Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: next, i need a character generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
northern lights
i checked character generators out in the old thread, but the excel file won't let you select magic (posative qualities magician, adept, mystic adept) anywhere, and the executable wouldn't respond to any type of input.

maybe i'm lost, but it's been out long enough, there ought to be functional generators by now. i'm beguiled, it baffles me so much i'm sure i'm just missing something obvious.
Aaron
What, you didn't like the ones that FanPro linked on their web site?

Oo ... I've always wanted to do this ...

FAQ you! =)
northern lights
What, you didn't like the ones that FanPro linked on their web site?

the fact that i was not aware of them?
BishopMcQ
or if you don't want to go through the FAQ,

DnCRG-- still in early development, pre-betas available. Windows only.
SR4Chargen.xls -- requires Microsoft Excel (may work in other Excel-compatible Office-like programs)
SR4 CGE -- Windows only.
Chargen SR4 2.0 -- Windows only. French site, English program!
SR4CharGenHelper--Javascript/browser-based aid in calculating BP costs.

Note: These are copied from the FAQ for easier reference.
lorechaser
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
or if you don't want to go through the FAQ,

DnCRG-- still in early development, pre-betas available. Windows only.
SR4Chargen.xls -- requires Microsoft Excel (may work in other Excel-compatible Office-like programs)
SR4 CGE -- Windows only.
Chargen SR4 2.0 -- Windows only. French site, English program!
SR4CharGenHelper--Javascript/browser-based aid in calculating BP costs.

Note: These are copied from the FAQ for easier reference.

DnCRG is far from unfinished, though - there's only a couple minor issues with it. It's what I use all the time.
thewolf
The new DnCRG is mostly broken right now, but it will be cool. Someday.
Eleazar
I am still using Daegann's but I am really looking forward to the new DnCRG that thewolf just released. It looks very promising.
eidolon
Do you guys know where I can pick up some of the old 3rd ed chargen programs? I have Jackpoint, but it'd be interesting to check out some of the older stuff. Google searches don't seem to turn up much, but I know there had to be stuff out there at some point.

Sorry to throw this in a 4e thread, but you guys might know, since you're looking for SR4 programs.
Eleazar
There was actually a recent post where someone asked for one of the older SR3 chargens and someone had a zip file on hand. I can not remember what the names were though. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out. As far as I know there are not any other SR3 chargens being hosted except for jackpoint.
thewolf
I'm not sure why you wouldn't use NSRCG by mcmackie:

NSRCG
imperialus
You can create mages adepts and TM's in the xls file, at least if I'm correct in assuming that you tried to use Blakkies? If so the menu to select mundane/magic/technomancer is in the upper left corner under race. The BP are automatically calculated, the magic stat is made available and there is no need to select it a second time under the qualities menu.
lorechaser
QUOTE (thewolf)
The new DnCRG is mostly broken right now, but it will be cool. Someday.

Maybe I'm missing things, then.

What's broken on it? Beyond missing SM, and a couple of fixes like adjusting availability on SINs?
ThatSzechuan
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Feb 20 2007, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (thewolf @ Feb 20 2007, 11:38 AM)
The new DnCRG is mostly broken right now, but it will be cool.  Someday.

Maybe I'm missing things, then.

What's broken on it? Beyond missing SM, and a couple of fixes like adjusting availability on SINs?

For me, the latest versions are showing no options to select skills, just a placeholder. Also, there are no printing/exporting/'options' buttons [all disabled], et cetera. If I somehow downloaded the wrong version, it'd be nice to know. I've tested every version available on the link and they are all broken in some way. This is a shame, because it's the only one whose databases are easily customized.

Edit: Also, no accessorizing gear. The button does nothing.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Eleazar)
There was actually a recent post where someone asked for one of the older SR3 chargens and someone had a zip file on hand. I can not remember what the names were though. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out. As far as I know there are not any other SR3 chargens being hosted except for jackpoint.

that was me and trax, i have the file and emailed it to him because McMackie's site wasnt cooperating

i have the vehicle generator laying around somewhere, i have Daeganns gennerator, as well as the comm generator, and most of the other generators.
thewolf
Re: DnCRG

Yeah, I know it's broken in several ways. The latest is definitively non-functional. I am redesigning a few tabs and doing a lot of work on it to make it more scalable and predictable.

Dominica will calculate and do most operations correctly, outside of the advanced features like accessorizing gear, customizing vehicles, etc. Output isn't enabled yet either, since I hadn't (and still haven't) decided how I want to do that. Hence the disabled buttons.

Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with your screen. It really is broken...heh. It's difficult to find programming time between working on my event for GenCon, my car, my normal shadowrunning activities, a job, etc.
thewolf
Oh, for those playing around with DnCRG, you might want to visit the Dev Thread over here
eidolon
QUOTE (thewolf)

NSRCG

Didn't know where to find it. Thanks!
ThatSzechuan
QUOTE (thewolf)
Oh, for those playing around with DnCRG, you might want to visit the Dev Thread over here

Thanks for the tip, I'll be keeping track of your progress!
Trax
QUOTE (thewolf @ Feb 20 2007, 04:36 PM)

NSRCG

Oh sweet, the site still works? I was the guy that asked for the zip file of this because the site was down, I thought for good.

However, it does not work on Vista. Unless I install it the old way in safe mode perhaps? I don't know. I can't figure out how to do that on this OS right now..

Right now I get an error that says:

Run-Time error '339':

Conponent 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

frown.gif
evilgenius
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)

I'm just posting a flaw I found in the SR4Chargen.xls.

On the "Cyberparts" tab, it wasn't properly calculating the strength, agility, body and armour stats for augmenting cyberlimbs for the Left Leg, Left Arm and Cyberskull. No matter what augmentation you put in, it read as +1 (ie even if you put in a rating 4 bod augmentation, it still thought it was only rating 1 when it calculated the totals for your cyberlimb). I tracked down the problem.

On the same tab, there's hidden columns Q through X. I unhid them, and found an error in the following cells:

Q25 to Q31
Q35 to Q41
Q45 to Q51
R25 to R31
R35 to R41
R45 to R51
S25 to S31
S35 to S41
S45 to S51
T25 to T31
T35 to T41
T45 to T51

I'll only show one correction, but people can extrapolate the necessary corrections for the other cells...

The following formula was in Q25:

=IF(A25="";"";IF(VLOOKUP(A25;Complete_Ware_Table;8;FALSE())="";"";VLOOKUP(A25;Complete_Ware_Table;8;FALSE())*(IF(B25="";1;B25))))

It should read:

=IF(A25="";"";IF(VLOOKUP(A25;Complete_Ware_Table;8;FALSE())="";"";VLOOKUP(A25;Complete_Ware_Table;8;FALSE())*(IF(C25="";1;C25))))

Essentially, the B's should be replaced with C's in all the cells listed above.

So, in Q26, R26, S26 and T26, the last part of the formula should read C25="";1;C26 and in Q27, R27, S27 and T27, they should read C27="";1;C27.

Sorry if the above is overly technical, and sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, but I didn't know where else to post this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012