Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for a way to nerf a cannon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
cristomeyers
My runners managed to pick up a PAC during another GMs game (he's now one of the players. we know each other's work well enough that making new characters would've been more trouble than it was worth). They've had their fun with it, but it's starting to disrupt the game balance. The gangers they're up against now can't even begin to stand up to it.

So the question is, how do I nerf it? I've been waiting for a critical failure, but none is forthcoming. What are some other ways I could nerf the thing in the two days the runners have before the meet for payment and the next plot point?
Austere Emancipator
Make everybody either scream and run away in terror or open fire at them the instant anybody notices it -- and it's not like a 1.5-meter, 20kg metal contraption is hard to miss. Everybody in a half-mile radius will hear when it's fired, and law enforcement from all over the area will arrive ASAP with SWAT and all.

Man-portable weapons capable of causing destruction far greater than the PAC in SR4 exist in real life, but you hardly ever see them, at least outside of warzones. Not just because they're extremely difficult to get at, but also because they're largely useless outside of an actual warzone.
Butterblume
You could make ammo scarce, so they'll only use the PAC when they think they have too.

Of course, this only works if they haven't hoarded ammunition yet.
Homme-qui-rigole
Easy!

Next time they use the Panther in the street, make a Lone Star Swat team appears to neutralize the runners.

Also, you can "control" the use of the Assault Cannon by making the AC ammo difficult to obtain. availibility for Assault Cannon is 16F, so you can crank up the price and Avail with hefty modifier because it's classified Forbidden. Next, you can force the runners to track down ammo boxes one by one, wich will consume big time ressource. With that, the runners will think twice about it before shooting ganger wannabe and instead keep the ammo's for big stuff and really important matter.

P.S. a fireball against a Assault Cannon ammo box is so funny! vegm.gif
Konsaki
Austere hit the fix right on the head.
Just make the shadowrunners have to go through a random security checkpoint that the Star set up for drunk drivers. Once the Star does a quick Cyberware Scan and Chem Sniffer test, they will have ? and ! sticking up over their heads as they radio in for backup that instant.
cristomeyers
Thanks guys. The only reason Lone Star hasn't come down on them like a pack of hammers was because they don't really have any sway in the neighborhood where it was being used. Of course, now that there's been reports of a team with full body armor (already nerfed) and a PAC running amok in the Humanis' "nice neighborhood", things could get really interesting.

I'm thinking a fireball to the ammo box or thereabouts is going to be the way to go, though I'll probably use a grenade or a lucky shot. The holder of the cannon and his compatriot need to be taught a lesson before the GMPC they keep tormenting sets them on fire with an ignite spell.

Guess that leads me to my next question (better than cluttering with another thread). How much is too much when warning runners in-game? Here's the thing, these two runners (out of a group of around 7) have been making some real bad decisions (like, shooting innocents) and noteriety points just won't do it.

Right now, the GMPC that I've been using to help steer the characters when it's needed these two have been tormenting. Out of game, I know it's in good fun and I'm not entirely sure he actually means his character is doing it. In game, he's aggravating a young woman, a spirit hunter mage, that has PTSD from being gang raped. And I have left clues as too her condition (she recoils when touched, freaked out when she woke up to their Ork shaman using a Heal spell for wounds to her chest, etc).

Her reaction would be to set the idiot on fire (only reason she didn't set the Ork on fire was she was wounded). But I don't feel right doing that for A) something they don't know and B)playing his character. Other players have agreed that these two need to be taught a little lesson and one is actually hoping I set the guy on fire.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Homme-qui-rigole)
Easy!

Next time they use the Panther in the street, make a Lone Star Swat team appears to neutralize the runners.

I thought that openly brandishing an assault cannon was worth at least a platoon of Metroplex Guard soldiers in an armored personnel carrier.
Konsaki
Random LoneStar Sniper misses and doesnt headshot the wielder but destroys an integral part of the PAC, disabling it for all intensive purposes. Make the repair TN pretty high, so if any of them have the Armorer skill, they cant do an 'on the spot' fix.
Ophis
Have a Wombrick (or other large stupid para-animal) escape from the zoo and eat the cannon.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Random LoneStar Sniper misses and doesnt headshot the wielder but destroys an integral part of the PAC, disabling it for all intensive purposes. Make the repair TN pretty high, so if any of them have the Armorer skill, they cant do an 'on the spot' fix.

