Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Down in the Gutter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
WinterRat1
Agree with Rob as well. Of course wireless won't be as reliable as say, Bellevue or Downtown, but to say there is NO wireless in the area is idiotic. As he stated, there's plenty of ways for people to get around that problem, especially in a sprawl as urbanized and one that is (overall) a 1st world city!.

Argh. Someone stop me before I go off into rant mode again.
rob
*pushes soapbox away tries to hide it. Whistles as if nothing's wrong...*

I would like to include a mini-rant on my picture of how static zones would work, which I will begin in the planning thread shortly.
Omae
I would like to join as young troll ganger.
I have to study for final, but I'll be able to write up a character and background story on this weekend.
HeySparky
Good! We need more trogs!
Omae
BTW did y'all decide which area to start the gang? or are we going to decide that during the game play?
Konsaki
I dont think the PC's have trully decided an area to try and take. They have talked about it some, a long time ago.
WinterRat1
Welcome aboard Omae! Just fyi, you may not have caught the announcement, but there are a few deadlines coming up next week:

1. Input your PC's Location and Activity on the Event Registry (on the wiki) under the title 'Game Start' by Thursday, June 14 00:00:00 US Central Time.

2. Have your character MARKED 'READY' on the wiki by Monday, June 11, 00:00:00 US Central Time.

Just wanted to make sure you're aware of them, because you're coming in shortly before we're about to start. Glad to have you aboard!

As for gang turf, that will be decided during play, although you will note on the Event Registry you can see where individual members are beginning play.
Omae
@WR1
I wasn't aware of them, but that still gives me time to study and make up character and background on this weekend and post 'em.

I have to post on here as well as on Wiki right?
WinterRat1
Post what on here? You need to post your concept here to get it approved by me first, just to make sure your character is in line with the general theme/feel/mood/premise of the game.

We usually post questions/discussion/OOC stuff in the planning thread, while posting 'completed' or 'draft' versions of things on the wiki. If you have any questions about the wiki, Sparky and Vegas are the ones to ask first, before you screw anything up and incur their wrath. smile.gif
Unarmed
Woot... I was worried that doc was going to be the only troll. One troll in a street gang? Unheard of!
Konsaki
Great... now they're going to breed... ohplease.gif
Omae
@Konsaki
Orks breed faster than trogs...
Omae
@Konsaki
holy shit! you are from Korea Konsaki? are you station there?
Fresno Bob
Do you have room for Aziz?

Oh wait, Aziz got eaten. Any chance of that un-happening? Like, maybe he was out getting a taco?
Omae
Well, here's my character and 30 questions.
You can ignore my last two post. It's all in here now...

[Edit] thank you rob for telling me how to do.

[ Spoiler ]
Omae
Thirty Questions

Background

1. Where and in what kind of environment did your character grow up?
Beast Jr. grew in an orphanage ran by Catholic church in Redmond. He does have some Catholic influenced behavior, such as praying before meal, or go to church on Sunday.

2. What are your character's relations with their family? (Does your character keep in touch? Where are they now?)
For Beast Jr., the orphanage is his home and people at the orphanage is his family. Beast Jr. does still live at the orphanage.

3. Does your character have an ethnic background? (Is it relevant to them?)
No. He is just ordinary mutt.

Appearance

4. What does your character look like?
He's about 230 cm in height, brown eye, black hair that's trim to military style. He doesn't have any special features that sticks him out of any other trolls, except that he's horn is just growing out. He's hair style is to show off his tiny little horn. He's only 13 years-old, so he's mostly childish in many manners and look.

5. What does your character dress like?
Mostly something comfortable and easy to clean up. On Sunday, he'll wear his Sunday suit to go to church in the morning, but soon as that's over, back to T-shirt and jeans or just sweats

6. What are your character's physical quirks?
He has habit of biting his finger nail.

Skills, attributes, resources

7. What did your character always want to be? (How did they go about getting this job/position/ability/image? Did they succeed?)
Beast Jr. always want to be the protector. Just like action heroes in cartoons or movies. Personal hero is Beast (you see why he's name's Beast Jr.?), an older Troll who grew up in same orphanage, now working as Ares Sec. Guard(to Beast Jr.'s knowledge). Reason is, unlike Beast Jr., Beast is smarter, more gentle, caring person. But besides those reasons, Beast is very helpful to their orphanage through out. Beast Jr. do know that he can't be as successful as Beast, and as helpful as Beast to their home, so he chooses other way to help out. He choose to be street ganger, so he's street gang "family" could protect his home from other street gangs.

