Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short Shadowrun Fiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
knasser
Still failing repeatedly to get anything accepted and published, so I thought I might as well post another thing here. It's a short piece in the Shadowrun setting. A triptych, really.

The direct link is here and my full site is here as usual. wink.gif

Comments and constructive criticism are very welcome. Please keep in mind that it's about an hour and a half's work and isn't meant to be an epic novel but I really hope people like it.

-K.
PBTHHHHT
off the top of my head, spelling mistake on page 2, close to the bottom, replace 'taught' with --taut--.
knasser
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
off the top of my head, spelling mistake on page 2, close to the bottom, replace 'taught' with --taut--.

Hmmm. Well, I suppose that's feedback. I'm normally pretty good on spelling and grammar. :-/

Thanks for pointing it out. I've amended and uploaded again.

Cheers,

-K.
imperialus
very nice. I like how you discribed the skillwires in praticular. Also amusing how the runners were standing around arguing about whether or not they were going to rob the joint or be professionals and then looted her cyber. You can tell those guys were the PC's grinbig.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 10 2007, 11:08 PM)
Comments and constructive criticism are very welcome.

Hrm.

The story is well-written... but.

The description of the skillwire system is... strange.
Skillsofts are skill memories, including motor ones in the case of activesofts.
So you don't order the skillwires and they don't puppet you around - you just suddenly know things and use them.

It would be the deep alienation coming from the fact that you do things you never learned to do, having 'memories' that are not your own, causing psychological problems.
(Arguably, that's actually worse than loosing control of your body - you are partially loosing your very identity.)
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 10 2007, 11:08 PM)
Comments and constructive criticism are very welcome.

Hrm.

The story is well-written... but.

The description of the skillwire system is... strange.
Skillsofts are skill memories, including motor ones.
So you don't order the skillwires and they don't puppet you around - you just suddenly know things and use them.

It would be the deep alienation coming from the fact that you do things you never learned to do, having 'memories' that are not your own, causing psychological problems.
(Arguably, that's actually worse than loosing control of your body - you are partially loosing your very identity.)

Thank you, re: writing.

Partly where this story came from (other than the obvious source that Imperialis has spotted), was thinking about how skillwires actually work in Shadowrun.

I can sort of see how the memory based skillwire system would work. And it would be a good source of alienation in a story, you are definitely right about that. Suddenly you remember how to do something that you never learnt.

But in that case, then I see less need for skill wires to be lain throughout and over the normal nervous system which is how I remember them being described originally. And in fact, the way they are described in the BBB:
QUOTE (SR4 @ pg335)
Skillwires are a system of neuromuscular
controllers placed alongside the body’s natural nervous
system to override muscular movement. Skillwire systems
allow the use of activesofts (see p. 320) with a rating up to
the skillwire rating.

The way that I saw it was that the skillwires had the smarts to perform whatever physical skill you loaded up and ran, but that this was accomplished not by suddenly making you remember how to do something, but by doing it for you. That's why the need for invasive implants throughout the body. I also saw that as being the more realistic tech option too.

Of course if you're going to hand control over to a piece of software you need some means of interacting with it, setting limits, priorities, etc. After all, it's no good suddenly just turning into a killing machine if the software isn't clear on who are your enemies and who are your friends. Hence things like target selection. I will say that I was trying to portray the very best (rating 4) combat activesofts, however. Hence they are good.

@Imperialis Yes - you spotted the PCs. I guess the whole story could be a parable about GMs who create an interesting NPC for the players to cross paths with, only to see the NPC gunned down without getting a single word of dialogue out. sarcastic.gif
Jaid
also, you've got bear instead of beard (i think)

and just before the picture of the eye, you got alder instead of adler nyahnyah.gif

anyways, now i'm done nitpicking your spelling, i like it. it's fairly good. i do tend to agree that skillwires give you the knowledge, not just puppet you around, but hey, maybe SK decided to do a little field testing for some new 'ware. possibly a P-fix (probably not BTL though) integrated into skillwires, as an attempt to allow expert chipjack effects at reduced cost.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (knasser)
@Imperialis Yes - you spotted the PCs. I guess the whole story could be a parable about GMs who create an interesting NPC for the players to cross paths with, only to see the NPC gunned down without getting a single word of dialogue out. sarcastic.gif

Death to the PCs! Oh wait... indifferent.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
Partly where this story came from (other than the obvious source that Imperialis has spotted), was thinking about how skillwires actually work in Shadowrun.

I know that quote, which is a problem that's carried over to SR4.

