Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The most dice you can throw
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
best fix i can think of is to only apply the most recent sprint check result, rather than stacking them. unless i misremember, the sprinting rules are balanced such that a high-end human will get roughly Olympic-like results with their average sprint check. if multiple sprint checks stack, then it breaks the base rules.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Knasser)
Wow! If this is how it's supposed to be played, that's going to be some fast characters running about. I think this might be a candidate for my third ever house-rule. It was never errated?

Absolutely. In 1st edition, your movement was per action, meaning that characters with a few extra Initiative Dice went twice or three times as fast as those without. In 2nd edition you got to use your whole running movement only in one action each phase, but you could stack on your walking distance in each additional action you were allowed. In 4th edition, you get to make extra Sprint tests for having extra IPs. Only in 3rd edition did Wired Reflexes not increase your overland movement rate.

Cyborgs and Adepts do indeed run very fast if they want to. Not as fast as they would go by riding a motorized skateboard or getting into a car, but very fast none the less.

-Frank
Shadow
Frank, movement exists outside of combat. You make your movement for you action. If you run, you run for the whole pass. You don't take a running action per action, but per pass. So the most you could do is roll to sprint each pass. During each sprint check you add the number of hits in meters to your movement that pass.

QUOTE (Page 138 BBB)
There are two types of movement: walking and running. Characters may move at one of these two rates during each Initiative Pass, or they may choose to remain stationary. To walk or run, the character must declare it during the Declare Actions part of his Action Phase. Walking does not take up any action, but running requires a Free Action. Once a mode of movement has been declared, the character moves in that mode until his next Action Phase. A character continues to move in the last mode he chose during passes in which he does not have an action.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. It looks like you have to expend a simple action to sprint, however it does not say you can do it more than once per phase.
mfb
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Absolutely. In 1st edition, your movement was per action, meaning that characters with a few extra Initiative Dice went twice or three times as fast as those without. In 2nd edition you got to use your whole running movement only in one action each phase, but you could stack on your walking distance in each additional action you were allowed. In 4th edition, you get to make extra Sprint tests for having extra IPs. Only in 3rd edition did Wired Reflexes not increase your overland movement rate.

Cyborgs and Adepts do indeed run very fast if they want to. Not as fast as they would go by riding a motorized skateboard or getting into a car, but very fast none the less.

it's not just cyborgs and adepts, though. any normal human can get an extra IP by blowing their edge. unless i'm badly misremembering the mechanics, that means that someone with above-average stats and skills (say, 4 Str and 4 Running) could blow their edge and shatter the world record with two good rolls.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 17 2007, 05:56 PM)
Edit: I may have misunderstood. It looks like you have to expend a simple action to sprint, however it does not say you can do it more than once per phase.

Wow. That is possibly the most inane thing I've heard in a while. You know it doesn't say you can "fire weapon" more than once a turn either?

Yes, if it's a Simple Action, you can do it over and over again unless and until there is a rule that says you can't. There's a rule on page 136 that says you can take 2 Simple Actions each initiative pass, and while hat is specifically rescinded for Long Bursts and firing Single Shot Weapons, it is in no way restricted for Sprinting.

Nor should it be, because the Six Million Dollar Man is supposed to run really fast.

QUOTE (mfb)
it's not just cyborgs and adepts, though. any normal human can get an extra IP by blowing their edge. unless i'm badly misremembering the mechanics, that means that someone with above-average stats and skills (say, 4 Str and 4 Running) could blow their edge and shatter the world record with two good rolls.

You don't even need that. Just being a Troll guarantees your ability to shatter the world record at the hundred meters. You don't even have to sprint, just your base movement alone is enough to make 100 meters in 8.57 seconds. That's 1.28 seconds faster than the current Olympic record. A human only needs to come up with 9 hits in 3 rounds to beat the 2004 Olympic Record in Shadowrun rules. People are fundamentally faster in 2071 than they are in real-world 2004.

That's just how the simulation happens to line up - high end people are fast before they even see any augmentation. Even unmodified people can make a 12 second 100-meter dash without rolling any dice - which is the winning Olympic time in 1896. Those that actually get augmentation run nearly as fast as cars.