8. Where and how did your character learn their Active and Knowledge Skills?
Most skills are taught by Beast for self-protection and on the street. He's naturally fast learner fro physical skills, and being coward he is, he learned couple other skills, such as where is what gang's turf, how to recognize them, how to run from them, and most importantly, how not to get beat up by them.

9. Where and how did your character get their major equipment and ?ware?
Most are handmedown from Beast, and some are from goods sent out from mega/semi-mega for special occasion such as Christmas for good publicity.

10. Where and in what kind of place does your character currently live?
He is still lives in orphanage.

11. Who are your character's contacts? (How did they become contacts? Why do they still talk to your character?)
Beast, who is like Beast Jr.'s big bro.
Father Pedro, father figure for both Beast and Beast Jr. who runs orphanage
Drug dealer, got him as contact after finding out there are drugs that could help him less cowardice(Kamikaze)

12. Who are your character's enemies? (How did they become your character's enemies?)
No enemies currently, but he'll be someone's, if someone hurts his "family" (either families at orphanage or his gang members)

13. For Awakened characters, how did your character learn their magic? For non-Awakened characters, how does your character feel about magic?
He thinks magic is amazing, and wonders why he could not do it. He did see some magic in reality, due to magician friend of Beast, who, sometimes, put up some shows at orphanage.
rob
To spoiler, just write [spoilar][/spoilar] around the text... just spell it correctly.

rob
Omae
Personality

14. What are your character's personality quirks?
He is, infact, coward.

15. What are your character's likes and dislikes?
He likes sweets and having fun, like game and such, but dislikes fights, because he's the one usually get pounded when younger.

16. What is your character's moral code?
He doesn't hurt someone for fun or intentionally, but have purpose in action.

17. Does your character have personal beliefs?
He does believe in God and tries not to break too much rules.

18. What are your character's personal motivations?
Personal motivation is to protect his home, family, and friends.

Running with the gang

19. Why does your character run with the gang?
In his mind, gangs doesn't hurt its member's family, so he joins gang to protect his orphanage from street gangs

20. When and how did your character join the gang?
Less than week ago. Since there were tensions building up between gangs, many gangs needed more mens, especially strong muscle like Beast Jr.

21. How does your character contribute to the gang? What is his role; not just in terms of how he/she makes money, but where does he/she fit in the social hierarchy?
He can be the muscle of the gang, if overcome his cowardice, but importantly he does have some access to everyday supply (it involves stealing at the storage of orphanage). He does not do this often, unless his "family" at the gang is in need and there are no way of getting help unless this.

22. What would make your character ever leave the gang?
If his gang does hurt his family at orphanage. But probably will join other gang to do some revenge.

23. How does your character feel about their life in the gutter as part of a street gang? What is their view of the rest of the world? (i.e. Non-gangers)
He thinks gangs could be the protector, instead of trouble makers on the street and he'll try to influence them in someway. Rest of world is harsh place with few good, although he thinks gangs aren't any better, but could be better then rest with right purposes.

24. If your character could have their ideal life outside of the gang, describe what that ideal life would be.
Superhero like Batman. Rich, but fights crime with purpose.

25. What ambitions does your character have for the gang as a whole? What ambitions does your character have for their place within the gang?
For his gang, he wishes them to be the protector of street, instead trouble of street and wishes to be leader someday to direct his gang to fit his dream.

26. If your character is a recent addition from another gang, how does your character feel about joining a new gang? If your character is not a recent addition from another gang, how does your character feel about the new arrivals to the gang?
He joined local gang, but when war happened he couldn't help himself but to run away from the fight.

27. How does your character view relationships within the gang, both romantic and friendship? How does your character view relationships outside the gang, both romantic and friendship?
He does not know any romance yet, and for friendship he believe in friendship of movies. Where one can risk and die for friend.

28. What is your character's view of the other gangs in the area? (Note: Wait until other gang info is up and available before answering this question.)

29. What is your character's attitude towards/view of the gang as a whole?
He thinks gangs in general are trouble without purpose, but with purpose it could be great protector of street and common people.

