Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actively counterspelling range
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eleazar
Ok, I am actively counterspelling which means I can counterspell spells I am unaware of. This also extends to my compadres. How far away can they get before they don't get counterspelling dice? I looked through the book and I couldn't find anything. Without active counterspelling I am rather sure you have to have LOS, but with it LOS is no longer necessary. Heck, you don't even have to be aware of the spell. There has to be a range restriction somewhere, is it the same as the spirit link magic*100? I highly doubt it was the developers intent to allow counterspelling overseas from North America to England.
Jack Kain
Your friend has to be within line of sight not the magician casting the spell at him. As long as they are close enough to stab them in the back with manabolt there close enough for counterspelling.
Eleazar
Yes, but is there a range for this. Also, is this just your opinion and discretion or is there somewhere in the rules. I don't understand what your first sentence is replying to. I don't remember saying anything like that.

Manabolt is an LOS range spell. By stab them in the back I am guessing you mean within touch range. I definitely know touch range is against the intent of the rules. Could you maybe clarify what you are saying a bit?

Edit
DOH, I just posted as my friend. He has his account setup as auto login. That should be my name above this post.
Demerzel
The only rule I'm aware of is LOS. So I think he's meaning if you could get them with a manabolt you can get cover them with counterspelling.

Guye Noir
QUOTE (azrael_ven @ Mar 20 2007, 05:48 PM)
Manabolt is an LOS range spell. By stab them in the back I am guessing you mean within touch range. I definitely know touch range is against the intent of the rules. Could you maybe clarify what you are saying a bit?

I'm pretty sure he meant it in a purely metaphorical sense. "A protected character must also stay within the magician’s line of sight in order for Counterspelling to be used." (SR4 p. 175) There is no range limit on counterspelling other than LOS, just like the spell manabolt. You have to be able to see the person you're protecting, just like manabolt.
TheOOB
Well, even with no obstructions, you can only clearly see someone at a fairly short distance, I mean once you start pushing 100+ meters it gets really hard to see a target without technilogical aid and you can't cast spells, or counterspell, through technological devices.

Which brings a question, if you have a low-tech vision enhancer, say binoculars, could you cast a spell through them? You are not acually seeing the direct image with your eyes, but you are still getting an analog image created by bending light as opposed to a digitally reproduced image.
WhiskeyMac
If you use optical vision enhancers, such as optical binoculars or mage sight goggles, that do not use any electronics to enhance the image then it is ok. If you are using electronic vision enhancers you have to have paid for it with essence, in the case of cybereyes.
dionysus
QUOTE (TheOOB)
Well, even with no obstructions, you can only clearly see someone at a fairly short distance, I mean once you start pushing 100+ meters it gets really hard to see a target without technilogical aid and you can't cast spells, or counterspell, through technological devices.
Which brings a question, if you have a low-tech vision enhancer, say binoculars, could you cast a spell through them? You are not acually seeing the direct image with your eyes, but you are still getting an analog image created by bending light as opposed to a digitally reproduced image.

Just for clarification:
QUOTE (SR4 @ p195)
For most spells the range is line of sight.  If the caster can see the target, regardless of distance, it can be affected
QUOTE (SR4 @ p173)
In some cases the caster may need to make a Perception Test to determine if a given target can be seen well enough to target with a spell

The perception test modifier table does have a -3 penalty for "object is far away," is this the mechanic you use?
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Guye Noir)
QUOTE (azrael_ven @ Mar 20 2007, 05:48 PM)

I'm pretty sure he meant it in a purely metaphorical sense. "A protected character must also stay within the magician’s line of sight in order for Counterspelling to be used." (SR4 p. 175) There is no range limit on counterspelling other than LOS, just like the spell manabolt. You have to be able to see the person you're protecting, just like manabolt.

Yes I meant in a metaphorical sense, as long as there close enough to target them with a spell there close enough for counterspelling
Eleazar
So then to clarify. Active counterspelling works by the counterspelling magician actively manipulating the mana around his selected targets as long as they are in LOS of that magician.

I guess it was the unaware part that got me. It seemed to imply something other than LOS was going on here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012