Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stranger than Reality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SinN
Link to OOC

Vaughn is just waking up in bed to most annoying thing he can think of, his phone. Once he anwsers with a muffled, just woke up hello, the response is almost to much to bear.
Vaughn! What are you doing?! You were supposed to be here a half an hour ago!
It was the cheif...
Listen Vaughn, I got a new case for you to work on. A young girl went missing two days ago, and her car was just found at the harbor. I want you to get down there now, and give me some awnsers. Disconects.
fistandantilus4.0
Fucking hell, I hate it when they just hang up.

Vaughn sits up in bed, taossing his commlink across the room again. After buying his third replacement, he now places them in a rubber wrap before he goes to bed. He 'link bounces off the wall. Looking to the left, he sees the rest of the bed empty.
Always some place to bounce off to lately. Life never seems to hold still for us. He zombie-walks to the shower, pulling up his AR display as he goes. The benefit to having cyber before learning magic is that therre's no aversion to getting a datajack. Meaning he can key up his comlink from the shower.

It also means the shower is already running for him by the time he reaches the bathroom, and hot by the time he fininshes answering nature. Funny how a lot of synth-ahol the night before makes for more nature later.

He keys up coffe and breakfast on his auto chef from the shower, than starts seding out order in to the matrix to the LoneStar PD host system. The standard lsit of requisition orders mostly.

Lesse, missign for two days, that means that missing persons should have a file already..... We'll need that to get started.. then the standard list...
  • credit report for vic
  • list of aliases
  • last weeks spending history
  • address, SIN, car registry, commlnik info
  • any known priors
  • work intel for vic
  • surveillance fro mcity drones/camera in are from 48 hrs prior to dissapearance to now
  • list of family/next of kin of vic
  • last known location of vic
  • lsit of commcalls to/from vic's 'link 48 hrs prior to dissapearance until now

That outta do for starters...

Vaughn climbs out of the shower, throwing on some pants. He quickly casta clean spell, assuming they're dirty since he rarely does laundry and the laundry drone needs fixing. Once that's done, he sends out a missive to Rowen.

Rowen, I need you to get down to this harbor site, and scan the are for astral impressions. I don't want to take the chance at missing anything while I'm fighting through traffic.

He dresses quickly, grabs his commlink, shucking off the rubber padding, and puts on his Thunderbolt in the underarm holster.

Why the hell do impoertnat cases always begin first thing in the morning? Why can't they hit at midnight when I'm still up?!

He has a cigarette on the way down to his car, keying up the start command on the way, and plottting a route on the autopliot, putting in a request to GridGuide for an expedited driving corridor for Police Business.

Who knows, they might actually do it this time.

He places a quick call, hoping it gets through. The time differnce in France is always a killer.

Who knows, maybe if I ask Morgan how my day's going to be, she'll have a positive reading for me. Or maybe some info on the case. Worth a shot.

As the phone rings, he steps out of the elevator, and into his car, already driving up to pick him up, door opening for him. He climbs in.

Lady Door
As Morgan:

The phone barely rings before Morgan's smiling face greets Vaughn's.

Well, hello, Detective. Big case?
Morgan's face is impeccably made up, her hair wound up into an elegant updo that must be staying up solely by the grace of God. From what Vaughn can see she's wearing a low cut blue satin gown of some kind, a sapphire and diamond necklace around her neck.
fistandantilus4.0
Morning Liv. Don't really know yet. Maybe you do? He says it with a joking smile. Olivia, Liv, also known as "Morgan" in certain circles, is by far one of the best diviners Vuaghn's ever knwon. The fact that he does in fact know quite a few powerful diviners, one of which a certain dragon the Liv answers to, certainly makes it a strong reccomendation.

Been awhile, thought I'd give you a call, see what my day was going to be like. Maybe see when you're going to be back in the States to, since it's going to be a while since I have anything remotely resembling a travel budget again, much less time off.

