Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: slivergun damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
djinni
so shotguns still deal a +2/+2 when firing flechette rounds.
and any other gun deals +2/+5
but the slivergun has a base code damage 8P (f) / +2
damage already calculated, does the gun damage change to +5? or does it remain just like the shotguns damage code?
Eleazar
All the description says is that the slivers count as flechette with the damage code already factored into the gun. Since there wasn't any errata released specifically for this gun, I can only assume it stays the same. I was also wondering about this myself though. It is a valid point and seems to have been left out of the errata when it most certainly should have been included. Looking at it from a GM perspective those +2 damage code are equal to 6 dice or two successes on the attack role(if the target is hit). The +2 on the AP only increase the resistance test by 2 dice. So the character is gaining 4 dice. In the +5 AP errata they are only gaining 1 dice.

If the Ares Viper Slivergun didn't have Flechette-like ammo it would be a 6P weapon. It also has a built in sound suppressor yet is only a restricted and not forbidden gun, even though it has a sound suppressor which usually means forbidden. It also has burst fire mode which is also another plus. From an effectiveness POV it is actually more power and does more damage than a Ruger Super Warhawk when the target is hit. The dice difference between the two guns is 2 since the Ruger Super Warhawk has -2 AP which is an effective 2 dice. But, look at the drawbacks of the Ruger Super Warhawk. It is SS, 6 shots, and cannot be equipped with a silencer. The Slivergun looks like a much better choice. The only drawback to the Slivergun is that it can't be equipped with any ammo but the slivers. For stealth though, it is unmatched by any other pistol. One other thing I just remembered. Flechette and gel are resisted with impact armor, not ballistic. Which armor do you think is always lower than the other? Impact. So add 2-3 dice to the effectiveness depending on the armor of the target.

If you keep the slivers the way they are they have a head up on the other pistols. It has 1-2 effective dice pool advantage over a Ruger Super Warhawk with normal ammo. It has a 5-6 effective dice pool advantage of the 5P weapons with -1 using normal ammo. For the 5P weapons, it doesn't matter what ammo you use, it will never close the gap. For the Ruger Super Warhawk it would require gel, explosive, EX-explosive, or APDS to close the gap or be better. Remember though, the Ruger is only SS. The Slivergun is even better if you can find some way to get 2 recoil compensation for the burst fire mode. Maybe a cyberarm?

In my eyes, the Slivergun is the best heavy pistol for the job.
Jack Kain
I believe the Silvergun might suffer range issues from using (f) ammo. It likely needs to be retooled now that EXEX has been downgraded.

After all originally EXEX was +2P +2AP
That would make the Aries Predator 7P, -3 AP Or the Rugar 8P, -4 AP.
Now its only 6P -2 AP.

The quick fix would be to make it match the Roomsweeper's flechetties
7P +2 AP. It still has the BF mode and built in sound silencer to set it apart.

Glyph
Where in the erratta are you getting that shotguns still do the old damage? Flechette ammo has been changed to +2/+5, period, and weapon stats should be adjusted accordingly. So a slivergun will do 8P (f)/+5.

They have made the first round of changes, and the changes to gun stats will presumably (and logically) follow. Just like they raised the price of the Mitsubishi Nightsky, but didn't change the fact the the Face still has one, an item worth 22 build points for a character that has 9 build points allocated to resources.
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph)
Where in the erratta are you getting that shotguns still do the old damage? Flechette ammo has been changed to +2/+5, period, and weapon stats should be adjusted accordingly. So a slivergun will do 8P (f)/+5.

They have made the first round of changes, and the changes to gun stats will presumably (and logically) follow. Just like they raised the price of the Mitsubishi Nightsky, but didn't change the fact the the Face still has one, an item worth 22 build points for a character that has 9 build points allocated to resources.

Exactly. Flechette ammo has been changed, period. And that was all that was changed.

Slivergun and shotguns, that already had flechettes factored in, were not. Until they choose to change the gun stats and the Face, the Face (should you use the pre-gen PCs) still has the Nightsky and the Silvergun does the old damage.
SCARed
sorry, but that is completly nonsense, IMHO. the ammo was changed, so the weapons should change accordingly. and it doesn't take higher degrees in mathematics to do the job.

i still don't get, wat drove the authors, when balancing the slivergun. even wit a damagecode of 8P/+5 it's broken for me. you get burst mode and a silencer and it's not forbidden. if i was a cop and would find it on a suspicious guy, he wouldn't want to move an inch! it's like running around with an assault rifle, IMHO. and cops should be acting accordingly.
Malicant
Ouh, this feels so much like D&D. "The ammo was changed, but not the weapon, so the weapon does still the old damage, since it uses this ammo, but... wait, where was I going?"

