Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Stuff @ Heavy Angel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HullBreach
Well the weekend content load was smaller than expected, but I did a lot of maintnence and house-cleaning at the site. This is in preparation for some new stuff thats in the pipe for the next several weeks, so check back!

The first addition are Red-Dot scopes! These are great for precision shooting, and in some very specific circumstances can actually out-perform a smartlink. Most of the time they are the rough equivilant of a laser sight though. Check them out here:
http://heavyangel.com/?page_id=60

The other page should be pretty familiar to Dumpshock readers who read my old post on house rules. I finally got around to posting them on the site here:
http://heavyangel.com/?page_id=9

As usual if you spot any problems or typo's, please post them here so I can make corrections.
bibliophile20
I like both of them, but the house rules are awesome. And as for the grenade embedded in the car door, it certainly brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "car bombing" doesn't it?! ^_^

So, what happened to the driver of said car?
HullBreach
He had a bad, bad day smile.gif

The best part was him trying to figure our why his buddy was jumping up and down pointing at the door.
Fix-it
out-perform a HUD-based reticule that compensates for recoil?
lorechaser
QUOTE (HullBreach)
As usual if you spot any problems or typo's, please post them here so I can make corrections.

QUOTE (Heavy Angel)

allow the weapons theyre mounted on

Just an errant ' wandering off....
HullBreach
QUOTE (Fix-it)
out-perform a HUD-based reticule that compensates for recoil?

Not really. If you think out how these work it makes sense. You basically have a dot that is tuned to a specific point in space that a projectile will pass through. So long as the user takes a moment to line things up properly (using a 'take aim' action) the resulting hit is a gimme so long as proper trigger and breathing control are used.

I don't think aiming should benefit fully automatic fire, but I can see it benefiting burst fire to an extent.
hobgoblin
given that in SR fully automatic fire is defined as a series of bursts, one could rule that for the first burst in the attack action the aim action have an effect, but the latter ones do not...
nezumi
I like the red-dot thing. Permission to steal for SR3? (As an aside, you have a lot of cool stuff that's SR4 only. Any plans on providing parallel rules for SR3, so I can just link to the whole site instead of picking and choosing?)

One thing I've been wondering about putting in myself, but might be better served by someone more familiar with firearms, have you considered putting in tritium sights? They're tiny, glow-in-the-dark iron sights. Unlike laser sights, normal iron sights, scopes, etc., they allow you to quickly determine where your gun is pointing even in pitch black. Doesn't help so much with target acquisition, but at least you know the gun is pointing the right way. I'm worried the bonus would be too small to bother with though... Thoughts?

Typo:
“Thy grenades shalt not defy Sir Issack Newton”
Isaac? Also, what's wrong with rubber grenades? I think it's funnier when I bounce them off the floor.

"45degrees"
Missing a space

“Thy Grenades may sometimes become one with their targets”
'Grenades' should be lower case.

"The GM can consult barrier ratings if they like,"

You've just highlighted a more pervasive bastardization of the English language. "They" is a plural pronoun, not singular neuter (unless the GM happens to be some sort of group consciousness, then it many be acceptable). Proper grammar would be 'if he likes', 'if she likes', OR, if you really want to go all the way, 'if he or she likes'.
HullBreach
QUOTE (nezumi)
I like the red-dot thing. Permission to steal for SR3? (As an aside, you have a lot of cool stuff that's SR4 only. Any plans on providing parallel rules for SR3, so I can just link to the whole site instead of picking and choosing?)

One thing I've been wondering about putting in myself, but might be better served by someone more familiar with firearms, have you considered putting in tritium sights? They're tiny, glow-in-the-dark iron sights. Unlike laser sights, normal iron sights, scopes, etc., they allow you to quickly determine where your gun is pointing even in pitch black. Doesn't help so much with target acquisition, but at least you know the gun is pointing the right way. I'm worried the bonus would be too small to bother with though... Thoughts?