Why does he miss? wink.gif

And, to be an ass:

All intents and purposes.
Blog
"So some new kids on the street got some fancy weapon? That would be great for our gang! lets hunt'm down boys!"

Its an illegal weapon that is hard to obtain, if the money/motive is right someone might come looking to 'borrow' it.
Mistwalker
Easy
Next time they torment her, have her cast fireball, but at the last second target it near them, rather than kill them.
Happen to have the fireball hit the PAC and it's ammo.
Have her tear a strip off of the two, but ready to either run or light them on fire.

Both problems handled with one action.
Konsaki
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 15 2007, 12:32 PM)

And, to be an ass:

If he misses, the player doesnt get to roll a reaction test, not that he wasnt surprised anyways... biggrin.gif

Yeah, yeah... I'm not the best at writing out my native language...
mfb
maybe he meant that the PAC would still be useful in low-pressure situations?

this is the sort of thing that, as a GM, you really want to plan ahead for. i know you weren't responsible for giving them the PAC in the first place. however, when you first took the GM reigns, it would've been wise to start thinking about how to get rid of (or nerf) the PAC and other high-powered items, if necessary.

the solution i'd go with, since it requires no preparation and little explanation, is to simply state that the ammunition for it is no longer commonly available. market conditions, or whatever. you don't even have to cut them off completely--just sharply limit how much they can acquire at one time.

of course, smart runners could find a use for even an empty PAC. some quick work can make it look loaded; that'd be worth a nice bonus to intimidation and certain negotiations.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (cristomeyers)
I'm thinking a fireball to the ammo box or thereabouts is going to be the way to go [...]

Are there still rules for small arms ammunition magically exploding and firing their projectiles with perfect accuracy at the sort of velocity they'd usually only reach through 20" barrels when the magazines they're in are hit with low-power fire-related spells?

If not, anybody hit with a Fireball should be more concerned with the topmost layers of his self being burnt away than any ammunition failure.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Konsaki)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Jan 16 2007, 04:11 AM)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 15 2007, 12:32 PM)

And, to be an ass:

If he misses, the player doesnt get to roll a reaction test, not that he wasnt surprised anyways... biggrin.gif

Yeah, yeah... I'm not the best at writing out my native language...

Dead players don't need reaction rolls.... smile.gif

I am against generally nerfing the PAC, though, for the sake of nerfing it.

Ammo hard to find? Check! Built in to the rules. And very likely used to track them later.

Someone attacking the ammo box because they hate them? A bit over the top.

Escalated response? Check! That's a military grade weapon. It brings a military grade response.

cetiah

Three alternatives to nerfing:

1. Have someone on the street (maybe through an illegal matrix ad) want to buy the panther cannon. It doesn't cost all that much, and if you offer enough nuyen to install some new cybergear, bioware, or magical doohickey, it might just be worth it for the player. Make it clear that they won't be able to just get another one to replace it. Allow them to negotiate for a higher price, or for favors. Give them a new contact out of the deal.

2. Explain to the players that it might not be appropriate for your next run without starting World War X in Seattle. They might not agree, but might become more responsive if you offer them Karma for not using it or for getting rid of it. You don't need a LOT of Karma, just one or two points for everyone in the group to build up the social tension. "Guys, we need to lose the panther cannon. It's not working out. During this next run, try to find some opportunity to let it go out with style, like it deserves. You'll all get an extra Karma point or two to mourn the loss of your partner's amazingly heroic sacrifice."

3. Put the player in a situation where he'll need an extra Edge point, and offer to instantly refresh his edge in exchange for the effects of a critical glitch. Hint that he may lose the panther cannon for the deal, but at least he'll survive the terrible fate he just stumbled into. Have the character narrate what he's doing with the edge point and if it sounds cool or self-sacrificing, award him a Karma point for his character's amazing brush with death.

hyzmarca
Well, certain Seatle neighborhoods are war zones and PACs aren't out of place there at all.

