Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do adepts suck right now?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Serbitar
QUOTE (James McMurray)
How much does that delta synaptic booster 3 cost?

2.6M
Mistwalker
I don't think adepts suck, nor do I think sammies suck.
Both have their place, and can be combined as well.
The only real tweak that I see, is the one I mentioned earlier about lowering the cost for increased reflexes.

I think it depends a lot on what kind of game you want to play, what power level, and the group.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 25 2007, 09:03 PM)

2.6M

I thought it was 2.4 million.

That is if you pay in cash.
James McMurray
So it's way more than is useful in a adepts vs. street sams discussion?
Mistwalker
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Why?

People are always bringing up the "unlimited" magic potential of adepts?
Why not the unlimited potential of bio/cyberware?

You steal a couple of T-birds from Aztech or such, and you have a good part, if not all the money you need. And probably the delta clinic contact too, just cause you are causing grief to Aztech.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jan 25 2007, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jan 25 2007, 07:10 PM)
I want pure adepts to be usefull and stylish and not completely outclassed by mages and SAMs.

SAMs on the other hand are done quite perfect in SR4.

They aren't. They pretty much out-class Sams in my experience. They have no penalties to healing (unlike Sams), they are much, much harder to detect, and their combat abilities are simply amazing. Plus, there is no upper limit on how many powers they can have...you just need the Karma to initiate and upgrade your magic rating. If you made adepts any more attractive to play than they are now, then you might as well remove cyberware from the game; playing a street sam will have become totally useless.

Please re-read this thread.

I did, and you guys are still full of it. In practice, Adepts are superior to Sams in every possible way...just last year I had people trying to explain to me why Sams should even be in the game anymore, given how ridiculously good Adepts are now.

How many games involve Street Sams with a few billion nuyen worth of gear installed? You're comparing a pie in the sky concept samurai against a starting level adept, and you think it's unfair that one outstrips the other?
Xenith
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 25 2007, 01:55 PM)
no, it's your fault for getting mad at people for wanting to discuss power comparisons in a thread about power comparisons.

I'm not mad yet. But you're pushing me that way.

I'm AM pointing out power comparisons. Their concept of powerful and my concept of powerful seem to be out of sync. Whatever. To each their own.

I've not seen the uber kind of power they speak of from a sami who's not lugging around a weapon that defeats half the purpose of shadowrunning. In fact they only examples they give me are of loud weapons that get you killed first. I've also not seem the same level of power from mage thats being run like a mage who values their own life. Once again, overcasting should always be a last resort, or close to it, or you're just powergaming and at that point the whole arguement of who's balanced against who is moot. Numbers and rules do not denote the entirety of Shadowrun "balance"; the history, concepts and flavor text matter at least as much as the rules and numbers.

And again, despite their examples, I've not seen how 9P twice in a pass before any successes is not powerful. Its the same as a pistol on burstfire. So what? Then make a gun adept. Still scary. No smartlink to back you up, well thats what improved ability is for. Not the most efficient use of power, but effective nonetheless. If you think 9P base for about 2 magic (because thats all it takes to boost it to that) is weak then you are thinking in a whole different arena than I am and its not even worth my time to argue the point. Wish I'd though about it that way before.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Mistwalker)

I'd say that the argument of unlimited magic potential is also pretty useless in a discussion about adept vs. sams.
Mistwalker
@Xenith

Don't let mfb get to you. From what I can tell, he seems to be a crochety and cranky fellow who does not like SR4, and enjoys annoying those that play it.

Remember, you didn't post your stats until others asked. You were discussing if adepts suck or not until then.

As for your adept, I feel he is fine. Suited to your setting.
smile.gif
One of my players made a similar char, with no firearm skills, cause he was from the barrens, learned how to throw really well, and ended up with thrown weapons (rubble). He has so far refused to learn any firearm skills. And, on runs carries used bullets from different ranges (tried to misdirect the forensics).
ElFenrir
No smartlink to back you up

Actually, you can get a smartlink put into non-cyber vision enhancements(glasses, contacts, etc.) Helps out alot. smile.gif

Its quite an ongoing debate, what i might sit down and do is simply make up a sam and adept, dump X karma onto each of them(using cash for karma or karma for cash for both) and see what happens after that. Since most GMs i know give 3-5 karma per session, x4 sessions a month, for 12-20k a month, x12 months for a total of...144-240 karma...lets say 200 after a year.

