Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR3] SOTA: 2065
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Sphynx
As I de-evolve back into SR3, I come to the realization that nothing 'new' will come out for the game I love most. Not that it's a terrible thing, I think SR3 was at near-perfection for a game. However, there is always room for improvement and I was thinking of publishing freely a SOTA:2065 which would include the Augmented Reality aspects of SR4.

I was curious if anyone had any desire to help, or advice to give, or even quotable quotes from their characters on the releases. Here's the plan so far (not set in stone, just a plan).

A chapter on Augmented Reality and new gear to allow things to be made wireless. In addition new rules to change the concealability ratings of electronic gear. Making 2065 a much more wireless and micro-managed in sizes year.

A chapter on Magic, a chance to not only implement the revised BP system for character creation (somehow I have to get a DocFunkenstien quote or 10 in that chapter, since he was the originator of the idea), but to expand on alot of the less known magics like the Paths of Wheel, Psionics, Druidism, Nordic Rune Magic and Voodoo. Giving rules for un-ruled stuff such as Greater Thought Forms or Summoning Zombies.

A chapter on new Spirits with focus on Aztlan and Denver (primarily GhostWalker, the supposed biggest expert on spirits). As well as an introduction to Draconians, and their creation.

A first-glimpse at a Horror, though I refuse to do anything with Horrors without AncientHistory's assistance. Not sure I could do it justice without his expertise to support it. Obviously it's far too early in the cycle for Horrors to appear, I'm thinking a single entity that battles it out with a Greater Dragon, and perhaps wreaking great havoc in the progress. Not something that has numbers and can be fought by players, just something to give mankind a jolt as they realize the sorts of things that are 'out there'. Maybe turn some of California Free State into wasteland in the process....

Also, something I've been wanting to see for awhile, some pre-fab characters like in the original SR3 book, but using gear and ideas from all the books (Changeling, Bioware, Etc)

The most important thing about this project, should anyone be interested in helping, is that it should not be a re-write of any existing rules. Only modifications. So although there are some rules we may not like, such as the concealabilities of items (since this is something that will be addressed), the rules shouldn't change, but options should be added. Example, the concealability can be lowered by raising the costs of the items or creating new items that start with a lower availability (Ie: No Pocket Secretary is needed anymore if the AR is done correctly)

If anyone's interested in donating material, please post here. If you're interested in helpign actually write chapters, message me and I'll give you a direct link to the PDF as it develops.

If anyone can do mega-fantastic art, I could become your best friend very fast. nyahnyah.gif Mostly though I'm thinking of using photos that are highly editted to appear as art.
mfb
i wrote some stuff that i was going to submit to the actual SOTA:65 book.

new rigger stuff, including stuff that allows for combining rigging and decking more easily, including decking through a drone network and controlling drones across the Matrix.

a new Matrix technique that makes validating a false account no longer an i-win button.

new operations and utilities that give deckers more realistic abilities when it comes to controlling hosts.

persona program subprocessors, which basically give your deck new abilities when you go into one of the various modes.
nezumi
QUOTE (Sphynx)
As I de-evolve back into SR3

You're de-evolving only if natural selection killing off the weak is 'de-evolution'. Welcome back.

A lot of these look fairly fundamental to the system (new BP break downs, more details on existing magic, etc.) Why don't you throw your hat in with the SR3R crowd? I know i'ts moving slowly, but you sound like you have time and drive, and speaking as a player, I'd much rather get SR3R than SOTA65.

I love mfb's rules, they look very nice.
Sphynx
SR3R? Gotta a link?
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (mfb)
i wrote some stuff that i was going to submit to the actual SOTA:65 book.

new rigger stuff, including stuff that allows for combining rigging and decking more easily, including decking through a drone network and controlling drones across the Matrix.

a new Matrix technique that makes validating a false account no longer an i-win button.

new operations and utilities that give deckers more realistic abilities when it comes to controlling hosts.

persona program subprocessors, which basically give your deck new abilities when you go into one of the various modes.

That looks really amazing. Especially the rigging while decking thing. I've always thought the line between security rigger and decker didn't make much sense. Nice stuff, I'd like to see it in SR3R.
mfb
thanks. though now that i look back at them, i realize they're badly in need of proofreading, playtesting, and explaining.

anybody who wants to use 'em is welcome.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sphynx)
SR3R? Gotta a link?

