Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragonspeech
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Req
So I'm well aware that dragons don't talk per se, but do that whole mind-to-mind thing that can't get recorded. Hence their translators. My question though is - does this extend to dragons in human form as well? I was under the impression that dragons couldn't speak because they were lacking the physiological apparatus to do so - no vocal cords, etc - and a shapechanged dragon ought to have those...

Thoughts? Canon?

-Req
Syndyne
Dragons can speak just fine in human form, however they generally like remain in their natural form unless there is a good reason for them to shapechange.
CoalHeart
Dragons don't 'speak' while in human form. They -always- use mind to mind talking. Though there's question if they can use a tranducer connected to a skull web for decking. (I think there was something like that)
BitBasher
Dragons don't 'speak' while in human form. They -always- use mind to mind talking. Though there's question if they can use a tranducer connected to a skull web for decking. (I think there was something like that)
False. In information regarding Dunkie before the election he was asked why he didn't take human form and speak instead of using a translator. He replied that he wanted people to see his true form when he spoke.

You can see and hear a dragon normally when in human form. Dragons in human form talked and acted normally in at least one module, and you wouldn't even know it was a dragon. See "Bottled Demon" for reference.
Senchae
Also, Lofwyr talks normally in Worlds Without End- Aina doesn't recognize him at first, and she sure would have had he spoken with her with mindspeech.
Talia Invierno
Several novels (ie. The Forever Drug, Crossroad) suggest that dragons do use the mind-to-mind communication regularly while in human form. Since physical speech is something learned, they might not be able to do it without casting a spell (I think there was a Steal Skill spell?).
Req
QUOTE (Senchae)
Also, Lofwyr talks normally in Worlds Without End- Aina doesn't recognize him at first, and she sure would have had he spoken with her with mindspeech.

Ah, well then. That's particularly useful given that Golden Snout may well put in an appearance fairly soon now...and I really don't want my players to know for certain, that takes all the fun out of it.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Syndyne)
Dragons can speak just fine in human form, however they generally like remain in their natural form unless there is a good reason for them to shapechange.

Just as they prefer their natural form, it would make sense that dragons also prefer their natural mode of communication.

If a dragon in dragon form wanted to "speak" couldn't it just use a phantasm-type spell?
Talia Invierno
There are many ways to mimic speech, especially through magic. Maybe it's the equivalent of a quickened spell.

Then again, most dragons have lived a long time. What's to say at least a few of those which actually bothered to interact with the short-lived races (beyond ruling/eating) didn't just learn how to talk?
Kanada Ten
What's to say at least a few of those which actually bothered to interact with the short-lived races (beyond ruling/eating) didn't just learn how to talk?

All of them did, IMO.

Damon walks around metahuman form all the time, talking to people at bars and such. I don't see why any dragon would not as Dragonspeach can only effect one target at a time.

Blood in the Boardroom also begins with Lowfyr speaking to a person across a telecom, having assumed human form for that very purpose.

If you shapchage into a lion, can you roar? I would say yes. YMMV.
I'm glad you guys cleared this up. I was reading Year of the Comet the other day. A very nice book, I guess I shouldn't have taken that sojourn away from the game just because of the change of hands. Anyways Ghostwalker was at the meeting that was recorded for Shadowlanders, and he was talking. This confused me, but I started to think he is in human form so he wouldn't be limited. Still I wasn't sure. With all of your other proof I feel a lot more sure of my answer now.
Syndyne
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Nov 7 2003, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (Syndyne @ Nov 7 2003, 04:25 PM)

Just as they prefer their natural form, it would make sense that dragons also prefer their natural mode of communication.

If a dragon in dragon form wanted to "speak" couldn't it just use a phantasm-type spell?

There are valid reasons for a dragon wanting to speak out loud. For example, as pointed out by Kanada Ten, in Blood in the Boardroom Lofwyr takes human form and speaks to a minion via telecom, no spell would suffice for this as, even if he was within range, the minion is in space.

In addition both Ghostwalker and Celedyr speak in Survival of the Fittest, Ghostwalker for no reason other than he is in human form and can (he turns back into a dragon a moment later so it's not like he's hiding something) and Celedyr in order to prevent the runners from knowing he's a dragon.

I would contend that it is not complex for a being with the intelligence of a Great Dragon to learn to speak in a human language.
Abstruse
A physical illusion spell would work because even if the person on the other end of the phone is in space or on Pluto...as long as the camera and audio pickup is within the range of the spell, it picks up the effects and transmits them. Otherwise, the Trid Phantasm spell wouldn't work on trid because the guy watching the show in Tacoma a few miles from the studio in Downtown would be out of the radius. Same for the security guard on the other side of the compound from the camera watching the runner using Improved Invisibility.

