Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New books - official?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Baphomet69
Hello,
I've been finding some books listed on places like Amazon.com, etc. some are supposedly already released (but not in stock...). However, I haven't been able to find any mention of these titles on shadowrunrpg.com or any other 'official' source.

The titles are:
Shadowrun Arsenal
Shadowrun Augmented
Shadowrun Emergence

Anyone here have ANY info regarding these titles?
Demerzel
They are future releases.

emergence is due next, followed by either Augmentation or Arsenal. I think it's Arsenal

Here's a good thread.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...coming+releases
Moon-Hawk
Emergence is coming out "soon". Arsenal well be out "less soon". Augmentation (or Augmented, I forget which is the official title) will be out "later".
smile.gif

Yes, they're real books, but they're not out yet. You could preorder them from Amazon, but Amazon doesn't know the release date, not even if they claim to.
the_dunner
Shadowrunrpg.com Upcoming Products list
Baphomet69
Hmm...I couldn't find that page on srrpg. Thanks for the info and the lightning fast responses, folks!

<EDIT> And I just found the obvious link up at the top of the page...er... wobble.gif
knasser

It's getting pretty silly. I've been waiting for Arsenal since last year. I want it to be good and meet the standards of the 4th ed. books released so far. But I want it to exist, too.
Moon-Hawk
A delayed book is eventually good, but a bad book is bad forever. We must have patience.

Of course, I too want a good book NOW. I want instant gratification, dammit! No wait, that's not soon enough. I want preemptive gratification!
fistandantilus4.0
SERENITY NOW!
Ancient History
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I want preemptive gratification!

Lotta guys go to therapy when they have that problem.
knasser
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
A delayed book is eventually good, but a bad book is bad forever. We must have patience.

When Arsenal was pushed back to November, I had patience. By this point, all I have is ruptered expectations.

Please, Fanpro, finish it!
2bit
Sooo, according to the published release schedule now, we should see Augmented, Arsenal, and Corporate download all between July and Sept. . . subject to change yadda yadda but thats the plan right now? All three in Q2?
Baphomet69
Wouldn't Q2 be April-June?
Grinder
That's correct.
fool
as a matter of fact it would. damn someone beat me to it. I however, will not hold my breath. Considering that arsenal was originally supposed to be released in 2nd q of 06.
I don't want preemptive gratification, I want my past to be perfect.
hobgoblin
well if both arsenal and augmentation shows up in Q2, looks like my next big rpg grab will be SR themed (i have yet to get street magic)...
2bit
oh.. I thought March was the end of the business calendar.

ok - wikipedia says it's up to the individual company.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (2bit)
oh.. I thought March was the end of the business calendar.

ok - wikipedia says it's up to the individual company.

That sounds right. Some companies might define their first quarter in March, some in January. FanPro, for example, begins Q2 of '07 sometime around February '08. wink.gif
Grinder
Or in Smarch. biggrin.gif
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Grinder)

Or in febtober
Zeitgeist
QUOTE (Grinder)

Brrr...Stupid Smarch...

I generally just look at the quarters like this:

January, February, and March are three months. Three goes into 12 4 times, therefore, Jan-March: 1Q
April-June: 2Q
July-Sept: 3Q
Oct-Dec: 4Q

I've been waiting for Unwired (seriously guys, that's the BEST name you could come up with?) since SR4 came out. I still think it should have come out first, but Arsenal and Augmented will do nicely. The former more than the latter, as gear is easier to aford than bioware/chrome. Unfortunately, I have a nasty feeling that there will be a permanent date next to Unwired of "Eventually." With my luck, it'll come out when SR5 is announced. nyahnyah.gif

Thank God my hacker has turned into a badass gunner, or I'd be hitting the limits of the hacking rules by now!
Grinder
QUOTE (Zeitgeist)
I generally just look at the quarters like this:

January, February, and March are three months. Three goes into 12 4 times, therefore, Jan-March: 1Q
April-June: 2Q
July-Sept: 3Q
Oct-Dec: 4Q

The big question is: do Wizkids & FanPro share your view? biggrin.gif
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Grinder)
The big question is: do Wizkids & FanPro share your view? biggrin.gif

God, I hope so. The KEWL POWreZ-oriented shadowrunners in my game have already abandoned us in search of games with rules they haven't beat to death yet.