Link.

~J
Sphynx
But.... that link's dead. O.o Is it still a work in progress? And will it encompass a complete re-write of the book? I'm talking about creating an actual book-like pdf with a unique cover art, and a professional appearance when I talk about the SOTA:65. Aside from the fact it won't be in stores, it'll seem an official book in appearance. Also, an SR3R would seem more intended for re-doing the basic things, not the add-ons which is what SOTA's entail. I don't mind working with people on SR3R if it's active, or working the SOTA:65 to fit it, but I am talking about a seemingly professional continuation of the SR3 system. I have alot of -good- art friends on DeviantArt that I can get free art from as long as I use it for a non-profit cause, and I make professional PDFs for a living.
Kagetenshi
The link's dead for you? What URL does it give you?

For copyright reasons, since we're not changing everything, we probably wouldn't be creating a book like you describe (though if I get around to learning the PDF spec, I might create a diff that an end user could use to edit their own copy of an SR3 PDF—though that carries with it all kinds of difficulties that will probably make it unfeasible). SR3R is definitely an active project, though it's moving slowly because my schedule got a lot busier.

Anyway, completely separately from this proposal, I'd encourage you to take a look at and comment on the various proposals making up SR3R.

~J
Drraagh
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 15 2007, 05:26 AM)
A new Matrix technique that makes validating a false account no longer an i-win button.

I actually was working earlier today on the matrix from a sysop perspective after finishing reading "Cuckoo's Egg", the sysops book about the events of one hacker who broke into a university mainframe at Berkeley and was using it to get military secrets. I also read Takedown by Tsutomu Shimomura about his work helping to find and capture Kevin Mitnick.

I was thinking of taking all the little flavor text and coming up with tools and ways for a sysop to trace a hacker. Today, it is somewhat hard given various countries, various laws, but in SR we're dealing with huge mutlinational corps that likely could trace all around the world without running into any political red tape.

The way it is right now, the hacker raises a tally to a point they don't like, they log off and wait awhile for tally to go down and log back in. Unless the admin wants to have the hacker get caught, there's not really any rules for it, though the flavor text and how we understand networking in general terms say there would be some connection traces left, even after the hacker logs out.

With magic, you can find someone if you know their aura, vehicless can more or less be traced on gridguide and so forth, but hackers are generally left alone unless they do something to get them in hot water with the wrong people.

Edit: After re-reading Log Tracing, it sounds like that pretty much is what I was looking at coming up with. Though I could see that also making some use of the social skills chart linked to that fro dealing with other sysadmins. And perhaps add an option to 'record' the hacker to a seperate file rather than just having to pick apart the log file. That way, if you knew an account was hacked, you could watch everything it does.
SL James
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Jan 15 2007, 03:30 PM)
I'm talking about creating an actual book-like pdf with a unique cover art, and a professional appearance when I talk about the SOTA:65.  Aside from the fact it won't be in stores, it'll seem an official book in appearance.

That is not even a problem. Worry about the art. The layout will take care of itself.

QUOTE (Sphynx)
I make professional PDFs for a living.

... especially in this case.

QUOTE (Drraagh)
I also read before Takedown by Tsutomu Shimomura about his work helping to find and capture Kevin Mitnick.

QUOTE (Drraagh)
I was thinking of taking all the little flavor text and coming up with tools and ways for a sysop to trace a hacker. Today, it is somewhat hard given various countries, various laws, but in SR we're dealing with huge mutlinational corps that likely could trace all around the world without running into any political red tape.

It probably wouldn't be hard for the U.S. government if it was willing to just murder hackers in their sleep like corps do in SR.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The link's dead for you? What URL does it give you?

For copyright reasons, since we're not changing everything, we probably wouldn't be creating a book like you describe (though if I get around to learning the PDF spec, I might create a diff that an end user could use to edit their own copy of an SR3 PDF—though that carries with it all kinds of difficulties that will probably make it unfeasible). SR3R is definitely an active project, though it's moving slowly because my schedule got a lot busier.

Anyway, completely separately from this proposal, I'd encourage you to take a look at and comment on the various proposals making up SR3R.

