Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearding the Dwarf
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Serial_Peacemaker
One quick question. I know that often time dwarfs are shown as having beards in Shadowrun. Other than dwarfs being dwarfs does anyone ever give a reason they don't just shave? I mean does the beard just grow too fast? I only ask because it seems if I looked like a stereotypical dwarf the last thing I would want is a garden gnome look to add to it.
Jack Kain
Dwarves have far to broad shoulders to look like garden gnomes. They also lack the pointy hats.

As to the main question, The Dwarves of shadowrun trace there origin back tolken's work. And in the Lord of the Rings dwarves have all have beards.
TheOOB
I'd imagine that dwarves beards do in fact grow at an accelerated rate when compared to humans.

The main reason dwarves usually have beards, however, is probally because it's expected of them. Beardless dwarves look wierd and you get a whole bunch of questions from the big folk about why you shaved off your beard and what not. It's far more simple just to live a sterotype then fight it.

However, it should be noted that by no means all dwarves are bearded, it's just the most common look for them.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Mar 23 2007, 12:50 AM)
I'd imagine that dwarves beards do in fact grow at an accelerated rate when compared to humans.

The main reason dwarves usually have beards, however, is probally because it's expected of them. Beardless dwarves look wierd and you get a whole bunch of questions from the big folk about why you shaved off your beard and what not. It's far more simple just to live a sterotype then fight it.

However, it should be noted that by no means all dwarves are bearded, it's just the most common look for them.

yeah, none of the dwarfs I have--NPCs and PCs--wear beards; one of them had his beard hair follicles surgically removed because he was so sick of shaving all the time.
Anymage
You could say that dwarfs have coarser hair than elves and humans, and on top of that there seems to be a tendency for dwarfs to be workaholics and regular shaving is simply more time consuming than keeping a beard. Other than that, it's probably a combination of stereotype, social pressure, and out-of-game expectations that build so many SR dwarfs in that mold.
The Entropic Wizard
Actually, beardless dwarves have been pictured in some of the older SR books. I'm fairly certain one of the Contacts books for either SR2 or SR3 pictured a couple beardless dwarves in the art.

And you're right... they look weird. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Arthur Vogel doesn't have a beard.
The Entropic Wizard
Arthur Vogel doesn't have a beard.

That's where I remember that from.. I'm gonna have to dig out my SR2 stuff to find the other I was thinking of...
fistandantilus4.0
For the Vogel Pic, try the Dunk's Secrets book
The Entropic Wizard
I was just reading that the other night, actually. Ah, for the glory days of Super Tuesday spin.gif
Grinder
Yes, the good old days...
Ancient History
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Dwarves have far to broad shoulders to look like garden gnomes. They also lack the pointy hats.

Though the Garden Gnome Industry never did recover after the Awakening.
Grinder
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...
Ranneko
Because beards rock?

Especially since it means you don't need to shave, just get it trimmed now and then.
Aaron
A better question is, why don't you?
Fezig
Thats why I have a goatee. I am doing way to much to shave all the time, and lets face it, the around the mouth and chin area is the biggest pain to shave, so its a time saving device. Dwarves are just ahead of the curve on this one, I look for humans to catch up by the 7th or 8th world.
Grinder
QUOTE (Ranneko)
Because beards rock?

You've never been to Germany, I guess. Garden Gnome are a sign of the bored suburbian culture here.
Fezig
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Ranneko @ Mar 23 2007, 01:02 PM)
Because beards rock?

You've never been to Germany, I guess. Garden Gnome are a sign of the bored suburbian culture here.

Same way in the states, but beards on the other hand are signs of Lumberjacks, Biker Gangs, and ugly Amish women, all of which are inherently tough and thus exemplify a quality desired in runners.
DireRadiant
You're a three foot tall Adult.... in a world where the vast majority of three foot tall people are children. Or baby trogs.

How do you distinguish yourself as an adult?

Don't shave.
Ranneko
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Ranneko @ Mar 23 2007, 01:02 PM)
Because beards rock?

Huh?

Sorry, I do not follow what you are saying here.

When I said beards rock, I meant that in the sense of "Beards are good", which is an entirely subjective opinion, which may be slightly biased considering my bearded state.
Grinder
Oh sorry, thought you were referring to my post. Mea culpa.

Nothing to read here, then. Move along! biggrin.gif
dionysus
Isn't the hacker on the cover of the BBB a beardless dwarf?
evilgenius
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
You're a three foot tall Adult.... in a world where the vast majority of three foot tall people are children. Or baby trogs.

How do you distinguish yourself as an adult?

Don't shave.

This makes a lot of sense to me...

