Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Transparent Society and Shadowrunning
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Blade
People don't think rationaly enough... especially when they are afraid.
Do you think that all the measures taken after 9/11 were needed to prevent such things ?

Maybe some of these were, but some of them were also measures any governement dreams of but can't apply because the people wouldn't accept them. But if the population is scared enough, you can make them accept whatever you want, as long as you say it's for their security. That's what I'm saying.

(And when you have gangers shooting SMG on the highway and people killing each other three blocks away every night, you're okay with having cameras to prevent those guys from getting on your lawn)
Demerzel
I do not claim that any of the measures taken by my government would prevent future acts of terrorism similar to 9/11. I only claim that those steps taken would not have occurred without it.

You claim a chronic endemic of violence would bring about the same change as an acute case of terrorism. Or at least that is what you’ve claimed in this last post, that gangers’ violence would cause the same effect. In your previous post you cited cases that were indeed acute, however I’m not thinking that anyone is going to take the excuse, “Sir your neighbor may actually be 100 injuns in disguise so we have to implement surveillance on both of you to provide for each other’s safety.”

Prior to 9/11 there already existed an endemic of violence in our streets. The 80’s drug wars, the era of prohibition and the machine gun toting gangers that it created did not bring about widespread wiretapping. History indicates that no, it would not happen that way.

So I’m thinking that The Great Ghost Dance, Crash 1.0 and 2.0, and SMG toting Gangers are all insufficient to bring about the surveillance state you’re saying is inevitable. What else you got?
Butterblume
QUOTE (Demerzel)
“Sir your neighbor may actually be 100 injuns in disguise so we have to implement surveillance on both of you to provide for each other’s safety.”

Sir, we are almost certain there could be a dozen terrorists in your population of 80 million, so let's read all your mail, monitor all your calls and log all your movements, so your freedom is guaranteed.

Sound familiar?

At the inception of Shadowrun no one could imagine the amount of surveillance possibble even today, much less the future.

Demerzel
Well, the point of that quote was to point out the absurdity of suggesting that the Great Ghost Dance would bring about the same surveillance as 12 terrorists. You see there is probably not 100 Indians hiding inside your neighbors body waiting at any moment to burst forth gather in a huge group and begin a days long ritual to destroy the city. So therefore the Great Ghost Dance is not a valid excuse for post 9/11 style faux-vigilance.

Consider the history of SR is of hiding things like that from the people, not using it to further the aims of your surveillance society. Consider the case of the Universal Brotherhood. That their case did not cause a massive backlash and public surveillance of every humanitarian organization goes against the concept of “The Transparent Society”.

QUOTE (Butterblume)
At the inception of Shadowrun no one could imagine the amount of surveillance possibble even today, much less the future.

The level of surveillance possible today was imagined and far surpassed in a variety of sources, start with 1941 for a single example, and go on to the other half a million examples at your leisure. My point is that we don’t go down that road in Shadowrun just because we are going down that road in Real Life™, the worlds diverged.
Butterblume
1948 would have been a beter date (george orwell). But I seem to have completely missed your point wink.gif.

But since this is a game forum, I only repeat what was said before: The only reason shadowrunners aren't caught most if the time is because no one really tries.

Surveillance, forensic, magic: if the GM used all tools, the life expectancy of shadowrunners would be really short.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Butterblume)
1948 would have been a beter date (george orwell).

Even 1984, I must have been thinking of that old Videogame...
Cheops
QUOTE (Butterblume)
But since this is a game forum, I only repeat what was said before: The only reason shadowrunners aren't caught most if the time is because no one really tries.

Not true. Shadowrunners aren't caught because of jurisdiction. AA+ corps aren't part of the country, they are separate. So any crimes commited on their property aren't committed in the UCAS, they are committed in Renraku. Lone Star can't prosecute you for something that happened on Renraku turf and Renraku can't legally persue the runners onto UCAS turf.