~J

I have, it's the last comment; made the day I came back to the forums, and no replies. That's why I assumed the project was dead. O.o I also made comments in all 4 of the sub-threads. Maybe if you moved it to here, posting up the things you've already decided on, and things you'd like more direct input on, we could pick that project back up.
Kagetenshi
Oh, right. Yeah, like I said, busier schedule x.x

(I could have sworn you'd commented on it, but since you didn't recognize the name… assumptions, assumptions)

Response Soon™

~J
Kyoto Kid
...this project is of interest.

Until the bomb was literally dropped by FanPro, I was gearing up for a new campaign that was going to push the tech envelope and move SR into the next frontier - Space.

I have a comprehensive listing of vehicles, aircraft, new armour, New Bioware (including a prototype of what is now the skinlink option in SR4 but much slicker) and even space systems like SSTO spaceplanes, Lunar transit vehicles, maneuver sleds and MMUs (like the ones NASA developed). I also had a large L5 type station (owned by a consortium) and installations on & under the Lunar Surface. With this, I resurrected fluff portions my old Neo Anarchist's Guide to Real Space that I was working up in the SR2 days to add to the info from Target Wastelands.
Sphynx
Well, I think there is more than sufficient difference between an SR3R and a SOTA:65 to have them as seperate projects. If you're interested, anyone, in helping out or just donating ideas, my email is sphynx01@gmail.com

Let me know what 'name' you want in the Credits if your material is used.
Lindt
I wouldn't mind working on a few of your pre-fab characters, or some interesting quotes (one of my players keeps pretty good notes).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Well, I think there is more than sufficient difference between an SR3R and a SOTA:65 to have them as seperate projects. If you're interested, anyone, in helping out or just donating ideas, my email is sphynx01@gmail.com

Let me know what 'name' you want in the Credits if your material is used.

...cool, you're on gmail as well. This means I can send attachments. give me a week or so to organise things.
Chance359
I would also be interested in putting together a few pregen characters.
Sphynx
Note on the pre-fabs, each of the characters will include something from the SOTA:65 new stuff. Wireless Decker, Psionicist, Draconian, Nordic Shaman, etc. Pretty much, anytime we give an example in the book, I'm aiming to use a character we create so that people can look at the sheet and the example at the same time to resolve questions they might have. They'll also be non-minmaxxed, so no Synap-2/Boosted-1 in a Geasa'd magically active character. No Trauma Dampener in a spell slinger. No muscle toner/aug combo in an Adept, etc.

Pont being, if you wanna make a Nordic Shaman, might be a good idea to propose Runic Magic ideas for the book.
Sphynx
FYI, here is a preliminary idea for the cover art. I still need to do my own State of the Art: text, but it'll give you a general idea, in addition to letting you see that I mean it when I say I want to create a very professional looking pdf in the process. I'm not sure if we should give it a number, or if we should include the FanPro/WhizKids logo, but I do know for legal reasons we'll have to include a disclaimer on the inside and back cover. Sadly, we'll probably also have to include the word UnOfficial on the main cover, but I'll worry about that when I create my own State of the Art: text, maybe a cursive diagonal top-left corner bit of text to it.

http://www.i-sphynx.com/Shadowrun/SOTA2065...65/CoverArt.jpg

Trigger
I really like this cover.....I have actually been thinking on doing something for this since I have been reading this thread and I may send in a couple of sketches fro you to check out.
Kagetenshi
You should not include the logo. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but keeping you from doing that is exactly what trademarks exist for, and I can't imagine them giving you permission to use it.

~J
Sir_Psycho
I'd be eager to do some art, preferably black and white pen sketches, maybe some logo's if I get my hands on a copy of Illustrator. If you have a piece of gear, tech, wiz, character or concept you want to include a drawing of (hey! Just like in the shadowrun books!) I'm more than happy to draw it to your specifications.

Also, how about cigarettes? I know the SOTA books have fun fluff content as well. Smoking in the Sixth world, complete with descriptions of the competing brands, and rules for addiction and smoking, perhaps not along the lines of the other drug addiction rules of "ok looks like you're dead".

Sphynx
Psycho, that'd be great. Wireless tech art is a must. The cover art shown isn't the one I'll use, I just put some stuff I found on the web together to give me an idea. I'll duplicate the work using my own art, that's just the color I'm wanting, and general style. Creating a background might be difficult, but I will use a 'tech/schematic' style image as done here and in other SR books. The digitalized face on a double-layer image (since most of the book should be on going wireless) is my favorite idea so far, but that's not set in stone. Our first project should be the Wireless chapter, that will fuel the imagination a bit more for the imagery.