In my game I kind of alluded that it was a genetic predisposition to faster growing hair. I described one dwarf male with 5 o'clock shadow at 11 am.
the_dunner
QUOTE (dionysus)

As that character is wearing pink shorts, lipstick, and has a braid that's probably more than 2 feet in length, one could posit that this character is female, and for purposes of tracking dwarves without beards, probably doesn't count. (Alternatively, that *could* be a crossdressing dwarf.)
Kyoto Kid
...at least the two female dwarves in the sample character section SR4 BBB don't have beards. Would be real tough on the one who is the face.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...at least the two female dwarves in the sample character section SR4 BBB don't have beards. Would be real tough on the one who is the face.

Female dwarves have other indicators of adult hood.
Kyoto Kid
...in one other game [which should not be mentioned] it was also said that female dwarves could also have beards. Thankfully Shadowrun didn't follow that line.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (dionysus @ Mar 23 2007, 09:33 AM)

As that character is wearing pink shorts, lipstick, and has a braid that's probably more than 2 feet in length, one could posit that this character is female, and for purposes of tracking dwarves without beards, probably doesn't count. (Alternatively, that *could* be a crossdressing dwarf.)

I generally discount anything and everything from the cover of the BBB. I hate that picture.

Cool pic of a female dwarf - Cybertechnology, Prime Runners

Bad pic of dwarf -BBB cover
knasser

Dwarves have beards? Since when? Surely some do and some don't. If you want to talk about a natural state, then men have beards unless they shave. But lots of men don't have beards. So I don't see why dwarves, who come from every human culture in existence would be any more likely to have a beard than a human.

I don't remember anything in cannon that said a dwarf must or should have a beard. I don't see why any other races should have significantly different hair patterns, either. My second favourite troll character has a big head of ginger hair.
fistandantilus4.0
Well it could be that the dwarf race tends to grow facial hair easier. I know some guys that shave twice a day, and some that only need to once a week. It's never stated, like in SOTA 63 where it talks about dwarfs tending towards a higher than average lean towards being left handed.
Garrowolf
On one hand I have a beard about the length that they show dwarves so I like them. On the other hand I can see drawves shaving just so they don't get them caught in machinery!

Sort of like Blacksmiths. Despite what you see in movies, historically blacksmiths were one of the few people in a village who didn't have a beard. That is because hair burns well!
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
On one hand I have a beard about the length that they show dwarves so I like them. On the other hand I can see drawves shaving just so they don't get them caught in machinery!

Sort of like Blacksmiths. Despite what you see in movies, historically blacksmiths were one of the few people in a village who didn't have a beard. That is because hair burns well!

Most craftmen, not just blacksmiths, actually keep their hair, all their hair, short--have you ever seen the aftermath of a ponytail getting caught in a lathe? Instant scalping.

So, yeah, considering the reputation of dwarfs and machinery in the Sixth World, I imagine that alot of them would go beardless--or at the very least keep it to a nicely trimmed goatee. Afterall, can you imagine what a few loose strands would do to the inside of a finely tuned drone, like, say, in the computer brain?
MaxHunter
Ahem! Going back to second edition: aren't dwarfs classified " homo sapiens pumilionis"
That seems to imply faster growing / more profuse body hair. Doesn't it?

I must add that I am very happy with female dwarfs, orks and trolls actually looking feminine right now. I love the chinese ork gunslinger in the BBB. The dwarf face looks wrong, though.

Cheers,

Max

Garrowolf
Maybe that dwarf was ugly.
WhiskeyMac
I always thought that the BBB cover dwarf was just a dude wearing a jersey and some track shorts with a long braid. Hmm, maybe I should get my eyes checked again.

I have to agree that I enjoy the fact that Troll female doesn't mean Chyna or some other freaky looking bodybuilder chick. Course, I couldn't imagine the fetishes that would crop up from having 4 new species to play with. eek.gif
Demon_Bob
Dwarf Santa?
yoippari
First: Why are you necroing threads from 3 weeks ago? It's not that I mind, its just, unusual to necro a thread with a two word post.

Second: In a game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned I played female dwarves shaved their beards out of practicality. They also invented bras for the same reason. I can't see any wage slave dwarf who works with machinery to not get their beard removed during a lunch break sometime in their first year of work.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Mar 23 2007, 09:52 AM)
...at least the two female dwarves in the sample character section SR4 BBB don't have beards.  Would be real tough on the one who is the face.

Female dwarves have other indicators of adult hood.

With enough soy and other estrogen analogues in the diet, any 1 meter girl is going to have those same indicators of adulthood. She'll probably even menstruate.

Other than the thing where they can lift and throw your motorcycle, I'm not really sure how female dwarfs differentiate themselves from children in 2071.

-Frank
Fresno Bob
Dwarves have beards because they're too short to reach their chin and shave it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012