Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Military Contractors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Gamble
DISCLAIMER: This is not a knock or endorsement of. Just a curiousity question.

With that out of the way, what do you think? A large corporation, like Blackwater, with contractors numbering in the thousands upon thousands able to be placed anywhere on the map and work in tangent with or against regular law enforcement/military personnel. Geared with on par if not better equipment than most and answerable to the corporation itself.

Now transfer that to the world of Shadowrun and the year 2070. You have personal corp security, chromed out and armed with the latest and greatest above and beyond LoneStar and the others.

Now...thoughts? Opinions?

And if you had such a group in your game, what would the team of contractors consist of?
Rotbart van Dainig
That's already a basic assumption of the SR setting.
lorechaser
But yes, I think Blackwater is where it started. wink.gif

And Blackwater is already better equipped than the military - any number of interviews with soldiers fighting beside Blackwater mercs say things like "You're sitting there in substandard body armor, because no one ordered more, making 35k a year, and the guy next to you is fully geared, making 6 figures or more."

It's an easy choice, to me. If you're going to fight, fight on the side of the group that gets income based on results, pays 10x the salary, and can afford the good stuff.
hobgoblin
and that the government that hired it can write of as a independent contractor acting on its own initiative when they do something stupid like kill civilians...
Demerzel
And if you do manage to do something stupid you're subject to civilian court procedures rather than the uniform code of military justice which allows for less in the way of defendant's rights.
ludomastro
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Mar 24 2007, 11:03 AM)
And if you do manage to do something stupid you're subject to civilian court procedures rather than the uniform code of military justice which allows for less in the way of defendant's rights.

Which one allows less?

BTW - Blackwater scares me.

[edit]The concept of people having lots and lots guns does not scare me - I grew up in the South and firmly believe in the Second Amendment [US Constitution]. Not to mention that most poeple have more rifles in their home than people old enought to fire them. It just scares me that a corporation is taking on the role of the military and has more firepower than some countries.[/edit]
Demerzel
I get the impression that the uniform code of military justice has less protections of defendant's rights.
6thDragon
The UCMJ definitely gives the defendant less rights then an American court, but not all civilian courts give defendants as many rights as an American or European court. By the way when you are comparing equipment of Blackwater to the equipment of a soldier make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Last I checked Blackwater doesn't deploy tanks or attack helicopters. Sure you won't see one of their guys without body armor, but the average blackwater guy is a former spec ops type. IRL you never see the spec ops guys underfunded when it comes to equipment. The soldiers without body armor are usually one of two types rear echelon types (those so far removed from a combat arms job) who are not likely to need it, or a Reservist or National Guard (which is unfortuanate).
hobgoblin
but then one can ask how effective tanks and helicopters will be in a world where less and less of the fighting happens with a clear front line and two matched national forces against each other.

"police" actions will be the norm rather then the exception, and for that use blackwater and similar will be near perfect for the job. didnt they (for a while) get police like authority in new orleans after the flood?

edit:

just recalled that while they dont have tanks, i have seen photos of armored SUVs...

and if they need air cover, grab a civilian copter and bolt som machine guns on it, huey style wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (6thDragon)
The UCMJ definitely gives the defendant less rights then an American court, but not all civilian courts give defendants as many rights as an American or European court.

Please give examples of the differences in where the defendant in the military court would have less justice than in the civilian court, and to be specific, US only. I'm curious why you say that.
PBTHHHHT
Apparently Blackwater does have some helicopters.
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2...00732105017.asp
Fix-it
mercs ain't nothing new, from german mercenaries in the American Revolution, to

Executive Outcomes' suppression of a revolution in Sierra Leon, to blackwater in Iraq, people have been wielding arms for a Great Deal of Money, for a long time, and will for probably ever.
knasser
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Mar 24 2007, 07:05 PM)
mercs ain't nothing new, from german mercenaries in the American Revolution, to

Executive Outcomes' suppression of a revolution in Sierra Leon, to blackwater in Iraq, people have been wielding arms for a Great Deal of Money, for a long time, and will for probably ever.

Yeah, but it's our money! If you're a UK or USA citizen and you pay taxes, then it's your earnings that are paying the wages.

Actually, considering that the occupation of Iraq is being funded by massive borrowing, those of you who don't pay taxes yet, will still probably be paying for it by the time you start. frown.gif
Cheops
QUOTE (Fix-it)

Executive Outcomes was absolutely massive for a while. It was capable of fielding an entire battalion back in its heyday.