The Abstruse One
locomotiveman
In "House of the Sun" a dragon (Lung?) speaks to the protaginist in both human and natural form via telecom.
SCLariat
In the Earthdawn "Dragons" sourcebook (available for free to download at various places on the internet), the great dragon Vasdenjas explains that dragonspeech is the natural form of communication for dragons, but that dragons can use human-style speach while shapechanged. Vasdenjas also explained that dragonspeech is much more efficient and flexible than human speech, enabling the dragon to impart or receive part of the experience, and not simply communicate information.
leemur
QUOTE (locomotiveman)
In "House of the Sun" a dragon (Lung?) speaks to the protaginist in both human and natural form via telecom.

Given the lack of other evidence, I'd say the fact the "dragon" spoke in human form is just further proof that it wasn't a dragon.
leemur
QUOTE (BitBasher)
False. In information regarding Dunkie before the election he was asked why he didn't take human form and speak instead of using a translator. He replied that he wanted people to see his true form when he spoke.

Shape shifting dragon can assume any form they want, right?

So why not assume the shape of a dragon that can speak?
Kanada Ten
Dragons cannot assume any shape they want as an innate unsustained power, only metahuman (name-giver) form. They can use a spell to shapechange into anything they want -but they can use a spell to speak, too. The latter being easier on the drain and target numbers.
Talia Invierno
The only hesitation I'd have is that physical speaking is a specific method of utilising language, and in humans there's a very short developmental window open during which a child can properly acquire it. If the child hasn't learned to speak by the time they're an adolescent, they're not going to learn.

However, we don't have any appropriate RL comparisons of children growing up with one form of communication and then learning to communicate completely differently. (I don't mean just learning another language!) The closest we come is with ASL and other deaf methods of communication, later translated into physical speech - and I'd argue it's not a good parallel.

Still, they're dragons, and it's Shadowrun. It's the GM's call, based upon what's appropriate for the individual campaign. If nothing else, it's magic biggrin.gif
White Knight
This was covered in Dragons of the Sixth World (shockingly enough smile.gif ) The most relevant bit is this section of shadowtalk:

QUOTE ("Dot6W @ p. 18, Dragon Communication")

> So it's true that dragon's can't talk at all?  That seems pretty limiting for creatures as powerful as they are.
> Hairy Houndini

> They can't speak like we do beacause they don't have the vocal apparatus to do it.  They can magically vocalise and they can speak telepathically, which is what they do with the interpreters.  But that doesn't work over electronic channel, plus it tends to freak people out if they're not used to it.  It works best to find some attractive, charismatic metahuman to be their mouthpiece.
> Jane-in-the-Box

The dragon in House of the Sun is a servant of Ryumyo. He may have spoken over a telecom while in dragon form by:
a) altering his physiology (dragons tend to do this anyway according to Dot6W)
b) using a computer program/speech synthesizer
c) having an interpreter do it off camera
d) being written before anyone decided that dragons can't do that
Wireknight
I don't see why this argument is going on so long. Dragons who can assume human form, via spell(all non-Greats, some young Greats) or via innate ability(most Greats), have all the necessary vocal apparati to speak. It states that Dragons always know at least one human language, but usually know several. So long as the dragon knows the language and is in human form, they can speak it.

No sustained spells, no quickened spells, no "Speak English" focus or spell. Human vocal cords, knowledge of language, that's all that's needed. If you want to argue that the dragon can't understand how to use human organs to produce verbal speech, that's fine, but you're also by subcontext indicating that magicians who use the Critter Form spell to transform into a non-primate would flail around ineffectually, since their altered physiology would be impossible to control.

Just like how boosted speed type effects would probably destroy one's muscles if used to their full advantage in a purely physical situation, but don't, this effect also takes care of itself. Unless you want to create several dozen "helper" effects to achieve each and every supernatural ability and its nonspoken consequences, it's best to assume that these helpers are just there, that the ability takes care of itself with respect to things like controlling the new form, or granting immunity to muscle strain inherent taking advantage of adept speed boosts or the critter power of Movement.
Adarael

Oh lord, I'm laughing so hard at the mental image of a dragon who doesn't know how to move his mouth but is using a spell to speak for him. It'd be like a bad dub!

"My name is Flametongue! You have dishonored my family! Prepare to die!"
Talia Invierno
If you want to argue that the dragon can't understand how to use human organs to produce verbal speech, that's fine, but you're also by subcontext indicating that magicians who use the Critter Form spell to transform into a non-primate would flail around ineffectually, since their altered physiology would be impossible to control.
- Wireknight

Well, your example isn't exactly parallel, but then again this thread isn't exactly an argument either biggrin.gif
Lindt
QUOTE (SCLariat)
In the Earthdawn "Dragons" sourcebook (available for free to download at various places on the internet), the great dragon Vasdenjas explains that dragonspeech is the natural form of communication for dragons, but that dragons can use human-style speach while shapechanged. Vasdenjas also explained that dragonspeech is much more efficient and flexible than human speech, enabling the dragon to impart or receive part of the experience, and not simply communicate information.

Forget the Earthdawn book, Dragons of the 6th world covers a lot of this topic. Some do like to take human form to talk, some dont.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012