I'm sad there was no gun firing only ExEx. It still would use BadAss ExEx, not like any other sucker weapon out there, right?

End of transmission. rotfl.gif
Thanee
Of course you have to change the AP from the Slivergun, too. Doh! wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Deva
I asked about this couple of days after the errata was published but never got The Official Answer. So it can be any of the possibilities just depending on your GM. Argue as much as you like. smile.gif

I hope Arsenal will clear this.. whenever it will be coming. *sigh*
Hagarzen
Greetings,

I have SR4 errata v13. is there another one? If so can someone link it?

Best
Hagarzen
Jack Kain
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 15 2007, 03:29 PM)
Where in the erratta are you getting that shotguns still do the old damage?  Flechette ammo has been changed to +2/+5, period, and weapon stats should be adjusted accordingly.  So a slivergun will do 8P (f)/+5.

They have made the first round of changes, and the changes to gun stats will presumably (and logically) follow.  Just like they raised the price of the Mitsubishi Nightsky, but didn't change the fact the the Face still has one, an item worth 22 build points for a character that has 9 build points allocated to resources.

Exactly. Flechette ammo has been changed, period. And that was all that was changed.

Slivergun and shotguns, that already had flechettes factored in, were not. Until they choose to change the gun stats and the Face, the Face (should you use the pre-gen PCs) still has the Nightsky and the Silvergun does the old damage.

I'm sorry but your being silly. No where in the book or errata does it say Flechette ammo in shotguns does anything different then in normal guns. The ammo changed. So guns that used Flechette ammo should have changed with it.

I thought from the poster there was an actually rule about this but turns out there's not. You just assume that just because they only listed the change in the ammo and didn't mention that the only weapons that can use it remain change or not. And I was foolish enough to follow blindly for a moment
sunnyside
Yeah. Especially since the shotgun codes are just listed for convenience, with the origional damage listed. The sliver gun just doesn't have a non-flechet damage listed. Never the less it should be altered as well.

Don't make me dig through the adventures and missions to find somewhere that they list reminder damage codes for some weapon with explosive ammo or some such and claim they get to keep that damage because it's in an official book. ( assuming they still do that in 4th ed).

But yes they should have just said all flechette weapons/ammo have an additional +3 to AP. They were trying to be clear.
KarmaInferno
I for one am startled nobody brought up foci or spirits or dikote or sex yet.

biggrin.gif

Understood everyone, I was going off of the premise that shotguns were still the same. By what djinni had said I guess I mistakenly believed it to be in the 1.5 errata. This in turn led me to the belief that the slivergun had been left out as it implies in the OP.
MaxHunter
I think it is pretty obvious that, now that flechette has been nerfed, all weapon damages that used flechettes should be changed accordingly.

But of course, what the obvious is becomes just the most common problem with interaction between subjective pseudo rational sentient entities.

Cheers,

Max

toturi
Really? Ever considered the possibility that the people-up-there might have changed the base weapon attributes to account for the flechettes/shot-type ammo that was already factored in, so that they didn't have to issue erratas for the weapons?

I try not to assume. If the errata doesn't say shotguns and sliverguns change damage and penetration, then they don't change.
Narmio
Oh, come on...

The intent of the ruling was to balance flechettes. Flechettes are flechettes, balance is balance and we all know the Slivergun is damn-well in need of a nerf and has been for years and years.

To pretend otherwise is the worst kind of RAW-mongering. It's unbeliebalbly petty rules-lawyering that blatantly goes against the intent of a ruling.
toturi
QUOTE (Narmio @ Feb 16 2007, 10:19 AM)
Oh, come on...

The intent of the ruling was to balance flechettes.  Flechettes are flechettes, balance is balance and we all know the Slivergun is damn-well in need of a nerf and has been for years and years.

To pretend otherwise is the worst kind of RAW-mongering.  It's unbeliebalbly petty rules-lawyering that blatantly goes against the intent of a ruling.

