Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reverse Essence...?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
cetiah

Eventually, the Street Ninja accepted the deal, but got them to offer some payment up front. The payment was a used cyberhand with built-in recoil compensation. I thought this would be awesome prize for a street sam since he didn't have one, but my player just got this disgusted look on his face, looked at his record sheet, and said "I don't have enough essence for that." Which sucks! I was going to use that to make use of his other contact, one of those funny medics that install illegal cyberwear in people. I had some ideas for that encounter, too. But he was like, "eh, maybe I can sell it." The idea that a cool piece of cyberwear made a lousy gift to a cybercombatant really sucks and has made me hate the essence rules.

Yeah. That does kinda suck - in fact, it blows big chunks, but them's the breaks. If you want to upgrade a Shadowrunner's cyber, you need to give him enough Alpha, Beta, or Deltaware to replace the cyber he has that it frees up an essense hole for the new item.

Or you could institute a method for the gaining of additional Essense. Since this has both Cyberware reprecussions for sammies and Magical implications for Adepts/Magicians, nobody should mind overmuch. Sure, Initiation can raise your Magic, but if you can buy additional Essense, you can drop Karma on additional Magic, too. They would naturally stack.

Or, of course, they could use the essense surplus to install up to and including as much Essense's worth of cyber as they have Essense above six.

I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss this.

The idea of having to give my players an upgrade of the exact piece of cyberwear they already have in order to be useful just seems to be a little trite. I think there needs to be a way to add Essence after character generation. You guys have way more experience with Shadowrun, though. What do you think of this?

I have three ideas...

1) Allow Karma to be spent to increase Essence. It would be expensive, but kind of worth it.

2) All characters get an additional 4 Essence once the game starts.

3) Do away with Essence altogether and replace it with "cybermancy". Rather than cyberwear lowering your essence, it will raise your cybermancy (which starts at 0). I'd have to come up with rules for this, but if there is no upper limit, this allows infinite upgrade if you're willing to pay the price. I could see Cybermancy being used as a threshold for some tasks, or maybe there might even be some things where you can roll a Cybermany test to help you. I could see riggers, for example, benefiting from being more machine than man.

What do you think? Does this have any dramatic repercussions? Are there any mechanics (beyond magical healing) that use the essence score right now?
Kagetenshi
There's another option the person you quoted totally ignored, which is them removing a piece of the cyberware they currently have for the new 'ware.

FWIW, while I'd like to see some way of improving the upgradability of 'ware-heavy characters post-chargen, all of your proposals IMO go way too far. The biz should, in my opinion, involve trading your soul and never ever getting it back.

(As for other things that use Essence, Critter powers use it extensively, and Critters can have implanted 'ware as well.)

~J
Jack Kain
That is often forgotten when ware is removed essence isn't restored but their is an essece hole that can be filled in before any new essence lost occurs from ware.

For example, my character had Rating 2 Wired Reflexs (alphaware) 2.4 essence cost.
This created a 2.4 essence hole.

Later he had them removed and replaced with Rating 2 synaptic boosters. 1.0 Essence cost.
So he had a 1.4 essence hole to fill with new ware before he'd incurr any new essence loss.
Crusher Bob
One possibility is to simply increase starting essence. As long as starting magic stays at 6 (SR3) or is paid for as normal (SR4), you don't power by cyber-mages/cyber-adepts too much, since they would still lose magic based on the ware they get. Of course, this has plenty of follow-on effects on game balance...
Thane36425
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
That is often forgotten when ware is removed essence isn't restored but their is an essece hole that can be filled in before any new essence lost occurs from ware.

For example, my character had Rating 2 Wired Reflexs (alphaware) 2.4 essence cost.
This created a 2.4 essence hole.

Later he had them removed and replaced with Rating 2 synaptic boosters. 1.0 Essence cost.
So he had a 1.4 essence hole to fill with new ware before he'd incurr any new essence loss.

This was covered in detail in Shadowtech. Surgeons could use the essence hole left by removed implants to seat new cyberware. If the new gear doesn't completely fill the hole, such as a 2 point implant into the 2.4 point hole mentioned above, then you'd still have a .4 hole in the essence.
cetiah
One possibility is to simply increase starting essence.

Won't that just make the player buy more cyberwear? He'll still have 0.0015 or whatever when the game starts.

There's another option the person you quoted totally ignored, which is them removing a piece of the cyberware they currently have for the new 'ware.

But the character likes his cyberwear. It's like it's a part of him or something.

Think about it. The player could have chosen a cyberhand at character generation, if he liked it better, so why would he suddenly choose different during a game? The only reason he would is if he had some net benefit for doing so that wasn't available at character generation, which is pretty much what a game reward is supposed to be.

The cyberhand was meant to be a reward and I wasn't comfortable just giving out a wad of nuyen. I just don't like the fact that, everything as written, I have to tailor my rewards specifically to players.