Using 200 karma, lets see what both look like. However my twink skills might not be on par with some. Ill try it anyway to see which is scarier.

My prediction is that both are going to be roughly equal. (I forget the karma for cash ratio, but lets say something like 3k for 1 karma, and vice versa.)

Also, ill give both a total of 200,000 nuyen, ill be really kind and say they pulled big jobs at rougly 20,000 nuyen a month and sock it away and live on the down-low.

Tho im sure this has been done and its still inconclusive, or still weighs in favor of one or the other.
Xenith
Actually, my cousin posted the stats while I was away at work. XD

Thats a neat trick though. I'll store that away for future refrence. biggrin.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 25 2007, 03:09 PM)

Why?

You steal a couple of T-birds from Aztech or such, and you have a good part, if not all the money you need. And probably the delta clinic contact too, just cause you are causing grief to Aztech.

Cyber/Bioware isn't unlimited in its potential. There is a hard limit on how much essence you have, and every point of essence you lose creates a serious disadvantage for you. Adepts have neither of these problems.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Cyber/Bioware isn't unlimited in its potential. There is a hard limit on how much essence you have, and every point of essence you lose creates a serious disadvantage for you. Adepts have neither of these problems.

...alright, alright.

Essence is not the only limiting factor, there are also those pesky Augmented Attribute caps. Yes Muscle Toner or Augmentation 4 would be nice, but if it exceeds the cap, doesn't mater if it's Omega grade.

QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Jan 25 2007, 08:14 PM)

...good way to be in the market for a Jarvic-VII "Sports Model" Heart replacement.

QUOTE (Mistwalker)
One of my players made a similar char, with no firearm skills, cause he was from the barrens, learned how to throw really well, and ended up with thrown weapons (rubble). He has so far refused to learn any firearm skills. And, on runs carries used bullets from different ranges (tried to misdirect the forensics).

...did the same with Hurricane Hannah. Yeah she has those"wimpy"throwing knives, however, she also has a thing for Grenades. She usually has a couple of Flash-Bangs & Pepper Punch (the latter of which actually have been very useful) in her shoulder pack.
James McMurray
I didn't want to derail things more with talk of stealing t-birds, let alone from Aztech. But yeah, it's not something my players would even consider, knowing what kind of a storm would raise up if someone were to make that sort of a run on the Azzies (or Ares, etc.)
lorechaser
QUOTE (Xenith)
I've not seen the uber kind of power they speak of from a sami who's not lugging around a weapon that defeats half the purpose of shadowrunning. In fact they only examples they give me are of loud weapons that get you killed first. I've also not seem the same level of power from mage thats being run like a mage who values their own life. Once again, overcasting should always be a last resort, or close to it, or you're just powergaming and at that point the whole arguement of who's balanced against who is moot. Numbers and rules do not denote the entirety of Shadowrun "balance"; the history, concepts and flavor text matter at least as much as the rules and numbers.

Woot!

This thread now covers at least three great debates!

1. Sams vs Adepts.
2. Powergamers vs Roleplayers
3. Balance vs Fun

WOO!

To steal a phrase, "Posting in a Legendary Thread"
Serbitar
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jan 25 2007, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 25 2007, 09:03 PM)

2.6M

I thought it was 2.4 million.

That is if you pay in cash.

Ah, true.
Serbitar
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jan 25 2007, 09:16 PM)

I did, and you guys are still full of it. In practice, Adepts are superior to Sams in every possible way...just last year I had people trying to explain to me why Sams should even be in the game anymore, given how ridiculously good Adepts are now.