Private Security Corporations (PSCs) are big money in the world right now and their use is growing. They are actually part of the problem in Africa right now. International aid organizations, such as the IMF, World Bank, and UN try to foster transparency and responsible fiscal spending in African countries. As part of a country's financial restructuring after receiving money they usually stipulate how much the country's defense budget can be. Say 2M.

The country's leaders then turn around and decide that they can't keep control of the country with that little spending. They then embezzle a big chunk of the aid funds (often spending up to 12 M instead of the 2 they were supposed to) and use that to hire PSCs. The PSCs prop up the un-democratic regime, suppress the rebels (somewhat) but never enough to actually stop the rebellion, and the cycle continues.

A large part of the issue in Nigeria right now is the pressure of aggressive conversion mixed with exploitation by oil companies. It is not unknown for corporate troops to march into towns in the oil fields and displace the entire population so that rigs can be set up. The displaced people either move to the city where they turn to crime and poverty or else head for the bush and become rebels perpetuating the problem.

Meanwhile, no one is farming in any of these countries, because the African nations have to abide by WTO standards so their crops are cheap and there are rebels roaming the countryside stealling what food is produced to feed their troops. The people in the city further fall into poverty as they are forced to import food at higher prices because Western countries use quotas and subsidies to keep their failing agricultural sectors functioning. Again perpetuating the cycle of violence.

We already live in the world of Shadowrun. We just live in the plush corporate world of SR, not the gritty part of it.
hobgoblin
hmm, want grit? just wait for a economic collapse of some kind...

and if anyone is wondering, here is the birdie talked about in the article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-6

hmm, assault rifles with c-mags, should make for nice crowd/insurgent suppression i guess smile.gif
6thDragon
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (6thDragon @ Mar 24 2007, 11:52 AM)
The UCMJ definitely gives the defendant less rights then an American court, but not all civilian courts give defendants as many rights as an American or European court.

Please give examples of the differences in where the defendant in the military court would have less justice than in the civilian court, and to be specific, US only. I'm curious why you say that.

Just off the top of my head, and I'm not a lawyer. In a civilian court in the US a jury consists of random people selected for jury duty. They could come from any walk of life, income range, or class. However in a military court martial the "jury" consists of only officers. Who are by nature less sympathetic to the accused. Additionally I am under the impression that there is no Voir Dire process included in the UCMJ.
Penta
No. For enlisteds, the board can consist of up to 1/3 enlisted of equal or higher rank. For officers, the board is all officers of equal or higher rank. (This is one reason why you never see generals court-martialed...At flag ranks, everybody of equal or higher rank knows everybody, so an impartial jury is basically impossible.)

There is a voir dire process, and it's in fact quite similar to civilian court-martials.
mfb
unless i'm mistaken, a soldier under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ doesn't get to hire a lawyer--he is assigned one, and that's that. so you couldn't get Johnny Cochrane to rise from the dead and get you off on a technicality. my impression, though i'll freely admit that i've got no factual basis i can point to, is that technicalities count for a lot less under the UCMJ. the applicable laws are simpler and less confusing.

QUOTE (Cheops)
We already live in the world of Shadowrun. We just live in the plush corporate world of SR, not the gritty part of it.

to an extent. in SR, that sort of thing is much more widespread; the third world has invaded much of the first.
Penta
Actually...Yes, you -can- hire a civilian lawyer...Though those that specialize in mil law are expensive, and you hire at your own expense.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cheops)

Actually, while SR may be over the top sometimes, it is quite an utopia.
TenTonHammer
I've had the pleasure of meeting a few Blackwater guys. One of which was my good friends father (retired Grunt, and i have a buddy going through the BW school now). My friends father tells me that they take more collateral damage than the Marines out in the field. I dont want to go into details about what they do. But there is a reason why they get paid allot more than me and my buddies in the Corps. And they also fall under the UCMJ now,... which IMO i dont think they should.

I'm not to afraid of Blackwater (a corp) most of these guys are so die hard American they go merc AFTER 20 years of service. Crazy Crazy people, but the dollar dont mean that much to them to turn(they dont have nukes yet .... ???).

hobgoblin
its not the corps them selfs thats worrying, the "plausible deniability" factor...
TenTonHammer
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
its not the corps them selfs thats worrying, the "plausible deniability" factor...