There is also apathy. If Detective Joe Grand Theft already has 25 cases of grand larceny on his plate another one for a bunch of unknowns (0 public awareness) isn't going to get much attention. Likewise for Det. Crockett Vice and Det. Mulder Paranormal and Det. Susy Kidnapping. Those last three have it even worse because their case loads also tend to fall under FBI jurisdiction.
Demonseed Elite
Demerzel,

Remember that before the Great Ghost Dance, the NAN uprising started with the SAIM terrorist launching of nuclear weapons at the Soviet Union. Also remember that in Shadowrun, the Sears Tower was destroyed by terrorists, an act far more destructive than 9/11 if you go by the Shadowrun text. Both first edition references.

Shadowrun isn't based in a post-terrorism theme, but it's not as if terrorism didn't exist in the alternate future of Shadowrun.
Crakkerjakk
My .02 American Dollars.

Yes there are terrorists. Yes this results in paranoia and surveilance. However, there is no unified state to coordinate.

Each corp has their own surveilance database, and on public property the Star has to get warrants for each and every person who might have recorded some information they want to access. While processing speed and memory might be so vast that it isn't factored into the rules on an individual scale, proccessing the sheer amount of data, sifting the wheat from the chaff, is an enourmously time consuming and expensive process. It can be done, it just usually ins't cost effective.

That being said, high security zones like downtown seattle DO have the resources to pursue folks who take out a few city blocks with assault cannons and explosives. The key to getting away with crime is to not make a big fuss.

Even on a small scale, this is effective. If runners kill every guard in a wharehouse they're raiding, the corp, and the Star if it's only an A rated corp, might take interest, as murder is up there on the, "pisses off the public" rating. If instead, a buncha corp guards get knocked out by professionals with stick n shock, gel rounds, and gas grenades, the corp is likely to cover up their guards incompetence, and if they DO manage to eventually track down the runners, they may be more inclined to hire such consumate professionals, as opposed to eliminating them. A dead guard/cop is a hero. One who gets knocked out is a laughingstock.

This is part of why fanatics are dangerous. They don't put a monetary limit on vengance. Luckily, this tends to limit their available funds. Corps, however, are out to make money. Barring a serious need to cover up whatever certain runners might have found, if the runners make it hard/expensive to find them, the corp will cut their losses and invest in better security. Runners who brag to the people they ride the bus with about what a bad shadowrunner they are, however, will find themselves out of work, and after one botched run, with a corp sec team coming after them where they live.

[/rant]
mfb
SR's global social fabric wasn't spun around the threat of terrorism. however, terrifying events did occur, and i think that if some global authority presented a plan for universal surveillance, the first-world population would gladly accept it.

the reason universal surveillance doesn't exist in SR is, the guys in charge don't want it to exist. for one, as DE pointed out, they use runners too. matter of fact, they are the biggest consumer of runners on the planet. rounding up all of the shadowrunners and putting them in jail or a shallow grave would hurt all of the megacorps' bottom lines, because without such deniable assets, they wouldn't be able to keep the rest of the world in such a stranglehold. even aside from the shadowrunner issue, what do you think universal surveillance would do to trade secrets? all it would take is one bribe to someone with access to the surveillance system, and all your secret projects would be known to your competitors--giving someone money or favors is easy to do without anybody finding out (and even if the briber and bribee are caught, the damage is already done).
eidolon
I don't have a terrible lot to add to what Demerzel is saying, other than to say that I agree wholeheartedly.

Knasser, regarding your take on why the SR world "must" be updated:
[ Spoiler ]
QUOTE (knasser)
But the thing that these have in common is that they are quite clearly demarcated from our own world.

And if you don't feel like the Shadowrun world is, and has always been, then we read the world very differently.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Cheops)
According to RAW Janessa's interpretation of Critter Form and Shapechange are completely INVALID. Both spells state that you cannot change into a creature with Sentience and I'm pretty sure all Metahumans have the Sentience power. If the group is willing to forgo this why bother changing into a metahuman? Body up and turn into a Dragon or a really high force spirit and tear ass across the countryside.

