Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Masking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
6thDragon
Has anyone else noticed that the metamagic Maksing just got a whole lot more difficult to penetrate in SR4 than it has been in past editions. If my memory serves me right, a big if on some days, the character trying to penetrate the mask had some kind of bonus based on their initiate grade. Now only the Masking character gets a bonus from their initiate grade. It also gives the masking character the option of assuming the appearance of a mundane or a magic higher or lower than it actually is, or an astral creature. I assume this means spirit, but is that only when you're astrally projecting? Does this mean you could pass yourself off as a dragon when in Astral Space devil.gif ? I guess the game designers decided to make this ore powerful under this edition. However it doesn't cover foci or spell like it use to unless you also purchase the appropriate metamagic.
fistandantilus4.0
One thing I did to level the playing field a bit was introducing a metamagic called Unveiling. Basically it's extra dice to use on astral perception tests to break Masking and False Signature. It works just fine for regular assensing as well, It's just that those are the things you'll really need the extra dice for.
Xenith
Funny thing about the extended masking is that it allows for some scary stealth magicians. Not only can you truly look mundane, you basically gain the ability to sneak around with invisibility without becoming an astral beacon.

A magician that can escape the notice of another astrally perceiving person is indeed very frightening.

Edit: As a side note, the Masking power also allows you you lie far more effectively, or at least conceal the lie to a surprising degree. Reminds me of a certain Talon novel.
Wasabi
Is it legal to change auras so a troll mage appears as an astral mouse to reduce his aura's perceived size?
6thDragon
Adding another metamagic seams too much just to counter masking. I mean if all you get is a few other dice to counter other metamagics, it doesn't seam like enough. Maybe I'm just venting. It seams like they made it much more powerful by making it veryhard to penetrate, but also weeker at the same time by making the extended masking. Yeah, you could make incredible use of extended masking with spells like physical mask. Anyway, the posibilities are endless.
fistandantilus4.0
I agree that masking is too tough to break, especially once you get a few grades on there. But honestly I'd rather add in another metamagic to the game, reflecting advances in thaumaturgy, then rework an existing one.
DigitEyez
I like the idea of Unveiling. I'm going to allow it in my campaign.
Thanks, fistandantilus3.0
Ravor
Seconded DigitEyez.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (DigitEyez)
I like the idea of Unveiling. I'm going to allow it in my campaign.
Thanks, fistandantilus3.0

No problem. I got the idea of new metamagics from Ellery's list a while back. It makes things more interesting if there are some rare metamagics out there that people don't always recognize and can't always plan for. This goes for both PCs and NPCs.
bibliophile20
Thirded.
6thDragon
Does your new metamagic Unveiling give anything to help penetrate illusion spells or other forms of magical concealment, such as the critter power that is commonly used by spirits? If so, I definately say it's worth it.
Jaid
he said it "works fine for regular assensing too" which leads me to assume it's basically bonus dice to assensing, as opposed to simply bonus dice to penetrate masking.
fistandantilus4.0
Correct. It adds the initiates grade in dice to any assensing tests, using a complex action.
wilcoxon
Which seems too powerful to me. An initiate with a few grades and Unveiling starts becoming the astral equivalent of the perception adept. If the GM wants even a chance of something magic remaining hidden, it requires an initiate with other metamagics to have cast it.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (wilcoxon)
Which seems too powerful to me. An initiate with a few grades and Unveiling starts becoming the astral equivalent of the perception adept. If the GM wants even a chance of something magic remaining hidden, it requires an initiate with other metamagics to have cast it.

There's an old saying about the technological race between Warhead and Armor and how the Warhead usually wins. I think the same thing can be said nowadays, and in Shadowrun, about the race between Stealth and Sensor and how the Sensor usually wins.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (wilcoxon @ Apr 28 2007, 11:04 AM)
Which seems too powerful to me.  An initiate with a few grades and Unveiling starts becoming the astral equivalent of the perception adept.  If the GM wants even a chance of something magic remaining hidden, it requires an initiate with other metamagics to have cast it.

Mages have almost always been initiate vs initiate. The guy with a few grades is always going to have the advantege. That's the point.

Right now, as was mentioned at the head of this thread, masking is very far ahead of any means to break it. How many successes does it usually take to find something about a magic item anyway? The most you ever need for successes on assensing is 5. You get to a certain point in initiation using the normal skill cap rules, and it's unbreakable.