Well as of right now it hasn't come of that. Everyone has "heard" stories, I was over there twice and have seen "stories". But the UCMJ is no joke. And they fall under that. You get "legal representation" supplied by the Gov. (aka your Joint Law Office on base), and NO Civilian lawyer that doesnt just want your money does military courts, too many more laws to learn, and most of them stupid (like swearing in a government building).

The way the Marine Corps. is going now is toward "more grunts, less support" meaning my job is out(32k a year, and i get a rifle) and they pay a Civ more cash and he sits there with gear. So Blackwater might actually be out of a job soon, or at least use them for special missions like, holding a small village. Also depends on what Iran and other nations feel like doing.

Imagine if Kim Jong Il nukes Mecca... crazy little bastard wants to make something glow in the dark, and he's not liking them to much over there.

Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (TenTonHammer)
Imagine if Kim Jong Il nukes Mecca...

I'd rather not - because that would mean the ability to send working nukes halfway across the globe.
mfb
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
I'd rather not - because that would mean the ability to send working nukes halfway across the globe.

eh, he already can. not in a missile, maybe, but it wouldn't be hard to sneak one in disguised as a shipping unit full of batteries or somesuch. assuming he can refine the material, which... yeah, he probably can. he'd probably have a long list of targets to hit before he gets around to Mecca, though.
hobgoblin
the enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that...

as for the UCMJ, thats for the individual blackwater employee right?

can the US government be said to be liable (or whatever the word is) if a blackwater employee goes rambo on some iraqi ass if said company was working under a contract with USA at that time?

or will the blame stop at blackwater?
Ravor
Bah, the enemy of my enemy is merely my enemy's enemy, nothing more. nyahnyah.gif
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ravor)
Bah, the enemy of my enemy is merely my enemy's enemy, nothing more. nyahnyah.gif

And if violence wasn't my last resort, than I didn't resort to enough of it. Also, remember, when facing hired mercenaries, that there is not such thing as "Overkill." There is only "Open Fire!" and "Time to reload."
Cheops
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
the enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that...

as for the UCMJ, thats for the individual blackwater employee right?

can the US government be said to be liable (or whatever the word is) if a blackwater employee goes rambo on some iraqi ass if said company was working under a contract with USA at that time?

or will the blame stop at blackwater?

I don't think it would matter whether they fell under UCMJ or not. If the country decides it wants to be pissed at the US for the way its soldiers are actng probably depends on how its people are feeling.

The marine who raped the Phillipino girl is undergoing trial in the Phillipines I believe, and the Phillipines haven't exactly gone to war or cut off diplomatic ties. The people are pissed but only because it wasn't one of their own that did the crime. Easier to be upset when it is a foreigner.

Contrast that to the case of Abu Ghraib and other incidents in Iraq. The Iraqi government can't and won't do anything about it but you can bet that it has galvanized the opposition forces.

Holding a foreign government responsible for something and trying to make it liable is basically tantamount to war. That's not a step to be taken lightly unless you are really spoiling for it.
mfb
Blackwater employees are not subject to UCMJ unless they are working against the US military in some capacity, and even then, it will only apply to them in terms of how they can expect to be treated if they are captured as POWs. UCMJ applies only to military personnel--it does not apply to personnel that the military contracts. if a Blackwater employee went Rambo on some Iraqi civilians, he would be subject Iraqi civilian law--in other words, he would be tried for murder.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
eh, he already can. not in a missile, maybe, but it wouldn't be hard to sneak one in disguised as a shipping unit full of batteries or somesuch.

Doing so usually tends to make customs officer a bit nervous when their geiger counter goes berserk. wink.gif
hobgoblin
make the package read "lead/acid batteries" and line the box with lead nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Cheops)
Holding a foreign government responsible for something and trying to make it liable is basically tantamount to war. That's not a step to be taken lightly unless you are really spoiling for it.

man i really do have a problem for getting things down on paper.

didnt plausible deniability enter the modern dictionary because CIA was working via go betweens to fund uprisings in nations the current US leadership didnt like?

as in, can the sitting president or someone else, when blackwater personnel mess up, sweep it under the rug as a civilian matter, not a national one? and how many voters will buy that?

as in, creating a mental moat between the national leadership and the actions...
Penta
QUOTE (mfb)
Blackwater employees are not subject to UCMJ unless they are working against the US military in some capacity, and even then, it will only apply to them in terms of how they can expect to be treated if they are captured as POWs. UCMJ applies only to military personnel--it does not apply to personnel that the military contracts. if a Blackwater employee went Rambo on some Iraqi civilians, he would be subject Iraqi civilian law--in other words, he would be tried for murder.