I mean, I could just give a focus to a mage and he'll be giddy. If I give him a new spell, he'll enjoy that unless he already has it. Hackers would enjoy new drones and programs (unless they were sucked). It seems like its much harder to reward street sams becuase the list of what they could use is a very narrow selection based on choices made at character generation. Even if I got a whole new book on cyberwear today (unlikely), I couldn't even use those as rewards without being consciously aware that I'd be making the player give up either the reward or something he previously bought/earned.

No one else faces these choices, and rewards really shouldn't work this way.

(Okay, now that I think about it, Adepts are pretty hard to reward, too.)

One possibility is to simply increase starting essence.  As long as starting magic stays at 6 (SR3) or is paid for as normal (SR4), you don't power by cyber-mages/cyber-adepts too much, since they would still lose magic based on the ware they get.  Of course, this has plenty of follow-on effects on game balance...

Like what? The point of this thread is that I'm ignorant of the follow-on effects of game balance.

FWIW, while I'd like to see some way of improving the upgradability of 'ware-heavy characters post-chargen, all of your proposals IMO go way too far. The biz should, in my opinion, involve trading your soul and never ever getting it back.

What about the cybermancy idea? It could just go up and up, and never go back down again. The further up it goes, the worse things get. It would be weird though... it might be possible to die at character generation...
Crusher Bob
The follow-on effects are very difficult to show because the solution space (cyberware effectiveness + costs) are a complex problem.

One example is that upping starting essence is likely to lead to wired-3 being the new sam standard over wired-2. 3 points of essence left after wired 3 still leaves plenty of space left for useful upgrades. If starting essence is upped to 8, this leaves the same 3 points of essence left for all the upgrades available before, but you can have wired 3 instead of wired-2.

[edit]
The other thing to address is, what made you uncomfortable with just giving out a wad of nuyen.gif instead?
[/edit]
ShadowDragon8685
Fat wads of nuyen.gif are the industry standard.

Me, I like the idea that you can just buy Essense up normally. To hell with the fluff; a cap of 6 was an arbitrary number chosen was back in 1981 and it has never been thought of since.

You can explain it by saying that through intense meditation (or medication), and with therapy or dedication or whatever, all of which spends your Karma, you can increase the power of your soul. This will be appealing for mages because it will be an appealing alternative to Initiation, which has costs all of it's own - although it also has benefits, truth be told - but those who will benefit most will be Cybersammies.

Think about it. Mages and Adepts have had the ability to improve their 1337 past 6 since what, 3rd edition? 2nd? 1st? I'm not sure when Initiation came around.

But even with all Deltaware, 6 points of Essense only goes so far. The ability to buy it back in-game is appealing to me. And since they've never actually defined what Essense is... Why not?

There are two theories about Essense. The first, as I understand it, is that Essense is a stastical measure of your soul - the integrety of your Astral "self". I find the idea, then, that Essense could be destroyed by having bits of metal integrated into your wholely corporeal meatbod, to be patently ludicrous. You don't lose Essense for having bits of lead forcibly integrated into your meatbod, so why should you lose it for having very careful surgical proceedures done?

The second theory is that Essense is a stastical measure of the overall integrety of your central nervous system. While this seems more plausable on those grounds, I find it wholely ridiculous to believe that having bits of metal very carefully surgically integrated into your meatbod would then have a negative impact on your ability to channel the Astral and to use magic. Otherwise having bits of lead forcibly integrated into your body should likewise jeopardize your ability to cast, whereas without the use of OPTIONAL (and asinine) rules, it does not.

I'm not comfortable with either, really, since Essence was made as a balancing agent to ensure that Sammies coulden't just make a fortune and leave mages in the dust. But that long since fell by the wayside with the advent of Initiation, thus leading to Mages being able to spend Karma and Nuyen to go up in power with no upper limit beyond feasability and the point of diminishing returns, but leaving Sammies still capped. It's original purpose (preventing people from becoming so rich that they essentially become a cross between RoboCop and The Borg, and by so doing leaving Mages crying) has been rendered obsolete; something should be done to rectify this situation.

Me, personally? I'd allow Essense to be raised using the standard Karma cost for raising an attribute, with no cap. However, this would lead to the bookkeeping nessessity of "Absoloute Essense" and "Unused Essense", otherwise a Cybersammie would start with cyber that dropped him to something like 0.009 Essense, then buy a whole point of essense, and then buy a whole point worth of cyber.

Obviously, you pay towards Absoloute Essense, not Unused Essense. So your Absoloute Essense is 6, but your Unused Essense is 0.09: You pay 5*7 = 35 Karma to raise your Absoloute Essense to 7, and your Unused Essense to 1.09.
hyzmarca
It costs an Adept 20 karma to buy PP under the basic rules, so I propose a 'Ware cost reduction standard based on that old rule.

At the time of instillation, a character may spend karma to reduce the Essence cost of implanted ware at a rate of [Essence reduction = (log20)karma spent].
To put it another way, [20^(essence reduction) = karma cost].
Round normally.