Sure, I blame WotC exclusively for allowing gamers to expect a release schedule as rigorous as 3 or 4 books a month, but it has been 6+ months since we've gotten some love from FanPro. There's been like one FAQ update since Street Magic came out in September, and I just couldn't convince the gamers-that-be that SR wasn't dead.

So.... Anyone want to game in Marin, CA? We've lost our tank and mage.
Baphomet69
Marin is up north, isn't it? I'm in North Orange County.

I'm soooo looking for a game, I can't believe there are not more players in such a populated area. ##@%^%
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Baphomet69)
Marin is up north, isn't it? I'm in North Orange County.

I'm soooo looking for a game, I can't believe there are not more players in such a populated area. ##@%^%

I've noticed that the warmer the weather, the less gamers.

But don't be afraid to hunt out gaming stores and ask them if they know of any Shadowrun games that need players. Don't be surprised if you're not the first person to come in that day and ask that exact thing. That's how I found some of my previous SR players, and not the ones that bailed in absence of new releases.
TheRedRightHand
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Mar 26 2007, 01:26 PM)

Sure, I blame WotC exclusively for allowing gamers to expect a release schedule as rigorous as 3 or 4 books a month, but it has been 6+ months since we've gotten some love from FanPro.  There's been like one FAQ update since Street Magic came out in September, and I just couldn't convince the gamers-that-be that SR wasn't dead.

I'm having the same problem. We've been running a Shadowrun 4 game for the last year now, but with nothing new coming out my players are starting to get... I don't know... tired of the same old same old. Some of them also think the game is dead and Fanpro is just not announcing it in order to keep people at least somewhat interested and some small sales still going.

Already we've dropped from playing once a week to once every two weeks so we could start up a World of Darkness campaign (mainly because they have so many f'n books out that everyone can be super unique and cool.)

So needless to say I really, really hope the new books come out soon. Otherwise I think my group will be done with Shadowrun.
ornot
I don't think Shadowrun is restricted by the rules as they stand, although I would like to have more concrete and balanced rules. The matrix rules as they stand are rather weak.

But if I was at risk of having bored players it would be easy to change the setting to someplace more exotic, simply using my imagination and the many former settings books for inspiration.
TheRedRightHand
It's not the setting or the adventures, it's the lack of player options. It seems my Street Sam's always feel that they are too similar so they really want the Cyberwear book to come out, as well as the weapons book. No one really plays technomancers because they don't like them as they currently are so I really want the Technomancer books to come out so people will play them.

Really the only thing going right now is the mages/adepts and after a while people want to try something new and different.

that's why we need the new books.
knasser
QUOTE (ornot @ Mar 26 2007, 07:45 PM)
I don't think Shadowrun is restricted by the rules as they stand, although I would like to have more concrete and balanced rules. The matrix rules as they stand are rather weak.

But if I was at risk of having bored players it would be easy to change the setting to someplace more exotic, simply using my imagination and the many former settings books for inspiration.

I consider myself over the years to have become a pretty good DM/GM/Storyteller. I've played a variety of styles from action madness to really convoluted and conspiratorial Vampire: The Masquerade epics. I guess what I'm doing is establishing my credentials so that when I say that new material for Shadowrun is important, you understand that I'm not talking as someone short of imagination or subtlety. I mean, I hope several of the people here are familiar with some of my postings and material. I'm not a powergaming, munchtastic, you enter a 10'x10' room an orc is guarding a chest sort of role-player. But Shadowrun needs guns. And tanks. And sexy form-fitting body armour for our blonde, elven assassins. It needs forty different types of drone with go faster stripes for just 30 nuyen.gif extra. We need to blow things up with über bombs and outrace the shockwave in a custom T-bird. Melee needs to have more than two types of sword and a combat axe. Trolls need to do more than choose between the LMG or the Panther when they look in their wardrobe.

This is Shadowrun and no Samurai should ever, ever, get bored.

GIVE... US... ARSENAL!
Glayvin34
QUOTE (TheRedRightHand)
Already we've dropped from playing once a week to once every two weeks so we could start up a World of Darkness campaign (mainly because they have so many f'n books out that everyone can be super unique and cool.)

Wow, that's exactly what we did for the same reason. I'd like to state for the record that Mage: The Awakening is fundamentally overpowered with respect to their other WoD sub-games. But I haven't scoped out Promethean yet.