Be my guest on converting! Once I figure out a nice way to code it, I'd love to make the site work for both SR3 and SR4, where it would only show the data pertinant to what the users version is.

As for the Tritium sights, I have them installed on my carry piece IRL, so I'm very familiar with them. I was planning on writing up rules for them in the near future, and I was thinking that a small reduction to darkness based penalties would be appropriate.

I'll let you know when I get them posted!

By the way, thanks to all you english majors! I'll be editing the site tonight to correct the atrocities my public education has wrought on the interweb!

Keep up the good work! Good editors make for good writing!
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (nezumi)
I like the red-dot thing. Permission to steal for SR3?

Have you had a look at these?
nezumi
Not any time recently, but Hullbreach's site also isn't blocked by my work's filter, and yours is nyahnyah.gif
Austere Emancipator
I should wish it was mine, but all I can take credit for on that site is the correction of one typo. smile.gif
lorechaser
QUOTE (nezumi)
“Thy Grenades may sometimes become one with their targets”
'Grenades' should be lower case.

Depends on the player. wink.gif I know a couple people that have grenades that deserve the cap....

QUOTE (nezumi)

"The GM can consult barrier ratings if they like,"

You've just highlighted a more pervasive bastardization of the English language.  "They" is a plural pronoun, not singular neuter (unless the GM happens to be some sort of group consciousness, then it many be acceptable).  Proper grammar would be 'if he likes', 'if she likes', OR, if you really want to go all the way, 'if he or she likes'.

I always prefer to reword the sentence.

"The GM can consult barrier ratings if necessary."
Thane36425
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (nezumi)
I like the red-dot thing. Permission to steal for SR3?

Have you had a look at these?

That's the way I handled these in my games, since they are essentially a variant of the laser pointer type of sighting system.
HullBreach
My reasoning behind why these work the way they do in terms of game mechanics has to do with some real world experience.

Ive used an AR-15 in a light carbine configuration (collapsable stock, 16inch barrel) with both laser sights and red-dot type sights, specifically an Aimpoint Comp M3 2 M.O.A unit.

We were at an open range normally used by the police, and had a dozen targets set up at ranges of 10m-50m in a 90 degree arc. Targets were numbered 1-12, and one of us would roll a D12 (Im not shitting you, I actually dug one out for the occaision) and call out the number. The user would then try and put one in the chest and one in the head on that target.

Somthing I noticed not just with my own shooting, but with several others who fired the same weapon, was that when using the laser sight, there was a tendancy to do whats referred to as 'chasing the target' where the shooter continually overcorrects in smaller and smaller increments, trying to muscle the weapon onto target. I suspect that smartgun users would suffer simalar habits as their reticule would be in almost constant motion as it compensates for a variety of factors to show the systems projected point of impact.

When using the red-dot sights, I noticed that users had a tendency to index onto the target, pause for a moment, then fire. Shooting with the reflex sights was generally more precise, and surprisingly despite the pause, faster.
Spike
I'll voice a mild disagreement with you, if only to point out the opposite perspective.

Remember that the makers of the Smartlink systems will have had the advantages of decades with red dot sights. In fact, my first expirence with that sort of sight had me thinking 'Smartlinks will do this without having to look through the scope'... or something along those lines. If anything the Smartlink is, to me, the evolved version of the 'aimpoint' sight, not the laser sight, which is why lasers are still in use... it represents a different branch of the technology tree or some such.

As for someone's comment about tritium sights... I'd leave it alone mechanically. If there is an appreciable value to the sights (not the forum for that discussion), there would be NO reason for gun makers not to include them as standard by 2050-2070. I'd be more inclined to assume that if they weren't, no one is just going to put on the sights and do nothing else, so if you 'customize' your gun significantly, you get an equipment bonus in general, not '+X in Y Situations'.