I like the logarithmic scale scale because the costs for tiny essence reductions are far less than the costs for large reductions. Unfortunately, it is a bit inconsistent and exploitable. The cost of a .2 reduction is 2 karma while a cost of a .9 essence reduction is 15 karma and the cost of a 1.8 essence reduction is 220 karma and the cost of a 2 point essence reduction is 400 karma. It is certainly more economical to reduce the cost of two pieces of 'ware by .9 than to reduce the cost of 1 piece of 'ware by 1.8.

To avoid this problem, one might want to use a linear scale, with a karma cost of 20 times the essence reduction and the essence reduction capped at half the grade-modified essence cost.
Moirdryd
Erm... taking lots of Damage, towhit the forcible insertion of metal into the bodu does come with the risk of essence loss. Hence why Mages ect are Very careful about who treats them for injuries.

Essence is just that, Essence. It is what makes you Alive a combined factor or meatbod and astral presence/soul/spirit. Cyberware is unliving and so replacing a living portion of you body with an Unliving peice of machinery will rob the body of some of that `vital spark` or Essence.

Very true the number exists as a balance to Street sams vs mages, but if you want to go the way of full conversion borg body. Rifts is the way to go.

But then dont forget there are skills, none cyberware toys. All those flashy grades of ware (which are hell to get and although already mentioned you can get ahold of 11.999 pts of deltaware.... ever consider how much that really is? Plus another 3 , or more for cuiltured, Bioware...Before cybermancy if you have to go that far.)

Yon Adept or Mage also has to take soem time to do what they do. Cyberfreaks do it Now.... faster than that even with Move by Wire and Reaction enhancers.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Exactly. What the OP doesn't get is that the whole point of cyberware is that it seems like you're getting ahead in the first place but in fact you're just digging a hole for yourself.

In fact, does essence even regenerate when you get your cyberwear removed? My understanding is that once essence is gone, it's gone. Therefore, a character who gets anything but the very best 'ware he can afford at chargen is kind of a crappy build for long term play.
Kagetenshi
It doesn't regenerate, but as mentioned it leaves a "hole" that new 'ware can be implanted into.

What I want, though, is for magic to start reflecting that digging-a-hole. Magic as it is now is the single best argument for Horrors in Shadowrun—it's just too god-damned safe.

~J
Sir_Psycho
If you want to give your Sammy an archetype specific reward, then why not a new weapon (something very nice built with the firearm creation rules), or some free upgrades to his current weapons using the customization rules? And the ways sammies upgrade themselves throughout a game is with lots, and lots and lots of Nuyen. Once you have the money, you whip out your standard level 2 wires and chuck in some Delta level 3 wires, which are more effective and leave you with a more essence than you left off.

The way the game is built is that Magic characters are black holes for karma and sammies need less karma, but way more nuyen. Reflect this in your rewards.
cetiah
Cyber attribute (replaces the Essence attribute)

The Cyber attribute starts at 1 and can not be upgraded with Build Points.

A character who acquires cyberwear for this character also acquires an amount of Cyber equal to the "essence cost" of the item being installed. It is possible for Cyber to raise in partial increments, so a Cyber 1 character acquiring an item with a listed essence cost of .2 now has Cyber 1.2. However, all tests and threshold that use the Cyber attribute always round up, so his 1.2 would be considered "2" for purposes of calculating thresholds and such.

-A character's Cyber attribute is deducted from any magical healing received.
-A character's Cyber attribute is used as a threshold to determine if he can be resuscitated by advanced medical means.
-Each time Cyber is increased, Magic is decreased by a proportional amount. (Round partial Magic scores down.)
-The character receives a penalty to healing checks equal to half his Cyber attribute.

Each time Cyber increases by 1 full point, the character may choose one of the following abilities:

*) Machine Mind. The character's Edge score is increased by 3, but he no longer has the ability to spend Edge points after a die roll.

*) Machine Heart. The character may add a number of dice equal to his Cyber attribute to resist any mind-control spell.

*) Machine Body. Any character attempting a First Aid test on the character may use their Hardware skill in place of First Aid.

*) Machine Soul. The character no longer has the aura of a living person, but instead has that of a machine, resembling a dull nearly-transparent gray haze.

etc. etc..
You guys can probably come up with better ideas.
ShadowDragon8685
As I understand it, this DM is running for SR4. Not only does it not have weapon build rules...

But the point of Essense was to balance Sammies versus mages. However, my whole point is that THAT IS ENTIRELY USELESS NOW! Mages can Initiate, albiet at high cost, but their Magic goes up AND they get very cool perks.

What do sammies get? Jack Shit!

Kage, maybe not everyone subscribes to the "No matter what you do, you're phucked, use cyber, trade your soul. Use magic, summon Horrors. Use neither, and get pasted by those who do" treatment.

I, for one, don't. Yes, the 6th world is shit. But maybe you can change that, if only for a select few around you.