Tonight I'll go through mfb's work and see what we can use. I think though that our first step should be a device to allow anyone to be wireless which replaces the Pocket Secretary, and rules about 0-MPCP and their effect on trying to hack (making the everyone-wireless unable to hack a nearby drone, for example). I don't think anything -decker- should be wireless yet.

Also, we using microwave, like today's cell phones? Or making something up?
Kyoto Kid
...for interior art, I would also tap Squinky on on the shoulder. He's doing some damn fine stuff these days check his "Sticky" & Shadowrun Missions.
Sir_Psycho
I'm not sure the wireless chapter should be the first just because it'll be complex and daunting to flip onto page 5 with.

Does it include rules for piloting and/or sitting in the captains chair completely through the matrix and without a vehicle control rig? possibly like a control slave operation? Sort of like the drones are a part of the security system, and the vcr is integrated into the hardware of the security host.

I always thought it was silly that a corp decker and corp security rigger did different things. I think when it comes to site security they should overlap, the rigger can not only view through the cameras and turrets, he can also control the drones, and his advantage is that he can be mobile on site while performing his tasks, or the decker can do the same thing through the security host, but also can repel matrix intrusions and guard files.

edit: Also, I was thinking of including a new vision mode for goggles and cybereyes. Electromagnetic vision adds a whole new spectrum to our vision, we can see any tech that is currently operating. That spy hiding in the darkened corner may have 6 levels of thermal dampening on his form fitting armour, but his cybereyes running thermographic, imagelink, retinal clock and opticam are glowing like the sun. We'd have to come up with some specific rules of course, and I'm open to suggestion.
mfb
QUOTE (Sir Psycho)
Does it include rules for piloting and/or sitting in the captains chair completely through the matrix and without a vehicle control rig? possibly like a control slave operation? Sort of like the drones are a part of the security system, and the vcr is integrated into the hardware of the security host.

not sure if you're talking about my stuff or not, but if so, yes. it's under the heading "Drone Decking" on the Rigger Please page.
Sphynx
Sir_Psycho, it won't be the first chapter in the book, but as the most important chapter of the book I want to work on it first. I think the BP system (Magic and resources) will be the first chapter.

MFB: I think the 'logging' rules are imperative to the book. But alot of questions on the other stuff. You want a discussion on it here? New (or old existing) thread? Emails? One of the things I think are definitely needed to the logging rules is the +8's. Much too high of a number there. Maybe instead, use the intruding decker's Evasion rating?

Psycho: Main objective of the Gone Wireless chapter is to put the average person in a wireless setting. The Logging and Decking/Rigging merge stuff should go in a seperate chapter, Advanced Technical Training.

Gone Wireless Chapter: We need a device that can interact with the wireless world. It should have a roller/buttons on one side that let you switch between different Networks in your area. If you walk into a mall, and are bombarded with 20 wireless networks, a way of seeing that on a list (glasses or ImageLink). A touchpad to select things in your menu once you've selected a network. Etc. It'd be a PocketSecretary, Music Downloader/Player, Etc all in one.

Decisions we need to make. What all this device can do. Storage space it has. Costs for different 'levels' of it. What it can NOT do (Decking/Rigging). Artistic representations of different versions. What corps make it, and which corp is the 'world leader' in its design/creation. Devices that go along with it (ImageGlasses, Earbuds, etc). Accessories that can be attached to it (Transducer, Microtransciever, GPS) and their costs. And most importantly, how it helps Shadowrunners who aren't Deckers/Riggers.

As the years progress, we should create a design template to determine a way to get the Wireless of 2065 to the SR4 Wireless of 2070 so that we can include upgrades in our 2066, 2067, 2068, and 2069 to approach the 2070 level.

Ideas/Comments?
Sir_Psycho
Ideas? Thoughts? Well first of all, we shouldn't include Augmented Reality yet. That could come in '67 or something.