But honestly... so what? Nearly as fast as cars? This is a world that has cars. People ride in them. The fact that you can't modify your legs to go as fast as even a low-end motorcycle is kind of a let down.

-Frank
mfb
i checked and double-checked, and what i came up with is that someone with 4 Str and 4 running can, if they get 5 successes on each roll (above-average, certainly, but not unbelievable), will be able to run one mile in less than a minute and a half, if you allow sprinting to stack. that's with no cyber or magic whatsoever, just spending edge to get an extra IP. granted, they couldn't run the entire minute and a half at that speed because they'd run out of edge, but they can still get bursts of insane speed.
Aaron
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ May 17 2007, 11:43 AM)
It starts at a 6, you roll Software + Resonance and add hits up to a maximum of resonance x2. So that number is more like 0 - 12 (software + spec) with an average of 4. Your max is still 12 though.

Not until I spent some karma. These are supposed to be starting characters. I already maxed my vehicle skill, so my Software skill capped out at 4.

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Speaking again on drain...

Fading's cheap, just bed rest. Registering sprites is cheaper. Thus:

Step 1. Compile Rating 12 machine sprite
Step 2. Register the sprite and spend a lot of time in bed
Step 3. Profit!
mfb
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
People are fundamentally faster in 2071 than they are in real-world 2004.

dude, the rules allow unmodified humans to run at 46 miles per hour. that doesn't strike you as being somewhat off? believe me, i'm all for cybernetics and magic allowing people do do amazing things. but this isn't cybernetics or magic, this is just two good rolls. not even great rolls, just good.

i wouldn't bother bitching about this, except that i worked my ass off to get reasonable running rules into SR4--rules that at least gave a passing nod to reality. seeing them broken again, it's like, wow, what the hell did i do all that work for?
Jaid
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 16 2007, 11:35 PM)
Lemme see ...

Remotely Controlling a Eurocar Westwind 3K by a Technomancer w/ Resonance 6:

9 dice for Vehicle Skill + Aptitude + Specialization
6 dice for Command complex form
0-10 (EV=3) dice for threaded Command complex form
0-24 (EV=cool.gif dice for Rating 12 machine sprite using Diagnostics on car
3 dice for Handling of car

So I think we're looking at a possible 52 dice, with an expected value of only 29, and a minimum of 18.

9 dice for Vehicle Skill + Aptitude + Specialization

Thats fine...

6 dice for Command complex form
0-10 (EV=3) dice for threaded Command complex form

It starts at a 6, you roll Software + Resonance and add hits up to a maximum of resonance x2. So that number is more like 0 - 12 (software + spec) with an average of 4. Your max is still 12 though.

0-24 (EV=cool.gif dice for Rating 12 machine sprite using Diagnostics on car

Speaking again on drain...

3 from handling

So, max dice would be... 9 + 12 + 24 + 3 or 48 max.
Average would be 9 + 10 + 8 + 3 or 30
minimum would be 9 + 6 + 0 + 3 or 18

you forgot to have that (highly theoretical) rating 12 (registered) sprite boost the command CF by another 12 points.

of course, it's likely to be the death of you, but them's the breaks...
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
People are fundamentally faster in 2071 than they are in real-world 2004.

dude, the rules allow unmodified humans to run at 46 miles per hour. that doesn't strike you as being somewhat off? believe me, i'm all for cybernetics and magic allowing people do do amazing things. but this isn't cybernetics or magic, this is just two good rolls. not even great rolls, just good.

So? People who are on the upper end of normal human maximums can go 46 MPH for perhaps as much as 3 seconds if they are super lucky. Humans can actually do that over extremely short distances in extreme circumstances.

The NFL standard for a 40 yard dash is 4.4 seconds. You don't get the good paychecks unless you can do that. That works out to about 20 MPH. Standard. On the whole team. Play in and play out. No Edge expenditure, no nothing, possibly even buying hits on the Sprint checks. Is it so weird that people can spend Edge and get really lucky and double that speed for a very short period of time?