As an example, say you've got someone with max assesensing of 7
Intuition of 6
And we'll say specialized in Aura reading.
15 dice. That gives a quick average of 5 successes.

Then you get say a 3rd grade initiate who's built his magic up to 9.
Add an intuition of 4.
That gives you 16.

So you've got the best of the best in assensing vs a strong mage, with good intuition, and they'll be breaking even on average, without use of edge. Now how does that make sense? Best you can be at assensing, vs Very good, and they break even. Then there's masking foci (pg 85 SM). Adds their rating to masking. You have a stong mage putting a little effort in to masking (Masking Foci 3) and now they're likely to beat the best assenser (Unless they have Dark King for a Mentor Spirit).
knasser
I like masking to have the edge. It's more productive to the game that way, I feel. My reasons are twofold. Firstly, in the absence of the ability to penetrate a masked aura, players are required to fall back on good old fashioned detective work, subterfuge, spying... that sort of stuff. With the ability to penetrate masking, my only hope of pulling off some mystery is to have the villains unrealistically initiated up the wazoo.
Secondly, I want the players to be able to pull off their own masking. Compared to metamagics such as centering and anchoring, it's a fairly indirect and weak power, chosen by players who want to think, and I don't think it should be undermined.

It shouldn't be an arms race between masker and watcher. That's the D&D approach where whoever has the biggest rock wins. In Shadowrun, you also come up against paper and scissor and that's the way I like it. It makes things interesting. Balance of power = dull. Uncertainty = GM heaven.

My thoughts,

-K.
fistandantilus4.0
Easy answer : Masking Foci
Wasabi
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

QFT
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 28 2007, 05:28 PM)

Too easy, and too glib. Doesn't this bring us back to square one, with those that feel masking is too powerful? Unless of course you then introduce Assensing Foci of some sort. Which I suppose would be square zero.

So for those that want masking to be balanced by some new perceiving foci, you'll need some sort of boost to perceiver's side. For myself, who likes things as they are, masking foci are just a solution to a problem that we ourselves are creating, and it's much cleaner not to create the situation in the first place.

The availability of strong masking opens lots of plot doors. Easy counters close them.

-K.
6thDragon
The more I think about it the more I like Unveiling as a metamagic. I think if you round it out by making it help penetrate illusions and see others who have spirits concealing them, all the better. Plus, if a character really wants to trust his own eyesight/assensing abilities then they should take it. However, at low levels, it still won't give hugh advantages. Personally I think it would be good for those more experienced characters or NPCs. I think any dragon worth his skin would take this, so they are not fooled by mere mortals. Otherwise you'd have anyone taking masking and walking around looking like whatever they want because no one can see through the mask. If they really enjoy their privacy, let them take the masking foci.
wilcoxon
6thDragon got me thinking. I don't like Unveiling as just giving straight dice to assensing. However, here's a variant of Unveiling I like (at least on first thought).

Unveiling helps an initiate pierce the veil of deception. It offsets penalties due to illusion and masking. I'm undecided on if this should be bonus dice or straight reduction (for Masking). So, Unveiling grade 3 vs Masking grade 4 would either be +3 dice on assensing against a threshold 4 higher or normal dice against a threshold 1 higher (bonus would only apply when trying to penetrate masking). It would also reduce the penalty to perception from concealment, camouflage (spell), and the like. Straight grade reduction might be too much (since concealment is limited by force of spirit and spells are limited by force and net hits) - maybe grade/2 dice bonus on penetrating such effects?
Jaid
QUOTE (wilcoxon)
6thDragon got me thinking. I don't like Unveiling as just giving straight dice to assensing. However, here's a variant of Unveiling I like (at least on first thought).

Unveiling helps an initiate pierce the veil of deception. It offsets penalties due to illusion and masking. I'm undecided on if this should be bonus dice or straight reduction (for Masking). So, Unveiling grade 3 vs Masking grade 4 would either be +3 dice on assensing against a threshold 4 higher or normal dice against a threshold 1 higher (bonus would only apply when trying to penetrate masking). It would also reduce the penalty to perception from concealment, camouflage (spell), and the like. Straight grade reduction might be too much (since concealment is limited by force of spirit and spells are limited by force and net hits) - maybe grade/2 dice bonus on penetrating such effects?

how high of an initiate grade are you worrying about?

you shouldn't really be facing much more than maybe grade 3 or 4, i would say, as long as you're talking about simply reducing penalties. i don't really see any amount being a problem... the value will never exceed the strength of your enemies anyways, it can at best counter it, so there isn't really anything to worry about, imo. (and after all, there's still *mundane* methods of disguising oneself and hiding).
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (knasser)

Too easy, and too glib.