30. What is your character?s view of each of his fellow gang members? Answer for each gang member listed below. (Note: Cannot be completed until our final roster is fleshed out. Update this as membership roster changes or significant events occur. Specify events or reasons that led to changes in perception. Do not delete prior perceptions, just add what has changed and why.)
Konsaki
QUOTE (Omae)
@Konsaki
holy shit! you are from Korea Konsaki? are you station there?

For the time being.
Omae
yeah i did my time in south korea too different place though.. TDC you heard?
Konsaki
Doesnt ring a bell. Too many places over here.
Abbandon
Heya Omae. It seems some of our wiki crew are busy or taking breaks and stuff but i managed to do a damn fine job of adding in the pages for your character.

http://thegutter.wikispaces.com/PC+Beast+Jr

You wont be able to edit his pages until you click the join group link in the upper left section of the website but until then I and maybe some others will try to help fill it in for you in the meantime.

Do you know how to play with wiki's ??? Oh I also wanted to say that your custom unarmed modifiers probably wont fly. You can choose to specialize in offensive or defensive combat and get +2 dice to either of those tests but not all that stuff you wanted. And are you sure you want that low of agility? Your dude is really strong but i dont think he will be able to hit anything. I'd transfer some strength over to agility. I know your gonna play him off as a coward but there is no point in not being able to fight.

@omae spoiler a gear list and i will get to work on that unless one of the wiki guys beats me to it.

If Vegas or ES Sparky could go over his main page there is probably stuff there to correct. And i mispelled his page name for background "Backround". If you fix that will the links connected to "Backround" become extinct? I also wanted to ask you wiki masters what is the easiest method to creating new charactr pages. I made the 5 new pages, then i found those template pages and copy pasted them over. It would have been awesome if you could just do "save as" on the templates.
Vegas
Abbandon,

Thanks for getting Beast's pages done. I would just like to ask a super huge favour from here on out. There have been some major changes made to the takes page and they haven't been made to the template (Wasn't expecting more people last minute so we hand changed all the existing players) so it just makes a LOT More work for us to have to go back in and correct/change the takes pages. I'm working on "fixing" the existing template for good and we'll be all done, but just going forward. Believe me I appreciate the help but I've got the page creation process down to a science and would have had them up and ready to go smile.gif

Face it, the wiki is my (and Sparky's) baby.. I'm a little over protective at times, and I only half-apologize smile.gif And if only to save myself and Sparky a few editing headaches later biggrin.gif

As for your question, no there really isn't a "easy" way to use the templates (ir if there is no one has shared it with me yet and i've just made my own system) and just "save as" because if you get into renaming pages it eats the original or redirects is (a-la your backround page for beast, it's fixed, but all the links had to be corrected and the original page redirects to the new one with the 'g' in it biggrin.gif)
HeySparky
Abbandon! Thanks! Good work, there. Woo! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Ooh. smile.gif Well, feel chastened by the 'Saurus. But really, thanks for helping out.
Vegas
Heh I wasn't trying to be mean or bitchy nyahnyah.gif And the help is appreciated. Just had to do a number of edits to get it in line with the Wikitron's vision nyahnyah.gif
Konsaki
/me hangs his head and sighs.

Tis a sad sad day when it take a normal player to do the Wiki Staff's job. nyahnyah.gif

GJ on the initiative, Abbandon. Thanks for fixing his errors, Vegas. biggrin.gif

@Omae
Once you get the character sheet and gear listing completed, I'll look over it for mechanical errors. The faster you get it done, the closer you are to gameplay.
HeySparky
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Tis a sad sad day when it take a normal player to do the Wiki Staff's job. nyahnyah.gif

On second thought. Boo-urns. Omae's Beast Jr hadn't been given the greenlight by WinterRat1, so actually, he doesn't need sheets yet and we've managed to jump the gun here.

So. There.

Same with Voorhees' Aziz.
Konsaki
O'rly? sarcastic.gif

Well, good on you guys then.
Abbandon
QUOTE (WinterRat1)
Welcome aboard Omae!

I took that as a greenlight.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Abbandon)
QUOTE (WinterRat1 @ Jun 7 2007, 02:06 PM)
Welcome aboard Omae!