Here's the in-depth explanation how skillsofts work in SR4:
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 320, Skillsofts)
A skillsoft program is a programmed/recorded skill— as in, a person’s knowledge and memory (including “muscle memory”). When used in conjunction with the proper hardware or cyberware, skillsofts allow users to know and do things they never otherwise learned. When a skill test is called for, the character may use the skillsoft rating in place of an appropriate skill. If the character already possesses the skill, use whichever rating is higher.

Especially the latter part clears up any 'puppet' issue.
knasser
QUOTE (Jaid)
also, you've got bear instead of beard (i think)

and just before the picture of the eye, you got alder instead of adler nyahnyah.gif

anyways, now i'm done nitpicking your spelling, i like it. it's fairly good. i do tend to agree that skillwires give you the knowledge, not just puppet you around, but hey, maybe SK decided to do a little field testing for some new 'ware. possibly a P-fix (probably not BTL though) integrated into skillwires, as an attempt to allow expert chipjack effects at reduced cost.

Well, the "Alder" is when the surgeon calls her in and he could very easily have got her name wrong. And as to the runner with the narrow bear... well you know what PCs are like. It's all, "you know what would be really neat to take on a run, in case we meet some guards? A bear. Yeah. And maybe it could shoot laser beams from its eyes! That would be awesome!"

Yeah, okay. I've amended both the glitches and re-uploaded now.

So three spelling mistakes and a controversy over how skillwires work. I've had far worse criticism in the past, so I must be doing something right. smile.gif

Thanks for your comments.

-K.
knasser
QUOTE (knasser)

I know that quote, which is a c&p-problem that's carried over to SR4.

Here's the in-depth explanation how skillsofts work in SR4:
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 320, Skillsofts)
A skillsoft program is a programmed/recorded skill— as in, a person’s knowledge and memory (including “muscle memory”). When used in conjunction with the proper hardware or cyberware, skillsofts allow users to know and do things they never otherwise learned. When a skill test is called for, the character may use the skillsoft rating in place of an appropriate skill. If the character already possesses the skill, use whichever rating is higher.

Especially the latter part clears up any 'puppet' issue.

So it was portrayed differently in earlier editions. I knew that's how I remembered it. And I don't get how, if it's memory based, you really need the wires trailing through the body, or are you saying that the part I quoted should actually be discarded?

Not arguing for the sake of it. A memory appearing seams a bit more sci-fi than a system that can run a combat program to guide the body. With other examples of Sr2070 tech, that should be possible, but memory implantation seems a bit more hand-waved. The part under skillwires is very explicit and I like it.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
So it was portrayed differently in earlier editions. I knew that's how I remembered it. And I don't get how, if it's memory based, you really need the wires trailing through the body, or are you saying that the part I quoted should actually be discarded?

Because SR-Tech does not make perfect sense. wink.gif
Honestly, the SR4 description is pretty close to the classic Skillwire System in SR1.
On contrast, Skillwire Plus from ShadowTech SR1 was just a headware system.

QUOTE (knasser)
A memory appearing seams a bit more sci-fi than a system that can run a combat program to guide the body. With other examples of Sr2070 tech, that should be possible, but memory implantation seems a bit more hand-waved.

Actually - no.
Memory Implantation/Wiping/Modification is 2060 tech, as detailed in the Cannon Compendium - without special implants like skillwires or persona-fix chips.

QUOTE (knasser)
The part under skillwires is very explicit and I like it.

Hey, it's your story - and just my constructive criticism. nyahnyah.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 10 2007, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (knasser)
The part under skillwires is very explicit and I like it.

Hey, it's your story - and just my constructive criticism. nyahnyah.gif

Hey, no problem. I appreciate you taking the time to post. After I checked the logs on my site to see that I'd had over a hundred downloads of the short adventure that I wrote, and got four comments on it (thanks, Fist and others), I appreciate anyone letting me know what they think of my stuff.

And anyway, if I'm misleading anyone with my interpretation of the skillwire system (which cut or paste error in the BBB or not, is in there nyahnyah.gif ), it's your duty to point it out in this thread and save others from following my wayward path. wink.gif

Cheers,

-K.
PBTHHHHT
Well, the story was okay, it gives the feel of how brutal some aspects of life is in 2070 in terms of being gunned down and then having pieces of you cut out by those evil runners. I enjoyed how you tried to play up of how the characters have family and career/life promises. Still, I need to read it closely again to really nitpick, I mainly skimmed it over.
ludomastro
Well done, sir. I enjoyed the piece.
Ravor
*thumbs up*
Tomothy
I really liked it. Fun to read and I like your interpretation of the tech.