And maybe, just maybe, we want to play a fun game, where ultra-cool cyberware dosen't make a Sammie blanch and say "I can't use it". Because let's face it - there are some things that non-Cyber just cannot do as well or as coolly as cyber.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Kage, maybe not everyone subscribes to the "No matter what you do, you're phucked, use cyber, trade your soul. Use magic, summon Horrors. Use neither, and get pasted by those who do" treatment.

Oh, certainly. I never said there weren't people out there who are wrong wink.gif

~J
Calvin Hobbes
The idea of expanding the initiation system is my favorite of the ones listed. It kind of explains the "samurai" notion, becoming something more through internal processes.
De Badd Ass
If you got rid of essense, then you would just end up with a group of cyberware enhanced mages and adepts called sammis.
Thanee
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Therefore, a character who gets anything but the very best 'ware he can afford at chargen is kind of a crappy build for long term play.

It's absolutely mandatory to allow swapping out one piece of cyberware and use the freed up 'Essence hole' to put in other implants (now or later; one piece or multiple ones; you just count the next Essence loss from the 'hole' until it is filled before going for the actual left-over Essence).

Without this, cybered characters make no sense to play in all but short-term campaigns.

You simply need to be able to upgrade in some fashion. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
hyzmarca
If you want to mess up high-grade magicians, how about forcing an initiate to make an Essence Test with a TN equal to his (current magic rating+new grade-essence). Failure causes the magician to permanently lose a point of essence, which can't be filled with cyber but which be geased to avoid magic loss?

This severely limits cybered multi-initiate mages.
Sir_Psycho
I'm just going to put this out there: You guys are freakin' me out, man!
nezumi
Don't give free essence after chargen, that's crazy-talk. At most, allow for the PC to 'buy' essence at 20 karma a pop (or more) to a maximum of 6.

Alternatively, go the CP2020 way. Every piece of ware's essence cost is variable. So instead of it costing 1 essence, it costs 1d6 * .3 essence or something like. This means he has the chance to install new stuff, but he still feels like he's losing something.
lorechaser
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 28 2007, 04:06 AM)
At the time of instillation, a character may spend karma to reduce the Essence cost of implanted ware at a rate of [Essence reduction = (log20)karma spent].
To put it another way, [20^(essence reduction) = karma cost].
Round normally.

I'm pretty sure logrythmic scales are beyond the scope of most reasonable rules. wink.gif

I agree, it's a better model, but I can't do logs in my head.

As for the Absolute Essence - why?

Magic isn't bought on Absolute, it's bought on current. Why not allow the Sammie the same bennies?

Edit: Forgot what forum this was. I'm not sure how magic is bought in SR3.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I'm pretty sure logrythmic scales are beyond the scope of most reasonable rules. wink.gif

I agree, it's a better model, but I can't do logs in my head.

Unless you have regular mid-run 'ware implantation, that doesn't matter. The calculation can be done at any time.

~J
Ravor
Are you sure that Magic is bought based of the 'current' Value after losing through Cyber/ect and not 'total' value in 4th I could-of swore it was the other way around.

Oh well, that just makes burning a point of Magic for Cybereyes ect all that much more appealing because then you wouldn't have to pay 25 BPs for that final point of Magic...
lorechaser
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jan 29 2007, 12:26 PM)
Are you sure that Magic is bought based of the 'current' Value after losing through Cyber/ect and not 'total' value in 4th I could-of swore it was the other way around.

Oh well, that just makes burning a point of Magic for Cybereyes ect all that much more appealing because then you wouldn't have to pay 25 BPs for that final point of Magic...

I am 99% sure there was a post on the SR4 board recently clarifying that.

Edit: Found it! It's in the close combat char critique thread, by Fortune:

----------------------

So, I didn't believe you, and had to check with the man upstairs ...

QUOTE (Me)
Let's say I have an awakened character with a Magic Attribute of 4. He gets 3 full points of 'ware installed, binging his effective Magic Attribute down to 1 (technically 4 [1]). If I then choose to use Karma to increase his Magic Attribute, would it cost me 6 Karma or 15 Karma to raise his effective Magic Attribute to 5 [2]?

QUOTE (Rob Boyle)
I could have sworn I covered this in the FAQ. Hrm.

The answer is: it would cost you 6 (ie, you're buying from 1 to 2).

Note that Magic lost from Essence loss is (semi-)permanent. If you get 3 Essence points of 'ware installed, your Magic goes from 4 to 1, not 4 (1). Your max. natural Magic rating also drops from 6 to 3.
Zolhex
Ok the way I understand it is this essance = soul.

You are homo sapiens

- sapiens (Human)
- nobilis (Elf)
- robustus (Ork)
- ingentis (Troll)
- pumillonis (Dwarf)

Reguardless of race you start with 6 essance. Reguardless of body size you start with 6 essance. Reguardless of age you start with 6 essance.

Now don't get me wrong I understand a need for a universal format for all races other wise if one race had a better starting essance then that is the race every street samurai character would be.

However the BBB does state average life spans for all races which I thought would work with the idea of more essance as you get older.

