Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardened Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
Question that applies both hardened armor and weapon immunity. When applying damage do you use full damage value if hardened armor total is exceeded or do you only apply damage that exceeds the armor value?

Recent example withering hail of gunfire fails to affect shedim, one adept with monowhip tears them to peices.
domino10
i thought that you had to roll to see if the armor takes the hit or not and then dependant on the number of hits that you get and the power of the weapon depends on how much damage you take
Prime Mover
Example; Sprits force is 7 its hardened armor against weapons is 14

Runner #1 uses full auto attack based at 5dv and gets 4 succes's total of 9dv not enough to get through sprits immunity.

Runner #2 used mono whip base 9dv and gets 5 succes's total of 14dv this goes through spirits hardened armor rating .....so does sprit then resist only 2 pnts that went over his immunity or whole 14? The former seems to make more sense and make things with hardened armor all but immune to small arms....makes sense to me...you?
Demerzel
If it gets past the armor it gets past the armor entirely. Then you roll bod + Armor to see how it is reduced (So some of the power will be reduced by the armor)

To put it another way.
I think you're asking if the armor value is directly subtracted from the Damage Value of the incoming attack. The answer is no. The DV is reduced not by the full armor value but by the hits on a body + Armor test.
Jack Kain
Ok here's how it works, you count the base DV of the weapon, the number of successful hits.

Modified DV equals base DV of weapon + number of net hits. (AP will reduce the armor rating)

The armor resist roll is done second. So if you have a monowhip Base DV 8 with its AP of -4. It will always overcome harden armor of 12 or less.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Prime Mover)
Runner #2 used mono whip base 9dv and gets 5 succes's total of 14dv this goes through spirits hardened armor rating .....so does sprit then resist only 2 pnts that went over his immunity or whole 14?

14DV does not exceed 14 Hardened armor, so I think you've just made a bit of a mistake there, but the DV has to exceed not equal the armor rating to get through.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Modified DV equals base DV of weapon + AP + number of net hits.

Not quite. The Modified DV is Base DV of weapon + number of net hits.
The Modified armor rating is the Base Armor Rating + AP.

It is + AP Because negative AP is a good thing. Also the Modified Armor rating is the number of dice they add to their body for the damage resistance test
Prime Mover
Guess thing that got me mechanics of damage, guy gets one sucess over hardened armor value kills it outright, guy gets one sucess under armor value doesnt even scratch it just seems like large gap in damage as opposed to stepping it based on what would get past hardened armor value.
Demerzel
Well, getting a Modified DV of 15 against a Force 7 Shedim, means they roll 21 + The body of the occupied host (Say 3) for 24 dice. That's from 6 to 9 damage reduced, meaning not really killed outright.

Also that Shedim is rolling 14ish Dice to defend against the monowhip, so getting 5 net hits is a hell of a thing.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Well, getting a Modified DV of 15 against a Force 7 Shedim, means they roll 21 + The body of the occupied host (Say 3) for 24 dice. That's from 6 to 9 damage reduced, meaning not really killed outright.

Also that Shedim is rolling 14ish Dice to defend against the monowhip, so getting 5 net hits is a hell of a thing.

Ok get dodge dice for shedim 14 for reaction. Damage resistance body 7 + host 3 =10 not 24. unless counting immunity ability as real armor rating in which case could add another 14 but didnt think it worked that way???
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 7 2007, 11:00 AM)
Guess thing that got me mechanics of damage, guy gets one sucess over hardened armor value kills it outright, guy gets one sucess under armor value doesnt even scratch it just seems like large gap in damage as opposed to stepping it based on what would get past hardened armor value.

Remember with normal armor the damage is reduced to stun, if it doesn't exceed the armor value. Think of it this way the weapon either has enough force pierce the armor and maintain momentum for damage or it doesn't. Its a threshold like blowing to much air into the balloon they tend to pop explosively not rip and slowly leak air.

You also have the complication because things like body and bone augmentation effect damage resist you'd have to either include them in the calculation. (which makes no sense either) Or roll applicable armor separately.

If the modified DV of the weapon does not exceed the the armor value. (AP is applicable) the damage is reduced to stun. If its harden armor it is totally negated.

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 7 2007, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Mar 7 2007, 12:03 PM)
Well, getting a Modified DV of 15 against a Force 7 Shedim, means they roll 21 + The body of the occupied host (Say 3) for 24 dice.  That's from 6 to 9 damage reduced, meaning not really killed outright.

Ok get dodge dice for shedim 14 for reaction. Damage resistance body 7 + host 3 =10 not 24. unless counting immunity ability as real armor rating in which case could add another 14 but didnt think it worked that way???

He was counting the total damage resistance not wether or not the harden armor proved effective in negating the attack. He thought you meant the target was killed outright not the harden armor's effectiveness.
Jack Kain
Double Post Delete
Demerzel
QUOTE (Prime Mover)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Mar 7 2007, 12:03 PM)
Well, getting a Modified DV of 15 against a Force 7 Shedim, means they roll 21 + The body of the occupied host (Say 3) for 24 dice.  That's from 6 to 9 damage reduced, meaning not really killed outright.

For the dodge:
The Shedim have skill = force so 7 and Reaction = force + Body attribute, so 14+ then penalties like reach etc.

For Damage Resistance:
The hardened armor is still armor, even if the DV exceeds the armor rating, and damage resistance is Body (7 + Host body) + Armor (14).

ItNW is handled by giving the creature hardened armor, and hardened armor is still armor, but better.

