Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latin phrases
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
Hey, help me come up with some good Latin phrases to speak when centering and using magic skills. No, not Hispanic gang phrases, but the dead language kind of Latin.

I never took Latin and only know a few phrases and what they mean. If you know some (and the pronunciation) and the translation, and a cool time to say them, by all means let me know.

Or if there is a good web site, link me or let me know.

Variations on common sayings would be nice, too. Like instead of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware), have it be let the Johnson beware. Carpe Ingram. In god we trust, all others cash. Etc..

Ok, maybe I should have googled first and seen the wikipedia list of phrases. Anyone care to translate/transpose some that could be used in game?
Kyoto Kid
...anything from the Latin Requiem would be good. In particular, the Dies Ire, the Sanctus, the Kyrie, and the Lux Eterna. you should be able to find the texts in your local library's music stacks.
Trigger
I have three years of high school latin under belt and a very nice latin dictionary....toss me a couple of things that would you would like to hear in latin (mostly words and short phrases) and I will give you them in latin.
Hocus Pocus
i remember one type on the cartoon gargoyles, they had this old wizard as a recurring villian. Anyways when he cast a lightening spell he always said "fuminus vinite!"

or on conan the adventure cartoon, i remeber grey wolf saying "creu oram todas vite infernim" . that cartoon had alot of magical phrases.

I miss both cartoons frown.gif
Butterblume
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

This probably wouldn't work rotfl.gif.

I've had over 4 years of latin, forgot most of it and appearantly lost my dictionary somewhere. That said, it probably would be a good idea if you post a list of the spells and we try to come up with one or more phrases for each spell.
cetiah
Request for translation:

"What is to give light must endure burning."
"May fortune favor the foolish."
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
"I banish you from doing harm. Harm to others and harm to yourself."
"I have become gray. I stand between the light and the dark."
"Angels and ministers of grace, defend us."
"Time waits for no man."
"Ow, that hurt."
"You can't just geek every wired deckhead that frags a datasteal."
"We will do now what must be done now."
"Night gathers and now my watch begins."
Thane36425
I've got a book somewhere on Latin insults.

Not having that handy, you could try:

Latin expressions

Latin insults

The first of those has wide variety of things while the second is pretty much on or a few word insults.
nezumi
I got an excellent pdf of a Catholic exorcism (English and Latin, side by side). I'd be happy to send it to you if you'd like it, quality material, includes telling demons to be gone, so on and so forth. Some dragon related lines in there too.
Backgammon
Peratu... verata.. nictu*cough loudly*
the_dunner
A few good, traditional ones that quickly come to mind:

Fiat Lux -- "Let there be light" (Light spell)
Pax Vobiscum -- "Peace be with you" (Sleep or mind control for calming)
Tempus Fugit -- "Time Flies" (Slow spell)

A few appropriate variations on those:
Fiat Ignis -- "Let there be fire" (Blowtorch)
Fiat Vita -- "Let there be life" (Healing)
Bellum Vobiscum -- "War be with you" (mind control for anger)
Tempus Credit -- "Time Crawls" (Enhance reflexes)

and, my old favorite for painting on 40K banners:
Caveat Emptor -- "Buyer beware"
Kagetenshi
Ne cede malis - do not surrender to misfortune.
Oderint dum metuant - let them hate so long as they fear.
Fortiora omnia dicta si dicta Latina - everything sounds stronger when said in Latin
Orda ab chao - order from chaos
Oscularis tuam matrem ore isto? - You kiss your mother with that mouth?

~J
Demerzel
QUOTE (the_dunner)
[ . . . ]
Tempus Fugit -- "Time Crawls" (Enhance reflexes)

That's ironic.
tisoz
Very good, we have some nice ones. After sleeping on it, I thought how nice it would be to translate some of the Shadowrun sayings like: Watch your back. Shoot straight. Conserve ammo. And never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon. (There was a translation on wikipedia about not tickling a sleeping dragon.smile.gif) Or some classic movie quotes from this topic.

Some in general for translation:
Cry havok and let loose the dogs of war
Spirit of this domain, I summon thee
Now you see me, now you don't
Up, up, and away
This is going to leave a scar
QUOTE (cetiah)

nezumi Could you post a few of them about the demons and dragons?

