Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Big Crow
I haven't been around here since about the time SR4 came out. I was dusting off my copy, and having committed myself to learning the new system, I have a quick and probably silly question.
Full Defense. What if you do not have the Dodge skill? Can you default to Dodge in that situation? I need an example please.
Thanks!
DireRadiant
Full Defense

Reaction + Dodge + Dodge
or
Reaction + melee combat skill + Dodge

I am assuming you are asking about a situation where the PC does not have Dodge Skill so the question is;

Reaction + Dodge(Reaction -1) + Dodge(Reaction -1) allowed?

Since Dodge is a defaultable skill, actually, I think you can.
Big Crow
That was what I came up with, but...
If you have a decent Agility, Dodge becomes unessecary. (Agilty 5 in a gunfight gets you Reaction + (Agility-1)? Why buy Dodge unless you are going to exceed 4? I think I am missing something important.
Butterblume
Full dodge against firearms is reaction + dodge. If you don't have dodge, it's just reaction.

(Gymnastics works as well).
Crusher Bob
It's a bit more complex than that:

Ranged:
Reaction + dodge
Reaction + gymnastics

Close combat:
Reaction + dodge + close combat skill
Reaction + close combat skill x2

I'd assume that if you have no dodge, gymnastics, or close combat skills you actively defend with only your reaction (note that aborting to a reactive defense refreshes your dodging pool (iirc) so there might still be a reason to go on active defense even if you don't have a defensive skill.
Big Crow
So for some reason, you cannot Default to a pretty basic skill (Dodge-Moving out of the Way) when you would actually need to? That seems counter-intuitive to the defaulting rules.
Butterblume
For some strange reason (that I don't know) you use your reaction if you don't have dodge instead of reaction-1 like normal defaulting.
Big Crow
QUOTE (Butterblume)
For some strange reason (that I don't know) you use your reaction if you don't have dodge instead of reaction-1 like normal defaulting.

Okay, that makes a little more sense. Your defense is basically a Dodge test, and, lacking Dodge, you default at the Attribut rather than Attribute -1. Then for the full Defense, you would only recieve a bonus if you have the Dodge or Gymnastics skill? Okay, I think I can understand that.
Butterblume
Seems to be the way for ranged combat wink.gif.
Crusher Bob
Whoops, had it backwards for full defense in close combat; it's reaction + dodge x2 or reaction + close combat skill + dodge
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012