Now that would work like so:

0 - 1 = 1
1 - 3 = 2
3 - 6 = 3
6 - 10 = 4
10 - 14 = 5
14 - 18 = 6

Now you are considered to be full grown and an adult in most countries around the world. (I think even in Shadowrun Trolls need to reach at least 14 to be considered an adult.)

20 - 40 = 7
40 - 60 = 8 (beyond 60 most characters are either dead or retired)
60 - 100 = 9 (only few characters live beyond 100)
100 - 200+ = 10 (yep those dammed immortals get all the perks)

Yes I know it's not much but hey a little extra essance goes a long way even further if you have money to get the ever cool delta ware.

Just a rough layout I came up with back in 2nd edtion.
Herald of Verjigorm
Shifters have essense of 8 and Harlequin at least responds to healing magic as if his essense is 8.

Since he's way over 60 years old, that presents a conflicting data point.

Your chart just gives another reason for a player to try to sneak that dark-ages spike-elf past the GM.

I'd never even seen someone get loaded up on alphaware, so I have not run into the need to get more essense.
Wounded Ronin
Well, I returned to this thread after sleeping one night and it STILL seems like a dumb idea to somehow let sammies get unlimited cyberwear. Why does the Essence limit bother some people so much? The whole point of cyberwear is that you're trading in your essential native American hipsterism for something machine-like and unhealthy and therefore you lose your soul. It's kind of like becoming Darth Vader with all of his artificial systems. "Twisted inside, more machine than man..."

I could agree that the game world would be more kickass even if you were screwed by turning to magic, either by making Magic ultimately a Lovecraftian soul destroying process because you realize how humans are insignificant, or else by having some rule that when you cast a spell at X really high power or initiate past X really high rank there's a certain chance that Dread Iotas spawn in your soykaf or something.

But I don't really see how making cyberware more forgiving or less evil is cool at all.

Last thought: if you really want more cyberwear become a vampire and drink essence all the time. 11.9 points of delta, baby, plus regeneration!
cetiah
Well, I returned to this thread after sleeping one night and it still seems like a dumb idea to somehow let sammies get unlimited cyberwear.  Why does the Essence limit bother some people so much?  The whole point of cyberwear is that you're trading in your essential native American hipsterism for something machine-like and unhealthy and therefore you lose your soul.  It's kind of like becoming Darth Vader with all of his artificial systems.  "Twisted inside, more machine than man..."

I could agree that the game world would be more kickass even if you were screwed by turning to magic, either by making Magic ultimately a Lovecraftian soul destroying process because you realize how humans are insignificant, or else by having some rule that when you cast a spell at X really high power or initiate past X really high rank there's a certain chance that Dread Iotas spawn in your soykaf or something.

I highlighted some of your phrases that struck out at me the most. In all of those places, you describe a process, not a past-event or a preventive-measure. There are no mechanics to reflect the act of destroying your soul, for example, there are only mechanics to represent when your soul has been destroyed and how to prevent that from happening.

See, I would like the idea of "losing your soul" or a "soul destroying process". What i don't like is the "essence limit" as a means of reflecting that. You're fine, you're fine, you're fine, BANG YOUR DEAD!!! That's not Darth Vadar at all. Darth Vadar would be someone who stretched the limit, who knew there was a safe limit, went past it, knowing full well there might be consequences for that action. If you want the choice of whether or not to get Cyber to mean anything, you have to let the players be able to stretch beyond normal limits, and make it worse and worse for him everytime he does so, until at some point he looks back and says, you know maybe if I hadn't of done that back then I wouldn't be in this situation now.

As it is now, Essence is a perfectly safe limit because player's will know they will die when they hit that limit and know what they have to do to keep from avoiding that with absolute certainty.

------

As an adjustment to by "Cyber" rules above:

-The player's Cyber score becomes the threshold for the Cybertechnology + Logic skill needed to install the cybertechnology. The recipient's body score is added as bonus dice to this test. If the test fails, the recipient dies. If any edge is used to adjust the roll, the recipient permanently burns one point of edge.
Herald of Verjigorm
It sounds like you want the "Cyber makes everyday life hell" rules as listed in Man and Machine. I don't remember them, but there are many gradual increases in trouble as you get more cyber and bio such that the essense .01 bio index 3 sammy can be killed by any natural health problem they didn't get cyber specifically to prevent.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (cetiah)
Well, I returned to this thread after sleeping one night and it still seems like a dumb idea to somehow let sammies get unlimited cyberwear.  Why does the Essence limit bother some people so much?  The whole point of cyberwear is that you're trading in your essential native American hipsterism for something machine-like and unhealthy and therefore you lose your soul.  It's kind of like becoming Darth Vader with all of his artificial systems.  "Twisted inside, more machine than man..."

I highlighted some of your phrases that struck out at me the most. In all of those places, you describe a process, not a past-event or a preventive-measure. There are no mechanics to reflect the act of destroying your soul, for example, there are only mechanics to represent when your soul has been destroyed and how to prevent that from happening.

