Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spur Location
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
djinni
the description says that the spurs protrude "wrist or knuckles."
unfortunately our GM has convinced the rest of the group it should be taken literally so that cyberspurs cannot be located anywhere else...

any help in producing an argument to the contrary would be most appreciated
knasser
Well common sense would suggest that if you can fit a spur to come out of the wrist or knuckly, you can fit it to come out the other way through an elbow (possibly more useful than you might think if you've never done a martial art that makes use of elbows) or some other places. The counter would be that if it were an unusual place then cost would go up as it's less standard, and barring the possible damage you could do with a razor sharp elbow, knuckles and wrists seem the most natural place to mount them in terms of usefulness.

Where did you want the spur and why?
Ancient History
Ah, the joys...look under the Combat Active Skills section for the description of the Exotic Melee Weapons Skill.

Realistically, the major limitation for a spur is placing it parallel to a long bone and not stabbing yourself whenever you deploy the damned thing. Standard placement to come along the hand allows you to use normal Blade techniques; the more usual unusual placements are coming out the back of the arm by the elbow (elbow spur) or along the shin to come out near the knee (knee spur) and each requires their own specific Exotic Melee Weapon Skill.
Mistwalker
Have it come out of the bottom of your foot.
Skill needed is break dancing spin.gif
djinni
QUOTE (Mistwalker)

while these are nice suggestions they don't give me a basis with which to form an argument.

knasser, right now I do not have a specific location in mind for a spur other than the elbow (retracting through the forearm) to attack individuals coming up from behind. however the prosect of a spur being somewhere other than listed locations is the desire.
Mistwalker
Djinni,

take a look at page 112, exotic melee weapons, as Ancient History suggested.

the description on exotic melee weapons finished with "cyber-implants weapons in unusual locations (ie. elbow spurs, foot blades)."
djinni
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
take a look at page 112, exotic melee weapons, as Ancient History suggested.

my bad I took it as a suggestion for the spurs in other locations.
I will definately use that.
any other Ideas?
Thane36425
I have used the elbow placement as well as along the shin coming up at an angle in front of the knee. That particular Sammie was trained in Muy Tai. Made those knee kicks very deadly. The movement issue was avoided by only deploying the blade just before he actually delivered the kicks and retracted them immediately afterwards. We counted that as part of his training so it was done as a matter of reflex.
TheRedRightHand
The tailor bills must have been hell though...
Mistwalker
Well, if the sammy get's along well with the mage, the spell fix should take care of that problem in a jiffy.
Trigger
Foot blades is what I thought when you brought up cyber spurs in unusual locations....now I can make my X-23 cyber spur sammie biggrin.gif
Jack Kain
So your a female clone of a runner named Logan who hand razors and some deltaware bone modifications.
Trigger
Of course....cloned by the government to be an assassin, hence the unusual cyberware and the high grade of it. biggrin.gif
lorechaser
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
So your a female clone of a runner named Logan who hand razors and some deltaware bone modifications.

Of course, you'll die at 30.

That was a really obscure stretch from the quote.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

The quote was obscure there was no stretch.
X-23 was X-Men character. Rather then explain it myself look her up here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-23
lorechaser
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Feb 26 2007, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

The quote was obscure there was no stretch.
X-23 was X-Men character. Rather then explain it myself look her up here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-23

No, my comment was an obscure stretch. Yours I got just fine. wink.gif
Jack Kain
Alrighty then slight miss under standing
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Mistwalker)

Didn't they have Foot Anchors in Man and Machine? I imagine a spur coming out the bottom of your foot is pretty much the same thing.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Feb 25 2007, 06:02 PM)

Didn't they have Foot Anchors in Man and Machine? I imagine a spur coming out the bottom of your foot is pretty much the same thing.

You could also build a boot with a retractable knife in side. Now thats a steel toed boot!
TheOOB
*Contemplates the idea of a head spur for killer head butts*
Thane36425
QUOTE (TheOOB)
*Contemplates the idea of a head spur for killer head butts*

Man and Machine had horns, that should be along the lines of what you are thinking about.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Ah, Logan's Run

Everyone dies at 30. If you don't report in for termination on your birthday, Logan and his fellow (forget the term) enforcers come along and kill you. All sanctioned of course.

Your dating yourself there Lorechaser
grin
but I though of the same thing when I saw the name
lorechaser
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Your dating yourself there Lorechaser
grin
but I though of the same thing when I saw the name

Not quite as much as if I'd seen it in theaters, but my friends did make a point to give me the DVD when I turned 30.
cetiah
Spurs are okay, and where they can be placed is fairly easy to judge. I'm far more concerned about players coming up with creative locations for razors. eek.gif
Shrike30
The fluff in Cybertechnology, specifically Hatchetman's life story, indicated that putting spurs in other parts of your body does happen sometimes. If memory serves, he had a pair of spurs in one arm... one forwards as normal, one coming back out the elbow.
Chrome Shadow
Logans Run... Great movie...

And the cats have three names...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012