Examples? I can also make up things without giving facts. But that doesnt make them true.
Kyrn
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jan 25 2007, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
This, I think, would entice the adepts to keep it all in magic, rather than branch out into bioware.

Why bother? Why is everyone so hopped up about making straight adepts? Shouldn't an adept with cyber/bioware be better than one without?

I'm so confused by this desire.

Part of it is about keeping a straight adept, keeping the magic flowing.

Part of it is a subtle way of discouraging munchkin min/maxing. I know that you can get delta synaptic booster 3, with a commlink and a bit more gear, all for one magic/power point. You can do something similar with eyes and ears, get the cyber and save on the magic. All this for a small decrease in being able to be healed by magic, but leaving you with lots more power points to boost all the other adept/mystic adept powers.

If the adpet mostly sticks to bioware, with a bit of normal cyberware (commlink, eyes, ears, datajack...), they will be able to go anywhere and not set off any alarms, or raise suspicions, nor will they need permits.

I would rather that there be role playing reason for the adept/mystic adept going under the knife, and not roll playing reasons.

How about this for a "role"-playing reason:
I am a professional criminal.
I am good at my job.
I carefully research my targets, plan my missions, acquire the right tools for the job, study the applicable law and opposition, the history/politics/current events of the area, and do everything I can to be the best professional criminal possible.
I define "the best" as acquiring the most wealth from my job while imposing the least risk possible.
Cyberware and bioware are tools used by other members of my profession, sometimes with impressive results.
Thus, cyber/bioware is a tool I should at least consider using in my chosen profession.

Well? That's how I see any intelligent shadowrunner viewing this situation, and I see no reason to exclude adepts from this thought process. It's the tail end of the 21st century. Not using such an enormously valuable tool is nothing more than stupid (for the character! Not necessarily their players reading) and I...will probably post a longwinded rant on the subject if I don't stop now.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (JonathanC)

...alright, alright.

Essence is not the only limiting factor, there are also those pesky Augmented Attribute caps. Yes Muscle Toner or Augmentation 4 would be nice, but if it exceeds the cap, doesn't mater if it's Omega grade.

True, there are other caps, but, unless I am mistaken, they are also applied to all augmentations, including magical ones

To be able to use that "unlimited" potential, it will take years of real time, let alone game time. I have a char that I started in SR1, with reality shimmers between editions to bring him in line with the new rules. He has over 2000 karma, with his magic attibute now at 16. More than half the karma has been spent on skills. And his best combat skill is at 28 dice, due to a weapon focus, otherwise, his skills range from 12 to 19.

In the time that he has played, cyberware and bioware costs, both nuyen and essence have dropped drastically.

So, in my view, both are well matched, as tech will keep getting better (example, a lot of vision upgrades can now happen in contact lenses, with no essence costs), but magic will probably stay about the same. So, after another 20 years game time, I am sure that more tech will be available out of body, and what does go into the body will be even more essence friendly.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Serbitar)

Examples? I can also make up things without giving facts. But that doesnt make them true.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=15834&hl=

Try searching for OneTrikPony in that thread. wink.gif That's the first example off the top of my head. I do remember a couple months back the prevailing theme on DS seemed to be that Sams were underpowered, and magic was running away with things.

Not really one I bought in to, but it certainly isn't something that just JonathanC thinks.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Kyrn)
I am good at my job.
I carefully research my targets, plan my missions, acquire the right tools for the job, study the applicable law and opposition, the history/politics/current events of the area, and do everything I can to be the best professional criminal possible.
I define "the best" as acquiring the most wealth from my job while imposing the least risk possible.
Cyberware and bioware are tools used by other members of my profession, sometimes with impressive results.
Thus, cyber/bioware is a tool I should at least consider using in my chosen profession.

I would have no problem with that approach in a player, as long as he played a char that did follow those principles.

But not all chars will be that precise and methodical.

That power throwing adept I talked about ealier, he played his char very impulsively, and hated being restrained in any way. So, could not talk himself into getting cyberware.
Kil2k
QUOTE ("Street Magic p.23: Cyberware")

, and some adepts let themselves be enticted by the lure of the unique combat boosts offered by cyberware.