That's been changed recently, I believe.

PSCs in the field alongside US forces are now subject to the UCMJ in full.
kzt
QUOTE (Penta)

Which is insane. And they are not in the field with US forces, they are carrying out clearly defined protective missions. What is their chain of command if they are hired by the State Department and assigned to protect the Chief of mission (a state department officer)? This makes the first person who can issue orders that impact everyone involved the president of the United States. And interestingly enough, the UCMJ doesn't cover state department employees. Not to mention that the last time someone tried a civilian under the UCMJ it was overturned by the SCOTUS as unconstitutional.
mfb
QUOTE (Penta)
That's been changed recently, I believe.

hmm, so they are. prior to the recent change, UCMJ only applied to civilian contractors in time of war (which i didn't know); now, it's basically anytime they're doing anything--a "contingency operation" is really broad wording that could be applied to almost anything. makes sense, in a way--declaring war is unseemly, so we don't do it anymore, but we still have to keep a rope on non-military personnel who may be running around taking advantage of the situation. it'd be better if we had the integrity to declare war in situations where substantial military force were required, and not commit substantial forces in situations we don't want to declare war over. that way, military contractors would fall under UCMJ in most conflicts.
TenTonHammer
QUOTE (mfb)

makes sense, in a way--declaring war is unseemly, so we don't do it anymore, but we still have to keep a rope on non-military personnel who may be running around taking advantage of the situation.

You should hear the stories chummers...
bait
it'd be better if we had the integrity to declare war in situations where substantial military force were required, and not commit substantial forces in situations we don't want to declare war over.

Declaring war in this day and age is not the smartest thing to do, with the end to the Cold War there are a lot of complex sphere's of influence going on which can cause serious impact on the nations involved. ( Its also the main protection for all the major players.)

With some of the questionable choices in conflicts its becoming harder to have the cause for war and the fact that there are non-national entities involved makes it much more difficult to wage conventional warfare. ( For example Russian's anti-terrorism rumblings with former USSR states.)

As for contractors, their still tied to the sponsoring state which makes them not so deniable.

Private intelligence contracting is more of a significant worry as there isn't a clear picture on the activity going on and its difficult to account for their use.
mfb
the thing is, our entire military complex, and the laws and bodies of government that support and maintain it, is built on the premise of war. if war isn't declared, people have to make up their own rules, which negates the whole idea behind having rules in the first place. if we're going to persist in not declaring war when we go to war, then we need to adjust the laws and procedures accordingly. the recent amendment to the UCMJ is one step in that direction, but it's a tiny step with an impact on entirely the wrong end of the whole thing--it's fixing issues that are ramifications of higher-order issues, instead of looking at the higher-order issues first.
Spike
I went to Iraq with a guy. Then I went to Afghanistan and met the same guy working for blackwater. This gives me an interesting perspective here.

Blackwater guys got better gear?

Not really. He had the same rifle I had, more or less, he had smaller, more comfortable armor (but at the same time less coverage) than I had. The big differences were he could wear comfortable civilian clothes, got paid better and only had to work 8 hours a day.

Someone mentioned Executive Operations (name check?) as huge, because they could feild a battalion.

Er, I spent 8 years of my life living with some five battalions as my closest neighbors and freinds. Size is relative.

That said: Yup, this is shadowrun. It's also historical. Merc's go way back, and these new players are just more of the same. The more it changes the more it stays the same.
kzt
If you want to see a path to how you end up with armies defending a corporation's interests, consider this:

"A bill has been introduced in the State Duma that would allow the Transneft state pipeline monopoly and the Gazprom natural gas monopoly to form special armed units, Nezavisimaya Gazeta reports. These units would be tasked with guarding production and storage facilities and transportation infrastructure. According to the newspaper, at least 16 federal agencies already have their own armed units."