Off the top of my head are three variations. One is basicly a PDA or laptop with a screen that while it can do all the standard holding notes, images, phone numbers, etc. As a piece of wiz with wireless connectivity, it receives information from the services around it. Pop-up advertisements and special offers are common on most of the bandwidths, usually relevant to where you're standing. You can request maps of the area (eg. a shopping mall), basic directions, streaming music/video, etc. Sound can either be projected from the device's speakers, or through plugged in headplugs

The second version I think of does not have a screen at all, but plugs (wirelessly or via cable) into a set of glasses/goggles (with earplugs attaching to your ears via the "wings" of the glasses frame. This would throw up a holographic projection onto the goggles, providing all the same information, services, communication and annoyances (pop up ads) as the PDA version, but is in the easy form of glasses. The actual broadcasting/receiving unit that the glasses plug into would consist of a scroll wheel and two buttons, and would fit in a sort of small handle shape, with the wheel accessble by the thumb, and the buttons in the trigger position. The wheel would be for scrolling through subnetworks, pictures, text and other options. The buttons would be a simple select/enter/yes button and a clear display/no/off button.

The final version would be cyber, and would do all the aforementioned tasks, but be controlled through DNI and viewed through an image/display link.

This device should also have an address, sort of like an email/phone number. PDA's that share eachothers addresses and are on the same wireless node pop up on a subscriber list, and can share files, have a free instant messaging system, and work the same as a radio between subscribers aswell, including conference ability.

One of the coolest things is, the local nodes are accessible by jackpoint (illegal without advertising/maintenance permits) and can be used by deckers for slightly less-than-conventional means, such as:
"Ok our contact's address just hit the network, he's browsing through the maria mercurial classics catalog it seems... oh by the way, I've got his GPS down, and Ok, he's inbetween the MCT megamart and the dunkin' doughnuts vendor. request visual confirmation. Affirmative. Ok he's making the call, it's encrypted, you'll have to get within eavesdropping range while I work on the encryption."

PS. I've also got a nice idea for an illustration of this basic tech in action in PDA/Goggle and vislink form.
Kagetenshi
AR is already out, and has been since SR1. What do you think smartlinks are? Imagelinks?

Anyway, the way I handle the pocket secretary replacement is to declare that the pocket secretary has the equivalent of a cell phone data plan. Simple and easy.

~J
Sir_Psycho
By AR I am referring to it in the SR4 Sense, of AR objects visible based on the wireless matrix.

Edit: If I'm not making much sense, I'm sorry, I'm a little drunk.
Sphynx
Well, my initial thoughts are visible if you want to see here.

I've been too busy trying to build graphics for the pages (each page has a graphic on top of some monitors with a somewhat relevant picture in a monitor, and each chapter starts with a larger 3-monitor networking image), so if anyone wants to edit that pdf a bit, lemme know.
mfb
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Jan 18 2007, 03:22 AM)
MFB:  I think the 'logging' rules are imperative to the book.  But alot of questions on the other stuff.  You want a discussion on it here? New (or old existing) thread?  Emails?  One of the things I think are definitely needed to the logging rules is the +8's.  Much too high of a number there.  Maybe instead, use the intruding decker's Evasion rating?

made a new thread.

re: AR in SR 206x, i've had characters using it for years, now. i've had to hack the rules and make stuff up, at times, but it just seems too natural to not use. for instance, my security rigger character has a wireless link to her remote deck that plugs into her datajack. rather than rigging or sitting in captain's chair mode all the time, she keeps the remote deck's status in a display link window. if she wants to do anything, she has to jump into her remote deck, but she can monitor her drones and whatnot without being comatose.

my forensic mage detective has a trode link built into his glasses, which double as a pocsec. he thinks the phrase Rosebud to activate various thought-controlled functions. it's not any faster than whipping out a handheld and typing stuff in, but it's cooler.
Fortune
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
By AR I am referring to it in the SR4 Sense, of AR objects visible based on the wireless matrix.

The Wireless Matrix Initiative has been around for quite a while as of 2065.
Sir_Psycho
Anyway, are we going to have some Shadowtalk in this book? It'd be interesting if we opened up the "finished" product some forum members and allow them to chip in some in character Shadowtalk, and we could cull it as SysOps, choosing the best comments/dialogues.