SR is undoutedly the hands-down best SciFi game, D20 Modern, Cyberpunk and a few others are fun enough to play, but SR's plot is much better and lends much more cohesiveness to any campaign. You really feel a part of the Sixth World.

But what makes systems like WoD or DnD so playable is that you can have a book for your character with tons of canon background and abilities that the other players don't see as old hat. With SR the way it is there are so few trade-offs to make unique backgrounds and abilities. The Ares Alpha is pretty much the best gun, the Chrysler-Nissan Patrol car is pretty much the best car, Hackers are better than Technomancers, and so on.

Sure those points are debateable, but in WoD, if your character dies, you think "NOW I'm going to make a Hunter in Darkness with Mother Luna Gifts that swings a two-handed axe, because that shotgun-toting Nosferatu in the Ordo Dracul was a badass, but I want to see if a Garou can be a more combat-centric character without wasting XP on blah blah blah."

If your Hacker/ Tank/ Mage dies in SR, you're pretty much making the same character if you want to accomplish the same thing for your team.

I have faith, though, SR is too awesome to die!
TheRedRightHand
Knasser is exactly right.

Shadowrunners, especially Street Sam's, are supposed to be SOTA. That's what people who play them want to be. But it is hard to be SOTA when the newest book for them is over a year old and they have never had anything new to play with.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (TheRedRightHand)

Boy howdy.
knasser
QUOTE (TheRedRightHand)

So is The Red Right Hand! biggrin.gif
ornot
I didn't mean to imply that anyone lacked imagination. It is true that if your players have been running a while they could quite easily make the optimum street sam or adept 'build', and then they'd tend to run into one another. I would also like to see a wider range of vehicles and drones. And tanks. In my position though, with no regular group and only the occasional one off game over the past year, I'm not in dire need of more books (although I will pick them up as soon as they are published).
Moon-Hawk
I'm inclined to agree. SR4 needs a new book in a way that I don't think Emergence will satisfy.
Don't get me wrong, I am excited about Emergence and I think it'll be a cool book, but I don't think it'll do much to address the problems being discussed here.
We NEED Arsenal, in a similar way to how Keanu NEEDS a computer.
knasser

Right. That does it:

It's time for a good humoured petition.

biggrin.gif

-K.
Demonseed Elite
In my opinion (and my opinion only), the release schedule is too slow. I agree with everyone here who feels that way. But, on the other hand, I look at my own writing work and realize that I couldn't really be doing more. I just got a sweet promotion at work, but that came with new responsibilities and the stress of learning new things. And that's absolutely going to take priority over my freelancing. And while the situation isn't the same for every freelancer, things come up for all of us now and then that collapse our writing time. The only thing that could really be done about it is to have more freelancers available to assist, but that's limited to how many qualified people step up to freelance.
TEKE
First of all let me say that I agree with all of you on the slowness of new sr releases. Hell I especially understand as I am also an avid sr collector and own damn near every book ever printed. I want them all so bad I even want the unprinted ones.
That aside, I'm a little dissappointed reading through some of these posts about how SR is boring becuase people keep making the same character over and over; all the sammies are the same, etc, etc. Whatever happened to characterization, background stories, personality? All of these things are what make my characters and ultimately my stories great. I don't need a bigger and better panther canon, I need a bigger and better personality.
Like I said, I want new books so badly its ridiculous, however, gms and players, help you other players stay true by encouraging new personality and character traits. Try new circles for your mages, invent cool clubs for your sams to join, do anything you can think of, thats why roleplaying is best when mixed with great imagination.
SirBedevere
I wonder what Wizkid Games thinks of FanPro's release schedule? I realise the problems FanPro have but at some point I'm sure Wizkids will ask: 'Are FanPro up to the job?. Is there enough income generated by Shadowrun sales to make it a paying proposition?'

I love Shadowrun, I've been playing it for many years, I'm starting a new campaign at the weekend and I DON'T want it to die. For me it's a very important hobby, but for Wizkids it's a business.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (TEKE)
Whatever happened to characterization, background stories, personality?  All of these things are what make my characters and ultimately my stories great.  I don't need a bigger and better panther canon, I need a bigger and better personality. 
Like I said, I want new books so badly its ridiculous, however, gms and players, help you other players stay true by encouraging new personality and character traits.  Try new circles for your mages, invent cool clubs for your sams to join, do anything you can think of, thats why roleplaying is best when mixed with great imagination.

...To this end I worked up several adepts each with distinct character and personality.