Or we could, you know, choose a far less extreme route and just say it allows one to turn into a non-paranormal version of something around your size with no changes in attributes. In D&D terms, think more Alter Self (2nd Level), than Shapechange (9th Level). Tell you what, to satisfy the sky-is-falling nitpickers here, just say I've imported the Alter Self spell pretty much as is and converted its specs into SR4e terms. There, *now* are you happy? Geez…
ornot
Well technically, Janessa, by permitting Shapechange to act as a disguise spell, you remove the necessity for your character to buy the "physical mask" spell or even "alter self", thus saving yourself 5 karma.

Of course, if you are a level 6 initiate, clearly 5 karma isn't much of an obstacle.

As for the SR-verse being a universal surveillance society, I have to agree with the majority of other posters that this just isn't the case. Sure the technology exists to play Big Brother on everyone, but the infrastructure does not.

I envision corruption as pretty rife in SR, and even those good little citizens in their A+ residences have skeletons they'd prefer to keep hidden. In my world almost everyone is on drugs or BTLs to cope with the madness that is day to day life, so there is not public acceptance or pressure for universal surveillance. Instead everyone wears amoured clothes and carries a concealed gun.
Pyritefoolsgold
QUOTE (eidolon)
I don't have a terrible lot to add to what Demerzel is saying, other than to say that I agree wholeheartedly.

Knasser, regarding your take on why the SR world "must" be updated:
[ Spoiler ]
QUOTE (knasser)
But the thing that these have in common is that they are quite clearly demarcated from our own world.

And if you don't feel like the Shadowrun world is, and has always been, then we read the world very differently.

Shadowrun is obviously based on reality in a way that most other systems aren't. We're talking about running adventures in Seattle, using some firearms that exist today. If it doesn't relate to reality, then no one will relate to it, and it will be consigned forever to the annals of history, only played by the type of people who are in love with the 80s.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Pyritefoolsgold)
If it doesn't relate to reality

Relating to reality and being grotesquely tied to it at the exclusion of plot, internal consistancy, and playablilty is entirely different.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (ornot)
As for the SR-verse being a universal surveillance society, I have to agree with the majority of other posters that this just isn't the case. Sure the technology exists to play Big Brother on everyone, but the infrastructure does not.

It appears that my group differs a bit from the norm here. I've got a GM who loves CSI, Law & Order, and any other crime drama you can think of. She reads crime drama and true crime as well, has a degree in archaeology and has taken some forensics courses. Do I worry about having to potentially outwit a crack CSI / investigative team on every run? In my case the answer is “Hell, yes!”, unfortunately. I actually didn’t plan on starting out as a Level 6 Initiate (BP expensive as hell!) but I dare not leave the slightest evidence behind and as I have Magic 6 (a major “class” attribute, of course I’m maxing it out), I need an Initiate Level to match it so that I can cover every single spell I cast. In the “Standard Behavioral Security Precautions” section of my (20 page) character sheet, I’ve explicitly noted that when leaving for runs the first thing she does is change her aura and mask herself and her foci. Otherwise I’m looking at worrying about Seattle 2070’s answer to Lord Darcy and Master Sean homing in on me, more than likely…
mfb
JanessaVR, i think your GM is missing some of what SR is. there is no reason for most authorities to try to track you down. nobody in SR cares about solving crime for the sake of solving crime--all they care about is preventing crime, and even then, only crimes perpetrated against themselves. unless there is something concrete to be gained by chasing a specific runner down, runners won't generally be pursued by the authorities.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
Relating to reality and being grotesquely tied to it at the exclusion of plot, internal consistancy, and playablilty is entirely different.

you seem to be assuming that everyone who is arguing against you--ie, arguing against keeping SR stuck in the 80s--is agreeing with JanessaVR's GM on the issue of universal surveillance. that isn't the case. most of us are arguing that SR should be brought out of the 80s because of issues of plot, internal consistency, and playability.
Demerzel
QUOTE (mfb)
arguing against keeping SR stuck in the 80s

I'm not saying that SR should not have a developing technology, I'm just saying that you shouldn't model it on the way our technology is evolving. They are being driven by different motivations.