Vaugh stubs his cigarette out in the ashtray. She might not look it right now, but Liv is a worst smoker than he is. Wouldn't be nice to get her on a craving while she's at some ball.
Lady Door
As Cole:

Cole wakes up moments before her alarm goes off at 5 a.m. With a smile she sits up and slides out of bed, slipping her feet into the pair of terrycloth slippers waiting for her.
Looking around, she calls for A.J. as she dresses, slipping on a pair of track pants, a hooded sweatshirt from her Pepperdine days and a pair of wellworn running shoes.
She smiles as the massive pitbull comes bounding in, leash in his mouth already.
Good boy, let's go.
She secures the leash to his collar and heads out of the bedroom door, grabbing her commlink and a bottle of water from the fridge on her way.
Heading out the door, she locks it behind her with a command to her AR and then logs on to the Seattle Lone Star divisions' Internal Case Management System. Changing over to her internal commlink system, Cole continues reviewing the case.
Let's see... missing persons' case. Young girl, missing for approx. 48 hours. Vehicle found near the harbor. Okay, let's see... Cole checks the alert system, noting that Det. Vaughn has not yet been notified. It's still a little early for him. I'll get started with what I can. Cole brings up the AR selection menu for Warrants, Affidavits and Requests for Action/Service Requests. Cole puts through a quick Request for Service Request through Grid Guide, noting that she's going to need to have a listing of everywhere that car has been for the last week, with a detailed report on the last 72 hours. Cole also puts through a Request for Service on the missing person's commlink and account history, with a note requesting detailed intel on when and if the missing womans' account has been accessed within the last 24 hours. Finally, she reviews the board for the Missing Persons' report, noting who filed it and when.
That finished, Cole switches her attention back to the walk with A.J. She starts out with a slow jog, building up to a smooth run. When she's finished her 5 miles she heads back home.
Back inside, she feeds A.J and herself (a healthy three-egg omelete with red peppers and tomato), then does some stretching while checking the weather and news on the trid. More rain... why did I come back here again?
Cole washes her dishes quickly and then heads for the shower. Once she's out, she dresses: black slacks, black high heels, and a dark grey turtleneck. She twists her hair up and pins it into place. Checking her reflection, she smiles and adds her service pistol in it's usual underarm holster. She also snaps her commlink into place on her belt. Grabbing her black overcoat and briefcase, she heads for the door calling AJ with her.
C'mon baby. Time to go.
Heading out the door she slides on her overcoat and grabs her umbrella from it's stand. She slides A.J.'s leash back on and heads out. Once again, locking the door from the AR.
On her way to work, she grabs a cup of coffee and drops A.J. off at the day kennel. Sipping at her coffee, she navigates the GridSec system and slides in a request for an expedited route along with her credentials. With the route approved, Cole slips the autonav system on and leans back to sip her coffee and read the Wall Street Times.
Within 20 minutes, she's pulling into the below ground garage. She smiles to herself when she notes Vaughn's empty parking spot. Checking the time, Cole notes that she's about ten minutes early.
Lady Door
Morgan a.k.a Olivia Loren smiles.
I'm planning on heading out your way in two weeks actually. I'll be flying to California but I'm sure I can make my way to you. I'd love to see you again. As for what your day holds, I'll have to get back to you. Right now, my mind is clouded with what I've had to do here. Give me another hour, the party is winding down and I can head home. Get some fresh air. She says the last part with an ironic smile, looking down at where Vaughn's cigarette disappeared to.
GM Note
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
No problem Liv. Sorry I hadn't really thought about the time difference .Give me a ring when you've got some time.See ya.

Letting the autonav do the driving,Vaughn starts going over whattever Missing Persons Division has on the girl's case so far, not wanting to end up requesting information he might alreayd have and adding to the workload. He keys his autonav to head straight for the site bypassing HQ entirely.

No point in checking in, Mike made it clear he wants any news ASAP. So I'll go get him some. Better give Cole a call, let her know there's no need to wait by the office. Too bad though, today's Veronica's short skirt day. Now there's a complicatoin I hadn't thought about in a while.

....wonder if Cole's wearing heels again...

Absently, he places a quick call to Cole's 'link.

Lady Door
Cole answers on the second ring.
Detective Cole. From the look of it, she's already at the office.
fistandantilus4.0
Really Cole, who else would pick up your commlink?