I see no reason to nerf the weapon when it would be far simpler to adjust the ganger's tactics so that the weapon would be of limited usefulness against them. (Gangers do have tactics). The proper use of cover, concealment, and stealth could allow a ganger to close to melee range where the cannon would be more useful as a club, for example.
Charon
A few zones in Seattle are as good as war zones. In these locations, walking around with assault rifle, heavy armor and one heavy weapon (I prefer the Heavy Machine gun on a gyromount to the assault, cannon, it's more powerful and useful).

But then, the same goes for the opposition. Even a small gang can scrape the money for one big gun between them all (Or just have acquired it by ambushing the previous gang of runner running around in their turf with big guns).

And beside, considering you are professional runners, I would expect the target to be tougher than a bunch of bums. Otherwise, why bother hiring you instead of less skilled and cheaper operators? So whoever your target are in this urban warzone, they should be able to exploit the same condition the runner are and use heavy ordinance and booby traps that can blow you into space.

I feel it's just fun once in a while to find an excuse to cut loose with the big weapons. It's a change of pace.

Obviously, 80-90% of runs take place in situations where it's impossible to bring in heavy weapons so I say just have fun with them when you can.
Thane36425
There is another option as well. Instead of Lone Star, have another team of runners learn of this team and its PAC and try to take it from them. Have that team be at least as good as your team and strike from ambush. Its underhanded, but you could have them raid one of the runner's homes and take them hostage to trade for the PAC. For that matter, one or more of the gangs might have hired the runners to get rid of the team that had been plaguing them and the gun is part of the payment.

What SR4 is missing is the legality chart of the previous versions. Merely getting caught with a PAC would probably bring down a fantastic fine and a couple of decades in prison. I don't have one of the books with such a chart in it to hand though.

WhiskeyMac
To NERF the PAC I would probably just have someone who is bigger and better want it and come try and get it. Having a group of "miscreants" running around armed like soldiers blasting away at things with a highly illegal weapon would bring down LS SWAT and Metroplex Guards on the scene very, very fast. There's no real reason, other than a merc campaign or a Barrens campaign, that these PCs should be wandering around with a PAC without being accousted on some instance. Think about that bank robbery in LA awhile ago with the guys dressed in heavy armor and blasting people with assault rifles. That is the reason that we now have cops walking around with SMGs, ARs and heavy bulletproof vests. Let the characters know that they don't live in a vaccuum and can do what ever they want because they have a big stick. Have somebody show up with 2 big sticks and teach them a lesson. They're making a bad name for shadowrunners everywhere and somebody is going to take offense.

On the griefing the GMPC, have her fuck them up. Fireball their ass back to oblivion. Let them know before hand and/or through the game that she has some mental problems. If they keep griefing her about it FUCK THEM UP. Unless they agree to stop messing with her then have her light them up.
Charon
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Jan 15 2007, 05:47 PM)
There is another option as well. Instead of Lone Star, have another team of runners learn of this team and its PAC and try to take it from them. Have that team be at least as good as your team and strike from ambush.

Yep, an NPC team as good at the PCs will dedicate its time to track down the runners in the hope of stealing a piece of equipment worth 5,500 nuyen.gif Instead of finding a standard run that will pay the whole team 25,000 nuyen.gif to 100,000 nuyen.gif (5,000 to 20,000 per team member on a team of 5, depending on the economy of the campaign).

"Hey guys, instead of getting ourselves a run, let's track down other runners. It's hard to do, it won't pay much, it will hurt our rep a bit as it will show us to be more like scavengers than runners and if we are successful it will get us a toy that only one team member can use, and then only for those few missions were stealth isn't an issue. That's what we'll do this week intsead of finding work to pay the rent. Speaking of which, can I borrow 5 grand? I think I'll be short this month."