From a game stand point on the Masking foci, you were concerned about Masking be too easy. A Masking Foci can help tip the scale a bit more towards masking, and it's also balanced on it's own more by making the initiate use even more karma to have the extra coverage. I don't see the problem. Seems like it would be just what you're looking for.

I'm not trying to be glib. Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one.Unveiling goes a long way to balancing out the arms race on masking. In a world where magical R&D departments exist to come up with the latest metamagical technique (Filtering for example), and security is the focus of a lot of it, how would something like this not come aronud eventually? Especially since Masking is the type of metamagic people would only take if they had something to hide (read:shadowrunners). It wouldn't make any sense for corps, like say, Knight Errant who could use it to pierce a bug's masking, to not try to develop it.

nathanross
My worthless opinion is this:

If you want to be the best at assensing, and be able to pierce every veil, you have to make sacrifices. I recently had to make the choice between a full magician and a mystic adept and picked the slightly worse mystic adept because my concept was to be able to assense better than anyone. To give full mages something that substitutes for the Enhanced Perception power is bullshit.

Sure, Masking is hard to pierce, but if it wasnt, what is the point? Characters spend time and karma to get it so that they can hide themselves, why make it even harder?

If you really want to fix masking, just rewrite it like it was in SR3. Decrease perciever's Initiate grade from masker's initiate rating (Im pretty sure that was how it worked) and require masking to pierce the mask. Also, just throw out the masking foci.
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 28 2007, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 28 2007, 12:52 PM)

Too easy, and too glib.

From a game stand point on the Masking foci, you were concerned about Masking be too easy.

Well I was concerned about it being too easy to penetrate once you add in the Unveiling metamagic. Saying that masking foci are a solution to my concerns doesn't work because it is simpler to not add in the Unveiling metamagic in the first place. And for those who do want Masking to be effectively countered such as yourself, you'll need to introduce some sort of unveiling foci or you are returned to an imbalance between masking and unveiling. Do you see what I mean?

QUOTE (Fistandantilus3.0)
Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one.Unveiling goes a long way to balancing out the arms race on masking.

This is where we differ - I'm saying that there isn't a problem in the first place. Firstly imbalances of power are what make Shadowrun different to D&D. It's easier to shoot someone and cause damage than it is to resist it, it's easier to cast a spell and hurt someone than it is to resist it. Imbalances of power lead to all the interesting situations and the dependence on tactics and treachery that makes Shadowrun feel so vulnerable. Masking is an aggressive tactic. It's the Agi+Longarms roll, not the Body + Armour resistance check.

Also remember that due to the nature of masking, there are two factors to consider: Firstly, without some degree of confidence in the power it is worthless. Nobody's going to be putting themselves in danger on a fifty-fifty chance. Secondly, it's not a case of individual vs. individual. It's individual vs. group. If you want a dragon, or a shadow spirit or a mantid to be living or operating in society secretly, it's not a case of fooling someone, but fooling everyone including those magicians that have taken Unveiling. One failure and everyone knows.

Same goes for trying to fool the players. One player that takes the unveiling metamagic and there go half of your plot options. Players aren't stupid (no, really). The moment they suspect a character is significant, they start scanning auras:

GM: He has a long scar down the left...
Player: Description detailed... plot senses tingling... Must Assense Now!

Do you really want a fifty-fifty chance of your intricate conspiracy being blown wide open at the initial Johnson meet?

QUOTE (Fistandatilus3.0)

In a world where magical R&D departments exist to come up with the latest metamagical technique (Filtering for example), and security is the focus of a lot of it, how would something like this not come aronud eventually?

Maybe it can't. After all, it's the initiate learning how to alter their very own aura. Perhaps the only counter really is learning to spot tiny mistakes or tell-tale traces (assensing skill). At any rate, nathanross put it very simply... the player should get something for their karma. Masking is not the same sort of power you get from Centering or Anchoring and in normal games, the player is only ever going to get to choose a handful of metamagic techniques for their character. Anyone who chooses Masking should get something they can rely on and this is especially so as in order to get the best use out of the technique, they're going to need to spend two slots by getting extended masking as well.

