Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supplements...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
knasser
With all due respect to FanPro, the people who work there, the freelancers who contribute such excellent material and the logistics and trials of turning such material into a neatly laid out and printed bit of hardcopy, we who have voted above want Arsenal and / or other books like Augmented and Unwired to be released sometime before the first available opportunity. Until at least one of the above books is released, we hereby solemnly undertake to whine, beg, cajole or threaten to turn up at your house en masse for a five day Runathon (you provide the munchies) in our attempt to motivate you.

I personally volunteer to provide any freelancer working on the project with a room, computer, total social isolation and meals passed twice a day through the grill at the bottom of your door until such time as you secure your release by passing back through a completed manuscript. Other posters below hereby volunteer to dress up in your clothes, imitate whatever weirdy-beardy accent you have in your part of the World and turn up at your job / home / local bar fulfilling whatever obligations (contractual / social / marital) may be distracting you from completion of said Shadowrun projects. (We do not guarantee continued availability of job / spouse / friends on your return. Past performance is no indicator of future performance).

In short, this poll serves as an expression of interest in the forthcoming books and to demonstrate the fragile hopes of your many players that have been brutally savaged by each release date as it flew by them.

Please, Fanpro, on behalf of all of us, hearken to our calls and deliver us our supplements.

That is all.

-Khadim.

p.s. A continuation of the quality of Street Magic and Runner Havens would be appreciated. wink.gif
Jaid
wait... there's release dates?

i didn't know you could call "sometime in the X quarther of the year" a release date...
fistandantilus4.0
I'm noticing a certain lack of options like ... "I'm ok with waiting..."

Or am I talking to the wrong crowd?
Waltermandias
This isn't really on topic, but I just went to your site from the link in your sig, and I'm very impressed. The thing showing what a street sam with great stats can do is cool. Plus, the fiction pieces are very good. Anyhoo, like I said, this isn't on topic, but I wanted to give kudos where kudos were due.
FriendoftheDork
Heck, I want Augmented first. I don't need more guns and Daikote 2.0, I want street samurai to be able to compete with adepts (that initatites).
Grinder
QUOTE (Jaid)
wait... there's release dates?

There are no release dates. There are no release dates. There are no release dates. There are no release dates. There are no release dates. There are no release dates.

wobble.gif
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I'm noticing a certain lack of options like ... "I'm ok with waiting..."

Or am I talking to the wrong crowd?

Yes, Fist. Yes, you are. This is the Baying for New Supplements thread. We don't stop posting till we get new books! biggrin.gif

@Waltermandias: Thank you. It takes a bit of time to get things web-suitable, so it's feedback that keeps me doing it. Cheers for yours,

-K.
Glayvin34
I hate that I am not a gamer that dwells on and appreciates a single set of rules and fluff for their elegance and intrigue, but rather a gamer that MUST CONSUME NEW MATERIAL.

Ahem. Unfortunately the other gamers in my SR group share this trait, and we are unable to play without a better fleshed out post-Crash 2.0 Sixth World.
Prime Mover
Im an old gamer and still as rabid as the next fanboy when comes to new releases. I can be patient abit longer if can only be assured its quality product on par with what we've seen so far for this edition and it comes out sooner rather then later or worst case never.

Don't see it now but pretty sure adam mentioned somthing about an upcomeing errata for Street Magic that would include material left out of book, that would be nice "appetite suppresent" till we get arsenal / emergence wouldnt it nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
A watched pot does boil, but usually you're too busy paying attention to notice.
Wasabi
I'd rather get good quality supplements than crappy ones. I'll wait, thanks.
Thats not to say I don't WISH they were done, but if they aren't done, I'd rather wait.

Put me down for the unwritten choice 'C'
Guye Noir
A delayed book is eventually good, but a bad book is bad forever. We must have patience.

From the other thread about this very same thing. I tend to agree.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (knasser)
Yes, Fist. Yes, you are. This is the Baying for New Supplements thread. We don't stop posting till we get new books! biggrin.gif

Sorry, must have gotten lost looking for bibliophiles thread for old books. My bad. biggrin.gif

Good luck with the campaign!
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Guye Noir)
A delayed book is eventually good, but a bad book is bad forever. We must have patience.