Ok ,so you're in the office. I'm headed to the scene with the car directly. I'll forward you a list of my requisitions so far, save us time running over each other's toes. You know anything intersting so far, like why we have this case? We usually only have the big stuff. Was this girl somebody important's daughter or something?
Lady Door
Cole sighs, rolls her eyes and then laughs.
It's called decorum, Detective Vaughn. You might want to try it sometime. And since I know I've been up longer then you, why don't I tell you what I've already requitionshed and had approved. Right now, I'm waiting on the Gridsec report of the missing woman's car, with a detailed report of the last 72 hours. I'm also waiting on her commlink and accounts report, but you know how the guys in Information Retrieval are first thing in the morning, and yes, before you ask I have already bribed them with the requisite coffee and donuts.. though apparently, I don't get them from the "good place" you do. Cole sighs and rolls her eyes again. Right now, I've been reviewing the missing persons' report, but I can do that on my way to you. I'll head out now and meet with you at the site. From what I've heard, no astral recon has been sent yet. Do you want me to put through the request or do you want to call Lt. Hernandez? Cole smiles sweetly.
fistandantilus4.0
I've already got an astral recon out there. Doesn't matter if you show up late in the game. Just matters how good you bat when you get there. wink.gif

Look over the case file. It'll be better if we've both read it so we can compare notes on what the hell those MP guys are trying to say. I'll see you when oyu get here.

Oh, and they like mine beter because I put extra sugar in it, and get the donuts with the sprinkles. That and I show them pictures of my girlfriend. Maybe you have a cute single friend you could chat about or something.

Anyway, I'll see you there if there's nothing else.
Lady Door
Cole rolls her eyes and nods. I'll finish reviewing the file and meet you there. I can make it there in about 20. I'll pick us up some coffee. From the way the Lt. is pacing in his office... I think it's going to be a long day.
fistandantilus4.0
I've got coffee, but I could really go for a good soycaf from the diner on 7th. Don't worry about the lieutenant. He can't yell at me, we're the same rank. So just get over here and out of his line of sight, and you'll be fine.

See you when you get here.

Vaughn disconnects, then checks in with Rowen.

Rowen, any progress yet on the astral recon on that site?
SinN
Rowen to Vaughn:
A little, Backround count of One. No more or less usual. Would you like to know anything else?

Vaughn/Cole
A few moments later your com beeps with a missing persons report/Photos included.

Gabby Is African American, hair usually braided. Small nose, petite face. Brown Eyes. Does very well in School. Known as the "Mother" to her friends.
Report On missing person(s): Gabby Spencer
Last seen with: Lindsey Harwin(also missing; see other side)
Sex: Female
Missing Since: 4/16/20XX
[ Spoiler ]

Vehicle make: A 2054 Geo Prizm
Color:White w/ a bit of rust
Tattoos: N/A
Peircings:N/A
Daughter/Son of: Alicen and Frank Spencer
(other Side)

Lindsey is White with long brunnette hair worn down past her shoulders. Very pretty for her age. She has a nose peircing. Usually gets into trouble at her school. Best Friends with Gabby, who usually keeps her in line.
Report On missing person(s):Lindsey Harwin
Last seen with Gabby Spencer
Age- 16
Sex: Female
Missing Since: 4/16/20XX
Tattoos: N/A
Peircings: Nose, Both Ears.
Daughter/Son of: Janine Jacobson, and Jimmy Harwin
fistandantilus4.0
Rowan, besides the general back gorund count, let me knwo the feel of the place. Also look for any sigantures on the astral. Spells, spirits, the usual.

I'll be there in about 20 minutes.
SinN
Okay boss, Ill have that ready for you when you get here.

The drive is boring. You have the radio on. You hear random songs for the 60's (2060's that is) and some commercials for hairloss, or a free waxing, then one about a new S&M club that just opened in Seattle called Bahutara.

You arrive precicely 20 minutes later. Good timing.

Rowen is waiting near the scene.
Theres a tow truck pulling the car out of the water. The driver of the tow truck is a Heavily tattooed and peirced man. Black hair and a gotee.
Rowen aproaches
Hey boss, I did a more therough search. I did get something. Theres some feeling of saddness, and a little bit of regret. Thats all I could feel. It was faint, so it was kind of diffacult.
Plan B
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Good, thaks, that could be important.

Vaugh quickly takes a few shots of the area with astral film, then calls up Cole on his AR.

Cole, I'm at the scene. Any news fat HQ? What's your ETA?

Lady Door
Nothing for the moment. I have an ear on dispatch though. I'll let you know if I hear anything before I reach you. I'm just exiting the freeway, I should be to you within five. What have you got?
fistandantilus4.0
So far, back ground count 1, feelings of sadness, a bit of regret. First guess, I'd say the missing friend might be involved in the dump. But we'll see. I've got some astral photos..

