Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Southern Hospitality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
ludomastro
Ok, its now 2120 and I'm awake.

Here we go. The setting is of course the Confederation of American States (CAS) and your characters will be based in Atlanta. Please note that if you live or have lived in Atlanta that (my) Atlanta of 2070 bears only a passing resemblance to that of today. Your characters will most likely be mobile and will visit serveral sites in the CAS for "work".

You have 400 BP and will use RAW unless noted otherwise below. Also, in an effort to be somewhat fair (not to mention that I don't own Street Magic ... yet) you are limited to what is found in the BBB. If you have a resonable idea that you want to propose, I will most likely approve it but reserve the right to restrict it till after character creation.

Send me your character background idea first. However, you are welcome to send a character sheet too if you are like me and do both at the same time.

If you need my email, let me know.
ludomastro
HOUSE RULES

Contacts cost Loyalty x Connection and starting characters are limited to Contacts with Connection 4. You are welcome to buy as much loyalty as you wish.

[edit]You get Charisma x 3 bonus BP for contacts only. Still have to pay the Layalty x Connection though.[/edit]

You have 10 bonus Skill Points to buy active skills for character quirks. For instance: Billiards/Pool 4, Ballroom Dancing 2, and Poker 4. They might be useful but can't mirror existing active skills.

[edit]Changed BP to Skill Points.[/edit]

In the CAS, some things are more or less available than in Seattle. Please modify the availability as follows. Should the availability rely on a calculation (i.e. rating x 2) this modifier is applied after the calculation.
  • Holdout, Light and Heavy Pistols: -1
  • Sport Rifles and Shotguns: -2
  • Non-"F" Ammo: -1
  • All Bioware: +2
A glitch on a damage resistance test will degrade armor by 1 point.
A critical glitch degrades it by 2.
    Example: Assume armor of 4/2. A glitch against bullets drops the the armor to 3/2. A critical glitch against impact drops it to 4/0.
Technomancers get:
  • one additional IP for use in AR only. Does not stack with other IP increases.
  • skinlink.

[edit]The hole left over from removed 'ware may be filled with new 'ware.[/edit]
ludomastro
HSITORY of the CAS: 2062 to PRESENT

The last cannon update for the CAS that I have (or know of for that matter) is Shadows of North America for SR3, published in 2004.

If you are familiar with the cannon timeline, nothing has changed.

This is an update of where things have gone since the CAS election of 2062. Future info may make all of this non-cannon, but I can live with that if you can.

CAS History and Politics go hand in hand. The True American Coalition (comprised of the Republicans and the Reformed Democrats) won the presidential election of 2060 as well as the Senate.

SURGE along with "foreign" investment caused its own issues. In 2062 the Southern Democrats took back the House but the True American Coalition held on to the Senate.

The election of 2064 was questioned due to the chaos following the crash; however, it was settled as follows: the President, Cheryl Cundiff, and her Veep, Brad Williams, were re-elected. The True American Coalition dropped to third place in the House but held the Senate despite a huge gain by the Southern Conservatives.

2068 saw the political demise of Brad Willams before he was even able to make a run of his own for the Manor House. Aparently catagorically denying involvement with "that woman" is still bad when an en flagrante video is made public two hours later. That appeared to be the straw that broke the cammel's back. The True American Coalition is still oficially working together but has all but fractured. They lost the Manor House to Johnathon P. Monroe of New Orleans and his Veep, Susan Q. Milford of South Carolina. The Southern Dems also hold on the highest number of seats in the Senate but have to form voting coalitions to get anything done. The Southern Democrats, in a surprise move, took control of the House.

With help from the Republicans in the Senate and control of the Manor House, the Southern Dems were able to defeat to the Southern Conservative lead bill to clamp down further on magic users of all stripes. The bounty for those who raise the dead is still in effect. The restrictions of the previous administration have been lessened; however, bioware is still hard to get.

In Corp new, SK, is in! The UCAS is in bed with Ares and the CAS is in bed with SK. SK Prime has new offices in Denver and Atlanta and other divisions have set up shop in Mobile and Pensacola. Rumor has it that the ERLA just approved some land for SK purchase in western Alabama near Tuscaloosa.