From the other thread about this very same thing. I tend to agree.

Ooh, I got quoted.
Of course, I stole the quote myself, from Shigeru Miyamoto, regarding Twilight Princess being delayed over a year. Just change book to game, and remove the part about patience.

But I am hardly a paragon of patience myself. I do my best.
Some bonus Street Magic material would definitely shut me up for a while. Well, if it was anything good. If it's just a few new traditions I'm going to print it, shove it in my book, and forget about it. But I will do so gratefully.
nezumi
I'd prefer it done right rather than quickly, thank you.
Thorn Black
Ditto the done right sentiments. But I am a rabid consumer of all things shadowrun, and I haven't consumed in sooo long.
Waltermandias
QUOTE (nezumi)

We are so far past "done quickly" by this point that it's crazypants. SR4 came out a year and a half ago! We've gotten Runner Havens, Street Magic, and an adventure. One book every six months is really, really bad for an RPG company. Especially since two of those books weren't the ones we desperately need! Books for White Wolf games come out every couple months, d20 supplements are everywhere! Why not Shadowrun? These companies are more than capable of getting books done right in a third of the time it takes the fine folks at Shadowrun. Hell, I'm almost faster at writing a game, and my "company" consists of me and another guy who do it as a hobby!

Anyways, enough with the bitching from me. It's just I love Shadowrun so much, and it keeps hurting me. I don't want to keep telling my FLGS owner I just "fell down the stairs..."
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Waltermandias)
It's just I love Shadowrun so much, and it keeps hurting me. I don't want to keep telling my FLGS owner I just "fell down the stairs..."

rotfl.gif

They do say that Love is a Battlefield.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Waltermandias)
We've gotten Runner Havens, Street Magic, and an adventure.

And the GM screen. Okay, it's not a "book", but it is a supplement.
That said, as eagerly as I await Emergence (and I do await it eagerly) it's going to take Arsenal to really shut me up for a while.
Crakkerjakk
*waves hand lazily* These are not the release dates you are looking for...
ornot
QUOTE (Waltermandias)
/snip These companies are more than capable of getting books done right in a third of the time it takes the fine folks at Shadowrun. Hell, I'm almost faster at writing a game, and my "company" consists of me and another guy who do it as a hobby!

It was brought to my attention recently that Fanpro is pretty much one guy and a couple of part timers contributing in their freetime. So that should make you feel a touch more sympathy.

I wonder if there's any way to make this business more profitable so they can expand, and produce books more rapidly. Maybe a corporate Sponsor wink.gif

Still... I recall a large percentage of the books brought out by WoD were really bad. I used to buy them pretty religiously, and some just made me sick to my stomach, they were such a goddamned waste of time.
fistandantilus4.0
Let's hope the next few books from Fanpro give you some validity to "quality vs quantity".
ornot
Here's to hoping Fist.

*clink*

*glug*
Kyoto Kid
...make mine a double....
Demerzel
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

I think your policy of edge refresh for every beer consumed is leading you down the path to alcoholism...
ShadowDragon
Who are the dorks who keep voting for never?
knasser
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Mar 27 2007, 11:30 PM)

Either people seeking to be funny or contrary, or else some who object to me having the [perceived] arrogance to judge FanPro and express their objection through a facetious answer the poll. Or else frightened WotC employees. wink.gif

Seriously, I hear what some are saying about "I'd rather have a good product than a early product." But such bland aphorisms don't really mean anything. Obviously I'd also rather lateness than a flawed product but we've already got the late by about eight months or more so let's have the product. I'm serious when I say that without supplements, Shadowrun will suffer.

I just want to show FanPro how much we want their stuff and give them a good natured nudge. A bit more of the back catalogue as PDFs *cough*Shadows of Europre*cough* would be good, too. wink.gif
Thorn Black
It was brought to my attention recently that Fanpro is pretty much one guy and a couple of part timers contributing in their freetime. So that should make you feel a touch more sympathy.