Might as well just retcon the PAC. It will be just as transparant but will waste less game time and spare the players from seeing a PC possibly killed for no good reason. It's one thing to see a PC die during a campaign storyline, quite another to see him die in a pointless ambush because the GM wanted to take toys away.

---

It's no crime to get a PAC. It has its use but it's not a gamebreaker unless you were playing very small scale (And then, why would you run into a PAC?).
Kasheu
one answer to solve all your PAC problems...... ball lightning

or just simply say what my GM has told the group im with..."whatever you use I can use too" sure its fun shooting a PAC but being shot at by one....not so fun lol
The Jopp
Have a noob mage put up a weak barrier right in front of the barrel.

Delayed action would allow the mage to cast it at the moment of firing. The shell would stop and detonate at the barrier and there would be a backwash.
djinni
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Have a noob mage put up a weak barrier right in front of the barrel.

can't use logic in a game like this.
you'd use the rules for firing through barriers, the target would receive extra armor dice.
is the cannon is that much of a problem?
if it is, are you using appropriate countermeasures?
why is a fully armored anti-material group of runners fighting gangers anyway?
Kesslan
QUOTE (djinni)
why is a fully armored anti-material group of runners fighting gangers anyway?

Yeah I gotta wonder about that myself. Thats bloody expensive ammo to use on some crappy gangers. I should know. I used to shoot them up with my Barret...

Well ok not on a regular basis. But I did once because they'd really pissed me off and I felt the run was 'important' enough that I wasted about a grand worth of ammo for it on em.
TBRMInsanity
If you are having trouble with a cannon then have the lone star take it away from them. Think about it, if you were to walk down the street carrying a rocket launcher today what would most likely happen to you? You would be beaten within an inch of your life and then you would be placed in a cell to rot for the rest of your life. Not much has changed in the SR world. The second they take their cannon on a run, you have the star show up and arrest them. If they complain, have the officer state that their spotter drone caught them on tape and they are busted.
Jrayjoker
If the PCs are just running around blasting with the PAC like the criminals in Robocop (yeah, thats how I think of the PAC), then I totally agree that they have been recorded by a drone and there is now a warrant for their arrest with relatively accurate descriptions. Let the hassle of changing their appearance and MO do the talking. if they keep using it, then escalate the response like others have said. [ed.] Of course their fixer will have to call them and warn them about the warrants, for a fee. [/ed.]

With regard to the hassling of a GMPC: If it is reasonable, have the GMPC freak out and scream at the PCs about not letting them rape her and then go catatonic. The GMPC is no longer an asset, and will need a lot of TLC to recover and be useful again. And if they keep up the BS, she disappears.

Of course, you probably want to have an OOC discussion with the whole group about what they want out of a gaming session, campaign, etc..
Dashifen
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Of course, you probably want to have an OOC discussion with the whole group about what they want out of a gaming session, campaign, etc..

There's the kicker. It sounds like you and the team may be at cross-purposes a bit. Chat with them for a bit prior to your next game and if they want to play a higher-powered game with bigger guns and flashier magics, then have them hired for mercenary work or something similar.

As for the PTSD GMPC, if you want to give the players some more clues about her background before she starts making people extra crispy, try nightmares. Doesn't even have to be all of the team, if the GMPC is shacked up with some members of the team on an over-nighter, she starts screaming and shouting in her sleep. Since she'd be asleep, some of the normal conscious efforts she'd use to keep secrets would probably be less effective and she might shout out something that makes her history more clear to the players.
Moon-Hawk
Another thought about the GMPC. It sounds like you've created a GMPC that has an interesting backstory, and you've obviously invested more into her than a standard "shopkeeper NPC". You probably like this NPC more than most, and are a little attached to her, and all that is fine.
However, as you mentioned, this GMPC is sometimes used to steer the group. From the very little that you have told us about the players, it occurs to me that they may be the type that, if they feel as though they are being steered by said GMPC, they may resent that aspect of the game and thus, resent and hate the GMPC. Since you are fond of the GMPC, you may not be seeing this.
This is just an idea, I don't know near enough about the situation to call it a theory. But oh, how I wish I could decide which NPCs my players would decide to love and which ones they'd decide to hate ahead of time. But hey, if I wanted predictable I'd be a novelist, not a GM.
I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. One of my personal GM rules is: Never become so attached to an NPC that you're not willing to see them die. This includes GMPCs. If you find yourself so attached to an NPC, they must be retired to a minimum safe distance away from the campaign.
cristomeyers
Fair enough, Moon Hawk. Yes, I am a bit attached to her, but the odds of her making it through the campaign are pretty slim. I don't think there's resentment at being prodded a little. When I say steering, I mean that if the PCs are having trouble figuring out a particular point in the campaign, she pipes up with an idea that leads them there. So far, the only way I've used her to steer the campaign was that she was the group's objective (bodyguard). I am definitely going to start watching that a lot more carefully now, though.

