Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real Life PAN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ludomastro
If you haven't seen this then read these articles about what the inventors are calling a BAN - Body Area Network.

Article I
Article II - You don't have to install Chinese characters and can still read the article.

Just thought that you might be interested.
cetiah
You know, after reading these I've discovered there's very few things you could do that wouldn't creep me out if you describe what it is and then add the words "using the human body". "Transfer data" doesn't seem that icky until you add "using the human body" and then it just gives me shivers.
Draug
Cool and freaky at the same time. Fear and awe, a powerful combination.

As long as I'm in control of it, I don't mind weak currents moving across the surface of my body. As soon as others do it though...
ShadowDragon
Skinlink anyone? It even lists the same advantages.

You usually want to communicate with one particular thing, but in a busy place there could be hundreds of Bluetooth devices within range."

Furthermore, humans apparently make poor aerials, something which is "good for security because even if you encrypt data it is still possible that it could be decoded, but if you can't pick it up it can't be cracked," as Zimmerman explains.
hobgoblin
i could have sworn i read about a patent application from microsoft for something similar some years back. i wonder what happened to it.

in a way this is a inevitable invention as we know the body can be used to transport electrical energy. its just a question about how much juice you have to pump into the signal to make sure it gets to every part of the body as i think human flesh have a somewhat high resistance.
cetiah
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i could have sworn i read about a patent application from microsoft for something similar some years back. i wonder what happened to it.

As far as I know its still in development.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

in a way this is a inevitable invention as we know the body can be used to transport electrical energy. its just a question about how much juice you have to pump into the signal to make sure it gets to every part of the body as i think human flesh have a somewhat high resistance.

As long as the Amps are super low, who cares?
eidolon
Me. wink.gif (They'd have to be super low in milliamps, not amps.)

According to a PDF from the CDC:

1.2 Milliamps is the Perception Threshold (you can tell you're being shocked)
10-20 Milliamps is Painful; Let-Go Threshold; Can kill in time.
100 Milliamps can kill in a second; Can't let go
200 Milliamps kills; causes heart fibrillation, burns human flesh

Full PDF (looks like a port of a slide show) can be found here.
eidolon
Corrected thread title.
Kyoto Kid
...hmmm 20 CM is about 7 3/4 inches. That means on a crowded transit vehicle, crowded street (such as are very prevalent in places like Tokyo, London, New York), there could still be the potential for signal overlap if something like this ever went wide market.

This brings up the old "Handshake" scenario mentioned in a Skinlink thread here on DS a few months past. The way this is described merely brushing up against someone could be enough to "hack" into their system.

[getting on a crowded bus, on person bumps into another then stands next to them. Both have a RedTaction type system]

Person 1: "Excuse me, sorry"

Person # 2: [after getting off checks pockets] "Hmm...wallet & keys are still there..."

Person # 2: [later on at the cash machine] "...I knew I had more than that in my account"
Demerzel
QUOTE (eidolon @ Jan 30 2007, 07:51 AM)
1.2 Milliamps is the Perception Threshold (you can tell you're being shocked)

Frequency counts too. At high frequencies you can't tell, so a blanket statement like that isn't true unless your talking about a specific frequency. My guess would be that the CDC is talking about 60Hz household frequencies which is well within the range of what you can feel.

Electrosurgery uses high frequencies that can't be felt as anything other than burning. The linked wiki article has some good information about current densities and power.
eidolon
No idea. I just remembered that a lethal shock was usually measured in milliamps, rather than amps. The other stuff was just random "check this out".
lorechaser
QUOTE (cetiah)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 30 2007, 08:06 AM)

Yeah, they're gonna add it to the Zune, so when the three guys that still use it meet, they can shake hands, and find out that they can't share 2/3rds of their music....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Given the number of random contacts I have with people daily, I *don't* think I'll be picking this idea up. I don't even enable my bluetooth 95% of the time, because it's so easy to hack. If someone just had to touch me? Nuh uh.
Mistwalker
Add in Intel's announcement about nanite sized transistors(?), and we are seeing SR being turned into reality.
hobgoblin
the hardest part is still the DNI and simsense...
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (cetiah)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 30 2007, 08:06 AM)

It's actually mentioned in the articles. The difference between the two is that MS's patent is for transferring power with direct skin contact and this thing transfers data within 20cm.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Given the number of random contacts I have with people daily, I *don't* think I'll be picking this idea up. I don't even enable my bluetooth 95% of the time, because it's so easy to hack. If someone just had to touch me? Nuh uh.

Can people really hack an account in about 5 seconds? Because that's as much time as they'd have if they bump into you. Either that or they'd have to sit uncomfortably close to you (in which case you can turn it off).
lorechaser
Currently? Probably not. Pretty soon? Probably so. I always give the hacker more credit than the security. I suspect you can simply add a receptor in those 5 seconds, and then figure out what to do.

I mean, you can use a game boy to grab wireless signals transmitted by car remotes. There's wierd stuff out there.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Jan 30 2007, 11:24 AM)
Given the number of random contacts I have with people daily, I *don't* think I'll be picking this idea up.  I don't even enable my bluetooth 95% of the time, because it's so easy to hack.  If someone just had to touch me?  Nuh uh.

Can people really hack an account in about 5 seconds? Because that's as much time as they'd have if they bump into you. Either that or they'd have to sit uncomfortably close to you (in which case you can turn it off).

That depends on how many initiative passes he gets and how imbalanced your defenses versus his hacking programs are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012