-Frank
mfb
people who are on the upper end of human maximums cannot run 46mph if they're super-lucky. even the least-reliable measurements of the fastest human running speed is under 12m/s, which works out to about 26mph. i've got facts to back that up, please reciprocate.

the idea that running speeds vary wildly is the fallacy that every system since SR1 has bought into. in reality, the difference between the 100m dash time of an average high school track star and the 100m dash time of an Olympic gold medalist is measured in seconds, sometimes even tenths of a second. i tried to fix that in SR4, and it almost worked--if you allow only one Sprint check per combat turn, you end up with maximum unaugmented human speeds that (very) roughly mirror real-world maximum speeds, erring on the side of too fast. meanwhile, at the low end, unless someone is seriously deformed (negative qualities of some sort), they're going to be able to run at a reasonable minimum speed, even if it's only for a short while.
Shadow
Frank, you don't have to be a butt. I am not insulting you. I don't belive you can take more than one movement action per pass. Your movement exists outside of combat, so when you declare you are sprinting, you are sprinting from that pass to the next.

QUOTE (BBB 138)
Once a mode of movement has been declared, the character moves in that mode until his next Action Phase.

Seems pretty clear to me that you can declare you are sprinting, which cost a simple action, then you can act. You do not use a simple action to sprint, you sprint which uses a simple action.

QUOTE (Frank)
Yes, if it's a Simple Action, you can do it over and over again unless and until there is a rule that says you can't.

Yes you get two simple actions. Sprinting is not an action you can do as a simple action. Doing it 'costs' a simple action, get it?
mfb
that's.. flimsy, Shadow. i don't know if i'd buy that, myself. you can make it work, logically, if you tilt your head and squint your eyes, but i'd really like to believe that the devs wouldn't have intended to put in a set of exceptions that quirky without explicitly explaining them.

a better solution, to me, would be this: in the sprinting section, state that you can only make one sprinting check per turn, unless you are granted extra IPs by magic or cyber or bio. that way, everybody's happy: normal humans can't compete for pink slips on foot, and augmented humans can.
WearzManySkins
Since we are on topic discussing how many dice,

What is the most dice a "Face" can have as beginning character in negotiation?

<<Braces for the shock of it>>
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Shadow)
Frank, you don't have to be an ass.

He wasn't. Relax.

@ManySkins - I'm currently running a troll face that uses Kinesics, and has tailored pheromones. Along with skills and specializations, and make the char an elf, you can push the dice up there pretty quick.

Say...

Cha 8
Negotiation 7 (Apptitude)
(S)Bargaining 2
Kinesics 4 (2 points magic)
Tailored Pheromones 3

That's 24 without even using all the dice you could for adept powers for Improved ability. Mundanes are a bit easier to handle.
Shadow
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ May 17 2007, 04:31 PM)
Wow. That is possibly the most inane thing I've heard in a while.

I guess opinions differ on what an butt is.
fistandantilus4.0
Sarcastic, yes. A reason to continue stoking the flames by calling someone an ass, no.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 17 2007, 10:56 PM)
Frank, you don't have to be an ass.

He wasn't. Relax.

@ManySkins - I'm currently running a troll face that uses Kinesics, and has tailored pheromones. Along with skills and specializations, and make the char an elf, you can push the dice up there pretty quick.

Say...

Cha 8
Negotiation 7 (Apptitude)
(S)Bargaining 2
Kinesics 4 (2 points magic)
Tailored Pheromones 3

That's 24 without even using all the dice you could for adept powers for Improved ability. Mundanes are a bit easier to handle.