2070 is an off election year. One third of the Senate seats are up for grabs as well as all the House seats. Everyone wants a piece of the action and that may spell wealth for those that are willing to do what it takes.
ludomastro
THE MATRIX

Ok, no rule changes here but a few clarifications for the sake of my sanity.

By RAW any device, let's say a refrigerator, is a node. So is the network with the "term" at the center of the apartment in which we find said refrigerator. So is the store downstairs.

All I can say is that, IMHO, that gets confusing fast. So, here are my terms for Matrix structure:

Devices are devices.
Devices that mesh together with a controller, like a "term", are simple networks.
A mesh network is a collection of networks that share information. In a general sense, the public Matrix is a mesh network.
A system is a series of interconnected computers and devices (wired or not) that perform the same or a similar purpose. e.g. the Security System at SK would include cameras, alarms, door computers, elevator locks, etc.

As I said, this is not required but helps me make sense of what is going on.

The ever present bombardment of signals (aka AR spam) has caused commlink makers to present several (mostly ineffective) options to consumers. You can mostly ignore the general spam if you want; however, Horizon will hit you at some point with their most recent viral marketing ad.

Don't think of the VR Matrix as "The Matrix" as in, the movie. The VR Matrix is noticeably computer generated and designed as a faster visual interface for the all that information.
ludomastro
MISCELLANEOUS

Please use http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py for dice rolls.

Please turn off your sig for IC posts.

Color Scheme for posts:
    "Speech" [cyan]
    <Coms (spoken)> [yellow]
    <Coms (subvocal)> [violet]
    <Text Message> [black]
    Thoughts [darkkhaki]
    Memories [lightgrey]

Props to Redjack for this arrangement. notworthy.gif

I've put the color scheme in my signature for ease of reference and I will leave my signature on in OOC.

NOTE: I will most likely be introducing SOTA rules at some point; however, don't fret over them yet. We have to get throught the first run before I will worry about posting them.
Thanee
Reserving this space for showing some interest. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Trigger
Ditto to Thanee wink.gif
gobogen
Yup I'm also interested.
ludomastro
Rules for Southern Hospitality are now up. Have at it!
Trigger
Alright, I am cooking something up as I type...it will be in soon.
Thanee
That sounds pretty cool. smile.gif

Got some questions/comments, though...

Contacts cost Loyalty x Connection

Considering, that (decent) Contacts are even more expensive this way, maybe you could consider the (fairly common) house rule to give extra BP only for Contacts equal to CHA x3 (or x2); similar to the free Skill Points in Knowledge Skills. Gives you a little incentive to get a decent CHA, and it makes sense that someone with a decent CHA knows more people, too. smile.gif

You have 10 bonus BP...

Skill Points (as the free Knowledge Skill Points), BP doesn't get you very far. wink.gif

...to buy active skills for character quirks. For instance: Billiards/Pool 4, Ballroom Dancing 2, and Poker 4. They might be useful but can't mirror existing active skills.

So, kinda like Hobby Skills, just not Knowledge...
Dancing is listed under Athletics, BTW.

And the most important question... how do you (since the rules are not out yet) resolve upgrading and replacing cyberware/bioware concerning Essence?

Can you fill in the hole left by removed 'ware with other 'ware?

Bye
Thanee
ludomastro
QUOTE (Thanee)

maybe you could consider the (fairly common) house rule to give extra BP only for Contacts equal to CHA x3

Done! Still have to pay Loyalty x Connection though.

QUOTE (Thanee)

QUOTE (Alex)
You have 10 bonus BP...

Skill Points (as the free Knowledge Skill Points), BP doesn't get you very far. wink.gif

Done! I actually meant Skill Points ... embarrassed.gif

QUOTE (Thanee)

Can you fill in the hole left by removed 'ware with other 'ware?