But besides... there already are effective counters to masking. It's just that they're fun ones like detective work and suspicion.
Ravor
QUOTE (nathanross)
If you want to be the best at assensing, and be able to pierce every veil, you have to make sacrifices. I recently had to make the choice between a full magician and a mystic adept and picked the slightly worse mystic adept because my concept was to be able to assense better than anyone. To give full mages something that substitutes for the Enhanced Perception power is bullshit.

You know nathanross if your character were to take Unveiling then he/she would still be able to assense better then anyone.

QUOTE (knasser)
Same goes for trying to fool the players. One player that takes the unveiling metamagic and there go half of your plot options. Players aren't stupid (no, really). The moment they suspect a character is significant, they start scanning auras:

GM: He has a long scar down the left...
Player: Description detailed... plot senses tingling... Must Assense Now!

Do you really want a fifty-fifty chance of your intricate conspiracy being blown wide open at the initial Johnson meet?

Well knasser, that sounds more like a metagaming problem to me then a rules problem if your Mages start Assensing everyone around them if their Plot Sense starts tingling because of a slightly more detailed description. Reminds me of KotDT and shouting out "I shoot them in the head!" with the same exact reasoning.

Besides as you yourself has stated, a character is only going to get a chance to choose a handful of Metamagics throughout her lifetime anyways, and with the exception of character's like nathanross' whoes concept is to be the best at Assensing or players who play in campaigns in which the DM is forever throwing Masked Opponents at them I don't really see the ability to pierce someone elses Masking as being anywhere near the top of the list.

As for Masking PCs, well with Unveiling it comes down to who is the most versed in the Arcane Arts as opposed to having a 'I win' security blanket. Personally I prefer the feel of the former as I don't like the idea that anyone should ever be able to feel secure in their defenses, and yes, whereas you consider Masking to be Offensive in nature, I view it as Defensive.

Besides, as long as the DM is playing fair, the majority of the time the PCs shouldn't have serious concerns that their Masking will be pierced due simply to the fact that even with Unveiling the average Dicepools of those involved should tend to favor the PCs, but at least in my opinion, in a Cyberpunk setting they should always have a tiny voice in the back of thier head whispering to them that maybe this will be the time that their Masking will fail them.

*Edit*

Also why would the Mr Big of whatever intricate conspiracy the DM has woven for the players to unravel ever do something as risky as personally meet a group of loose cannons known to shoot people in the face for money unless his hoop was between a rock and a hard place? Even under the current Masking Rules, there is always a chance that a noisy Mage might get lucky or that the 'Plot Senses' would cause a Player to throw her Edge into the test 'just to be sure'...
knasser

Okay. Well we can all play in different ways. I'm sorry if I was overly critical of the Unveiling metamagic. It will accomplish exactly what it is meant to do. I just disagree quite a bit with whether that is a good thing. I've made my case and I'm happy everyone knows where I'm coming from so I'll leave it there.

I'll only say regarding this:

QUOTE (Ravnor)

Also why would the Mr Big of whatever intricate conspiracy the DM has woven for the players to unravel ever do something as risky as personally meet a group of loose cannons known to shoot people in the face for money unless his hoop was between a rock and a hard place?

I can think of endless reasons, speaking personally. wink.gif

-K.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ravor)
As for Masking PCs, well with Unveiling it comes down to who is the most versed in the Arcane Arts as opposed to having a 'I win' security blanket. Personally I prefer the feel of the former as I don't like the idea that anyone should ever be able to feel secure in their defenses, and yes, whereas you consider Masking to be Offensive in nature, I view it as Defensive.

This is more or less where I'm coming from. Knasser I think we just have different views of how our game world should be. I don't think you're being overly critical at all. Feed back is good, even if it's criticizing because that makes people think and re-evaluate. Honestly I think we just want and expect different things from our Masking. smile.gif

mfb
well, just because Unveiling exists doesn't mean everyone has access to it. it could be a top-secret research project at one or two different corporate magical groups; it could be an ancient chinese secret, the only known description of which lies in a hidden temple on one of the five sacred mountains; it could be lost to this plane forever, to be found only be the most intrepid metaplanar explorers.

