunity has an enhance resistance to a certain type of attack or affliction. the critter gains an "ARMOR RATING" EQUAL TO TWICE ITS MAGIC AGAINST THAT DAMAGE. this immunity armor is treated as hardened protection, meaning that if the damage value does not exceed the armor then the attck automaticly does no damage.

For the relative newbie, Ill be nice. Please don't come in here sounding like a jerk. You could have saved some typing and said that much less abrasively.
Secondly, if you had not noticed yet, there is a pretty large gap between the Sr3 and Sr4 rules, and the players who play on them, and its wise to be considerate of this.

On that note, Welcome to Dumpshock. Here is your dikoted ally spirit manifested as an Ares Viper Slivergun, and yes, you can have sex with it.
celegar
i in no way meant to be jerkish, i just misunderstood the premise of the question. however i am right on how it works in sr4. and also, in my defence, the title of this forum is only shadowrun, not shadowrun 3rd.
Kagetenshi
That's a nice shovel you got there, but it might be the wrong tool for this job.

~J
Moirdryd
Hey, why did I never get the Dikote Spirit manifested as an Ares Viper Sliver gun that I can have sex with?....

I was welcomed with a fraggin` monosword and Phaeton shooting at me with a 9mm SMG burst... *i forget wich SMG it was, one of the HK series I think*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012