See, I would like the idea of "losing your soul" or a "soul destroying process". What i don't like is the "essence limit" as a means of reflecting that. You're fine, you're fine, you're fine, BANG YOUR DEAD!!! That's not Darth Vadar at all. Darth Vadar would be someone who stretched the limit, who knew there was a safe limit, went past it, knowing full well there might be consequences for that action. If you want the choice of whether or not to get Cyber to mean anything, you have to let the players be able to stretch beyond normal limits, and make it worse and worse for him everytime he does so, until at some point he looks back and says, you know maybe if I hadn't of done that back then I wouldn't be in this situation now.

As it is now, Essence is a perfectly safe limit because player's will know they will die when they hit that limit and know what they have to do to keep from avoiding that with absolute certainty.

------

As an adjustment to by "Cyber" rules above:

-The player's Cyber score becomes the threshold for the Cybertechnology + Logic skill needed to install the cybertechnology. The recipient's body score is added as bonus dice to this test. If the test fails, the recipient dies. If any edge is used to adjust the roll, the recipient permanently burns one point of edge.

So, yes, having an actual mechanic tied to Essence by which you watch your character's soul slowly be destroyed would be cool.

However, essence probably stuck around as a quick and dirty way to abstract that. I mean, making a mechanic for soul destruction is probably pretty hard.

Therefore, in principle, if you write a rule for Darth Vader-ism, I'd be in full support of that over a simplified Essence rule.

But in the mean time, Essence is what the original writers put up in place of the Darth Vader Smorgasboard.

And then we can have Lovecraftian magic. YAY!
cetiah
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
It sounds like you want the "Cyber makes everyday life hell" rules as listed in Man and Machine. I don't remember them, but there are many gradual increases in trouble as you get more cyber and bio such that the essense .01 bio index 3 sammy can be killed by any natural health problem they didn't get cyber specifically to prevent.

What I want is to allow players to make choices, not force arbitrary system limitations on a player for no good reason. The essence limit doesn't really do what its meant to do and undermines player choices, eventually forcing the player into "give up this to get that" situation (which they will never do unless the "choice" is demonstrably better because that would involve undermining or second-guessing their previous choices).

I want a player to carefully consider his piece of cyberwear and decide whether he wants it or not (or how badly he wants it), rather than merely doing a quick calculation to see if he can get it or not and then moving on.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (cetiah)

What I want is to allow players to make choices, not force arbitrary system limitations on a player for no good reason.

But even with the most simple and hamfisted interpretation of the Essence rule it *is* there for a good reason. It's there so that sammies ultimately have their power levels capped. It's game balance. Basically, sammies start out more powerful but have a cap. Physads usually start out a bit weaker but theoretically have unlimited expansion. That particular tension between chargen choices has been along for a very long time.
Ravor
lorechaser

Really? In that case why even have a rule about losing magic in the first place, why don't simply lower the max cap by one and as long as the Mage's magic is equal or lower then the cap nothing changes?

Hmm, I'll have to think about House-Ruling it one way or the other....
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 29 2007, 06:25 PM)

What I want is to allow players to make choices, not force arbitrary system limitations on a player for no good reason.

But even with the most simple and hamfisted interpretation of the Essence rule it *is* there for a good reason. It's there so that sammies ultimately have their power levels capped. It's game balance. Basically, sammies start out more powerful but have a cap. Physads usually start out a bit weaker but theoretically have unlimited expansion. That particular tension between chargen choices has been along for a very long time.

That's not really game balance, though. That's more of, how you say, game asininity.

Hackers can, in theory, keep going up forever - all you need to do is give them newer comlinks, newer hard/software, etcetera. That system is already built for theoretical unlimited expansion.

Mages and Adepts, obviously, can also go up forever, using magic. So can technomancers.

Faces can go up forever - just keep getting newer and better contacts.

Riggers are easy: Newer and/or more numerous drones/vehicles. Hell, if nothing else, you can give the a GMC Banshee with rocket launchers.

But what about the sammie? What's left for him? a Panther cannon? Sure it's nice, but it's not even that expensive. If he really wants it, he can probably get it by his third run, tops.

After that... What? Diverisfy? Ah, but then he's not a Sammie anymore, he's a Hackaurai. Or a Riggeruai.

Every other archtype in the game gets consistantly better except the Sammie, and that is wholely because of the Essense cap of 6. And don't even say "Essense Hole". Even with all Delta, and under the 'generous' "Add your largest score plus one half of the lesser score" Cyber/Bio scheme of SR4, Sammies still run out of Essense long before they can achieve anything comparable to an Adept or Mage's power.

That ain't right. "Balance" is about keeping teammembers in line with one another. Not "You're good out the gate, but once we've got about a hundred Karma under our belts, just retire your Sammie and make an Adept or something".