There are indeed some Cyber-/and Bioware Pieces Adepts cannot substitute with their Powers:

Platelet Factories (-1 Damage, when more than 1 Damage at once is received)
Adrenaline Pump (User falls not unconscious, +Willpower raises by rating)
Pain Editor (User falls not unconscious, gives +1 Willpower)
Skillwires + Datajack, (ok with unlimited Karma useless ...)
And a few more ...

At least Platelet Factories and Adrenaline Pump I should be interesting for any Adept. (-0,95 Essence, Basicware)
lorechaser
Platelets were what I usually used to fill up the gap left by Muscle Toner 2.

It's a really nice addition. Of course, it helps if you remember you have it....
Serbitar
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Jan 25 2007, 11:00 PM)

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=15834&hl=

Try searching for OneTrikPony in that thread.  wink.gif  That's the first example off the top of my head.  I do remember a couple months back the prevailing theme on DS seemed to be that Sams were underpowered, and magic was running away with things.

Not really one I bought in to, but it certainly isn't something that just JonathanC thinks.

As far as I know there are only 3 ocasions where adept powers are worth something:

- as a face using Kinesics (broken)
- as a SAM using improved skill as a supplement
- attribute boost (too cheap, totally stupid mechanics)

So this are 3 adept powers worth something out of how many?
Butterblume
Multitasking is the most awesome adept power right now, at least in my opinion cyber.gif.
lorechaser
I tried, I tried so hard....

Gliding.
Wall running.
3-D Mastery.
Multitasking.
Killing Hands.
Elemental Strike.
Rooting.
Commanding Voice.
Combat Sense
Empathic healing
Freefall
Inertia Strike
Metabolic Control
Missle Mastery
Missle Parry
Mystic Armor
Nerve Strike
Pain Relief
Quick Draw (Quick draw a PAC!)
Traceless Walk.

Those are all things that Sams cannot simulate.

Kyrn
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jan 25 2007, 04:51 PM)
I am good at my job.
Cyberware and bioware are tools used by other members of my profession,  sometimes with impressive results.

I would have no problem with that approach in a player, as long as he played a char that did follow those principles.

But not all chars will be that precise and methodical.

That power throwing adept I talked about ealier, he played his char very impulsively, and hated being restrained in any way. So, could not talk himself into getting cyberware.

It would probably be boring if most characters were like that, at least to the point of consciously rationalizing their situation in such a manner. However, the above wasn't intended to be a description of a conscious statement, but of a, most likely, subconscious thought process that shadowrunners would find themselves going through. And as for being impulsive, well Hell! That's how I first got pierced! Cute girl + alcohol + metal show (Buny!) + tatoo/piercinng parlor = which side of my face gets a new hole first?

I digress. I would view impulsive behavioral patterns as being more likely to result in the installation of cyber/bioware. At least the small, readily available stuff. The question of how artificial enhancement would restrain the character also intrigues me. Could you elaborate on this motivation, please?

I can easily see "role"-playing (as it's been called) reasons for anyone, not just adepts, rejecting artificial enhancement: religion, involvement in a sport banning such aid (the Olympics were noted as being particularly anti-everything-but-mundane-unenhanced-humans), surgical related phobias, and paranoid distrust of the gov't/corps who monitor everyone through their cyber.

Others have mentioned the balance v. fun and munchkins v. "real" roleplayers topics, and I shall address them with the following, self-agrandizing, bit of pontification.

I have noticed, both in my core roleplaying group and online reading, a divide in how Shadowrun is played. There are two dominant camps: the cyberpunk camp and the professional criminal camp. The first plays games characterized by the high-tech low-life, SINless street dwellers with attitude fighting the globalizing, dehumanizing, titanic greed of the megacorporations, influenced by early cyberpunk work (Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Cyberpunk RPG); the second plays games emphasizing teamwork, professionalism, and planning, more like the movie Heat than the first. Many groups seem to start in the cyberpunk camp and then drift slowly into the professional criminals camp, though this may simply be influenced more by the game line itself's evolution away from its 80s cyberpunk roots.