I do not know that the Slivergun is damn-well in need of a nerf. I think that it used to be very powerful, but I do not know that it needs to be nerfed. Knowing nerfs are for people who cannot take the RAW.

I do not pretend to be able to read the writers/developers minds. So... which part of the FAQ/Errata, did you write?
Eleazar
Narmio:
This is the RAW.
Slivergun:
It fires metal slivers that count as flechette ammunition (already factored in to the Damage Code).
Shotgun:
It fires flechette ammuniton only (already included in the weapon stats).

Looking at the RAW the guns use flechette ammo for the damage codes. Since the errata says impact armor +5 it would then mean the damage codes of the guns now reflect the changes. This is the RAW. There is no RAW-mongering or "petty rules-lawyering" going on here. It is a misreading or failure to accept the new RAW per the 1.5 errata. The operative words here are "already factored/included in the weapon stats/Damage code. Meaning it is pulling directly from the damage code of flechette ammo and not anywhere else. So if the source of information where the guns were pulling information from was changed, that modified information would then be implemented into the weapon stats/Damage Code of the gun.

This isn't all directly towards you Narmio mostly everyone in general. My point to you is that it is the RAW. Your post seems to imply the opposite.

Also one last thing to mention here. Medium spread is now +0 DV, +7 AP. Wide spread is now -2 DV, +9 AP. Now this is something that should have really been put in their. Again, the reason we know this is because...
"Use the shotgun’s standard flechette-modified (+2 DV, +2 AP) Damage Code."
This was changed in the 1.5 errata so it would now be +2 DV, +5 AP. Because this is now the "standard flechette-modified Damage Code". We then just apply the differences between the old Damage Codes which is -2 DV, +2 AP for medium spread and -4 DV, +4 AP for wide spread. As others have pointed out and others have proved by their confusion, this really should have been mentioned in the 1.5 errata. Or a blanket statement like any mechanic or firearm that used the original "standard flechette-modified Damage Code" is modified to the new Damage Code for flechette.

Of course the spread rules are terrible and count largely against the player to use anything but narrow spread. They are rather useless and should have been included in the errata as to not be so heinously egregious. No one in their right mind would give themselves an effective 12 dice deficit for wide spread or an effective 6 dice deficit for medium spread. All you get for these deficits is the ability to target more enemies at a large decrease in damage. In almost all cases this is far worse than splitting your dicepool to dual wield.

One thing I find odd about shotguns in SR4 is the ability to use a shotgun with a rifled slug barrel. This would not only allow farther ranges and accuracy for shotguns but sabot ammunition like the APDS could be used. In fact, there isn't any reason why it can't be used without the rifled slug barrel. You just would get your 50 yards or however many meters this is. Of course the rules do not allow this, but there isn't any valid reason why not considering the tech. I really hope Arsenal fixes some of these things with shotguns and incorporates different types of sabot ammunition. With sabot you can fire anything smaller than the diameter of the barrel of the shotgun or close to equal in size. In 63 years who knows how much would be developed.

/rant
Narmio
QUOTE (Eleazar)
Looking at the RAW the guns use flechette ammo for the damage codes. Since the errata says impact armor +5 it would then mean the damage codes of the guns now reflect the changes. This is the RAW. There is no RAW-mongering or "petty rules-lawyering" going on here. It is a misreading or failure to accept the new RAW per the 1.5 errata. The operative words here are "already factored/included in the weapon stats/Damage code. Meaning it is pulling directly from the damage code of flechette ammo and not anywhere else. So if the source of information where the guns were pulling information from was changed, that modified information would then be implemented into the weapon stats/Damage Code of the gun.

Sorry for any miscommunication, Eleazar, I'm fully in agreement with this. It's immediately obvious to me that in v1.5 RAW the new damage code applies to everything which uses the old flechette effects, including obscure things like the Metal elemental effect.

My post was directed at ridiculous hair-splitting behaviour which claims that *isn't* the case because the errata only changes that specific page in the ammunition section. Specifically toturi's post. Continuing in that vein...

QUOTE (toturi)

I do not pretend to be able to read the writers/developers minds. So... which part of the FAQ/Errata, did you write?