Sadly cited article is in Russian. http://www.ng.ru/politics/2007-03-02/3_transneft.html
hobgoblin
heh, talk about going from apparent runaway communism to apparent runaway capitalism silly.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 26 2007, 08:40 PM)
He had the same rifle I had, more or less, he had smaller, more comfortable armor (but at the same time less coverage) than I had.  The big differences were he could wear comfortable civilian clothes, got paid better and only had to work 8 hours a day.

er. I guess it's just an assumption made by the media that they can afford better gear, they must go out and buy it.

Someone mentioned Executive Operations (name check?) as huge, because they could feild a battalion.

Executive Outcomes.

what was impressive about EO was that they did what the 11k UN peacekeepers could not: keep a lid on the growing rebellion and civil war. and they did it with a lot less than 11k troops.Only several hundred in fact.
Spike
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 26 2007, 08:40 PM)
He had the same rifle I had, more or less, he had smaller, more comfortable armor (but at the same time less coverage) than I had.  The big differences were he could wear comfortable civilian clothes, got paid better and only had to work 8 hours a day.

er. I guess it's just an assumption made by the media that they can afford better gear, they must go out and buy it.

Executive Outcomes.

what was impressive about EO was that they did what the 11k UN peacekeepers could not: keep a lid on the growing rebellion and civil war. and they did it with a lot less than 11k troops.Only several hundred in fact.

The thing of it is, disregarding that crazy canuck with his Halo Armor, body armor only comes in certain levels of effectiveness, as do rifles. There isn't really any gear out there to buy that the military doesn't already have.

The real difference in many cases is the lack of beaurocratic control. The UN is one of the least effective 'controlling organizations' out there, simply because they are trying to make 100 different soveriegn nations happy all the time. EO only has to make their paying employer happy, and there is still an element of deniability involved. That is EO and Blackwater can get away with doing things that are practical that official soldiers would be severely reprimanded for trying.

Remind me to share some of my anecdotes re: Iraq with you some time for why 150k troops 'aren't enough'...
cristomeyers
QUOTE (Spike)
Someone mentioned Executive Operations (name check?)

Executive Operations is the name of the merc group in Mercenaries for PS2/Xbox
mfb
i think the RL group was called Executive Outcomes.
kzt
QUOTE (Spike)
The thing of it is, disregarding that crazy canuck with his Halo Armor, body armor only comes in certain levels of effectiveness, as do rifles. There isn't really any gear out there to buy that the military doesn't already have.

The miracle breakthrough armors (like dragonskin) all seem to have a lot more sizzle than steak when you look into them. They have loads of testimonials and demos, but no reports from reputable labs attesting to the accuracy of their claims or NIJ certification that shows they can offer the protection they claim.
WhiskeyMac
Actually Dragonskin has been NIJ certified for Type IIIA and is in testing for Type IV. The certification happened in Dec. 2006.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Penta @ Mar 24 2007, 06:31 PM)
There is a voir dire process, and it's in fact quite similar to civilian court-martials.

It is courts-martial. Court(s) is the noun, martial is an adjective that modifies it. There are no such thing as civilian courts-martial; the two adjectives are mutually contradictory. Civilians simply have courts.

The biggest issue with the UCMJ is that many trivial things that would be Constitutionally protected outside of the military are crimes under the UCMJ. If you're a civilian janitor who decides to sleep in late instead of getting up to mop the floors at 4AM one day, the worst that can happen to you is that you get fired. If you are a janitor who is subject to the UCMJ and do the same the worst that can happen is that you are imprisoned for six months.
This, of course, is an abridgment against one of the more recent but more important Constitutional Protections, the one prohibiting slavery and indentured servitude.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Actually Dragonskin has been NIJ certified for Type IIIA and is in testing for Type IV. The certification happened in Dec. 2006.

It's level III certified, apparently. Assuming (pending on the results of NIJ level IV testing) they can hang with ESAPI plates, that's ~30% more coverage at the same weight, or the same coverage at ~0.8x the weight. Which is not bad, but the only real claim to fame is still the flexibility.

I wonder where they got the mythical "level V" protection referred to on their site? I love the "classified" velocities for those, when the exact specifications of the cartridges in question, possibly apart from the details of the WC penetrator's design, and their performance out of standard US military small arms is public knowledge.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (mfb)
I think the RL group was called Executive Outcomes.

It was indeed. London was a fairly serious global centre for private military companies operating in the developing world, mostly in Africa and South America IIRC, before the 2003 Invasion of Iraq and mass drafting in of PMCs like Blackwater situation made people much more aware of the industry and lead to its rapid expansion over in the US as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012