The only reason the runners went into the situation fully armed for bear was some my fault and some the tactical mind of the group's fault. When I said the Humanis cell was in control of the neighborhood, I meant that they essentially policed it (protection, small groups patrolling, things like that). He thought I meant they were going into Mogadishu with folks every five feet firing automatic weapons and RPG's. Miscommunication there. The situation turned into essentially a FPS fragfest, but it was fun and that's my goal. Like someone said earlier, sometimes it's fun to just let loose with heavy weaponry. Now they've had their fun and I just want ways to make sure it doesn't happen again and really mess up the campaign.

On the group, they are looking for a long-term campaign. The reason the PAC came into play in the first place is because the "if the players can, NPC's can" rule backfired. If the NPC's can, the players can.
kigmatzomat
Simple ways to get the PAC under control and the players aware of the situation and taking it seriously.

1. They get called to a meet; the Johnson turns out to be a local who recognizes the PCs. He immediately cancels the meet, possibly to the players faces but maybe through the fixer, citing their use of unreasonable ordinance. Have that be a function of their notoriety.

2. Sting. have Lonestar "pollute" a shipment of PAC ammunition with a tracer so that people who are close to the PAC firing glow under UV light. Naturally, this is the ammo the party has. Oh yeah, there's also some RFID tags in the propellant so they can be sure where the tagged ammo was fired (meaning if they get caught, they'll be blamed for every use of the ammo). BTW, using a tag eraser will cause the ammo to detonate. Boo-yah!

3. Bounty. PACs scare people with good reason. Have a 1,000Y reward for information leading to arrest of the persons who posses and used a PAC. It's enough that gangers and little old ladies will readily roll over but not so much that people start hunting the party.

4. Media. Use of a PAC in the city, even in the barrens, is perfect for a sweeps week expose. Have the runners' stomping grounds seeded with small aerial camera drones, looking to catch a glimpse of the numnuts. The other local dirtbags are displeased with the attention and consider outing the party.
sunnyside
Honestly I wouldn't worry about the assault cannon. Death comes easy in shadowrun and with the combination of physical attacks vs mana spells it's hard to get a character shielded from everything.

I didn't restrict my characters access to those sorts of toys at all (beyond the difficulties in aquiring items as described in the books).

However they knew that to get paid more they had to take tougher missions and they could either take more skill based/sneaky/thinky missions or they could take bigger gun missions. The system is deadly enough they didn't want to take the big gun missions.

I did however let them occasionally toss them missions where they could just go to town. Every so often players just like reveling in being bad mofos.
Charon
An assault rifle with 5 points of recoil compensations firing a long burst :

11P, -1AR

A Panther AC

10P -5 AR

Statistically, 11P -1AR is worth pretty much the same thing as 10P -4AR.

So there isn't much difference against a soft target. Well, there's range, but in an urban situation it's not much of an issue.

As I said in my first post, I consider an HMG on a tripod or gyromount to be much more dangerous than a PAC.

Unless you rule that AR and MG bullets are stopped cold by armored vehicle, there's really bot much use for the PAC at all in your arsenal.
Konsaki
That -5 AR really helps with busting through armor though. Course AP rounds for a rifle will do the same thing...
Hagarzen
Hello Alex wink.gif

Why take away our BFG9000? I used that claymore fair and well it doesn't matter because they got blown up good!