Also, I found another mispelling: deselecting p1 nyahnyah.gif
knasser

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate the comments.

It started off as me just descriptive writing and then grew into a mini-story. I thought it would be nice to see things from the other side. Particularly the sort of PCs that pick through their fallen opponents belongings and try to steal their cyberware. wink.gif

I've written a longer and more serious story which I submitted to the Shadowrun website. Am hoping to see it up there sometime.

Cheers,

-K.
Eugene
Fun snapshot! Poor, poor NPC. Nasty bit at the end, too.
Spike
Barring exceptional stylistic need, its really poor form to put a proper name right after itself.

"Lara Adler' Lara Adler said...

is really really ugly. She said works fine here, we know who is talking.

Other than that, not too bad.
knasser
QUOTE (Eugene)
Fun snapshot! Poor, poor NPC. Nasty bit at the end, too.

Well, it is Shadowrun. wink.gif

QUOTE (Spike)
Barring exceptional stylistic need, its really poor form to put a proper name right after itself. 

"Lara Adler' Lara Adler said...

is really really ugly. She said works fine here, we know who is talking.

Other than that, not too bad.

Thank you. The line you quoted is actually "'Lara Adler,' said Lara Adler." It was deliberate, really. I like playing off expectations and word play and it is meant to amuse with its faux-cumbersomeness. But perhaps that didn't come off.

Cheers all. The feedback is motivating me to do something else. I think another mini-adventure might be in the works.

-K.
ornot
Me likey.

Nice flavour and well written (IMHO).
Meriss
I keep meaning to post here goes. Loved it, more please! Seriously captured the feel of our hyper modern dystopia. That's good cyber punk cyber.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Like most, really liked the skill wire description. It was ver easy to visualize the way you wrote it.I liekd the cyber eyes too and the over all day-in-the-life-of for a corper. had that nice SR nastyness just below the surface. interesting seeing the progression of sweet little Lara.

Also, random, but I thought the little eye pic between sections was a nice touch.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Like most, really liked the skill wire description. It was ver easy to visualize the way you wrote it.

See, knasser?
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 27 2007, 05:05 AM)
Like most, really liked the skill wire description. It was ver easy to visualize the way you wrote it.

See, knasser?

rotfl.gif

I'll see if I can whip up some more fiction. Maybe something of a magical bent, this time.
ornot
I look forward to new stuff with bated breath.
Gargs454
Hey Knasser, sorry I didn't post sooner, but I just read your story today.

Anyway, the story itself is really good, but there are some areas where you could really improve on the writing in my opinion.

First, you need to be careful with your grammar. At the bottom of page three for instance, you have ""... viewing the scene with through the linked gunsight She saw four figures there, arguing." Obviously, you should be dropping "with" and lose the capital S on She. There were other parts where the sentences just seemed to run on, or where a comma could have been helpful. Yes this is nitpicking.

Additionally, add more description and take away the adverbs.

For example:

"Thank you," replied the secretary program pleasantly, "please take a seat and the surgeon will be with you in a few minutes."

could be changed to:

Thank you," replied the blonde image as a soft smile crept across her face, "the surgeon will be with you in a few minutes."

Both say the same thing, but the second gives a better description of the scene. Trust your writing to let the reader know that the program is being pleasant without saying it explicitly. In other words, show us, don't tell us.

Another example:

"Silently, she ran down the corridor, a H&K SMG in her left hand."

could be changed to:

She crept down the corridor, moving on the balls of her feet, the powerful submachine gun the company issued her poised to eliminate her prey.

This again tells us she's moving silently and also describes the gun a little better for those who don't know what an H&K SMG is.

By the way, my descriptions are not meant to be the best anyone could come up with, but are just quick examples that can surely be improved upon.

Finally, in adding to the show us don't tell us theme. I really do not have much of an idea as to what Lara looks like other than she had blue eyes which she changed to yellow with her cybereyes. It doesn't take long to throw in a quick description, but things like hair color, height, even skin tone, etc., can go a long way.

All of this being said, keep in mind that the story itself is still great. I do not mean to suggest otherwise since I did enjoy the story. I'm just trying to help you improve on the writing in order to help you get published is all.
WhiskeyMac
I'd say besides what others have said about grammar, I enjoyed your story very much. Very interesting way of having the spirit appear and also the description of the skillwires. All in all, I'd give you a thumbs up. Real good Knasser. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012