Thanks the_dunner, Kagetenshi
[ Spoiler ]
FlakJacket
And of course there's the always popular 'Planto meus dies punk' for combat spells. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
There's always cave canem—"beware of the dog".

As for pronunciation, remember: "c"s are hard, "v"s are "w"s. I don't remember anything else, but it's been several years since I've taken Latin (and a few before that since I took it seriously, more's the pity).

~J
BishopMcQ
Barnes and Noble also has a simple book called "Latin Can Be Fun" ISBN 1-56619-991-3

Is everything going according to plan? Satin' omnia ex sententia?

You are most to blame. Tua summa culpa est

He looks very serious. Magna est in vultu severitas

Edit: A quick google search gave me this as a translator. I haven't tried it.
Naysayer
Not really useful for your purposes, but still nice is this, my favourite piece from a book called something like Latin for posers (frankly, it's also the only one I remember):

Meum est propositum in taberna mori - It is my intention to die in a bar. wink.gif
Trigger
QUOTE (cetiah)
Request for translation:

"I have become gray. I stand between the light and the dark."
"Time waits for no man."
"Ow, that hurt."
"You can't just geek every wired deckhead that frags a datasteal."
"We will do now what must be done now."
"Night gathers and now my watch begins."

"May fortune favor the foolish." - Fortuna Fatuus Favere
"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Fortuna Pararus Animus Favere

Off the top of my head and I can do those...I will work on the others when I get back from running in a bit.
BishopMcQ
Conceal us--Occulto nos

Confuse them--Turbo lemma

Up, up, and away--Sursum , sursum , quod absentis

This is going to leave a scar--Is est iens dimitto vix

Transliterated using the above link.
hyzmarca
EGO vadum punctum alter rectum intestinum iri in vos tunc EGO vadum concubitus per is.

I got it from a machine translator, so I don't know how accurate or correct the phrase is, but it sounds intimidating.

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_onli...nglish&to=Latin
the_dunner
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Feb 10 2007, 07:21 AM)
[ . . . ]
Tempus Fugit -- "Time Crawls" (Enhance reflexes)

That's ironic.

Doh! fixed typo -- should have been credit.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
As for pronunciation, remember: "c"s are hard, "v"s are "w"s. I don't remember anything else, but it's been several years since I've taken Latin (and a few before that since I took it seriously, more's the pity).

Assuming classical Latin and not church Latin:

"i" is pronounced like a long "e"
"e" is typically pronunced like a long "a"
"a" is often pronounced like a soft "o", but not always
"u" is typically

Latin generally does not have dipthongs. So, if you see multiple vowels together, you pronounce all of them.

Mind you, I can't write phonetically very well, but a couple of examples of pronunciation:

Fiat Lux = Fee' ought Looks
Cave Canem = Ka' way Ka' nam
Tempus Fugit = tem Puss' Few' geet

Finally, Latin rarely uses pronouns. Especially as the subject of a sentence. Instead, it depends on the verb conjugation. (I'm suddenly having visions of "Life of Brian" as I type this.) As an example conjugating "To Be"

Sum - I am
Es - You are (sing)
Est - He/She/It is
Summus - We are
Estes - You are (Plur)
Sunt - They are

Verb endings depend upon person and plurality. It depends upon the verb's declension (there are 4 common conjugations), but here's the most common endings:

Person Singluar Plural
1st -o -mus
2nd -s -tis
3rd -t -nt

Church Latin is a bit of an abomination, resulting in two thousand years of non-Romans mangling the language for religious purposes. It generally uses a soft "c," adds the letter "j," and pronounces things similarly to how you'd expect them to be pronounced in English. (So, if you're playing a Christian theurge, just ignore any of the above advice.)

If any of the above is flagrantly wrong, I'm blaming the facts that I last had a Latin class 19 years ago, I'm going from memory, and I only really use Latin for occasional gaming purposes. cool.gif
Zolhex
I know one phrase Carpe Diem Carpe Noctum Carpe Ingram hehe.
nezumi
Grr.. Very frustrating. I had the pdf, but it doesn't seem to be on my hard drive now. I managed to find it through google originally, so I'm sure it's not impossible to find a second time, but it didn't jump out when I searched. A lot of the Roman Catholic prayers can be found in Latin and English, side by side, it's just not always easy.