Okay for real, yes we went loaded for bear but who wouldn't? This isn't a duel! I'm also very ticked off at A20K for a personal matter, good thing we didn't start taking out houses!

See ya next game smile.gif

Cross

edit for spelling
Zen Shooter01
It's NPC, not GMPC.
cetiah
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
It's NPC, not GMPC.

I'm pretty sure he was going for irony to make a point...
sunnyside
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
It's NPC, not GMPC.

Nah, I think GMPC expresses the kind of NPC it is. I know I've seen a few when I was on the other side of the table.

Personally, I don't use them in my games though, but they are popular.
hyzmarca
If the GMPC has PTSD due to a gang rape and if she is a danger to the PCs because of it, then the PCs would be better off editing her memories to remove the offending incident. In fact, if they were in a position to cast Mind Probe her and cast Alter Memory on her while she was unconscious, it would be ideal. This is probably a far worse violation than the rape, but she'll never know.
cetiah
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If the GMPC has PTSD due to a gang rape and if she is a danger to the PCs because of it, then the PCs would be better off editing her memories to remove the offending incident. In fact, if there were in a position to cast Mind Probe her and cast Alter Memory on her while she was unconscious, it would be ideal. This is probably a far worse violation than the rape, but she'll never know.

I'm sure there's a place they can go get this done for a moderate fee. Just bring something she's worn and you can expect your results in 6-7 days. For a bit extra, they can replace the memory with a standard selection from their extensive simsense collection or give you a hardcopy BTL chip in case you ever again wonder what you've forgot.

MemMaker Inc, proud member of the Mitsuhama family
"It's doesn't take a brain surgeon to know when you need peace of mind."
Kesslan
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
This is probably a far worse violation than the rape, but she'll never know.

It is really. But.. then who cares? It's Shadowrun baby! Your rights? Dont matter! What you want? Doesnt matter chummer! Woohoo! Now eat your soy n' krill like a good little boy! cyber.gif

As to the PAC. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Ammo controls the gun really. I certainly remember how as much as I loved my barret, and dispite the fact that I ultimately stocked up about 200+ rounds for it. I never used it much. For alot of reasons.

A) It was bulky. Bulky on most runs... is bad.
B) It's expensive to fire.

So most of the time I just used a much cheaper, regular sniper rifle. That or an SMG or some such. And really if the whole goign loaded for bear with big guns etc came about from a miscommunication? Well then I really wouldnt worry about it. They went in expecting serious oposition.. only to find.. there wasnt. As long as they dont -normally- go HEY! Gangers! My god we need the HMGs and missile launhcers STAT! then.. you've got relaly nothing to worry about.

Besides. THey'd quickly run out of money doing that. Gangers dont pay enough to cover the replacement cost on that much ammo even if you've got the time to loot everything they have on them.
cristomeyers
Was wondering when Cross would show up. Careful man, or I'll make the guys elect you leader. biggrin.gif

Right now, watching ammo is seeming like the best option, it just never occured to me. It's amazing what you don't think about when you're actually LOOKING for a solution.

As to the Mind Probe/Memory Wipe. If they're going to try it while she sleeps, they'll probably fail. People with similar conditions tend to be very light sleepers (go figure), a Blackberry Cat padding across the floor would probably wake her up, much less a Mind Probe. Secondly, they damn well better succeed, otherwise every runner in the place is going up in flames. As for ritual magic, the runners have enough issues to worry about without trying to set her off. They're more than welcome to try, but again, word gets to her and someone's turning extra crispy. The trauma is also a plot point that I have yet to fully flesh out because it wouldn't come into play until much later.

As to GMPC, you're right, I'm using the term wrong. Persistent NPC is probably a much better description.
Zen Shooter01
major or recurring NPC is the standard nomenclature.