Of course, I'm rather fond of point shooting techniques and keeping fiddly bits to a minimum in game systems. Getting too fine into the grit of gun customization means players are going to start looking for dice bonuses for having ergonomic grips or chromed barrels.... when your gun gives you more dice than your skill, it's time to rethink your 'customization rules'... wink.gif
Butterblume
QUOTE (HullBreach)
Shooting with the reflex sights was generally more precise, and surprisingly despite the pause, faster.

I am sometimes awed what those Biathlon athletes hit with reflex shooting. After all, they fire with a pulse of 170...
HullBreach
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I am sometimes awed what those Biathlon athletes hit with reflex shooting. After all, they fire with a pulse of 170...

At one point during training we did a drill where we had to sprint 300 yards in full battle rattle then dove prone and started immediately engaging targets on an unknown distance range.

Probobly one of the most sobering and best bits of training I ever had. We had guys who could score expert on the range who were having problems hitting in the same zip-code as their target.

It gave us a little tast of what combat marksmanship would actually be like, with the adrenalin flowing.
nezumi
QUOTE (Spike)
players are going to start looking for dice bonuses for having ergonomic grips or chromed barrels....

Personalized grip gives a -1 to recoil compensation. nyahnyah.gif
Thane36425
QUOTE (HullBreach)

At one point during training we did a drill where we had to sprint 300 yards in full battle rattle then dove prone and started immediately engaging targets on an unknown distance range.

Probobly one of the most sobering and best bits of training I ever had. We had guys who could score expert on the range who were having problems hitting in the same zip-code as their target.

It gave us a little tast of what combat marksmanship would actually be like, with the adrenalin flowing.

When I used to shoot regularly, I would sometimes to a set of calesthentics like push ups, jumping jacks and so forth for a minute or so between sets to get the same effect. Shooting prone on a range is one thing, but doing it when your can hardly breathe and your limbs are twitching is a whole other animal.
Spike
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 5 2007, 04:23 PM)
players are going to start looking for dice bonuses for having ergonomic grips or chromed barrels....

Personalized grip gives a -1 to recoil compensation. nyahnyah.gif

This is what I get for posting without perusing my book first. Of course, I loaned it to one of my players in hopes of making him a GM in the near future....
HullBreach
QUOTE (Spike)
This is what I get for posting without perusing my book first. Of course, I loaned it to one of my players in hopes of making him a GM in the near future....

This is why I love the PDF & Book bundles that Battlecorps do. I can loan my books to players, and I still have my electronic copies for reference.

I've liked the PDF's so much Im planning on replacing my dead laptop: http://heavyangel.com/?page_id=4

with a tablet PC. I've also started buying some of my fiction books in PDF format as well.
HullBreach
Did another small content push tonight, including kits to convert Remington 990 shotguns into an underbarrel "masterkey" type shotgun. It can be seen here:
http://heavyangel.com/?page_id=62
Kyoto Kid
...put this at the top of my Bookmarks list. Wonderfully fun site. Gotta get a me a 12 pack of Distraction in a Can.

HA gear may just show up in my next campaign.
HullBreach
Just out of curiousity, would anyone be interested in seeing kits for mounting tasers as sub-weapons to a long-arm?
nezumi
I think that would be awesome. I'd never considered it, but in a world where security forces need to be able to quickly choose between subduing and killing a target, an underbarrel mounted taser would certainly be safer to try and use than switching mags from standard to gel rounds.
ThreeGee
You've just highlighted a more pervasive bastardization of the English language. "They" is a plural pronoun, not singular neuter

And this is one of most pervasive urban myths around.

Chaucer, Shakespeare, William Thackeray, Jane austen and Mark Twain all used they and them as singular neuter pronouns.
HullBreach
QUOTE (nezumi)
I think that would be awesome. I'd never considered it, but in a world where security forces need to be able to quickly choose between subduing and killing a target, an underbarrel mounted taser would certainly be safer to try and use than switching mags from standard to gel rounds.

My thinking exactly!