I'll see you when you get here, and hopefully have a bit more to go on. They're still dragging the car out.
Lady Door
Do we have a Forensics team onsite yet? If not, make sure NO ONE touches that car. Even Rowan, astrally. We're going to need that car preserved with the water intact inside it. Anything can be a clue.
fistandantilus4.0
They're not here yet. I'm securing the scene.. I'll wait for you here.

SinN
Cole
Your exiting the free way putting down your radio, when a car cuts you off. It looks like a carful of your basic streetpunks. Jet Black tunes blair from the speakers, as you hear one of them shout: Get the fuck out of the way pig!
They knick the front-right side of your car, and speeds ahead.
Lady Door
Cole sighs, downloads their plate information from GridSec and designates a patrol cop and partner (for safety's sake) to track the group. She then enables a LS patrol drone to track the group and report to the assigned patrol team.
Setting her coffee down, she pulls up the Accident Report host and files a report, noting the incident and her request for a patrol team.
At least I don't have to pay for it. Still.. kids get dumber and dumber each year. I should have the car checked out too. It's Nav System should have steered us clear of the collision. Cole enters her information into LS's Fleet Repair database. Now I just have to wait for them to be able to slot me in.
Cole sighs again and checks her rearview, tucking a fallen strand of hair back into place.
SinN
The report goes through with out any problems.
Then a voice comes over the radio:
Detective Cole, this is Officer James Macabry, Im just confirming your report of a reckless driver on exit 284, is this correct mamn?
Lady Door
Yes, Detective Macabry. Please be advised: black Chrysler sedan, occupants are three juveniles. I have their profiles already downloaded to Grid Sec. Please respond. They're driving erratically. Make sure you get them off of the street before they kill someone.
SinN
Yes mam Detective Cole, we are in Pursuit of the suspects now. We'll keep you posted. Over and out.

The rest of the drive is boring after that. You get to the scene. Vaughn is staring at the car that they are just now gettin out of the harbor.
You take a quick glance of the gash in the side of the car.
Painful
Lady Door
While in route, Cole contacts Forensics.
Good morning, Officer Goodman. What's the ETA on your Criminalistics team to the car dump site?
fistandantilus4.0
Vaugn walks over to Cole, amused t osee her in heels again.

Morning Detective. Bring me that soycafe by chance?

Still waiting on forensices looks like. I've just been going over the ground. Recording tire tacks, looking for anything out of place. Standard.

Something wrong with your car?
Lady Door
Nodding at Vaughn, she holds up a hand and indicates that she's on the phone. As soon as she's finished she snaps the commlink closed and then slips it back into place on her belt. She takes a sip of her coffee, and surveys the damage to her car.
Some future juvenile hall inmates decided to play chicken with me on the road. She shakes her head and smiles. I spoke with Officer Goodman in Criminalistics. He said that the forensics team would be here shortly. In the meantime, we'd better at least get a look through that window, see if we're going to need the Coroner on site. Cole's face looks pained at the last part.
She sets her coffee down on the hood of her car and moves toward the tow truck.
fistandantilus4.0
Vaughn, noticing a distinct lack of soycafe , follows, suing his cyber eyes to magnify the car, and look for smaller details in the ground as well, all the while recording.
SinN
Vaughn/Cole
Nothing out of the ordinary. Just your simple teenager's car. Bad paintjob, couple of dents and scratches from the "accidental" mishaps. Water is pouring from the car as the tow truck pulls it from the harbor. As the water flows. You see something pass by a crack in the Trunk,( Basicly the car is old and crappy and the trunk comes up a bit, like shes been tail gated) Then pass by again. As if something floating.
Lady Door
*sigh* I hate this part of the job.
Cole picks up her commlink and calls into dispatch.
Route me through to the Forensics team, please. While she's on the phone, she keeps a close eye on everyone to make sure no one even comes close to approaching that vehicle.
SinN
It takes a moment, but the call is patched.
This is Jimmy.
Lady Door
Jimmy. This is Detective Cole, what's your ETA on my position?
Cole's eyes search the horizon, doublechecking that there are no news vans or media drones circling the area.
The last thing I need is for the victims family to be watching this.
Vaughn, is the perimeter secured?
fistandantilus4.0
I grabbe a couple of Strato-9's, they're doing the outer perimeter. Myself and the officer on scene have had the inner perimiter blocked off

Now that he has someone else there to keep an eye on the car, Vaughn starts using his cyberyees enhanced optics to magnify the gorund, looking for the vehicle's tire tracks, any and all footprints, etc. Using his cyber comm, he highlights each set that he finds in a differnet color code, using the magnifying optics to differentiate them by the shoe tred. He also compres the tow trucks and cars tires to differentiate and confirm thier tire tracks, and look for any other vehicle ted or foot prints within a 30 meter (appx 100 feet) radius from the dump site.
SinN
Cole
Almost there Detective Cole. No more than 4 minutes.