This has been said, but the Panther is a large, heavy, impossible to conceal, noisy, thoroughly illegal piece of equipment. That should be enough to curb its mission applications.
toturi
QUOTE (cristomeyers)
Fair enough, Moon Hawk. Yes, I am a bit attached to her, but the odds of her making it through the campaign are pretty slim. I don't think there's resentment at being prodded a little. When I say steering, I mean that if the PCs are having trouble figuring out a particular point in the campaign, she pipes up with an idea that leads them there. So far, the only way I've used her to steer the campaign was that she was the group's objective (bodyguard). I am definitely going to start watching that a lot more carefully now, though.

The only reason the runners went into the situation fully armed for bear was some my fault and some the tactical mind of the group's fault. When I said the Humanis cell was in control of the neighborhood, I meant that they essentially policed it (protection, small groups patrolling, things like that). He thought I meant they were going into Mogadishu with folks every five feet firing automatic weapons and RPG's. Miscommunication there. The situation turned into essentially a FPS fragfest, but it was fun and that's my goal. Like someone said earlier, sometimes it's fun to just let loose with heavy weaponry. Now they've had their fun and I just want ways to make sure it doesn't happen again and really mess up the campaign.

On the group, they are looking for a long-term campaign. The reason the PAC came into play in the first place is because the "if the players can, NPC's can" rule backfired. If the NPC's can, the players can.

From what I read, I am thinking that you are looking for a solution that is already built into the game, without resorting to a GM plot device scenario. I'd limit myself to game mechanic solutions:

1) Concealability: A Panther XXL is difficult to conceal(but surprisingly not more so than a katana or an assault rifle) and it is Forbidden.

2) Notoriety and Public Awareness: Getting arrested, earning a contract on her life(I suppose a bounty would apply), killing an innocent person. However, you would do well to note that Notoriety(and because a character may not have a Notoriety point for something he already has) may be reduce permanently by burning Street Cred and a savvy runner with some Street Cred can go on a killing spree(hence racking up Notoriety and thus Public Awareness) and then burn his Street Cred to become anonymous again(I'd not saying that it makes real life sense, but it is the rules and most of you guys know how I am when it comes to the rules ™ )
Hagarzen
Good morning all,

Alex for your first problem of the BFG that will take care of it's self since we have very few chances to use it. (we have had it for a while now without using it).

For the second issue. One remember that Syphon has a SIN criminal. Second I don't want that leading back to my place of employment ( I also have a legal SIN). So I will be talking to them next time about that. For the wacked out firestarter, have her to them into fried chicken. It is Shadowrun, they might need a example made.

Best
Cross

cristomeyers
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Trust me, the PAC is safe for now. I've been thinking about this for awhile and on second thought, there's not much reason to go out of my way to take it out. Though if it gets out of hand...

Cross:
There's a reason I don't use my magic all that often. Sypho (or whatever he calls himself) isn't worth the...effort, yet.

Gabryel
pbangarth
QUOTE (cristomeyers)
My runners managed to pick up a PAC during another GMs game (he's now one of the players. we know each other's work well enough that making new characters would've been more trouble than it was worth). They've had their fun with it, but it's starting to disrupt the game balance. The gangers they're up against now can't even begin to stand up to it.

I'm sure folks will enlighten me if I am way off base on this, but I don't see the PAC as being any more dangerous, even to gangers, than any number of other weapons.

A) It doesn't matter by how much you overkill someone, they're dead even if the damage is just enough.

B) The PAC has one shot per action... meaning at most one kill per action. Any number of weapons have faster fire rates per action phase and burst capabilities to bump up the damage to similar levels. Particularly against poorly armoured opponents , multiple shots/multiple targetting is going to get you more kills per action phase. The AP value of the PAC is impressive, but the extra damage that allows brings us back to A.

Gangers are dangerous, not individually, but because they gang up on you. Even a crack team can have problems if 20 or 30 gangers set out to take them down. Who is going to be more successful against a mob, the single-shot guy or the spray-half-the-city-with-lead guy?
pbangarth
I guess I should have read ALL the posts before replying. My post above is redundant. Sorry.
lorechaser
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 17 2007, 11:20 AM)
I guess I should have read ALL the posts before replying.  My post above is redundant.  Sorry.

Redundancy is not allowed.

We don't permit it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012