Aging and maturation of players may also play a role in this, not that playing a group of street toughs is a sign of immaturity in players, but more that most players of SR eventually become more adept at planning crimes themselves (but that analysis of heightened fascination with criminal activities is another discussion). Inevitably, the professional criminal camp, though frequently possessed of all the roleplaying skill and motivation of the cyberpunk camp, begin more carefully designing their characters to achieve success within the mathematical framework of the game; on gaming forums this is sometimes accompanied by the term "min-maxing," where a characters strengths are developed and weaknesses are addressed during creation and in-game development.

Uh...I'm sure at least four or five people have posted more interesting and on-point posts since I began this, so I'm going to return to the fun-filled world of legal memorandum now.

Kyrn
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Multitasking is the most awesome adept power right now, at least in my opinion cyber.gif.

It is most dope, is it not. love.gif
Nim
QUOTE (Kyrn)
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
This, I think, would entice the adepts to keep it all in magic, rather than branch out into bioware.

Why bother? Why is everyone so hopped up about making straight adepts? Shouldn't an adept with cyber/bioware be better than one without?

I'm so confused by this desire.

As an alternative take on Mistwalker's reply to this...it's an element of the setting, a part of the way the world is presented, that magicians and adepts are reluctant to use cyber or bio. The rules should provide a model for the way the world works. If the setting says 'magically active people avoid augmentation', but the rules are written in such a way that it is advantageous for magically active people to be augmented, then there's a conflict between the two. We can't just assume that all of those NPCs are idiots, after all smile.gif

So, either the rules should support the premise that magically active folks who avoid augmentation are somehow better off than those who don't, or the fluff-text should reflect a change in attitudes in the direction of mildly-augmented magicians.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Kyrn)
The question of how artificial enhancement would restrain the character also intrigues me. Could you elaborate on this motivation, please?

I was mostly thinking of the bigger items.

There is the surgery, where you are immobilized, by drugs, by restraints, or both.

Then there is the recovery time, and learning how to use you new parts.

I have had surgery, most recently for my knee. Not being able to move after the surgery was a royal pain. With my knee mostly locked in one position, it was like wearing a hobble. Stairs became an annoying challenge, specially living in a house with the only washroom on the top floor, but the computer and TV on the bottom floor.
Kyrn
Quoting Nim, editing messed up my block:
"As an alternative take on Mistwalker's reply to this...it's an element of the setting, a part of the way the world is presented, that magicians and adepts are reluctant to use cyber or bio. The rules should provide a model for the way the world works. If the setting says 'magically active people avoid augmentation', but the rules are written in such a way that it is advantageous for magically active people to be augmented, then there's a conflict between the two. We can't just assume that all of those NPCs are idiots, after all smile.gif "

So, either the rules should support the premise that magically active folks who avoid augmentation are somehow better off than those who don't, or the fluff-text should reflect a change in attitudes in the direction of mildly-augmented magicians. [/QUOTE]
Now the motivation to prevent any loss of a resource as precious as magic is a motivation I neglected to mention. I know it's there, but I'm AFMB. What sections in SR4 discuss the aforementioned aversion to ware? I'm pretty sure someone mentioned the bit in Street Magic where they discuss the number of mages with datajacks (a presence in canon since the original Secrets of Power trilogy, circa 2049) earlier in this thread. I think there's something in the BBB's character creation section about magicians and ware (essence of any kind, really). But I still think that refusing the ware is a compulsion that has faded since previous editions. It's been 21 years (in game) since the debut of SR, and I'm trying to think of an analogy that will illustrate the way I see the world's view of alteration.

Okay, after five minutes the best I could come up with was something weird involving the internet, porn, and a sex addict. This means I should get back to work, but is there anyone out there telepathic enough to understand what I'm trying to say and phrase it better?
cristomeyers
Not quite, but I am remembering that the 2nd ed pre-gen Combat Mage actually came with cybereyes.
Roni
In my opinion, you need a reason for everything you have. Why would an adept get cyberware? If you could make a good background story*, I'd allow it. This is where everything comes down to...the GM. If you have a problem with the rules, house-rule it. The BBB isn't the fucking bible.