Vaughn
Roll perception+ intuition. + 3 for the cyber eyes.
Lady Door
Cole turns back to Vaughn and speaks in a low whisper, out of earshot of the truck driver.
Did you catch the movement in the trunk? I think we may have a body to deal with. When Forensics gets here we need to make sure we have screens up before we pop it. I don't want any of this leaking out ot the press before we have a chance to alert the victims' family if we do find anything.

fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]

No I was ... uhh... looking at the ground. I can see if any of the Stros can put up some sort of AR screen.

Vaugh checks with the rotodrones to see if they're able to project a wider "Police Line DO NOT CROSS" inorder to obsrtuct the view of the crime scene from any passerbys.
SinN
Vaughn
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Cole, I've got some boot prints

Vaughn photographs them with his cybereyes, zooming in for detail and highlighting them. He tracks the foot prints , setting up the high lights on the AR. Also takes a look at the tow truck driver's tracks to make sure they're different.
SinN
Toe truck drivers shoes look like sneakers. No where near the sole for these. It appears to not have a source of entrance, so you know the source of the foot prints didnt walk here, but they left that way. The prints walk down the harbor and to the first stair well leading to the street.

The Forensics team shows up just shortly after. They Aproach Vaughn and Cole
Sir. Mam'n. Whats the situation?
Lady Door
Run them through the database. See if we can get a hit on the type of shoe. Might narrow down our suspect list. Cole walks over to the tow truck driver.
Thank you for your help. The department will take care of the payment. Just send in your invoice. She smiles. You know the drill. She signs the copy he presents to her and then runs his ID.
Oh, and before you leave.. we're going to need to get impressions of your boots.... so we can rule them out when we start looking at the footprints.
Cole pulls out a jar of nanopaste and a small paint roller from her kit, rolling it over the drivers' boots. She then pulls up a small screen on the AR and maneuvers it to rest right above ground level.
Step there, please... Perfect. Thank you. Have a nice day, sir. Cole smiles again and saves the AR print, attaching the drivers' ID tag to it.
Putting her kit away, she wanders back over to Vaughn.
fistandantilus4.0
Good idea, I suppose I can just scan it in and send it off.

Vaughn scans the print with his magnified vision, and downloads it in to his commlink, then sends the file over to the forensics lab for IDing.

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
The Forensics team shows up just shortly after. They Aproach Vaughn and Cole
Sir. Mam'n. Whats the situation?
Lady Door
Cole looks annoyed.
Officer... Jimmy, was it? If you had scanned the report as is procedure, you would already know the specifics of the case. As it is, we are investigating the disappearance of two young women. This is the vehicle of one of the women in question. We need a full scan and report immediately. We believe there may be something in the trunk.
Cole's mouth is set in a firm line. From their months working together, Vaughn understands her anger. If there's anything that Cole hates in a Lone Star officer, it's failure to follow procedure.
SinN
The Man looks annoyed, then as if relizing just who he's talking too.
Alright. Yes miss. Very sorry. We'll got on that right away.
The man gets to his team and begins shouting orders.
Forensics gets around the car and the scene, working their way around. Looking for anything that might give them a clue.
Lady Door
Cole sighs and then instigates the AR screens. (Basically, screens that disrupt any sort of drone or recording device that could try and record what's going on with the vehicle. Used to keep media and snoops out of crime scenes.) The outside of the area is now blanketed in giant yellow screens slowly revolving the words: Caution. Police Line. Do Not Cross.
fistandantilus4.0
Vaugn laughs a bit, mostly at himself. Thanks, I was stuck at the damn options menu.

He stops fiddling with the Strato's controls, and goes back to looking over the scene. He gives the area around the foot prints a sniff with his boosted cyber olfactory sensors to see if there is still a scent.
SinN
Everything is going as prodocall. Then team hasnt popped the trunk yet, waiting for the ok, and on top of that, they're finding a few other things.
Vaughn and Cole are insuring that they're are no on-lookers when Vaughns com rings. The number shows up.
Its Morgan.
fistandantilus4.0
Go ahead Liv.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012