Yes, but WR1 has yet to approve of his backstory/30 questions. That's the important first step to joining the game.
HeySparky
QUOTE (Abbandon)
QUOTE (WinterRat1 @ Jun 7 2007, 02:06 PM)
Welcome aboard Omae!

Wow. Really?
Vegas
QUOTE (Konsaki)
O'rly? sarcastic.gif

{o,o}
|)__)
-�-�-

RLY!
Konsaki
QUOTE (Vegas)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jun 10 2007, 03:54 PM)
O'rly?  sarcastic.gif

{o,o}
|)__)
-�-�-

RLY!

'Read or the owl will eat you!'
Vegas
I just couldn't resist.. I love the lil owl ASCII smile.gif
Abbandon
That reminds me....I wanted to suggest Omae his character should be called Flp, Bruce, or Banner. Bruce banner = hulk. Flip cuz if you flip his switch he goes ape ^$#@. I loved the drug tie in that makes aggressive but i mean if he gets angry about stuff to the point of looking for drugs to help him out would he really be that cowardly?
WinterRat1
Do you have room for Aziz?

Oh wait, Aziz got eaten. Any chance of that un-happening? Like, maybe he was out getting a taco?

Voorhees - Go ahead and submit your character to Konsaki for review and the wiki GMs to start putting Aziz up. I already know the concept so I don't need to reapprove it.

In your background, you should note Aziz did in fact escape from the massacre by the 162s. Shade and Felix won't know this yet though until you turn up in game, so Shade's Journal will remain the same, for now. As far as they know, you're ghoul food.

Also, keep in mind that while the character generation rules were based on Tinkergnome's 410 Crash game, there are some significant differences, so you'll have to tinker with Aziz to bring them in line with our requirements. Notable is that his Blades (Katana) skill of 5(7) will have to be dropped to 2(4). I don't remember anything else off the top of my head.

For you, I am also requiring that if you don't get to any of the other takes prior to game start, you must write a take for Halo, Felix, and Shade. The takes for those three chracters should be at least a paragraph or so, and should include some sense of history, since now they've all been together through two gang exterminations and quite a bit more. I need to get some sense of how he really feels about them on an inner level beyond the superficial. I will need this information to properly plan my opening scenes for those characters and Aziz.

Let me know if you've got any other questions, otherwise feel free to get rolling.
Vegas
I'll set up pages for Aziz.. should be up in a few minutes
Fresno Bob
Aye aye, captain!

Uh, I'm kinda rusty on Wikispaces, how do I make a page for Aziz? Ah. Nevermind then.
WinterRat1
Omae - I like the character concept and 30 questions. Couple things:

1. Don't feel obligated to raise your Agility. I admire your guts in putting an Agility of 2. Shows serious commitment to role-playing the concept. If you want to change it per an earlier suggestion it's obviously your choice, but I was impressed with the Agility of 2.

2. For the sake of fitting Beast Jr into the world better, would you be opposed to changing Father Pedro to Father Ron of the Black Plague? They're pretty much the exact same, except with a different name, and I have a hard time imagining there's two basically identical guys doing basically the same thing in Kingsgate.

3. That being said, Beast Jr. sounds like a Black Plague member through and through. Why would he join up with the NPCG instead of the Black Plague, especially if Father Ron is part of the Black Plague (assuming you change Father Pedro to Father Ron per my request above)?

By way of suggestion, if you read the locales section, you'll note there were several gang rapes that forced the Salvation Army to stop sending female workers into Kingsgate. Their office is located in the Black Plague's turf. Perhaps he witnessed the gang rape of one of those female workers by the Black Plague and that turned him off to them, because that's not what heroes do. Maybe he secretly hates the gang but doesn't feel he can do anything about it...until the NPCG rises from the ashes with their leader of justice and righteousness, Legion!!! (OK scratch the justice and righteousness and replace it with 'less unjust and less unrighteous than the Black Plague')

I'm open to other ideas, this was just a suggestion. The bottom line is, he sounds built to be a Black Plaguer through and through, so you need to come up with a reason and way for him to join the NPCG. Thoughts?
Vegas
Pages are up.. talked to Voorhees to join the wikispace too.
WinterRat1
Aye aye, captain!

Uh, I'm kinda rusty on Wikispaces, how do I make a page for Aziz? Ah. Nevermind then.