I did copy one line out for my signature on another site, Praecipio tibi, quicumque es, spiritus immunde. Using that, I did find:

http://www.liturgysociety.org/JOURNAL/Volu...anslyke10.1.pdf

Which has some good side-by-side translations you can lift bits out of (especially towards the end).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
BookWyrm
I have a pocket dictionary of English-Latin/Latin-English words, but I may have mis-translated one personal favorite:

Don't just think, Scheme! = Non Mondo Cogitare, Consillium!

Did I get this right?
Crakkerjakk
"Bibo ergo sum" I drink therefore I am

"Carpe Cerevisi" Seize the beer

For social situations
Crusher Bob
There's always
fabricati diem, pvnk
Trigger
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
I have a pocket dictionary of English-Latin/Latin-English words, but I may have mis-translated one personal favorite:

Did I get this right?

I believe it would go as such: Mondos non Cogitarus, Consillium!
the_dunner
QUOTE (Trigger @ Feb 11 2007, 12:39 AM)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Feb 10 2007, 08:03 PM)

Did I get this right?

Alright, now I really feel like the Roman Guardsman in "Life of Brian."

So, the sentence you've got uses the Imperative verb form twice. That means you're issuing a command to somebody. Assuming you're talking to a group of people, then you need the plural present imperative form of the verbs.

Then, being a little picky about word choice:

The adverb for "just" that you probably want to use should be Modo.

Consillium is a noun, so that's not the word you want.

Cogito can actually imply the sort of planning that you probably have in mind.

Sapio deals more with the sort of philosophical thinking that you probably are suggesting the character should avoid.

So, IMO, this should be:

Non modo sapite, cogitate.

Pronunciation:

Nun Moe'-doe sa-pea-Tay', COE'-gea-ta-tay
Herald of Verjigorm
From here:
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad capul tuum saxum immane mittam."

"I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head."
Kagetenshi
Nemo me impune lacessit- no one attacks me with impunity.
Gramen artificiosum odi- I hate astroturf.

Well, maybe not that last one.

~J
MaxHunter
For "the hours of day": vulnerant omnes, ultima necat
"every one hurts, the last one kills" it used to be etched in some old pocket watches, I love it for bullets.

Cheers,

max

MaxHunter
By the way Kagetenshi, have you been to Scotland lately? smile.gif

cheers,

Max
cetiah
QUOTE (Trigger)
Off the top of my head and I can do those...I will work on the others when I get back from running in a bit.

Trigger never came back from his run. Should we be worried?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
By the way Kagetenshi, have you been to Scotland lately? smile.gif

Nae, but I ken the motto. Came to mind, though, because it's been but a few weeks since we were reading Poe's works in my Horror Literature class.

~J
Penta
For centering...Background matters, I'd hope.

For proper chant of Latin, I've found that you want to use deeper in the throat than normal, with very little tongue movement. Listen to a Latin Mass.
BishopMcQ
I don't think I've had enough caffeine yet...we are still talking about Latin right?

Kage--It's been awhile since I've seen "ken" in usage outside of literature. Excellent choice.
Butterblume
For 'conceal us', I like 'nos dissimula'.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Trigger)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Feb 10 2007, 08:03 PM)

Did I get this right?

Thanks. biggrin.gif
Demon_Bob
Veni Vidi Visa
Ferrit
Polypus mayem capitem habat - The octopus has got my head

Words to live by from here:
http://www.blue-comic.com/archives/20040330.html
wargear
Is est per caffeine unus EGO paro meus mens in motus. Is est per beans of java ut sententia usurpo volo , manuum usurpo infirmo , infirmo fio a admonitio. Is est per caffeine unus EGO paro meus mens in motus.

Its a shame that the internet translator cannot translate everything...
psykotisk_overlegen
According to Threats 2
[ Spoiler ]
mattness pl
I had latin in High school, but my teacher was a bitch...

I tried to translate Fireball into latin.
Need help

Ball - didn't find the word. The closest AFAIR is "orbis"
Fire - "ignis" (how to change it to "fiery". Latin students?)
Trigger
QUOTE (mattness pl)
I had latin in High school, but my teacher was a bitch...

I tried to translate Fireball into latin.
Need help

Ball - didn't find the word. The closest AFAIR is "orbis"
Fire - "ignis" (how to change it to "fiery". Latin students?)

The closest I can think of right now (without my dictionary in front of me) would be something like: Ignam Orbis - which is closer to "ball of fire" I believe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012