Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long do your runs take?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cetiah
This is the companion thread to How Much Is Your Run Worth?. Please check it out if you haven't already.

I'm curious how you GMs and players out there manage Time as a resource in your games.

How long do your runs take? How much time passes between runs?

What methods are used to slow down and speed up the game? Do time-based extended tests (such as Availability or Healing tests) really create any kind of significant time delays in your game?

Do the players manage time as a resource or does the GM just say, "it's a month later and this is the situation" at the beginning of each session?

How do your characters spend their "downtime"?

Is shadowrunning a part-time gig?
HappyDaze
How long do your runs take? How much time passes between runs?

Most of our runs take 3-5 days including legwork and preparation. We usually take two runs per month.

What methods are used to slow down and speed up the game? Do time-based extended tests (such as Availability or Healing tests) really create any kind of significant time delays in your game?

No special methods are needed. Yes, Availability and Healing can be ongoing while the run schedule continues. We often have gear that we're still waiting on into the next run. NEVER take a run that requires hard to get items you don't already have - stock up on these things in advance, it's the professional thing to do. We've also done a run without a character or two when they were laid up for healing. The players of the downed characters usually make up 'subcontracted' runners to play for such occasions. We had quite a stable of subcontracted help statted out (about six backups between the five players, IIRC).

Do the players manage time as a resource or does the GM just say, "it's a month later and this is the situation" at the beginning of each session?

Both. It depends upon the player, the character, and the circumstances.

How do your characters spend their "downtime"?

Enjoying the perks of High Lifestyle and indulging in Addictions and whatever other persoanl interests the characters may have. Time spent visiting Contacts with Loyalty 3+ is a big time eater. A small bit of time goes into training and resource acquisition, but you gotta have some fun too.

Is shadowrunning a part-time gig?

No. You may only be on the clock 10 days a month, but getting resources, fencing loot, maintaining contacts, and staying paranoid is most definitely a full time thing.
Cheops
Depends on what level you are running at.

Low level: maybe 3-4 days for a run including all legwork, etc. Probably do 1 run per week, hang out with contacts/meet new people. Mages do their thing. Everyone else builds stuff or else steals things. (My group is big on stealing things they can't afford). Your character probably has a lot of little stuff on their record but nothing that would put them away for long.

Moderate level: closer to a week for runs. Probably only 1-2 days for the actual run but the rest of the time is used for legwork on Johnson, target, security, and getting away. Only take 2 runs a month. May leave town after runs. At this level your characters probably have a pretty big dossier with the Star and local law enforcement (FBI in Seattle).

High level: a run probably takes you a month or more and will often be self-directed. You do less than a hand full of runs a year with lengthy time in between. By this point your record has enough to get the death sentence from many jurisdictions and you've probably been noticed by international bodies such as Interpol.
Konsaki
I have a team of brand new people to the game that I am GMing for. I'm experienced as a player for SR3 and SR4, but I'm sorta a novice for the whole GMing schtick.

Anyways, I've been usually running their characters through 1 day smash and grabs. Though I have done a 3 day timed mission where they were hunting ghouls in the barrens. This last one was also a way for me to add plot to the game since they encountered a Chop Shop for the first time and cleared it out some, though they didnt have the equipment to destroy the building.

I'm thinking of starting them on their first few small infil runs soon, though it will probably be a few sessions before we get to them.
cetiah
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 16 2007, 06:44 PM)
I have a team of brand new people to the game that I am GMing for. I'm experienced as a player for SR3 and SR4, but I'm sorta a novice for the whole GMing schtick.

Anyways, I've been usually running their characters through 1 day smash and grabs. Though I have done a 3 day timed mission where they were hunting ghouls in the barrens. This last one was also a way for me to add plot to the game since they encountered a Chop Shop for the first time and cleared it out some, though they didnt have the equipment to destroy the building.

I'm thinking of starting them on their first few small infil runs soon, though it will probably be a few sessions before we get to them.

What's the difference between a "smash and grab" and an "infil"?
Konsaki
not being quiet and being quiet, respectively.
djinni
QUOTE (cetiah)
What's the difference between a "smash and grab" and an "infil"?

smash/grab:
smash something (usually your way into and out of area), retrieve target (usually an object or data) exit.
Infiltration:
enter and exit unknown to inhabitants of area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012