Hell, it's worse in SR4. Used to be that only a Cybered person could make full use of guns, thanks to the Smartgunlink. With the revamp of SR4, any idiot can use a gun effectively, and worse - now the friggin' mage can make full use of a Smartgun Link because apparently the goggles have gotten better.

That ain't right.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 29 2007, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 29 2007, 06:25 PM)

That's not really game balance, though. That's more of, how you say, game asininity.

Hackers can, in theory, keep going up forever - all you need to do is give them newer comlinks, newer hard/software, etcetera. That system is already built for theoretical unlimited expansion.

Mages and Adepts, obviously, can also go up forever, using magic. So can technomancers.

Faces can go up forever - just keep getting newer and better contacts.

Riggers are easy: Newer and/or more numerous drones/vehicles. Hell, if nothing else, you can give the a GMC Banshee with rocket launchers.

But what about the sammie? What's left for him? a Panther cannon? Sure it's nice, but it's not even that expensive. If he really wants it, he can probably get it by his third run, tops.

After that... What? Diverisfy? Ah, but then he's not a Sammie anymore, he's a Hackaurai. Or a Riggeruai.

Every other archtype in the game gets consistantly better except the Sammie, and that is wholely because of the Essense cap of 6. And don't even say "Essense Hole". Even with all Delta, and under the 'generous' "Add your largest score plus one half of the lesser score" Cyber/Bio scheme of SR4, Sammies still run out of Essense long before they can achieve anything comparable to an Adept or Mage's power.

That ain't right. "Balance" is about keeping teammembers in line with one another. Not "You're good out the gate, but once we've got about a hundred Karma under our belts, just retire your Sammie and make an Adept or something".

Hell, it's worse in SR4. Used to be that only a Cybered person could make full use of guns, thanks to the Smartgunlink. With the revamp of SR4, any idiot can use a gun effectively, and worse - now the friggin' mage can make full use of a Smartgun Link because apparently the goggles have gotten better.

That ain't right.

Why are you comparing your samurai against his teammates? You should be comparing him against his opponents.

Kagetenshi
Because if a samurai is sufficiently weaker than his teammates, he won't have any opponents.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because if a samurai is sufficiently weaker than his teammates, he won't have any opponents.

~J

Finally, someone understands why power imbalance is a bad thing.

If the Sammie is sufficiently weaker than the PhysAd, then we'll wind up with the reverse of the old 3e young mage/young sammie problem.

The Awakened characters will have such high initiative and so many passes and so much power that anything that could give the Sammie an entertaining, and by this I mean "entertaining for the player to play through", fight, the Mages and PhysAds will blow through in their first pass, leaving the Sammie holding his gun with a case of the firearm blue balls.

And anything that can sufficiently entertain the mage and the PhysAd will pwn the sammie a hundred ways from sunday in ways that he can't even compensate for.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

I guess he needs to walk another mile in the hacker's shoes.
hyzmarca
You mean the ability to fight enemies and perform tasks that no other character can do? Because no one ever has to steal paydata from a secure system.
ShadowDragon8685
Or, for that matter, doing mortal (cyber)combat with your very own brand of Spirit that only you can fight? That the Sammie's guns are useless against, that the Magician's Great Form Force 6 Spirit can't combat? That the Rigger's Drones can't shoot?

Or, for that matter, doing cybercombat with another hacker, a Technomancer who's submerged, or just plain old Black IC?
tisoz
When I first started playing, I think we overlooked the 6 point essence rule. I remember a full body replacement troll with maxxed body armor, suprathyroid gland, enhanced articulation, synaptic accelerators, adrenal pump, smartlink, internal air tank and titanium bone lacing. It was a player new to roleplaying that didn't want to die the first night, so a lot of stuff was defensive. He was quite the meat shield, but hardly invulnerable. Just treat him the way people would normally react to such a monstrosity when they saw him coming.

I think we had a human (or elf) sam too that was maxxed out for speed and gunplay. He was hardly gamebreaking.

Later, when we learned and applied the essence rules, we played a game where you could be any type of character or break/ignore 1 rule. We wound up with a dragon, a free spirit, and a guy that chose to ignore the essence rule. The guy who ignored the essence rule was far from the biggest problem in that game.

If I had a game where the Sammies were that unhappy or essence became an ongoing issue, I would ignore the rule. It is hardly going to break the game.

I would enforce the rule though, at least for a while, if the Sammie(s) in the group had been dominating playing time or the group in the early part of the campaign. I'd let the other characters that finally were hitting their stride have the spotlight for a while and the sammie could pout in the background, especially if they were hogs when they had the advantage. Hopefully they learn to share the spotlight, even if it means not exploiting every nuyen worth of gear they have bought.

An example from when we started playing and the troll meat shield. The guy never used his combat pool. I never noticed until he told me after a game one night. It helped even things out and made him a bit less effective and a bit more vulnerable. He just didn't want to die as the new/inexperienced guy. He had no desire to be the munchkin, even though his character pretty much was. Without the combat pool, he might inflict a Serious wound instead of eliminating a hostile target. This gave someone else a turn to join the fight. Not rolling combat pool when dodging means there is never a clean miss, so he rolled to stage down damage. So he seemed killable.
ShadowDragon8685
A Dragon, a free spirit, and a cybersammie.