Interesting, so if an adept or mystic adept took 4 level of improved ability negotiation(1 point magic) and had a mentor spirit that aided in negotiation adding +2 dice to negotiation then it could get up to 30 dice, or 7 successes bought.

biggrin.gif just seeing how long a mega Face would take to locate a superthyroid gland. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Dragon gives +2 to negotiation. Seductress gives +2 to Con. There's a few Face type mentor spirit options.
Jaid
*sigh*

ok, first off, a number of builds here are illegal because improved skills via adept powers have a cap of 1.5 times the skill, rounded *down*

skill 7 has a max augmented of 10.

secondly, to all you social adept folks...

elven adept with magic 6 starting.

charisma 8, intimidate 7(10), specialize +2, dragonslayer mentor +2, +5 kinesics, +3 dice from tailored pheromones, and + incompetence (some skill), gremlins 1, mild addiction, ork poser, etc for 7 points of notoriety.

that's a dice pool of 37 to start off with.

of course, i could min/max a little harder and, for example, make him a mystic adept. pick up physical mask (physical imposing, +1-3 dice) and a sustaining focus, and cast control thoughts or emotions for a potential 2 more dice. you do lose 1 kinesics die though. gain dice for binding lots of spirits so that you more easily outnumber, but that's a bit situational...
Shadow
QUOTE (mfb)
that's.. flimsy, Shadow. i don't know if i'd buy that, myself. you can make it work, logically, if you tilt your head and squint your eyes, but i'd really like to believe that the devs wouldn't have intended to put in a set of exceptions that quirky without explicitly explaining them.

Well it seemed to make sense to me with the whole way movement is done. You move, and that is the way you move till your next combat action. Since you run or walk for the whole pass, it only make sense that you can sprint for the whole pass, but once you have sprinted, you have sprinted. Sprinting is everything you got in a burst. It doesn't make sense to sprint, then sprint.

Lat me put it this way, it uses up a free action to run. Once you are running you are considered running for the pass. If you had multi tasking you get 3 free actions. Do you think you would run faster if you used all three free actions to run?

Nope.
Ravor
Umm, if I remember correctly aren't Ork/Elf Poser limited to humans only? cyber.gif
The Jopp
The Sentinel
Attribute and Skills
Intuition: 6
Ex.Attribute: Intuition +1
Perception 6 ( 8 ) Visual Spec.
Aptitude: Perception +1

Adept Powers (Total: 3,25)
Imp.Ability Perception +3 (0,75PP)
Enhanced Perception: 6 (1,5PP)
Enhanced Sense: Vision Enhancement +3 (0,25PP)
Enhanced Sense: Vision magnification (0,25PP)
Enhanced Sense: Low light (0,25PP)
Enhanced Sense: Flare Comp (0,25PP)

Bioware
Reflex Recorder +1 Perception

Visual Perception Tests: 28D6
toturi
QUOTE (The Jopp)
The Sentinel
Attribute and Skills
Intuition: 6
Ex.Attribute: Intuition +1
Perception 6 ( 8 ) Visual Spec.
Aptitude: Perception +1

Adept Powers (Total: 3,25)
Imp.Ability Perception +3 (0,75PP)
Enhanced Perception: 6 (1,5PP)
Enhanced Sense: Vision Enhancement +3 (0,25PP)
Enhanced Sense: Vision magnification (0,25PP)
Enhanced Sense: Low light (0,25PP)
Enhanced Sense: Flare Comp (0,25PP)

Bioware
Reflex Recorder +1 Perception

Visual Perception Tests: 28D6

I thought I already posted this build. The bioware you are buying simply trades 1 point of Magic(and 1 level Enhanced Perception) for Perception +1. It doesn't really do anything.

My build has Psyche for +1 Intuition and Multi Tasking for the Observe in Detail for a free action. Total 32 dice.
Kyoto Kid
Lady Grande (the newbie human pre-initiate version):

MA 6 (5 due to implants)

Charisma 6
Negotiation 7 (Bargaining +2)
Kinesics 5 (2.5 pp)
Improved Ability: Negotiate 3 (1.5 pp)
Tailored Pheromones 3
Adept Quality (5)
First Impression Quality (5)
Mentor Spirit Quality (5) - Dragon +2
Aptitude Quality – Negotiation (20)

Now the math
6 + 7 + 2 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 2 = 30 (situational due to First Impression Quality)

...as good as Jaid's elf face sans the Noteriety (which can also have negative effects).
mfb
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 18 2007, 08:41 AM)
Lat me put it this way, it uses up a free action to run. Once you are running you are considered running for the pass. If you had multi tasking you get 3 free actions. Do you think you would run faster if you used all three free actions to run?