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Shadowrun isn't based in a post-terrorism theme

This is what I'm striving for. The concept of ubiquitous serveillance is a consequence of a post-terrorism theme. I don't want to impose our modern problems on this world.

QUOTE (JanessaVR)
In the “Standard Behavioral Security Precautions” section of my (20 page) character sheet, I’ve explicitly noted that when leaving for runs the first thing she does is change her aura and mask herself and her foci.

Do you have meticulously determined weights and volumes for every item of gear to exactly calculate your encumbrance as well?

I can’t even get some of my players to write a backstory, with or without details. I imagine if the bulk of GMs required this kind of diligence on the part of their players the game would not be playable. I have a hard time understanding the GMs who try and beat their players, I have times I wish I didn’t have to remind them that they can walk and don’t need to levitate…
Crakkerjakk
There is a way to defeat this type of GMing, if you don't like it. Use all your nuyen to buy a crapton of ammo and explosives, then nuke city hall. Once your GM kills you, do the exact same thing with your new characters. At some point, the GM will probably crack, and demand that you stop ruining their gameworld. Now that you have both estabished that you can take the fun outa playing shadowrun, maybe you and your GM can have a reasonable discussion about where both of you would like to see a campaign head, and what to hand wave, annd what requires planning and paranoia.

Personally, if I had to write down that I collect all my poop and burn it every day to avoid leaving ritual samples anywhere, I'd go batty. I think it's unfair to ask my players to do the same, and it becomes more of a GM vs. Players game, as opposed to Players vs. NPCs.

If you enjoy that type of game, well, guess thats your perogative. It just seems very, very, very frustrating.
ornot
I don't really think that the kind of 80's Shadowrun that existed in first ed. is (unlike steampunk) sufficiently outré to survive as its own genre. While I can agree that to a certain extent SR is losing its cyberpunk origins, playing 80's inspired cyberpunk won't mean a great deal to the majority of players today.

That being said, I have noticed that almost all of the Shadowrun Missions being released seem to involve missions sponsored by organised crime, which is a bit odd. However, a cunning GM can create corp sponsored runs and really develop the back-stabbing, politicking world of the mega-corps as they slowly crush the spirit (and the nuyen) out of a drugged up, self destructive populace. And ultimately you can GM the world as dark, gritty and anarchopunk as you want.
mfb
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I'm not saying that SR should not have a developing technology, I'm just saying that you shouldn't model it on the way our technology is evolving. They are being driven by different motivations.

coming up with an entirely new technological paradigm is just as bad as leaving SR in the 80s, because either way, nobody will relate to it. that doesn't mean SR should slavishly follow every new technology or technological improvement that comes out, but it does mean that SR should follow or at least acknowledge the general trends and norms.
Crakkerjakk
Wait a tic. Did you just say that you "started" with an initiation level of six? As in, at character creation? Because, as far as I'm aware, you can't initiate until after character creation.
Demerzel
QUOTE (mfb)
coming up with an entirely new technological paradigm is just as bad as leaving SR in the 80s,

But SR is an entirely new technological paradigm. It is currently extrapolated from technology that was modern in the 80s and has been molded to match some of the concepts that we have come to know in the current decade.

What I want is for us not to jump on every piece of modern techno-excrement and say this MUST be represented in our gameworld. Every piece of technology should be considered as it relates to the game and a decision should be made if it is representative of the world we are trying to describe and the game we are trying to play.

In this case perfect surveillance is the technology under consideration, and luckly for me many people have come along with a dozen good reasons why it doesn’t have to be in the gameworld and can be explained away.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
Wait a tic. Did you just say that you "started" with an initiation level of six? As in, at character creation? Because, as far as I'm aware, you can't initiate until after character creation.

