Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monofiliment Broom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
YQM
One of my characters (obviously the comic relief) is choosing to fight with a broom. The difference is that each bristle of the broom has been replace with monofiliment wire and the other side has been rigged with a spray valve that will spray a blinding smoke or powder of some sort. I was wondering how you guys will deal with the damage? While its shorter there are more of them (hundreds). Also the reach? A whip is two meters but a broom is 1.3 meters (yeah I measured) would you give that reach +1 or reach +2?
Kyoto Kid
...a melee version of the Roomsweeper biggrin.gif
iron_ic
Mono-broom? Craazy love.gif Comparing it to other weapons I'd rather give it +2 reach, though I'm not 100% sure.
@Kyoto Kid: ROFL biggrin.gif
knasser

If you got karma for insanity, that player just made a bundle.

For reach, I'd give it the same as the staff which is Reach +2. It's longer than most swords after all. For damage... tricky one. On the one hand there are tons of bristles, on the other hand I see a lot of the damage of the monowhip coming from wrapping around limbs and such. This weapon will simply be (forgive me) brushing the target. Possibly about 5P, maybe 6P.

I hope this character has a suitably daft name based on his weapon of choice. "I am... the SWEEPER!" I'm seeing shades of Mystery Men, here.

-K.
YQM
QUOTE (knasser)

For reach, I'd give it the same as the staff which is Reach +2. It's longer than most swords after all. For damage... tricky one. On the one hand there are tons of bristles, on the other hand I see a lot of the damage of the monowhip coming from wrapping around limbs and such. This weapon will simply be (forgive me) brushing the target. Possibly about 5P, maybe 6P.

I hope this character has a suitably daft name based on his weapon of choice. "I am... the SWEEPER!" I'm seeing shades of Mystery Men, here.

-K.

I thought about the wrapping but then I looked at that one wire that does 8P if you touch it without gloves and thats just while holding it and figured that the damage couldn't be based on wrapping or it would have to be more then just touching.
knasser
QUOTE (YQM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 19 2007, 03:55 PM)

-K.

I thought about the wrapping but then I looked at that one wire that does 8P if you touch it without gloves and thats just while holding it and figured that the damage couldn't be based on wrapping or it would have to be more then just touching.

I'm probably bringing too much real world feasability into it. But I think a monofilament (do they mean monomolecular?) whip would require pressure to actually cut through anything. After all, that's what the weighted tip is for. If you rest a razor blade edge down on your hand, it doesn't start sinking into the flesh, you have to put pressure on it. And a monofilament strand may be sharper (I don't know), but it's probably even lighter, too. With a broom version, you're effectively dragging the strands across your opponents body. I think that will leave a lot of very nasty paper cuts, but without a weight on the other end of those strands so that it gets pulled over the flesh from both ends to produce pressure, I don't think it will do as much damage as the whip would. I think monofilaments would also be a lot thinner and more flexible than brush bristles. It would be like being swabbed with the angora rabbit of death!

What you really want, I think, is a Shock Mop!
YQM
While I like the shock idea (oh there will be a charger in it now!) Its not like rubbing it in my mind because it seems like I would be bringing it down. Ask someone to hit you hard in in the arm with a broom. Even now it kinda hurts and makes you itchy.

Also if the tips were heavier it could be used to make the broom wrap slightly wrap around the arm or neck of the person.
Jaid
QUOTE (YQM)

yes. a microwire with the weight of an entire human body on it deals 8P damage. it probably also slices off your fingers in the process, along with a good chunk of your hand.

i agree that the weighted tip is an essential feature of the monowhip, and without that the monowhip wouldn't work at all.
Cain
(do they mean monomolecular?)

It's been generally agreed that, despite all scientific evidence to the contrary, they are referring to a braided buckytube line.
Big D
MY MOP!!!!!

*runs*
Kyoto Kid
...I can see it now....

...and now another episode of Samurai Janitor.... silly.gif
Cripplemronion
Nice UHF reference.
bigdrewp
Why not just make the broom out of microwire, instead of monofilament. It would have a little bit more rigidity to it, and still be deadly. The monofilament to me just seems to light to do anything without a weighted end, and at a short length like you find on a broom, you aren't really going to benefit from the whipping action of, well, a whip.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 19 2007, 05:21 PM)
(do they mean monomolecular?)

It's been generally agreed that, despite all scientific evidence to the contrary, they are referring to a braided buckytube line.

Many brands of fishing lines are Monofilament but you don't see me or anyone else cutting peoples heads off with it.

For some reason in science fiction they take it to the next level of monomolecular.
(one of the earlier edition SR books had a quote like the one above but they used shoe lace, instead of fishing line).