(hey, fistandantilus, meet me at the place for the thing!)
fistandantilus4.0
That's how I'm currently handling it. A number of dragon's know it, but certainly not all. Some Firewatch mages have it, as it was "created" by Ares in my game. Then some people have been taught it, but only in exchange for special favors. The first char that got it in my game was reqarded by a dragon for ar job well done with the metamagic instead of money.

mfb: tag
Ravor

QUOTE (Ravnor)

Also why would the Mr Big of whatever intricate conspiracy the DM has woven for the players to unravel ever do something as risky as personally meet a group of loose cannons known to shoot people in the face for money unless his hoop was between a rock and a hard place?

I can think of endless reasons, speaking personally.

-K.

Touche' cyber.gif

Although of course I'd argue that any Mr. Big worthy of the name would understand the risk that he's taking by doing so and take any appropriate countermeasures to limit his exposure, whether it be wireless, magical or otherwise, but that's just speaking personally.
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor @ Apr 30 2007, 05:22 AM)

QUOTE (Ravnor)

I can think of endless reasons, speaking personally.

-K.

Touche' cyber.gif

Although of course I'd argue that any Mr. Big worthy of the name would understand the risk that he's taking by doing so and take any appropriate countermeasures to limit his exposure

Countermeasures like... Masking? Ooops - it's just been balanced, hasn't it? nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Yes ... with a masking focus. biggrin.gif
mfb
or by simply not showing up. a good Mr. Big never meets with the runners himself unless the GM wants the runners to have a chance to see through his disguise.
DigitEyez
If a Johnson wants to screw a team over and did not live under a rock the past sixty years he'll get another Johnson to do it for him.

No one lies as well as someone who thinks he is telling the truth.
Ravor
I think mfb and DigitEyez has the right of it, another idea is to employ Astral Security to 'discourage' any such attempts, in fact given how cheap spirits are I'd be surprised if more Johnsons don't start using them as a general principle even if they don't intend on fragging the Runners over later, after all every professional Johnson has something very important to hide, his identity, and Mr. Big even more-so.

Besides, even without Unveiling, there is nothing stopping a parnoid Mage from throwing her Edge into the Assensing Test, which in most cases is even more likely to pierce Mr Big's Masking attempts, so even by RAW its really not a smart idea for Mr. Big to expose himself personally to the risks of the meet.

knasser

Assensing the Johnson (and others) is standard operating practice with our group. Of course many Johnsons notice, but I thought it was mostly acceptable to do this. After all - Shadowrunners are professional criminals. Of course they want to know that the job and the employer are what they say they are.
Ravor
I imagine that most Johnsons do expect the street scum they are hiring to try to research them in any way possible, whether that is using Astral Sight or trying to intercept Johnson's wireless traffic.

I also expect that the Johnsons will do everything in their power to prevent the Runners from gaining any real useful information. If the Johnson wants the Runners to think that he has some serious mojo backing him then he may very well pay through the nose beforehand to have some very nasty Spirits present as bodyguards.

If on the other hand, he wants to downplay his own mojo then he'll either relay on Masking (Even with Unveiling Masking is still far from nerfed.) OR in the case of Mr Big he simply won't give the Runners a chance to Assense him in the first place. Its my understanding that a simple divider would do the job, and Mr Johnson's Little Black Book even suggests using a screen to hide behind or only showing up via Matrix as being perfectly acceptable behavior on the part of a Johnson.

Any way you cut it, I don't see a Mr Big who really is smart enough to put together an "intricate conspiracy" as you put it as being dumb enough to allow a bunch of Runners a pretty fair chance to blow everything wide open with only the tools given to them in RAW even before you take Unveiling into account. (Given that Assensing is common practice in your games then if I were a parnoid Mage who wanted to be as informed as possible about the man giving me money to shoot someone in the face then I'd simply spend a point of Edge for my Assensing Test and if your "intricate conspiracy" or "hope of pulling off some mystery" hangs solely on Masking then more then likely your plot is blown a long time before you even have consider Unveiling.)
knasser

Okay okay okay! I concede! Go and unveil things!

biggrin.gif rotfl.gif

-K.
fistandantilus4.0
biggrin.gif
Ravor
smokin.gif silly.gif scatter.gif

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012