Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manatech.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
renaissancefox
On page 12 of the Street Magic supplement, the sidebar makes mention of something called Manatech. The word seemingly appears no where else in that book, or the core book. Per the sidebar's definition, manatech is "technology that interacts with magic."

Have there been other references to manatech in any other canon?
Aristotle
I would guess this refers to technology like "Mage Sight Goggles" (pg 324, SR4). There have been a few gadgets in the past designed to help, or hinder/subdue, mages.
renaissancefox
Actually, I owe an apology. Apparently, when I searched the forums for mention of "manatech" I neglected to change the parameters to Any Date (instead of the last 30 day default).

This topic has already been covered.

Again, my apologies.
Thane36425
There used to be mention of Corps attempting to get magic and technology to work together, as in the create techno-magical machines. Canon also said they weren't having any luck. I haven't seen anything since, but I hadn't really be looking.
Ancient History
When you wish upon a star...
Abschalten
I've already been incorporating this idea of "manatech" into my ongoing Hong Kong campaign. Granted we have absolutely NO idea what manatech is going to turn out to be, I've already more or less established it to our group as technological devices that can (by means as of yet unknown) emulate or reproduce magical spells and effects.

Like a black ops death squad with armored suits that can cast at-will F:4 ImpInvis. Among other things.

It's pure speculation, but it's a fun concept to bat around nonetheless, at least until some real, established canon comes out on the idea.
Synner
Manatech in SR4 is still a relatively embryonic field. It most definitely won't include "industrial magic" (ie. devices that reproduce magical or spell-like effects). Rather manatech covers technological devices that utilize mana-sensitive elements(ie. normally biological organisms but ocassionally other things)—which circumvent the apparent opposition of magic and technology—to perform a specific function. For instance, manatech would include some things that have already been mentioned in SR canon such as astrally sensitive film, Deus' leeches, mage-cuffs, etc
Ravor
AND possibly the rumoured implants which go *BOOM* if a Mage tries to access his mojo...
Kyoto Kid
...I believe the Corporate Security Handbook had a couple "anti mage" countermeasures in the gear section like the aforementioned Mage Cuffs and the Mage Mask.
Ancient History
Or hey, y'know, cybermancy maybe.
Kyoto Kid
...ahh, nothing like a few cyberzombies to deal with those munched out PCs.... cyber.gif vegm.gif
Prime Mover
Or the old dreaded storyline...were have all our mages gone. Dante's "black box" project. To use mages brains attached to tech to be "astral security" drones.
2bit
Since mage masks are mentioned a few times in 4th ed. books but no stats have come out for them yet, I made this up for my Witch Hunt play-by-post game. Not even sure how close it comes to canon.
QUOTE (Witch Hunt)
Inside the case are four black hoods that look like sexual bondage gear. They come complete with gags, sealed up eyes, and a trode net. There are reinforced straps in several places for a tight fit.
My players knew right away what they were for, so I guess that's good smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...my SR4 version of the former bounty hunter Randi Rhodes has a couple too. Took the description and costs from the old Corporate Security Handbook
Synner667
I love this stuff !!

The merging of Magic and Tech brings up lovely thoughts..
..Spell enhanced Cyberware
..Spirits caught on a Skill Chip
..Spirits bound into machines

Some sources include..
..GURPS Cthulhupunk
..TORG Cyberpapacy
..Castle Falkenstein [even though it's Steampunk]

Just my thruppence..
Ancient History
QUOTE (Synner667)
I love this stuff !!

The merging of Magic and Tech brings up lovely thoughts..
..Spell enhanced Cyberware
..Spirits caught on a Skill Chip
..Spirits bound into machines

Some sources include..
..GURPS Cthulhupunk
..TORG Cyberpapacy
..Castle Falkenstein [even though it's Steampunk]

Just my thruppence..

Probably not, no, I thought we already had those in Street Magic (i.e. homunculi/vessels), no, really no, Hell no.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012