That sounds like a fun game. smile.gif

((Heh. I oughta set up that game some time. "Okay everybody. Make yourselves a Western Dragon!"))
NightmareX
QUOTE (cetiah)
Cyber attribute (replaces the Essence attribute)

This makes little sense Ceitah. First, when does one keel over from Essence loss? How does Essence drain work with this? Why give advantages to something that is mean as a game balance control (Essence loss)? What's to stop a starting character from loading up on a ton and a half of cyber using this system?

It feels more like D&D templates/power gaming than SR.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
But the point of Essense was to balance Sammies versus mages. However, my whole point is that THAT IS ENTIRELY USELESS NOW! Mages can Initiate, albiet at high cost, but their Magic goes up AND they get very cool perks.

And both can die just as easy from a bullet in the head from a klick out. Net result = game balance. Success, and thus advancement, SR is not about being the most uber- powerful-advanced-cyber-sammie-full-conversion-mega-adept-mage-borg-l33t-otaku-AI-ninja-IE-GD-god-of-DOOOM. Survival is a measure of success, and advancement is measured by the size of your cred accounts.

And ideally in SR, "team threat" via power imbalance as you were talking about is not a matter of game-mechanic or uberness superiority but of superior intelligence, cunning, and tactics...just like in real life.

ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

And both can die just as easy from a bullet in the head from a klick out. Net result = game balance. Success, and thus advancement, SR is not about being the most uber- powerful-advanced-cyber-sammie-full-conversion-mega-adept-mage-borg-l33t-otaku-AI-ninja-IE-GD-god-of-DOOOM. Survival is a measure of success, and advancement is measured by the size of your cred accounts.

And ideally in SR, "team threat" via power imbalance as you were talking about is not a matter of game-mechanic or uberness superiority but of superior intelligence, cunning, and tactics...just like in real life.

Actually, no they can't.

Mages can put up all sorts of tricky stuff - Armor Spells, Barriers, Great Form spirits Bound through two different loops to provide them with Immunity to Normal Weapons...

Mages eventually pwn Shadowrun, and that ain't right. The way it is, hell. I'd make a deal with the other players.

"I'll play a Sammie and protect you through your low-karma stages until the point you don't need me anymore. Then my character will retire and I'll bring in a mage of my own, whom you protect as he grows in Karma. Deal?"

Because really, that's about what you're looking at.
NightmareX
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Actually, no they can't.

Mages can put up all sorts of tricky stuff - Armor Spells, Barriers, Great Form spirits Bound through two different loops to provide them with Immunity to Normal Weapons...

You speak as if the GM can't use magic tricks either, as if said tricks can't be dispelled/banished, as if there are no ways around any of these defenses. I'll make you a deal - come up with the most uber set of magical defenses you can for a Grade 10 Initiate (karma, money, etc not being an issue beyond that), and I'll come up with at least 3 ways for a gm to get around those defenses and kill the character.legally without resorting to "you're dead because I say you are", IEs, or GDs.

Simply, mages are not unkillable.

Mages eventually pwn Shadowrun, and that ain't right. The way it is, hell. I'd make a deal with the other players.

"I'll play a Sammie and protect you through your low-karma stages until the point you don't need me anymore. Then my character will retire and I'll bring in a mage of my own, whom you protect as he grows in Karma. Deal?"

And I would flat out execute the characters of any players that tried such a munchkinious scheme. And if they kept it up, they'd get cows, and finally I would simply stop gaming with such individuals. That kind of metagaming is fine in D&D (where it's practically enforced), but the very concept and nature of SR are violated by that sort of bs, which is in my mind cheating of the worst sort.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

And when the background count goes to eleven, they'll all be screaming for your Sammie. Oops! he's retired.
hyzmarca
After six initiations, a magician can afford to spend 5.9 points of essence on 'ware. A sufficiently high karma magician can be a samurai, too.
cetiah
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Jan 31 2007, 11:06 AM)
First, when does one keel over from Essence loss?

Ideally, he shouldn't. A mechanic that just instantly kills the character, with no defensive action allowed or required, is kind of dumb. A street sam could be just fine and dandy one minute and then BLAM! he plugs in a datajack and dies.

When I'm going for is a more gradual system of penalties and tradeoffs, where each time you plug cyberwear in, the penalties and drawbacks become even worse and your life gets that much rougher. At first, any given cyberwear will be worth it, but when it gets high enough every upgrade becomes a major choice.

Plus, it makes character differentiation a much greater possibility, since a character with the equivilent of 2 Essence will be different and have more essence-related drawbacks than a character with the equivilent of 4 or 5 essence.

Or at least that's what I was trying to suggest. How about instead of instantly bashing it just because its not canon, try adding to the idea or suggesting improvements?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012