*Including what power(s) the adept lost when (s)he got the 'ware.
Kyrn
Oh my, a character background. I never would have thought of such a thing. Explaining why my character is who he is, why he does what he does, how he feels about different personal and societal issues, and why he's a shadowrunner. Amazing. I'm in awe of your simple wisdom.
Roni
It's the thing that seperates character sheets from characters. Come on...it's the essential part of everything. Why would a character do something to ruin his own powers to pick up powers from an external source. If that just happened to you, what would you do?
Demerzel
I think that this is largely a rules argument. So as someone who hasn't chimed in on this subject or voiced any opinion on the matter, I'll just add that RP concerns fall outside of the scope of the argument.
toturi
The only time where RP does fall into the scope of the argument is when the GM thinks that adding cyber/bio is not good roleplaying and decides that he'd give less Karma to that PC. But strictly speaking, Karma is given for roleplaying during the game and not for down time actions.
In my opinion, you need a reason for everything you have. Why would an adept get cyberware? If you could make a good background story*, I'd allow it. This is where everything comes down to...the GM. If you have a problem with the rules, house-rule it. The BBB isn't the fucking bible.

HERESY! BURN THE GODDAMNED ORC-LUVIN FLOWER-CHEWIN MOTHER----ER AT THE STAKE! biggrin.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Serbitar)

Examples? I can also make up things without giving facts.

...and I would argue that you have. Adepts don't even need to bother with strength enhancements...they have strike enhancers that let them do massive melee damage without even needing a weapon. I've seen (in my own games) Adepts that can lay waste running around butt-naked. Toss some armor on them, and maybe a mage to back them up, and it gets ugly.

Toss them against a Sam with mage backup, and watch the mage cry the first time he tries to throw out a healing spell on his chromed buddy.
Roni
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I think that this is largely a rules argument. So as someone who hasn't chimed in on this subject or voiced any opinion on the matter, I'll just add that RP concerns fall outside of the scope of the argument.

Point taken. I'm finished here. Tell me when you all finish this, k?
Kyrn
Sarcasm is so often wasted on the young... smokin.gif
cybertrucker
Both have advantages and disadvantages.. thats my 2 cents after running a game for the last year.

A campaign which is about to come to a breaking point for awhile. Want to get a chance to play something instead of running all the time so one of my friends is going to run a Eberron Game (D20) for a few months while we break from SR4 for a bit.
mfb
QUOTE (Xenith)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 25 2007, 01:55 PM)
no, it's your fault for getting mad at people for wanting to discuss power comparisons in a thread about power comparisons.

I'm not mad yet. But you're pushing me that way.

I'm AM pointing out power comparisons. Their concept of powerful and my concept of powerful seem to be out of sync. Whatever. To each their own.

And again, despite their examples, I've not seen how 9P twice in a pass before any successes is not powerful. Its the same as a pistol on burstfire. So what? Then make a gun adept. Still scary. No smartlink to back you up, well thats what improved ability is for. Not the most efficient use of power, but effective nonetheless. If you think 9P base for about 2 magic (because thats all it takes to boost it to that) is weak then you are thinking in a whole different arena than I am and its not even worth my time to argue the point. Wish I'd though about it that way before.

you're pointing out power comparisons, and then whenever someone points out that he can be matched by a character who takes combat as a secondary area of expertise, you're saying "well, i didn't build this adept to be powerful, i built him to be cool".

you built a cool knife guy--great. you don't care whether or not your knife guy is as powerful as someone else's street sam or adept build--great. but the point of this thread is to discuss whether or not an adept can keep up with a street sam--to compare how powerful one type is in relation to the other. you've stated quite clearly, several times, that you're not here to do that. you want to get mad at me for pointing out that you're sidestepping the entire crux of the argument, go ahead.
Kyrn
QUOTE (mfb)
you're pointing out power comparisons, and then whenever someone points out that he can be matched by a character who takes combat as a secondary area of expertise, you're saying "well, i didn't build this adept to be powerful, i built him to be cool".