Gosh. If they want a hand to errr... you know, play test... I would be more than happy to help out. I make a really good cup of tea wink.gif
Wasabi
QUOTE (ornot)
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ Mar 27 2007, 03:25 PM)
/snip It was brought to my attention recently that Fanpro is pretty much one guy and a couple of part timers contributing in their freetime. So that should make you feel a touch more sympathy.

If they weren't charging market-rate for their books and selling enough PDF books with almost zero overhead to keep that business going I'd say sure, they are a small outfit. They aren't charging small prices though. Fanpro charges regular prices like a big outfit for good quality SR products.

If they don't get enough writers to be able to release good quality supplements then thats entirely their business decisions at fault and not ours for lack of sympathy.

Oh, and my obligatory statement: I'd rather wait and get a solid, well thought out supplement than a bunch of junk that obsolesces a few months after release when all the loopholes are found through players.
Moon-Hawk
Let's hope the next few books from Fanpro give you some validity to "quality vs quantity".

After seeing Street Magic I have full confidence that the new books will be great. But that doesn't make me more patient, that makes me want them more.
smile.gif
Meriss
Heck release Shadows of Latin America on holostreets. That would make ME happy. Or as someone said more PDFs cyber.gif Yes PDFs would be nice. spin.gif
Moon-Hawk
I know I've mentioned this before, but what I would really like to see is a free, online compilation of the gear art from all the old editions. People new to SR4 may not realize this, but almost every gun, bit of cyber, vehicle, etc had a half-page writeup and a half-page picture once up on a time, in whatever book in whatever edition it first showed up.
That would be a wonderful resource for everyone, new or old to the game, to just have each bit of gear that still exists in this edition, with whatever big fabulous picture it had in the Street Samurai Catalog, or Rigger Black Book, or Fields of Fire, or Shadowtech, or Cybertechnology (right now the old-timers are getting little chills, just hearing the names)

I can dream, can't I?
Grinder
QUOTE (Meriss)
Heck release Shadows of Latin America on holostreets. That would make ME happy. Or as someone said more PDFs cyber.gif Yes PDFs would be nice. spin.gif

What is this Holostreets you're talking about? Home of Santa Claus and Elvis?

grinbig.gif
Deva
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)

*raises a hand, ducks for cover*

(Thanks the Fistandantilus3.0 boot camp! The place where you learn the importance of ducking.)
Ravor
Hey Demerzel, it could be worse, Kyoto Kid could start using my system of only refreshing a Single Point at a time. cyber.gif

Still, I'll second (Or is it Third...) the notice of releasing more old PFDs, preferably starting with Threats 2... wobble.gif

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Mar 27 2007, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Mar 27 2007, 03:10 PM)

I think your policy of edge refresh for every beer consumed is leading you down the path to alcoholism...

...leading...? grinbig.gif
NightmareX
Things I would like to see, preferably in the next few months, in the order in which I would like to see them.

1) Shadows of Latin America, on the SR webpage. (Screw Holostreets, they are obviously incapable of doing the simplest of tasks, such as creating a simple website.)

2) Previous edition PDF releases, starting with Shadows of Europe, Dragons of the Sixth World, Threats 2, etc etc etc. Free money for the net effort of making a PDF out of an old book = profit for FanPro/Wizkids/whoever

3) Additional material for the books (Runners Havens, Street Magic, etc) and web only material on the SR website. More website support equals happier fans, take a page from WotC's book (they have enough of them rolls eyes)

4) SR4 Conversions of old gear (including cyberdecks/matrix stuff) on the SR webpage, one book (or part thereof) at a time.

5) Augmentation. Before August. Please. Same goes for Emergence, but not so much.

Finally, I am of the opinion that if FanPro/WizKids/whoever needs more manpower to get things done, simply ask us (the fan base). I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be willing to do what I could for free to help accomplish the above goals presuming anything I could do would actually help.
Da9iel
QUOTE (nezumi)

QFT
tisoz
Gazing through the fog in my crystal ball, I predict a release at Origins and a second release coinciding with GenCon (Indy).
Grinder
Does anyone wonder that his crystal ball doesn't predict a year? biggrin.gif
Demonseed Elite
On the topic of website material:

The current licensing agreement between Wizkids and FanPro does not allow FanPro to publish digital-only supplements on their website. I'm not sure where the legal line comes down, since FanPro can publish errata on the website, but it is preventing FanPro from just putting SoLA on the website. Last I heard, Rob was discussing this with Wizkids to get it changed, since it really does bind us more than is practical this day and age.