Spotting the reason for a rule just isn't the magical divination process you make it out to be. I don't need to have written the errata to know something as obvious as the fact that flechettes were changed because they were broken, I don't need orbital mind-reading lasers to tell you that Sliverguns contribute to that problem, and something isn't open to interpretation just because it's an obvious, heavily supported and unopposed implication rather than an observable fact.

The rules are there for a reason, but when you follow the rules blindly, you can easily lose sight of the reason. Pretending that we can't possibly *know* that reason is *intentionally* blinding yourself to it.

Case in point, In this post I'm not actually calling you a RAW-obsessed short-sighted ideologue *in print*, but see if you can figure out whether I mean it or not.
Eleazar
Deductive reasoning
toturi
QUOTE (Narmio)
Case in point, In this post I'm not actually calling you a RAW-obsessed short-sighted ideologue *in print*, but see if you can figure out whether I mean it or not.

I do not care what you mean. I only care if you actually say it, the same goes for the rules. I don't care if you mean that I am a black-hating, Jew-burning, devil-worshipping, white supremacist nazi; I'd only care if you actually state that in print or some official medium.

For those who say that the errata means that the shotguns and sliverguns should have their damage and penetration errataed, despite the omission, I could say that the omission means that the writers are retroactively increasing the base penetration value of the sliverguns and the shotguns that already have flechette factored in, so that's why the weapons do not have errata.

The other weapons that do not, follow the errata-ed ammo, should the player choose to use flechette/buckshot.

Deductive reasoning tells me that the omission means the weapons had their base stats changed to fit the errataed ammo, hence there was no change to the guns stats proper.
WhiskeyMac
Since the slivergun has the flechette effects "factored" into the gun's damage code, why is it so hard to believe that the gun's designers didn't compensate for the ammos shortcomings with the design?

It's also possible that the flechette ammo stats are only for guns that don't already use flechette ammo.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Since the slivergun has the flechette effects "factored" into the gun's damage code, why is it so hard to believe that the gun's designers didn't compensate for the ammos shortcomings with the design?

It's also possible that the flechette ammo stats are only for guns that don't already use flechette ammo.

Because the guns don't mention any special bonus with flechette ammo. Just that the AMMO is already factored in.

From the book page 313

Guns with flechette ammo already figured into their Damage
Code have an (f ) notation following the Damage Code.

No where does it say shot guns or the silver gun gets any special bonus when using flechette ammo. Just that the ammo is already factored in. If the ammo changes then whats factored in must change.
neffective against ridged armor.

FACT on all guns that are shown using Flechette ammo is says the ammo is already factored in.
FACT, flechette ammo changed from +2 DV +2 AP to +2 DV +5 AP.
Made up: That the guns in question have any special bonus when using flechette ammo.

We are basing are conclusion on proof you are basing your conclusion on a lack of proof.

toturi
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Feb 16 2007, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac @ Feb 15 2007, 10:39 PM)

Because the guns don't mention any special bonus with flechette ammo. Just that the AMMO is already factored in.

From the book page 313

Guns with flechette ammo already figured into their Damage
Code have an (f ) notation following the Damage Code.

No where does it say shot guns or the silver gun gets any special bonus when using flechette ammo. Just that the ammo is already factored in. If the ammo changes then whats factored in must change.
neffective against ridged armor.

FACT on all guns that are shown using Flechette ammo is says the ammo is already factored in.
Made up: That the guns in question have any special bonus when using flechette ammo.

We are basing are conclusion on proof you are basing your conclusion on a lack of proof.

We have proof. There is errata for ammo ONLY. Nowhere in the errata or FAQ does it state that flechette weapons change their values.

Hence the change was also factored in. If the change was not factored in, then there would be a change in weapon values.

Therefore all weapons that have flechette factored in and were not errataed have their damage and penetration remain the same.

"That the guns in question have any special bonus when using flechette ammo" is as much speculation as "All weapons that have flechette factored in should have their weapon values changed."

I am not denying that flechette ammo changed. I am disputing the fact that flechette weapons are changed, despite the lack of erratas to that effect. The people arguing for a change in weapon values do not have that proof.
Narmio
QUOTE (toturi)
For those who say that the errata means that the shotguns and sliverguns should have their damage and penetration errataed, despite the omission, I could say that the omission means that the writers are retroactively increasing the base penetration value of the sliverguns and the shotguns that already have flechette factored in, so that's why the weapons do not have errata.