Yes.
Thanee
QUOTE (Alex)
I actually meant Skill Points ... embarrassed.gif

Figured as much from your example. Just to avoid confusion. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
ErrosCallidus
Still got space? PM on the way with Driver/Adept info...
Redjack
Got a street shaman I'm working on right now.. I'm PM some details.
Thanee
I will probably make something along the lines of a Combat Hacker. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Shadow
I wouldn't mind taking a crack at being a mage. Since the Street Magic rules really are mostly for Initiates it shouldn't be a problem not having them.
Thanee
The only real lack without Street Magic is some nice spells from there. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Redjack
I think the adept powers are the best part of Street Magic (and the previously mentioned enhancements to initiation).
ludomastro
So far I have three submissions:

Erros - No Name as of Yet - Former UCAS Tank Gunner
Redjack - Eric "The Book" - Snake Shaman
Shadow - Sundown - Coyote?

QUOTE (Thanee)

The only real lack without Street Magic is some nice spells from there.   smile.gif

True, but that just means that you can't start with said nice spells. You can learn them in game, however.
ErrosCallidus
"Hello? yeah... this is Dalton. yeah, Carron Dalton. You said you've got work?.... I can do that. Just let me know when and where. Oh, and do you want it quiet or loud? cause I'm good with either. Okay.. see you there" <click>

Sheet's ready if you want it.
Trigger
My concept is coming along, it will be into you shortly....
Thanee
Character submission sent. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Cedric Rolfsson
I might be interested, but I'm used to running a mage, and I see you've already got some of those.

I've never run a technomancer, let me see about putting one of those together.
ludomastro
Erros - Carron Dalton - Former UCAS Tank Gunner - Rigger I assume?
Shadow - Sundown - "Smuggler" w/ some mojo
Thanee - Jazz - Rigger

Ok folks, I am looking for five or six. Right now, however, I have some overlap though it doesn't look horrendous. I plan on closing off character posting Tuesday night at 2200 MST. I'll make the final decision then.

Keep the concepts coming.
Cedric Rolfsson
Okay, having reviewed the submission to date, and having looked at the technomancer (freaking BP crunching monster) I'll have a phys ad to submit so they'll be some head bashers available.
gobogen
Well I said I'd be up for this, but I don't have a concept coming up so I'll just pass. Have fun guys.
ErrosCallidus
Yeah, he's a rigger. He hasn't gotten any headware as the idea freaks him out. (with approval) He's got a set of trodes in the lining of his helmet from the armor unit he was in. Think a Hammer's Slammer's vet running the shadows and you'll have the right idea. sarcastic.gif
Trigger
My idea is for a southern belle assassin...been playing with it in my head and it sounds like fun biggrin.gif
2bit
Playing in the CAS and no houngans yet??

Ah - it's the no street magic condition, isn't it? gotcha.

Alex, Ive also submitted concepts.
ludomastro
Erros - Carron Dalton - Former UCAS Tank Gunner - Rigger I assume?
Thanee - Jazz - Hacker w/ some Rigger goodness thrown in
Cedric - Dean - Mystic Adept
2bit - Jean Guinard - Heavy Hitter (Troll) OR Mark Rodriguez - Face/Security

It is 2035 by my watch. That leaves 85 minutes. I'm looking at you Trigger.

QUOTE (2bit)

Playing in the CAS and no houngans yet??

Ah - it's the no street magic condition, isn't it? gotcha.

You can, but remember that the bounty for those who raise the dead is still in place. spin.gif
Trigger
Alright, it will be in soon..... biggrin.gif
ludomastro
Erros - Carron Dalton - Former UCAS Tank Gunner - Rigger
Thanee - Jazz - Hacker w/ some Rigger goodness thrown in
Cedric - Dean - Mystic Adept
2bit - Mark Rodriguez - Face/Security
Trigger - "Belle" - Assassin

Posting is now closed. I'll let the successful know before midnight.
ludomastro
After thinking about it for a while, you are all in. I couldn't bring myself to cut your good ideas.

Ok, I'll set up the OOC thread. Take time to chat and decide if any of your characters know each other. Also send in the character sheets.

I will ask up front that you not use "throwaway" allergies for a BP boost. If you have an allergy, I do plan on using it. Seawater for example is not allowed as the setting is Atlanta which is 240 miles (~385 km) inland. An excellent RP reason might sway me.
Thanee
Hey, Erros, Shadow and Cedric!

Why don't ya'll (wink.gif) also make a post in the OOC to reserve a spot for your character description, so we got them all at the top of the thread for later reference. smile.gif

You can just edit it in then, once you are ready. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012