First there is my namesake KK (Martial/Gunbunny Adept) Pretty much your basic blade and athletic adept who is pretty good with twin revolvers. Kind of slow on the uptake, loves old American Westerns, distrusts elves (due to bad experiences in her past), fascinated by Japanese culture and philosophy, definitely needs some fashion sense. Has a code of honour that combines both the code of the Old West and Bushido Philosophy to be the "Bushido Cowgirl".

Next up is Hurricane Hannah (Martial/Athletic Adept). Pretty decent athlete and a boxer by her trade (..who carries a reminder of every glove that-[whoops, stop that!]) Good at throwing things (billiard balls or pepper punch grenades - "now my daddy used ta say dat burns so good) & has a devastating left cross. Cajun by birth and proud of it. Pretty easy going & patient, unless you get her riled. Loves good whiskey and playing pool. drives an old beater pickup with an assortment of odd items in the bed (rope horse blankets, a couple soymilk crates etc.). Favourite line: "ya mess wi' da Cane' you gonna feel da pain"

Then theres Da Brat (Social/Martial Adept). Cute Street kid. Fights dirty & has a surprising sucker punch. One hell of a little operator who can sweet talk her way out of almost anything and good at disguises. A victim of the Crash. Doesn't know how old she is, doesn't remember her parents, heck doesn't even remember her real name. Has a virtual pet (cat named Puss Puss) who often "sits" on her shoulders. Changes SINs like wage slaves change their socks.

Finally there is Media Blitz (Social/Face Adept), Reporter and a hell of a looker. She can make most hearts melt at 50 paces. Not quite up there yet with her idol Lady Grande, but with enough Karma she will eventually not just talk bullets out of the air but get them to tell her their life stories. Yeah she's an elf, but just by looking at her you wouldn't know it. Oh, and yes, she can deal with combat just enough to keep herself from getting her cute little butt shot off.
MYST1C
QUOTE (SirBedevere)
I wonder what Wizkid Games thinks of FanPro's release schedule?

IIRC Synner or Adam has stated that Wizkids is fully satisfied with FanPro's handling of the SR license.
Luddite
I think part of the reason FanPro is so verrry verrry slow releasing new books is that the core book is so much more playable than previous editions, and I give Fanpro a lot of credit for that, as they may have shot themselves in the foot profit-wise. Of course, I have problems with some of their other decisions, but this isn't the place. Anyone else remember how much it sucked to have to sit on a huge wad of Karma while your Shaman waited for MitS to come out so he could initiate? The inclusion of initiation and bioware in the main book has, to my mind, reduced the need somewhat for the splat books to get out so very, very quickly. My main issues with FanPro are 1) letting the release date slip (a month or two I can see, but what the hell, it's been almost six fucking months now!?) and 2) the order in which they released their books. I love playing magical characters. I pretty much split my time evenly between them and sammies. But seriously, Technomancers need help.

The especial reason I see for fixing the Technomancers first is that we have no previous versions of them to use as a guide. Let's face it, if you want your sammies to have move-by-wire instead of wired reflexes, or cybergills and fins, or whatever, it isn't all that hard to port them over from 3rd ed. How to make a Technomancer the equal of a decker... I got nothin.

As to one gun or car being "the best," well, I agree that it sucks. As much as I sometimes hated the fact that, even with an incredibly expensive pure custom gun you couldn't get something that was in any real way functionally different from just about every other gun on the market, at least that way you can say "my character uses the Ruger Superwarhawk because he had an issue with Ares in the past" or whatever without taking some small but significant penalties for not making the optimum choice.
WhiskeyMac
The problem I see with people bitching about only "one" good gun, "one" good cyberware, etc. is that they are only trying to create uber characters that can throw 15+ dice in more than 2 skills and not trying to play a character that actually has some meat in them. Just putting points into soak stats, stacking on the best reflex booster, grabbing the most damage dealing gun just doesn't sound like Shadowrun to me. It sounds like you're making a first person shooter character. Variety is the spice of life and you can make that happen without needing another sourcebook to root through. The reason is that you'll just root through that sourcebook and pick out the "best" gear and then toss the sourcebook to the side.

I find it funny that people state "there is no variety" in the main book and yet there is. Sure, theres only 4 ways to get multiple physical initiative passes but it seems like some people on these boards just want to make a character that tosses handfuls of dice, or can screw over the GM's plans faster, or deal the most damage before the opponent gets a chance or whatever. SOTA is nice but the GM can just spend some time and adapt something from SR3 or even make something up.