And we don't use any of the established shadow posters, because as it is, SOTA:65 is a copyright disaster waiting to happen.
Sphynx
Yes, of course. Shadowtalk is a requirement. I was actually thinking of going extreme on the shadowtalk a bit. What do you think of replacing Captain Chaos with someone like Pax for who is creating this Node/Book? nyahnyah.gif

More importantly though, really need someone to work on the story part. Not the actual ShadowTalk, but the dialogue/monologue that the ShadowTalk breaks into.
Sir_Psycho
I don't get exactly what you mean by story. Can you be specific?
Fortune
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jan 20 2007, 12:16 PM)
I don't get exactly what you mean by story. Can you be specific?

The thing in every section (or maybe only once per book) that is usually written by Capt Chaos or one of his friends. The overvue that sort of ties everything together. Shadowtalk is the stuff that individuals post in response to the main 'story' or 'article' or 'expose' or 'report' (pick a name you like biggrin.gif).
Sir_Psycho
So we're going to have this written from a perspective? What perspective? The people marketing SOTA? The Neo-A's? It could be done or it could not, doing it without a perspective, and making the information/rule objective descriptions (with flavour provided by Shadowtalk) would probably be a lot easier and less likely to fall flat. It's up to you of course.

If you need some time devoted to something specific then let me know, I'm willing to work on whatever.

And also, I have no feedback on a section on cigarettes as of yet. And I'd want a go ahead, and probably some ideas before I put anything concrete down. There should really be a brand of cigarette called "Lovingfield", possibly produced by Zeta Impchem (filled with awful Z-IC byproducts of course, not to mention the irony of a corp that produces medicines also marketing cigarettes.

The Azzies should have their own cigarette subsidiary, marketing Sangre Fuego as their standard cigarettes and Sangre Quemadura or Sangre Llama (or Llamas in the popular lexicon) as the stronger variant. Trade sanctions placed on Aztlan's cigarette exports could make for some interesting smuggling runs.

At least one japanacorp should have a cigarette subsidiary, though I have no ideas yet.

Any ideas?
Fortune
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Trade sanctions placed on Aztlan's cigarette exports could make for some interesting smuggling runs.

Why would there be trade sanctions? Aztechnology is the largest producer of consumer products, as has a very good public image. Average Joe loves Aztechnology.
Sir_Psycho
My reasoning would be that when Aztlan took over middle america they bogarted a substantial amount of tobacco, and the taxes they placed on tobacco trade from their monopoly drove up some prices of Average Joes cigarettes. Also, any number of strings could have been pulled by a rival corporation. Obviously, if it's way too weak, scrap it, I'm just brainstorming.
mfb
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jan 20 2007, 03:03 PM)
Trade sanctions placed on Aztlan's cigarette exports could make for some interesting smuggling runs.

Why would there be trade sanctions? Aztechnology is the largest producer of consumer products, as has a very good public image. Average Joe loves Aztechnology.

i don't believe that's quite accurate. the average Joe hears terrible things about Aztechnology, and thinks they're the devil. but the average Joe doesn't pay attention, so he doesn't know that AZT owns Stuffer Shack, or any number of other popular subsidiaries. so he supports AZT without knowing about it.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
So we're going to have this written from a perspective? What perspective? The people marketing SOTA? The Neo-A's? It could be done or it could not, doing it without a perspective, and making the information/rule objective descriptions (with flavour provided by Shadowtalk) would probably be a lot easier and less likely to fall flat. It's up to you of course.

Just like any of the other books. Objective is to release an 'official looking' book. Which is why the pdf I was showing you starts with the Game Information which is always at the end of each chapter to describe the game mechanics of all the 'cool stuff' you just read.

Also, side note, alot of the 'flavor text' is usually considered Canon by people. Although I don't mind random input, we will need to make sure anything anyone adds is completely compatable with the rules we write.

As for the tobaco industry idea, I thought at first you were joking. Are you serious? You want rules for smoking? o.O
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't believe that's quite accurate. the average Joe hears terrible things about Aztechnology, and thinks they're the devil. but the average Joe doesn't pay attention, so he doesn't know that AZT owns Stuffer Shack, or any number of other popular subsidiaries. so he supports AZT without knowing about it.

Hmmm ... I seem to recall at least a couple of mentions in canon as to how good and effective Aztechnology's PR is, as far as the general public is concerned.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Sphynx)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jan 20 2007, 06:03 AM)

Just like any of the other books. Objective is to release an 'official looking' book. Which is why the pdf I was showing you starts with the Game Information which is always at the end of each chapter to describe the game mechanics of all the 'cool stuff' you just read.