On getting more freelancers:

FanPro is always looking for more freelancers. But to get new freelancers requires people to send in good submissions. They do want serious and skilled freelancers; adding freelancers who will require more editing effort or who will drop out of a project halfway through only make things more difficult than they are now.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ Mar 27 2007, 03:25 PM)
It's just I love Shadowrun so much, and it keeps hurting me.  I don't want to keep telling my FLGS owner I just "fell down the stairs..."

rotfl.gif

They do say that Love is a Battlefield.

Glad I'm no the only old timer on this board that knows his Pat Benatar.

biggrin.gif
apollo124
QUOTE (Meriss)

biggrin.gif YES, YES, YES biggrin.gif
JongWK
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
On the topic of website material:

The current licensing agreement between Wizkids and FanPro does not allow FanPro to publish digital-only supplements on their website. I'm not sure where the legal line comes down, since FanPro can publish errata on the website, but it is preventing FanPro from just putting SoLA on the website. Last I heard, Rob was discussing this with Wizkids to get it changed, since it really does bind us more than is practical this day and age.

I wonder where do Print-On-Demand books fit? Several publishers have gone that route, including the guys behind Earthdawn Classic.

Maybe a very limited edition of SoLA, and only then sell the PDF?

indifferent.gif
Meriss
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Things I would like to see, preferably in the next few months, in the order in which I would like to see them.

1) Shadows of Latin America, on the SR webpage. (Screw Holostreets, they are obviously incapable of doing the simplest of tasks, such as creating a simple website.)

2) Previous edition PDF releases, starting with Shadows of Europe, Dragons of the Sixth World, Threats 2, etc etc etc. Free money for the net effort of making a PDF out of an old book = profit for FanPro/Wizkids/whoever

3) Additional material for the books (Runners Havens, Street Magic, etc) and web only material on the SR website. More website support equals happier fans, take a page from WotC's book (they have enough of them rolls eyes)

4) SR4 Conversions of old gear (including cyberdecks/matrix stuff) on the SR webpage, one book (or part thereof) at a time.

5) Augmentation. Before August. Please. Same goes for Emergence, but not so much.

Finally, I am of the opinion that if FanPro/WizKids/whoever needs more manpower to get things done, simply ask us (the fan base). I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be willing to do what I could for free to help accomplish the above goals presuming anything I could do would actually help.

/signed
Also, How many folks here would agree to help by making more Fan generated stuffs?
Heck I'm sure the Shadowrun Supplemental would love more SR4 stuffs. Right?
Grinder
QUOTE (JongWK)
I wonder where do Print-On-Demand books fit? Several publishers have gone that route, including the guys behind Earthdawn Classic.

Does it make a difference if a company decides to print all books at once or switches to print-on-demand? That's the interesting question here.
But it doesn't help us with SoLA: releasing as via Holostreets or via POD is the same - both has to be done.
fistandantilus4.0
Maybe if we just lock up AH in a room with a bunch of monkeys and type writers they can put out something to keep us busy while we wait.
Grinder
I don't think that Wizkids is lacking material (SoLA is finished since years), but somehow they don't get it manage to release it in time...

But locking AH up and force him to write some ED/SR-crossover stuff is still a great idea. biggrin.gif
Ancient History
Hrm? Oh, false alarm.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
On getting more freelancers:

FanPro is always looking for more freelancers. But to get new freelancers requires people to send in good submissions. They do want serious and skilled freelancers; adding freelancers who will require more editing effort or who will drop out of a project halfway through only make things more difficult than they are now.

That's the only prob - skilled. If people like SL James (who is a damn good writer IMO based on his fiction) are getting turned down, I'm totally screwed when it comes to chances of getting anything published, even just on the website.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012