Nope.

that does make sense, except that using a simple action to run does not increase your movement rate--it gives you a new movement rate. sprinting, on the other hand, increases your movement rate the more successes you get.

i'll point out that your argument is bolstered by the text in the combat chapter:
QUOTE (SR4 pg138)
Characters may attempt to increase their movement rate by spending a Simple Action (rather than just a Free Action to run)...

which equates the Simple Action for sprinting with the Free Action for sprinting. since you can't run more than once per round, it could be concluded that you also can't sprint once per round. that's some thin logic, though; it requires a lot of extrapolation. if it were intended that you can only sprint once per round, then it really should explicitly say that.

i think if anyone wants to discuss this further, we should make a new thread. it's pretty far off-topic for this thread.
knasser
Agreed that it's off-topic and I don't want to perpetuate this, but as I started this derailment, it seems appropriate I at least weigh in with one more vote on the issue because that might help close it and we can get back to where we were.

I agree with FrankTrollman's interpretation of RAW. You are allowed one run movement in a combat phase, but each sprint test adds extra distance to that movement and a sprint test is a simple action. However, this is very unrealistic both because it leads to inhuman speed (even for humans) and it means that jacking up your reflexes makes you run far more quickly and this makes no sense to me. I think this has to be an oversight on the part of the devs and an obvious candidate for errata. I might see if I can PM one of them to see if it should be. In the meantime, this is one of my very rare houserules.
Shadow
I don't think it need errata so much as calrification that, like running, sprinting is a movement action and can only be done once per pass.

I can only add this, sprint, like running is a movement. You declare your movement rate before th action phase of your pass. You tell the GM if you are crawling, walking, running, or sprinting. Then you go on to declare what you are doing that pass. Movement is not an action, even though running and sprinting consume an action. It cannot be any clearer. You declare your movement rate. Then you act. You cannot change your movement rate halfway through your pass to walk, run, or to sprint again, since you are already sprinting.

QUOTE (SR4 pg 138)

Sprinting
Characters may attempt to increase their running distance by spending a Simple Action (rather than just a Free Action to run) and making a Running + Strength Test. Each hit adds 2 meters to their Running Rate.

This is one of those things that is so utterly crystal clear to me, I don't understand why it isn't to everyone else. Movement is not an action you take, it is what you do, therefore you declare your movement rate (not your movement action) then you act.

I wish I could think of a way to explain it so that you could understand it.

Maybe an example:

GM: Ok Joe your walking, Sam what is your movement rate for the pass.
Sam: I am going to sprint for the building.
Sam: (rolls dice) 3 Hits.
GM: Ok that improves your running rate by 3 meters. So for this pass, you can move 11 meters (24/3 +3 for this pass). Sprinting uses up one of your simple actions as you have to pay attention to where you are moving to. You may act but with only one simple action.
Slump
I think the hesistance to accept that comes from the part where you say movement isn't an action, yet it consumes an action. Using up your action resources is the very definition of an action.

An action is something you do. You have finite time (actions) within each round to do stuff. Sprinting is one of the things you can do with that time. Those that have super reflexes have more 'time' to do stuff, and sometimes that just doesn't make sense. I don't buy that someone with super-reflexes can lay down more bullets in suppressive fire (since that's just hosing down the area without caring about accuracy -- just hold the trigger down), but they can, by the rules.
Shadow
There is a difference between using an action do something, and doing something that uses up an action.

For instance, running uses up your free action. The logic being is that you have to focus on the movement. Sprinting just makes your running rate go up, you have to focus more so it uses up a simple action. You cannot change your rate of movement once declared. You are either running or walking. It exists outside of the combat turn, what you do with your action has no effect on your movement rate. Once you are running, you are running.

I can't argue this anymore. If you don't get it there is just something fundamently different in the way you an I grasp concepts that I cannot make you understand it. I put an email into info@shadowrun maybe they will addendum the FAQ. But I doubt it. This would be like putting in the FAQ, Character need to tell the GM each round that they are breathing.