QUOTE (toturi)
I try not to assume.

toturi
QUOTE (Narmio @ Feb 16 2007, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (toturi)

QUOTE (toturi)
I try not to assume.

Since you assume, then I can too.
Narmio
Yes, it's clearly just my little assumption that weapons which say they fire flechettes fire flechettes which follow the flechette rules.

Your assumption that they actually fire magical dikoted candy flechettes is *clearly* equally valid.

[You have a self confessed difficulty to perceive things not directly infront of you, so I'll go ahead and let you know that was sarcasm.]

Look, in all seriousness we have a fundamental disagreement at the level of basic principles towards gaming here. You and I are never going to agree on this, let's just cut it out and agree to think each other idiots.
Narmio
...and if any of my players are reading this, no you can't have magical dikoted candy flechettes.
Jack Kain
Maybe if we all email info@shadowrunrpg.com.
Which is he email for the FAQ.
And ask this question they'll respond as its not just one nut but an entire group of people.
toturi
QUOTE (Narmio)
Yes, it's clearly just my little assumption that weapons which say they fire flechettes fire flechettes which follow the flechette rules.

Your assumption that they actually fire magical dikoted candy flechettes is *clearly* equally valid.

[You have a self confessed difficulty to perceive things not directly infront of you, so I'll go ahead and let you know that was sarcasm.]

Look, in all seriousness we have a fundamental disagreement at the level of basic principles towards gaming here. You and I are never going to agree on this, let's just cut it out and agree to think each other idiots.

And it is not an assumption that the weapon values already have been factored with respect to flechette ammo already.
Deva
QUOTE (Deva)
I asked about this couple of days after the errata was published but never got The Official Answer. So it can be any of the possibilities just depending on your GM. Argue as much as you like.  smile.gif

I hope Arsenal will clear this.. whenever it will be coming. *sigh*

It's only sad when people don't listen. sleepy.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 16 2007, 06:36 AM)
Therefore all weapons that have flechette factored in and were not errataed have their damage and penetration remain the same.

While that's technically a possibility, I guess, this is so highly unlikely, that it simply cannot be the case. wink.gif

Just applying common sense is a good thing sometimes. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
SCARed
as a Slivergun would have to do an almost incredible PB-3 with standard rounds (if that was possible), i find it HIHGLY unlikely, that such a pistol exists. that would almost be like firing a heavy pistol with APDS. if things were so easy to construct, why do all the other heavy pistols suck, compared to that? the engenieers at Colt or Ares ar surely not complete morons.

THATS my point, why the Slivergun (and the Shotguns) was just overlooked in the errata. or the writers felt, that it was TOO obvious, to notice that the weapons change accordingly.

*gosh*. if you (toturi) like the Slivergun your way: keep her. everybody else will change it. *hrmpf*
MaxHunter
However, there is a real need of a FAQ update to keep up with errata.

The mere existence of this thread is a pretty good example why.

We could be all wrong and Toturi right, just because of gaps in the information referred.

Cheers,

Max
Perssek
Let me see if I´m understanding you - this thread made my head spin at first.

Some facts, first:

1) the new damage codes for flechette ammo is now +2/+5;

2) the Slivergun uses a flechette-like ammo;

3) the AM-CMDT shotgun uses an exclusive flechette ammo (since it has different damage codes from other shotgun using "regular" flechette ammo, right?);

So... there should be no changes to the weapons...

Right? Did I miss something?
toturi
QUOTE (Perssek)
Let me see if I´m understanding you - this thread made my head spin at first.

Some facts, first:

1) the new damage codes for flechette ammo is now +2/+5;

2) the Slivergun uses a flechette-like ammo;

3) the AM-CMDT shotgun uses an exclusive flechette ammo (since it has different damage codes from other shotgun using "regular" flechette ammo, right?);

So... there should be no changes to the weapons...

Right? Did I miss something?

No. Flechette ammo is errataed.

The Mossberg and the Remington have the same damage values when using flechette.

There are no explicit changes to either the AVS, AM-CMDT or the 990. But some people are arguing that it is implicit in the Errata. I am arguing that with the (already included in the weapon stats) clause, without any explicit errata there should be no change.
Eleazar
There doesn't need to be an explicit errata change. The book specifically states the damage code/weapon stats are derived from the flechette stats. The flechette stats changed so then the damage code/weapon stats change. To restate this.