Also, side note, alot of the 'flavor text' is usually considered Canon by people. Although I don't mind random input, we will need to make sure anything anyone adds is completely compatable with the rules we write.

As for the tobaco industry idea, I thought at first you were joking. Are you serious? You want rules for smoking? o.O

I've just noticed SOTA isn't always super hot effective mil-spec tech, but also has some fun fluff information. And I've always thought that cigarettes are no part of the gritty Shadowrun atmosphere, and we might as well include it, i mean, hell, we've got at least 3 types of cellular phones, and we have drugs, completely cybernetic, or chemical, and even awakened, I'm sure people will be puffing away more than ever, hey, something's sure to geek you before lung cancer does. So yeah, I was serious, about having a fun subject, If you don't want to include it, that's fair enough, it's your project, and I'm willing to help with ideas, writing, and artwork, but it's still your project.

Of course, you'd have the final say of which 'flavour text' made it through, as you felt was appropriate, but it might create a natural feel to have some non-scripted dialogue from people with genuinely different viewpoints, in character of course.

ps. And as always at this time of night (in the australian summer/christmas holidays) I've been drinking, so I apolagize for spelling mistakes and general psychotic diatribes, not to mention innacurate use of vocabulary.
Sphynx
Oh, I don't object to information on smoking being in the book, but where? Admittedly, there's always fluff in the books, but always as part of something useful to Shadowrunners. Best thing I can think of is to include some new Edges and Flaws, of which a flaw can be smoker and chain smoker. But not sure where to put the 'fluff' then since you can't really put 'fluff' in the BP part of a book.

Of course, there will be a 'Year In' chapter that could include major media outlets and trends if a new smoking trend develops. Maybe include a story on a 'new brand' that broke into the 'top 10' brands but had some negative side effects or something else of interest that could involve Runners.

On a side note, I'm thinking of including some 'history' of the past year in the book based on some games. Our own games in 2064 were mostly Denver playing offensive instead of defensive against Aztlan. That may have effected certain markets and trends as Aztlan, in our games at least, took some major hits. Basically a Civil War in Mexico sort of story I was going to write. Hearing what other runners have done in the 2064 year would be good for the book as well.
Sir_Psycho
I like where you're going. Edges and flaws for addiction (probably just flaws really), that don't result in outright cancer in 2d6 weeks would be excellent for "grit".

I also think it would be good if a new company came in and started muscling out other established cigarette companies, even bribing/co-ercing governments to impose tobacco sanctions/increased taxes. This would open up some novel Shadowrunning ideas for GM's I think, and plus, I think more runners should indulge in a few filthy habits. And with some extra interest in the "legal" tobacco trade, it'd be worth mentioning on shadowland.

"Hey chummers, I know most of this is nothing new to you, most of you logged in here probably have your meatbods sucking a cancer stick right now. But, of course with recent sanctions slapped on the Azzie's tobacco imports, and some some of the plantations in the CAS and the Carribean league hit by sudden (and completely co-incidental) mana storms, we thought you'd appreciate a little screamsheet put together, especially seeing as none of us know who the frag is running the new pack'o'death nico corp, Lovingfield (feel the love). Sift through the advertising drek, and stick this in your jack and smoke it.

>>>SYSter>>>-Yo-mommas-birthday<<<
Sphynx
So start writing up addiction rules (include alcohol and other oddities) and a story as told by a narrator (ex Corp Man for the tobacco company perhaps?). Also, maybe come up with more Edges/Flaws that would be nice. I know personally I've many times looked for an addiction style flaw, so that one is an auto-add of course. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Fortune)
Hmmm ... I seem to recall at least a couple of mentions in canon as to how good and effective Aztechnology's PR is, as far as the general public is concerned.

i think we're thinking about the same mentions. i'm pretty sure i recall them talking about how AZT's spin doctors focus on the subsidiaries.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 20 2007, 05:18 AM)
the average Joe hears terrible things about Aztechnology, and thinks they're the devil.

I don't have my copy of Corporate Download here, but I'm pretty sure that's not correct at all.

Edit: too slow. Well, if anyone does have CD, they can end this debate.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012