It doesn't say in the rules I need air.
knasser
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 19 2007, 04:41 PM)
I can't argue this anymore. If you don't get it there is just something fundamently different in the way you an I grasp concepts that I cannot make you understand it.

We all understand what you're saying. We just disagree. You have two people (MFB and myself) who agree that you shouldn't be able to multi-sprint and one (FrankTrollman) who thinks you should, but if I can speak for the others, we all think that the RAW itself is that you can. For my part, whilst I think your approach is balanced and realistic, I don't think you're getting anywhere trying to argue that it is what the book actually says.

I am houseruling it to one sprint action per combat phase. I very seldom make house rules. But until an errata comes along, it is a house rule, I'm afraid.

I think we have to return this to the original topic, now.
mfb
for the record, i think you should be able to multi-sprint if you have technological or magical increases to your IPs. i do like the idea of adeps and cyborgs being able to chase down cars on foot. blame it on GitS:SAC.
knasser
QUOTE (mfb)
for the record, i think you should be able to multi-sprint if you have technological or magical increases to your IPs. i do like the idea of adeps and cyborgs being able to chase down cars on foot. blame it on GitS:SAC.

Okay, well we disagree on that one, then. I can't see why something that increases your reflexes makes you run faster. But I also like the augmented people to be impressive and I handle it through the stat increases. It wont be as impressive as someone with 4IP, but anyone who can get to Strength 7 and has a reasonable running skill can do the 100m in 9.38 seconds on average rolls. Throw in edge or a little more luck on the dice and he'll come in at a sub-9 second 100m. That's about 40kmph which is pretty scary, I think.

Now when they finally give us some rules for the Kid Stealth legs... then we'll see some speed. wink.gif

If you want to get a feel for just what an augmented human is capable of in Shadowrun, I have an illustration here. All figures are the result of average rolls. Edge or luck can make things much more impressive.
Kyoto Kid
...OK, a few more characters written up for actual play.

<edit - forgot to spell check>

Note: these characters have other skills & abilities and are not Min-Maxed to the hilt just for the most god-awful DP you can get.

Markova (Mundane Dwarf: Former Military Field Medic)

Logic 5
+Level 2 Cerebral Booster
First Aid 5 (Combat Wounds +2)
Medikit 6

Base Pool:
5 + 2 +5 + 2 + 6 = 20 (18 for patching you up in the street).
Maximum boxes which she can heal = 7 for stuff like gunshots & blade wounds 5 for falling and other non combat injuries (including those from spells).

She is also more than competent with firearms, had a very good "bedside manner", and is no slouch when sneaking around or dealing with Electronics. She also has a Soak DP of 14/13.

KK (Human Adept)

Agility 5
Blades 6 (Katanas +2)
Improved Ability: Blades 3
Weapon Focus Power 2 (Bonded)
Reach 1

With her Katana:
5 + 6 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 18 (With Reach in her favour: 19)

KK is also good at Infiltration, Good with a gun (actually 2), can handle herself in social situations (especially regarding Japanese culture), an all around professional level athlete, and drives a big ol, Harley Hog. She may be dense as a brick when it comes to academic stuff but is very aware out on the streets. KK also has a Soak DP of 14/12 (2 levels of Mystic Armour).

Media Blitz (Elf Reporter Adept).

Charisma 5
+ racial modifier (elf) 2
Influence Group 4
Improved ability Negotiation 2 & Con 2
Kinesics 4
Tailored Pheromones 1
First Impression Quality

For interviewing (subset of Negotiation) or Fast Talking her way out of a jam her DP is:
5 + 2 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 20.

For being the target of social tests she adds +2 for Cool Resolve

She can also handle a gun, is excellent at data research,is pretty perceptive (you have to be in her biz), and can sneak around to get the best angle. She also has a suite of implanted sensory mods and recording gear (sacrificing one point of MA which includes Synaptic Booster 1 and her Tailored Pheromones 1) Media also has a good set or supportive knowledge skills making her extremely useful for legwork.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (mfb)

Just wait till we get cyberskates back then eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012