Regular armor means if the DV does not exceed Armor then it changes to stun. Hardened Armor means if the DV does not exceed armor then it is negated.
Prime Mover
So assumeing you mean immunity is to be treated as "real" armor rating?
Dread Polack
The same thing came up in our campaign when one of us was shooting his sniper rifle with EXEX rounds at a Banshee. The sniper has base 10 damage, AP -5 and the Banshee had armor 18. After a lot of digging, we learned that when comparing damage to hardened armor (or for figuring out whether you do stun or physical damage with a lethal attack against an armored foe):

Compare modified damage to modified armor.

That is, compare [base damage+hits] to [base armor value - armor penetration value].

With a modified armor of 13, he only needed 4 hits to damage the banshee. He didn't get it with every shot, but he was able to blow bits off the bashee with his rifle. A Typical damage reduction test on a banshee (body 20) is 12, so he managed to knock 2 boxes off it's 18 with a successful hit.

Dread Polack
Demerzel
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
That is, compare [base damage+hits] to [base armor value - armor penetration value].

That should be [base armor value + armor penetration value]

Negative AP is a good thing.

And, yes, hardened armor confered by the immunity power is to be treated as real armor, in fact as real hardened armor. ItNW = Immunity to Normal Weapons.
fool
one thing that seems to be missing in here is that it is mnodified damage. Now in the sr3 rules it was unmodified by burst fire, int he new rules, it doesn't say that. That means that the guy throwing a lead hose is going to get through most harderned armor. Of course I soculd be missing that opint in the bbb
Demerzel
There is a place in the Core book that says burst modifiers don't apply when comparing to armor. If someone else doesn't I'll get you a page number when I get home.
DireRadiant
p, 143

"Note that this DV modifi er does not apply when comparing
the DV to the armor rating."
djinni
QUOTE (Prime Mover)
Example; Sprits force is 7 its hardened armor against weapons is 14

Runner #1 uses full auto attack based at 5dv and gets 4 succes's total of 9dv not enough to get through sprits immunity.

as long as he's not using APDS ammo we are fine here
Runner #2 used mono whip base 9dv and gets 5 succes's total of 14dv this goes through spirits hardened armor rating

with the -4AP mod your DV of 14 versus the Armor rating of 10, but now...what if he's wearing an armored jacket? hardened armor of 22?
Demerzel
QUOTE (djinni @ Mar 7 2007, 07:47 PM)
what if he's wearing an armored jacket? hardened armor of 22?

It is far from clear what happens when you try to mix hardened armor with regular armor.

I've asked the question straight out and only got a few interested replies, with I don't knows, or suggested house rules.

FrankTrollman is pretty adamantly against any sort of armor working with ItNW. Basically RAW has no rules that describe what to do so he has said they should not stack in any way whatsoever. Being a freelancer might give his opinion some merit.

There is some sort of precident where helmets and shields have +x/+y to armor, butu what happens whan you're adding regular armor to hardened armor. And when you compare built in armor like Armor spell, Orthoskin, Bone lacing then RAW says it is cumulative.

The way I handle it is if you have x hardened armor due to something like ItNW and y regular armor then it sort of stacks.

If the modified DV is less than x the damage is negated, if the the modified DV is > x but < (x + y) then P turns to S. You add (x + y) to your body for resistance tests.

Now the hard question is does AP apply to x, y, or both? Personally I apply it to the hardened, but that's just me.
ludomastro
I just re-read the combat section and can't find any mention of hardened armor. What am i missing?
Demerzel
What are you missing? The index. p345, the Entery labeled "Hardened Armor power"

It's a critter power. SR4 p288. In previous editions vehicle armor was considered Hardened.
ludomastro
Thanks! I am not sure why I missed that.
Garrowolf
I actually mix hardened armor and regular armor all the time in my games. I use the bitch format to note it.

B/I(H) Ballistic / Impact (Hardened)

(you I know there is no T)

so a combat vest could have 3/1(3). If you hit it with something with 3 or less base dv then nothing happens. Above that you would add the Hardened to the B or the I depending on the attack. So someone with a knife doing only 3 can be safely ignored. After that you roll as normal.

It's pretty simple.
FrankTrollman
I just noticed that my name was invoked. Sorry, my name-sense must be weakening because that's like a day ago.

Anyway, Hardened Armor is weird stuff. The more of it you have, the less likely you are to be injured and not killed. Indeed, at the limit of very high hardened armor ratings (say 24+) there is no purpose to be served in even owning a medkit as any weapon that can hurt you at all will kill you.

This is because the minimum DV that can hurt you increases by 1 for every point of hardened armor you possess, but against any weapon that might harm you each point of hardened armor is only worth 1 damage resistance die. So for every 3 points of hardened armor you possess, the minimum attack you care about goes up by three and the damage you actually take from such an attack goes down by only 1. If you've got a 24 point hardened armor shield you ignore the vast majority of weapon attacks (anything with a DV of 1-24). But if you actually get hit with the DV 25 weapon that might damage you, the hardened armor will only reduce that to 17 DV physical - so you're pretty much just dead right off.

---

Hardened Armor and Regular Armor don't add together for their particular checks. Wearing an armored jacket does not increase the minimum DV needed to make you care if you happen to be Destro, and having hardened cyberlimbs doesn't increase the DV that an armored jacket will convert to stun. But if for some reason you have both hardened and regular armor you do add both to your damage resistance roll.

It is difficult to find armor that stacks. It is no accident that the 4th edition "Armored Jacket" has the values that the Jacket + Form Fitting Body Armor + Forearm Guards combination gave you in previous editions. But there are still pieces of equipment that grant such bonuses - Orthoskin for example.

And if you do get Armor and Hardened Armor remember that they are different totals. Armor converts Physical to Stun unless the DV exceeds the Armor value. Not the "Armor + Hardened Armor value" just the Armor. Hardened Armor negates all damage if the DV does not exceed the Hardened Armor value. Again, not the "Armor + Hardened Armor value" just the Hardened Armor.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012