By the way, does anyone else think allowing Stick-N-Shock rounds in anything smaller than a shotgun is absurd? I mean most of the projectiles used by firearms are tiny, and the amount of juice such a device could deliver (assuming it even survived firing intact) would be miniscule to the point of futillity.
nezumi
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
You've just highlighted a more pervasive bastardization of the English language. "They" is a plural pronoun, not singular neuter

And this is one of most pervasive urban myths around.

Chaucer, Shakespeare, William Thackeray, Jane austen and Mark Twain all used they and them as singular neuter pronouns.

Chaucer did not speak modern English, and his writings are considered grammatically incorrect twelve ways to tomorrow by our current standard. Shakespeare regularly made up words when he couldn't find one he liked. William Thackeray I'm not familiar with and I never recollect Jane Austen using that. Mark Twain, while skilled, relied heavily on backwaters, colloquial speech in his writing, and I wouldn't recommend his work as an English primer.

It isn't an urban myth because the majority of organizations whose sole purpose is to determine what the rules of use are have said that 'they' is always plural. Break open your MLA book if you don't agree.
fistandantilus4.0
Very strange thread jack ya got there. Back to topic... before 'they' get unruly biggrin.gif
ThreeGee
Break open your MLA book if you don't agree.

The MLA is an american organisation and therefore not to be trusted when it comes to usage of the English language.

the majority of organizations whose sole purpose is to determine what the rules of use are have said that 'they' is always plural.

There are no organisations that have the right to determine the usage of English. English is a colloquial language, it's meaning determined by use rather than by committee.

Them and they have been used, colloquially, as singular pronouns for almost as long as English has existed, longer than the USA has existed and far longer than the USA has attempted to codify it.
fistandantilus4.0
Again, wrong topic
HullBreach
To put us back on topic, I am also working up some detailed rules for door breaching by a variety of means. This will include the construction of 'doorbuster' charges, using breaching loads from a shotgun, and even some low-tech stuff like mauls and hammers.

As of right now the only tool of this sort we have rules on is a chisel, so I'm totally open to suggestions on how to work this!
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (HullBreach)
using breaching loads from a shotgun,

That would be cool
HullBreach
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
That would be cool

Honestly Im surprised more games don't include stuff like this. I lucked out while I was in the Marines and got to go through some CQB training (this was well more advanced than the standard MOUT course) and I can honestly say the better part of half of our instruction time was on dealing with doors, windows, and other portals.
fistandantilus4.0
And those nifty charges that blow through walls to make your own doors?
(I love watching Future Weapons) cyber.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (HullBreach @ Mar 7 2007, 01:49 PM)
using breaching loads from a shotgun,

That would be cool

...fired from a Gong 10 Gauge Whippet by a Troll Sammie. Even cooler
X-Kalibur
Now we just need translated rules for the "super machine guns" from Fields of Fire I think? Probably reprinted in Cannon Companion. You know, the ones that fire short bursts of 6 rounds? Damn I wish I had my books right now.
HullBreach
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Now we just need translated rules for the "super machine guns" from Fields of Fire I think? Probably reprinted in Cannon Companion. You know, the ones that fire short bursts of 6 rounds? Damn I wish I had my books right now.

This is one thing that always bugged me about the RAW of Shadowrun, and the only game I've ever seen get it anywhere near right was CP2020.

At the same time though, I understand the need for a simplified system for speed-of-play purposes.

Rate of fire is a huge aspect of any weapon, including semi-automatics! Great example, IRL I can rip off 5 aimed shots with my Beretta 92 in the time it takes me to put 3 down range with my Baby Eagle in .45acp.

Unfortunately, theres just not a good way to deal with this for speed-of-play purposes, short of building some software to run the numbers for you.

Im hoping to see the return of supermachineguns as well, and will probobly update the MAC-11 on my site to reflect its status as a very high rate of fire weapon if they are included in Arsenal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012