I'm just as bothered as the rest of you folks that the system has been out for almost 2 years and barely has 1 sourcebook out but I don't let that get me down because I know that when those other sourcebooks finally do come out, they'll be awesome. Just my .02 nuyen.gif.
Prime Mover
Heres my problem, I was late to the bandwagon, away from SR for awhile and missed the release. When I stumbled back into the fold I had several books to buy right off the bat, BBB,havens and GM screen, shortly followed by SM. Now after jumping right back in and getting a group into the world as well. As months have gone by and my appetite has been wetted and hungry for seconds.

I've got only the highest hopes for future of SR4, patients seems like 4 letter word at this point from reading few of these posts but in 2yrs time when all these books are on our shelves I'm sure we'll be ready to explode over next new development.

Now as gamers we've been spoiled by certain unamed companies who operate websites that have preview spoilers, yearly release schedules and nearly weekly added content. What SR needs is at least a touch of this. Somthing along the lines of an "insider" who could post a state of SR4 comment say once a week. Deliver us a "hey guess whats holding this book up comment" or "hey its only a few weeks till stuff hits the warehouse", kind of comments or maybe even spoiler hint from time to time. Shouldnt take more then 10 minutes out of the day to dab the drool from the rabid fanbase! GO TEAM!
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Luddite)
. . . .the core book is so much more playable than previous editions, and I give Fanpro a lot of credit for that . . . .
-------------------
. . . .the order in which they released their books.. . . . .

First bit: That's actually a really good point that I hadn't been considering. I think the core book is more complete and comprehensive, and leaves me with enough understanding of each part of the game to feel like everything is playable without the expansion book. (I'm still going to buy them all, obviously)
Except for the matrix. Not that it's not playable, but the section definitely leaves me feeling like I need the expansion book.
Which brings me to your second (quoted) point, and I couldn't agree with you more. The biggest change to this edition is the wireless matrix and, to a lesser degree, Technomancers. I would've liked to see Unwired a lot farther up in the release order.
I figure the reason it isn't is because they need time to figure it all out, too. wink.gif
Zeitgeist
See, I'm (mostly) cool with the slowness of the releases. If Street Magic was any indication, they're seriously rabid about putting out books that are polished and have very few errors. My issue is with the ORDER in which they are putting them out. After the Second Crash, a lot things changed, but magic was not one of them. From a game-play point of view, its still pick a target, focus, boom. If you can't see them, you can't cast on them. But the entire face of the matrix was changed, and its section was a good deal smaller than the mojo section. Riggers got royally shafted, too. They made a big stink over how bioware was the new big cool thing, how everything is wireless, how about five years after SR3, EVERYTHING has changed. And they put the magic book out first.

Don't get me wrong, one of my characters is a chaos mage, but they put the magic book out first...
Grinder
The order of the releases has been argumented over a lot. To me it seems that writing and updating magic, cyber- and bioware as well guns was a lot easier then updating the Matrix. So it makes kinda sense to release the "easy to write" books first, but I wonder why nobody started working on Unwired when the plans for a new edition were made clear?
Serbitar
Good points.

Not releasing Unwired first was/is a big mistake. Period. Unwired will not be out before Q2 2008 it seems (though this is just my personal guess).
MYST1C
QUOTE (Grinder)
So it makes kinda sense to release the "easy to write" books first, but I wonder why nobody started working on Unwired when the plans for a new edition were made clear?

From what was said back when SR4 came around I take that the lack of sourcebooks comes from the whole "keeping the new edition secret as long as possible" idea.

It's my understanding that only the people involved with writing the core book actually knew about the new edition (plus, of course, the line developers and some playtesters). As these people worked on the rule book they couldn't work on sourcebooks at the same time.
Additional authors for sourcebooks couldn't be recruited because of the whole "top secret" thing until SR4 was announced so, while there were already plans for the other core books (I guess), actual work on them started only after the announcement...
Grinder
I don't know. That makes sense, somehow, but why didn't the people in charge hired one or two more trustworthy freelancers to get at least a start on Unwired?
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (MYST1C)
From what was said back when SR4 came around I take that the lack of sourcebooks comes from the whole "keeping the new edition secret as long as possible" idea.

Probably a factor, but definitely not the only one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012