If you don't feel comfortable with wikispaces, rather than incur the wrath of the Wikitron and Wikisaurus Rexes, best to allow them to do it and simply send requests their way. smile.gif
Fresno Bob
Nah, I got it. I did most of the work last night, so its a simple matter of plugging in numbers.
Omae
@WR1
I haven't read about the black plague, but I will today and link it together as you said, as well as Father Ron

@Abbandon
It's not his angry enough to go find drug, it's like when he was younger he used to beat up by the local gangs, it's more like mental trauma per se, and he does not wants to be coward, 'cuz heros are not coward. One reason to get addicted is the drugs effect. It makes user feeling of imperviousness and invincibilty, exhibiting almost no regard for their own well-being.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Omae)
@WR1
I haven't read about the black plague, but I will today and link it together as you said, as well as Father Ron.

Um... That's going to be the problem then. The Black Plague are still alive as a gang and jumping from one gang to another isnt really good for your health...
Omae
@Konsaki
well, Beast Jr. could have gone to go through the initiation for the Black Plague, but couldn't do it. So, even though he does believe what the Father Ron's idea of the gang and such, he decided, and I'm pretty sure other gang members of Black Plagues thinks, Beast Jr. is not fit to be one of their soldier. He saw rise rise of NPCG and he thought he could try this new gang, may be convince this new gang to follow or at least think about his/Father Ron's idea of gang

it's bit murky but after night of party, my brain only works this far...
Omae
There is mistake on my character

1. Athletic Group Skill should be at rating 1

2. Unarmed Combat is missing *I still don't know WR1 is going to allow my first idea but sill it's missing from CS at wiki

3. Pistol skill rating is at 2, it should be at 1
Meriss
Omae you may want to take any probs over to the Planning thread. It seems to be the OOC thread for now. You might get more response
Vegas
QUOTE (Omae)
There is mistake on my character

1. Athletic Group Skill should be at rating 1

2. Unarmed Combat is missing *I still don't know WR1 is going to allow my first idea but sill it's missing from CS at wiki

3. Pistol skill rating is at 2, it should be at 1

Omae,

Looks like the changes to Athletics Group and Pistols you made already...

as for Unarmed combat there was already a generic ruling in the other thread buried deep in it so I looked back and found this:

QUOTE (konsaki @ DITG Thread)

2 - The spec (Martial Arts) is disallowed in this game per CharGen rules. This includes all forms of martial arts as a spec. You may choose one of the following as a spec for 'Unarmed Combat': Offensive (+2 to attacks), Defensive(+2 to defense), Submission(+2 to Grappling)

Hope that helps clear things up so you can finish your sheet and get in the game.
WinterRat1
well, Beast Jr. could have gone to go through the initiation for the Black Plague, but couldn't do it. So, even though he does believe what the Father Ron's idea of the gang and such, he decided, and I'm pretty sure other gang members of Black Plagues thinks, Beast Jr. is not fit to be one of their soldier. He saw rise rise of NPCG and he thought he could try this new gang, may be convince this new gang to follow or at least think about his/Father Ron's idea of gang

it's bit murky but after night of party, my brain only works this far...

Here's my thoughts Omae. You don't just 'try out' for a gang, and if that doesn't work, maybe you'll try another, and if you don't like that one, well there's always another that might be more to your liking.

Beast Jr. does not have the ability to pull that kind of gang hopping off without being made an example of.

My suggestion is that he tried to join the Black Plague but couldn't bring himself to do it because of reason X, probably because of their racism and brutality against humans, because heroes don't do that.

You think they'll let him stick around after knowing he can't hack it? The beatings and taunts and harassment you mentioned earlier would escalate through the roof, and he'd be much more likely to join the NPCG just to survive.

Sure, it'd be nice to convince this new gang to be good guys, like Father Ron's vision, but at the end of the day, it's pretty hard to convince anyone of anything when you're dead.

Hence, he joins NPCG because they need warm bodies and he needs a place to go to stop the Black Plague from escalating their harassment of him until it ends up with him dead.

Down the road, as he gains credibility, he can start trying to influence the direction of the gang, but right now short term needs trump long term ideals. That's my suggestion if you are stuck, but I suggest doing something quickly to get your character ready before Konsaki and I officially move onto the story planning/opening post prep.
Omae
@WR1

I think your suggestion is much better then my murky story up there. I accepts your suggestion and will adapt to my story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012