The weapon still requires tension. You don't get 8P damage for holding micowire with out the special gloves you get 8P damage for trying to climb it with out the gloves.

One problem the broom faces is concealment. You can't hide that under clothing as it rip it to shreds and I don't think it could retract the bristles. The mono-whip retracts into its handle for easy concealment. Hell you can hide it in a cyberfinger.

Lets remember this is science fiction. And its not science fiction if you don't BREAK the laws of physics. But that doesn't mean you should just be ridicules.
knasser
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Apr 20 2007, 06:00 PM)
One problem the broom faces is concealment.

Are you serious?!?!??!?

Guard: You're not a Shadowrunner in disguise, are you? We wouldn't want anyone sneaking weapons in here.
Character: Me? No, I'm just a humble janitor with a humble broom, humbly humbling along. You don't need to worry about me, Mr. Guard, Sir. Now if you don't mind I have some humble sweeping to do in the CEO's office.
Demerzel
When I play I shoot, in this order:

Secretaries
Janitors
Guards

The SecMage is always disguised as a Secretary or a Janitor.
YQM
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

One problem the broom faces is concealment. You can't hide that under clothing as it rip it to shreds and I don't think it could retract the bristles. The mono-whip retracts into its handle for easy concealment. Hell you can hide it in a cyberfinger.

The filament goes back into the brooms shaft and is replaced by normal bristles so it looks amazingly like a regular broom.
Baphomet69
QUOTE (YQM @ Apr 20 2007, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Apr 20 2007, 01:00 PM)

The filament goes back into the brooms shaft and is replaced by normal bristles so it looks amazingly like a regular broom.

Now that's just silly!

Er, well, relatively speaking, of course. In the context of the whole monofilament broom thingy... eek.gif

wink.gif
Dread Polack
I think you'd need some sort of weight on the end of each bristle, which could could be a very dense, but still small metal tip. Monofilament isn't very rigid, as I understand it, so if you hold the broom horizontally, the bristles will hang directly downward. You could probably apply a "charge" of some sort that would hold them rigid. You could also have the monofilaments scattered among normal bristles, so it would look like a normal broom. You could retract the normal bristles into the handle, leaving the monofilaments out for killing.

Whipping it at someone would probably put a million bleeding papercuts. I don't know how lethal that would be. I don't think the weight would be enough to cut through armor, so I'd probably give it a +AP value. Luckily, the monofilaments won't reach back to you, holding onto the end of the handle, so you don't have the nasty "self-decapitation" problem you get with a standard monowhip.

Yep, that's pretty damn silly. P

Dread Polack
odinson
What about having a broom/ monofilament whip combo. It looks like a regular broom but then with the press of a button 9 long monofilament strands extend out a meter, giving you a cat-o-nine tails. The strands would be weighted of course, and you could just use the stats for the whip as the weapon would be similar enough. You would also have the concealability factor you were going for.
hyzmarca
Well, we already have mops thhat retract into the handle. A broom that does do wouldn't be too silly.
knasser

We're probably going about this the wrong way. Surely there are contact poisons that could be applied to the broom. Then the shallowness of the cuts wouldn't be a problem, they'd be sufficient to get the poison into the body.
hyzmarca
Wouldn't a long-handled basting brush be more appropriate for the application of deadly contact toxins?
Demerzel
Take note the basting brush shown is MONOFILIMENT!
Kyoto Kid
...lends a whole new spin on the Iron Chef... cyber.gif

...man I'm getting some real twisted character concepts here...grinbig.gif

MaxHunter
gee... I am starting to miss the drop bears!

Cheers?

Max
toturi
As long as the PC gets Exotic Melee weapon to use with the broom, I'd be fine with that.
The Entropic Wizard
I can already see the corps picking up on this:

Now, Ares Arms has developed a complete security-in-disguise system! Security personnel are disguised as regular maintenance employees, but with a lethal secret weapon!

We now offer:
Mono brooms, mono mops, mono featherdusters, and mono brushes! Act now! wobble.gif
Kyoto Kid
...and just think what might be in those spray bottles of Formula 409...
knasser
QUOTE (The Entropic Wizard @ Apr 21 2007, 03:02 AM)
Now, Ares Arms has developed a complete security-in-disguise system! Security personnel are disguised as regular maintenance employees, but with a lethal secret weapon!

I wonder if you could get them in a complete set, sort of the Ares Assasination Accessory Pack. It would include a nano-paper id card with a pre-programmed range of corp logos, janitor outfit, mono-broom, a five-bottle selection set of tastless ingestible poisons and a Dummy's Guide to Wetwork.

Could be a good seller. smile.gif
Magus
Nadjia in a French Maid outfit..........yum. Complete with a mono filiament Assassination Pack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012