Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR needs a Skul [sic] Gun!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Can we get a Skull Gun, (aka Skul [sic] Gun) which is what Gunther Hermann wanted in Deus Ex?

Gunther was complaining about how a punk was able to double tap him with a .22 before he could draw his assault rifle and blow said punk away. He says, "if I could kill by thought, it would be better." The way I see it, the Skull Gun is not just a gun mounted in the head, but rather an integrated part of an advanced smartlink system.

Whenever the character with the Skull Gun is looking at an enemy which is being tracked by his smartlink system the Skull Gun automatically fires low caliber projectiles (like a .25, I would guess, since it's coming off your head) continually at the target.

The way this would work in the rules would be that whenever you make a ranged attack utilizing your smartlink at an enemy the Skull Gun automatically makes a "free" attack on that target as well. It fires two shots in semi automatic mode during each phase in which you attack, so that whether you attacked with two bursts or one long spray of autofire the Skull Gun would be able to make two attacks. In other words, the Skull Gun acts like a semi automatic holdout with a mind of its own. The number of dice which the Skull Gun rolls for this attack is equal to its rating.

Using mental commands the user may have the Skull Gun fire at a target when he is not attacking the target in another way (for example if he were disarmed, or out of ammunition for his primary weapon) but this would require a Free Action on the part of the user, and again the Skull Gun, acting as a semi automatic holdout, would only be able to make two attacks.

Using a free action the user can also either temporarily turn off the Skull Gun or order it to hold fire. This is useful if the character wants to make multiple Take Aim actions without a hail of holdout pistol fire giving away what he is doing.

The Skull Gun uses Hold Out Pistol ranges. If a target is beyond Extreme range for a Hold Out Pistol the Skull Gun will automatically not fire on it.

Skull Gun
cost: 10,000 nuyen per level of rating
Street Index: 3 (it's rare)
Avail: [2xrating]/1 mo.
Legality: probably seriously illegal considering it's extremely vindictive nature
Magazine: 30 round internal magazine which is loaded with hold-out pistol ammo
Damage: 4L holdout pistol
Conceal: 5
Essence Cost: .5
**requires a Smartlink to function
Kagetenshi
Before you can propose a skul gun, you first need to stat out Gunther Hermann.

And then maybe take care of the flatlander woman.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Before you can propose a skul gun, you first need to stat out Gunther Hermann.

And then maybe take care of the flatlander woman.

~J

Hmm. I'm hampered by my lack of SR sourcebooks out here, but I might have a PDF of Man and Machine on my laptop.
nezumi
I actually designed a 'skul gun' based on the one in Diamond Age.

I didn't want to put anything as big as even a .22. Ultimately, the head is already heavy and tenuously balanced on the neck, and those sorts of bullets would take a lot of space. I can't imagine attaching a gun of any size to my head, firing it, and expecting anything less than a wicked headache. I also didn't hook it up so it 'automatically fires', and it doesn't require a smartlink. It would require something other than a trigger, obviously (voice control or smartlink would be fine), but it's automatically 'aimed' at whatever the fellow is looking at.

Head Pop Gun
This is a small pellet gun, installed just under the scalp. It can hold up to 60 pellets and a small canister of compressed air. Before use, it can only be spotted when the head is uncovered, using a successful perception (cool.gif check. During use it makes a small sound as the compressed air escapes, which requires a test with a TN of 6 to notice. The metal pellets cause 4L damage and use Light Pistol ranges. They can accept no modifications, however due to their intuitive placement, effectively have a Laser Sight for the purpose of determining target numbers. The pop gun is Single Shot and causes no recoil. It requires no special skills to use, instead allowing the user to default to Quickness at no penalty.

Essence Avail. Cost St. Index Legal
Head Pop Gun .2 4/24 hours 2,000¥ 1 4P-N
LordHaHa
Since we're on a Deus Ex line of thought here, anyone interested in a dikoted Dragon's Tooth NEB? biggrin.gif

*runs*
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (LordHaHa)
Since we're on a Deus Ex line of thought here, anyone interested in a dikoted Dragon's Tooth NEB? biggrin.gif

*runs*

Aha, but you wouldn't be able to Dikote a NEB because it's "forged on command" by the nanites. The Dikote wouldn't have anything to remain attached to when you deactivated the sword.
Garrowolf
Well there is the eye gun in SR3. Why not use that? Just change the location.

I have just started playing Deus Ex myself. It is alot of fun. It is giving me some interesting ideas. I am thinking about using some of the logic of having cyberware be somewhat exclusive to each other. Basically getting rid of the essence mechanic and put the limits in the ware itself. You could become fast and jump high but not super strong because the systems would work against each other or something like that. I'm going to work on this idea a bit.
nezumi
I would be very interested in seeing that gracefully done (without each item having its own list of what is incompatible).
Inu
Is the gun internal or external? If internal, you have three problems: space, gas and heat. Regular weapons lose a lot of heat by expelling waste gas and cartridges upon firing. Obviously not an option with internal guns. Heat is your biggest problem if you plan on firing it constantly. Brains don't deal well with hot things right next to them.

As for the NEB, if nanites are fast enough to create a whole blade instantly, there's no reason they can't dikote it at the same time! I'd advise against nanites working so fast, though, because that would put you into Diamond Age territory instantly -- IE, it's a world-changing technology.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Inu)
I'd advise against nanites working so fast, though, because that would put you into Diamond Age territory instantly -- IE, it's a world-changing technology.

In Deus Ex, it doesn't behave so much as the blade created from raw materials instantly, more like it's a specialized nanite hive and the swarm becomes the blade on command.

Even if it was Diamond Age proof of concept, the tale includes a massive crash either days or at most two months after the prototype is completed and later versions based on the same idea (the ones in Invisible War) seem to completely lack that insta-build feature and are just swords with a nanite monitored cutting edge.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Inu)
Is the gun internal or external? If internal, you have three problems: space, gas and heat. Regular weapons lose a lot of heat by expelling waste gas and cartridges upon firing. Obviously not an option with internal guns. Heat is your biggest problem if you plan on firing it constantly. Brains don't deal well with hot things right next to them.

As for the NEB, if nanites are fast enough to create a whole blade instantly, there's no reason they can't dikote it at the same time! I'd advise against nanites working so fast, though, because that would put you into Diamond Age territory instantly -- IE, it's a world-changing technology.

Well, dikote actually just makes things sharper, right? I'd argue that a nanoblade would be close enough to being monomolecular that it could be considered to be *effectively* if not literally dikoted.
Kagetenshi
Stronger, too, according to the rules.

~J
nezumi
QUOTE (Inu)

It is internal. In my version, at least, it relies on compressed air, and fires at most SS. Heat is greatly reduced, gas is vented only through the muzzle, but space is still a concern.
Wounded Ronin
Well, if you're concerned about heat and you want to be more scientically correct you could always say that it also requires a Gunther Hermann cyberskull so that the metals and polymers can absorb the heat and not fry your brain like some pate de cervelle bubbling away on a griddle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012