A's stats are derived from B. B originally was +2, +2. B has now been changed to +2, +5. Since A's stats are still derived from B, they are affected by B's new stats. The only way B would not affect A is if A's stats were no longer derived from B. This isn't the case under RAW, as can be seen from the parts of the book I quoted in my previous post. Things that are axiomatic do not need an explicit mention, though sometimes it may be preferred, but altogether unnecessary.
toturi
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Feb 17 2007, 08:24 AM)
There doesn't need to be an explicit errata change. The book specifically states the damage code/weapon stats are derived from the flechette stats. The flechette stats changed so then the damage code/weapon stats change. To restate this.

A's stats are derived from B. B originally was +2, +2. B has now been changed to +2, +5. Since A's stats are still derived from B, they are affected by B's new stats. The only way B would not affect A is if A's stats were no longer derived from B. This isn't the case under RAW, as can be seen from the parts of the book I quoted in my previous post. Things that are axiomatic do not need an explicit mention, though sometimes it may be preferred, but altogether unnecessary.

The flechette codes were factored in, not derived from per se. So it doesn't matter if the ammo changes, if you use that ammo in this weapon, the damage is set to this value. The ammo goes into this black box and the weapon shoots it out at that certain value. It is not axiomatic, in fact the book does not state that the weapon values are derived from flechette ammo, it only states that it is factored in. If the change of ammo value will cause a change in weapon damage, then the weapon values have to be changed as well. Which there isn't.

The original weapon values seem to be derived from the flechette ammo, but unless we get the weapon design rules like those in the SR3 Cannon Companion, we cannot say for sure. And even if we do get those rules, we all know very well that the SR3 AVS broke those rules as well.
Eleazar
So, you are saying ammo functions differently in a shotgun and a sliver gun. So much that it is actually more effective than if a sniper rifle were to shoot it out. There is no black box. Ammo in SR4 is universal. Slivers for all intents and purposes is flechette. Shotguns shoot flechette ammo. Whether the stats are factored in from or derived from is inconsequential. It has the same exact effect on the stats of the guns. You are just using different words to describe the same thing.

You don't need weapon design rules to understand this. It is all very unnecessary. Since you are so caught up on specifics being stated, where exactly does it specifically state shotguns and sliverguns change the damage code of flechette ammo? In fact, where does it specifically state anything you are claiming in SR4? Your logic defeats itself.

This discussion is fruitless and will lead nowhere. I have already posted the SR4 rules on this and they clearly define they damage codes are factored in from the flechette ammo damage codes. Since the flechette damage codes were changed, they now have to be refactored. This results in nothing more than the effective equivalent of a misprint or typo in the book.
toturi
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Feb 17 2007, 12:27 PM)
So, you are saying ammo functions differently in a shotgun and a sliver gun. ...

No, I'm stating that the ammo is factored into the damage code already. I do not presume to know how the factoring is done. How the factoring is done is the black box. Is it directly derived from the flechette code? It might seem so. But I do not know for sure.

So I simply follow the RAW. Ammo rules say if weapon uses X ammo, I apply X ammo properties to weapon values. But rules also say that Flechette ammo is already factored into certain weapons. So do you factor flechette ammo into the weapon values again? If yes, you are right, we factor in the errataed ammo into the weapon values. If no, we do not.

Sliverguns and shotguns do not change the damage code of flechette ammo. Flechette ammo changes the damage code of weapons that do not have flechette ammo already factored in. And this is what I am stating - p312 SR49 for ammo rules and p307 and 309 SR4 for (already factored into the Damage Code or similar wording). The only weapon that has flechette factored in and does not have similar wording is the Remington 990, that weapon damage code may be changed due to the lack of a similar clause.

If there is a misprint or a typo, then let the writers/publishers make it known. Unless it is a typo like pg #!!# , but right now, we are not talking about something like that.
Sir_Psycho
I'm pretty sure Sliverguns were designed slightly different, Doesn't it state that loaded with Flechette they do more damage than a normal heavy pistol with flechette would cause?

They are an exception right? I really would suggest taking this to ShadowrunRPG and requesting errata, with or without a Toturi blood sacrifice.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
I'm pretty sure Sliverguns were designed slightly different, Doesn't it state that loaded with Flechette they do more damage than a normal heavy pistol with flechette would cause?