An annoying oversight in the rules, that. House-ruled in. Creation points are 500 BP as well. Few of us are fond of playing "1st Level Characters." At a flat 10 points per level, I've got 40 BP extra left to play with...like I said - OUCH.
mfb
QUOTE (Demerzel)
But SR is an entirely new technological paradigm. It is currently extrapolated from technology that was modern in the 80s and has been molded to match some of the concepts that we have come to know in the current decade.

What I want is for us not to jump on every piece of modern techno-excrement and say this MUST be represented in our gameworld. Every piece of technology should be considered as it relates to the game and a decision should be made if it is representative of the world we are trying to describe and the game we are trying to play.

we basically agree, then.

JanessaVR, it sounds like the way your group plays is quite a bit different from the way many other groups play. that said, i know (and enjoy gaming with) several players whose characters sound like they'd fit well into your game. they tend to be possessed of above-average abilities, but they're very subtle with them. i like comparing it to GitS:SAC.
Crakkerjakk
10 points for a level of initiation seems a little low, seeing as you get all kinds of nifty perks associated with it. How does it work out to only 40BP remaining? I'm confused on the math.

Also, I used to live in Sacramento. Grew up in Elk Grove, actually. Just noticed you were from Sac.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (mfb)
JanessaVR, it sounds like the way your group plays is quite a bit different from the way many other groups play. that said, i know (and enjoy gaming with) several players whose characters sound like they'd fit well into your game. they tend to be possessed of above-average abilities, but they're very subtle with them. i like comparing it to GitS:SAC.

I can see that style of play happening. My gaming group is also my anime club and we've all seen all the GitS episodes. Most of us will be playing that way - except for one guy whose philosophy (in the past in a 3e game) has been "I'm an Ork and I like to throw grenades!" - even when we're trying to be quiet. Sigh. Gods, nearly shot him myself for almost spoiling a nice quiet B&E job in the dead of night with what *would* have been no opposition, silenced alarms, and no witnesses - until *someone* decided to pick a fight with an entire street gang...
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
How does it work out to only 40BP remaining? I'm confused on the math.

Normal character creation is 400 BP. At 500 BP, we have 100 extra points. Initiate Level 6 burns 60 points (at 10 points per level), leaving me with 40 extra BP over normal after my "tax" to completly conceal my Magic 6 spellcasting. Oh well, took other perks in the process; I chose: Absorption, Centering, Extended Masking, Flexible Signature, Masking, Shielding. Poured the remaining 40 BP into boosting Active Magical Skills.
ornot
That must be a grotesquely potent team. Starting characters in themselves can be pretty sick, provided they play smart and the GM isn't throwing Dragons at them.
Butterblume
If you're not min-maxing your specialty, but spreading your points around, 500BP doesn't seem like that much more.
ornot
Even so... rank 6 initiate at char gen.... brrrrr.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Butterblume)
If you're not min-maxing your specialty, but spreading your points around, 500BP doesn't seem like that much more.

Still under construction, but yes, I'm mini-maxing my character for all she's worth with respect to being a mage. Being a mage is *expensive* - I don't have a lot of leftover points for much of anything else anyway. She can't fight, she can't shoot, she can't hack, and as a Conjurer she sucks there, too. But as a Sorcerer, she's damn near optimized at present. Hoping someone else will want to play a shaman / spirit-oriented tradition to balance me out on the magical front.
ornot
if you're min-maxing, and you're sinking all those points into initiation, it seems a little strange to not be buying your magic above 6, considering how much more oomph it might give your spells.

I just feel that buying all those ranks of initiation to hide your spell casting is a little pointless when you can still be discrete with magic without so many, and you're sacrificing any effectiveness your character might have outside her niche. The moment your GM sticks you somewhere with any background count, you're gimped.
Blade
Just to get back quickly on the post-terrorism topic: I understand why I didn't exactly understand what you were trying to say and the other way around.

I wasn't referring specifically to the terrorist threat. My point is that when people's values/beliefs are shaken or destroyed (be it because of a terrorist attack or anything else) they get afraid and are turning towards "strong" people (political extremes for example) and are ready to lose freedom to get a more secure society.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012