you built a cool knife guy--great. you don't care whether or not your knife guy is as powerful as someone else's street sam or adept build--great. but the point of this thread is to discuss whether or not an adept can keep up with a street sam--to compare how powerful one type is in relation to the other. you've stated quite clearly, several times, that you're not here to do that. you want to get mad at me for pointing out that you're sidestepping the entire crux of the argument, go ahead.

Shhh...
It's after midnight. Confronting irate posters with logic after midnight is like feeding Mowgli; it really shouldn't be done unless you have...

<blink>

How the fuck did that movie end?
Crusher Bob
Assuming you are speaking about the old Disney Jungle Book, I think it ends with him following the girl into the human village. But I could be wrong.
Kyrn
Wait, did I get the name wrong...ah!

Mogwai! Not Mowgli. Damn it.

The furry little beastie from Gremlins...
Crusher Bob
Wasn't the fuzzy-wuzzy from Gremlins named 'Gizmo'? I think it ended with them chasing the mohawk gremlin around in a movie theatre and ends with him melting in the sunlight, or something like that.
Narse
Um... sorry to be on topic here but I thought someone should mention that adept powers arent the only perks of being an adept. There is also meta-magic. It's true that most of it isn't very benificial to adepts but Adept Centering in particular is very useful. It allows adept to center like magicians in order to reduce negative modifiers to thier dice pool for any combat or physical skill by their initiate grade. That is all combat and physical skills (there are a lot!). Now think how many negative modifiers there are to dice pools for those skills (especcially combat). Also remember that you can always call a shot on an attack for a negative modifier of between -1 and -4 to incerease DV if for some reason you are facing no negative modifiers that you don't already have reduced.
Serbitar
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jan 26 2007, 02:03 AM)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jan 25 2007, 09:48 PM)

Examples? I can also make up things without giving facts.

...and I would argue that you have. Adepts don't even need to bother with strength enhancements...they have strike enhancers that let them do massive melee damage without even needing a weapon. I've seen (in my own games) Adepts that can lay waste running around butt-naked. Toss some armor on them, and maybe a mage to back them up, and it gets ugly.

Toss them against a Sam with mage backup, and watch the mage cry the first time he tries to throw out a healing spell on his chromed buddy.

Agility? Body? Reaction? Armour? Strength for skill tests?

Everything is about 2-5 times more expensive for the adept than the SAM.
A good SAM will have maxed Agility, maxed Reaction and high Body and high Strength. Adepts can only dream of this.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Wasn't the fuzzy-wuzzy from Gremlins named 'Gizmo'? I think it ended with them chasing the mohawk gremlin around in a movie theatre and ends with him melting in the sunlight, or something like that.

The species is named Mogwai. Gizmo is just a specific one.
However, the condition of never feeding them after midnight is impossible to fulfill since it is always after midnight. It is like geasing your Killing Hands to only work when you aren't hitting anything.
Crusher Bob
<pouty face> but, I'm always hitting things, in my mind.

Will making karma for nuyen an official rule help both sams plus adepts without adding to cyber-adepts too much?

My first impression is that is makes cherry picking by cyber-adepts much easier, since their advancement points can easily be spent in the area that gets them the most plusses.

Using my numbers for earlier

The straight adept gives his money to prost^F^F^Ffreezing match girls and gets 200 more karma. This lets him go from init grade 3, magic 9 to init grade 6, magic 12 (isn't that the cap?). - and crap I went to check the numbers in my previous post and noticed that a large part of the middle of what I had written got cut out somehow. The stats for the cyber-adept got completely eaten.

Sigh.

Since I have nothing better to do, I'll just do it all over again and repost, but assuming cash for karma. I think I'll run into problems here in that SR4 has sch low caps on advancement that 400 karma will be enough the get an adept to all the caps.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012