They are an exception right? I really would suggest taking this to ShadowrunRPG and requesting errata, with or without a Toturi blood sacrifice.

Damage isn't the issue its AP.
And Silverguns can fire ONLY flechette rounds nothing else.

I've already emailed them about this on Thursday, but 24 hours past and no word.
Doubt I'll her from them Saturday or Sunday and Monday is a holiday. So if they respond at all it will be Tuesday or later.
Deva
*sigh*
djinni
QUOTE (toturi)
I try not to assume. If the errata doesn't say shotguns and sliverguns change damage and penetration, then they don't change.

yep yep
I guess no one has read the errata to post an answer and is instead going from meory, since the errata does not say "all flechette ammo has changed" it says...
p. 313 Flechette Rounds [4]
The third sentence should read:
“They also raise the effective value of Impact armor (AP +5).”

so then according to the errata the only thing that changed about flechette ammo is that one sentence, under the ammunition listing.
a Remington 990 deals 7P / -1, and 9P (f) / +2 not +1 as would a standard factor of the original flechette ammo.
in addition on page 144 it notes the damages of narrow, medium, and Wide spread
at noted values of +2/+2, +0/+4, -2/+6
if you calculate the associated damage values on a universal "fix" to flechette those noted values would then change to +2/+5, +0/+10, -2/+15.
since it was an errata and page 144 was not noted or changed those flechette values for shotguns remain the same. and on the same issue any weapon that has a noted damage code utilizing flechette ammo remains the same until it is noted in the errata as being in error, or a Faq notation denoting such a universal change need to be made.
Narmio
Forget what the actual rules are, everyone's just mincing words here (derived versus factored in. Hah! Sophistry!)...

Djinni, Toturi: Do you really think that's a sensible ruling? Balanced? Internally consistent?

Or do you rule those things as worthless as "What the developers obviously intended."?
djinni
QUOTE (Narmio)
Forget what the actual rules are, everyone's just mincing words here (derived versus factored in. Hah! Sophistry!)...

it was a rules question you cannot forget the rules when asking a rules question.
my question was not "what is intended by the rules."
it doesn't matter what I think is or is not balanced.
the houserule will stem from what the actual rule is.
a wide burst from a shotgun at 5P DV/+15 AP based off impact armor is not balanced, it's weak.
according to alot of the posters here they think that's balanced, and intended by the rules.
toturi
QUOTE (Narmio @ Feb 18 2007, 09:37 AM)
Forget what the actual rules are, everyone's just mincing words here (derived versus factored in.  Hah!  Sophistry!)...

Djinni, Toturi:  Do you really think that's a sensible ruling?  Balanced?  Internally consistent?

Or do you rule those things as worthless as "What the developers obviously intended."?

There is no sensible ruling. There is no balance. Internally consistent is not an attribute of RAW. It is how the GM applies those rules. The actual rules are what is important, they do not need to be balanced, they do not need to be sensible, they are not required to be internal consistent.

Intent of the rules and spirit of the rules are not necessarily the letter of the rules. Only the letter matters for this discussion, unless a writer cares to weigh in with his intent. In such a case, the writer would have mis-wrote and is clarifying his statement.
Narmio
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 17 2007, 09:08 PM)
There is no sensible ruling. There is no balance. There is only ZOD.  Internally consistent is not an attribute of RAW. It is how the GM applies those rules. The actual rules are what is important, they do not need to be balanced, they do not need to be sensible, they are not required to be internal consistent.

Toturi, you do remember this is a game, right? Not a legal document?

No merit in balance, sensibility, or consistency? How do you even play like that? Have you ever heard of Rule Zero? I read it somewhere, it was about having fun.

QUOTE (ibid.)
Intent of the rules and spirit of the rules are not necessarily the letter of the rules. Only the letter matters for this discussion, unless a writer cares to weigh in with his intent. In such a case, the writer would have mis-wrote and is clarifying his statement.

Again: Intent is not an impenetrable veil. There is, in fact, a whole brance of science devoted to figuring out the intent of others. It's called "Psychology". You cannot ascertain the objective truth value of someone else's thoughts (it is a soft science, after all!), but you can certainly get close enough for PLAYING A GAME!

At least, using my definition of "playing a game". It would appear yours is different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012