Touch -2
Sustained +0
Restricted Target(Voluntary Target)) -1

Drain Code -1

This could have some interesting effects in game biggrin.gif
IvanTank
Talk about sensory overload...
WearzManySkins
No more than walking around in AR mode with all the area items sending out signals and your AR displays them for you.
Demon_Bob
Err, Der, Ooops. Me no think good when post.
mfb
it's a sensory spell. sensory spells target you, allowing you to see new things.

this spell would make you go blind. it's nothing even remotely like walking around in AR mode--you would be seeing sprays of color coming everywhere, constantly, from every direction. you woudn't be able to make sense of it, and you wouldn't be able to see anything else.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
How exactly is a non-sentient wireless signal a voluntary target?

Range of touch? So the signal has to be strong enough to reach your destination then? Would you need to be able to tune your COM-link to the desired incoming signal?

That mean the spell can be cast on the caster or any voluntary being. Touch means the target ie caster/voluntary target has to be touched.

This spell is basically like the Night Vision or Thermographic spells. It only allows one to see wireless signals, as for signal strength I would say that signal strength zero which only has a range of 3 meters would be pretty much no viewable unless one was with in 3 meters. Every signal after that is 40 meters plus, weakest comm link is signal 2 which is 100 meters, but almost every comm link build I have seen is signal 6 is 10 kilometers.

No the target of the spell ie mage/volunteer gains a new sense ie vision, able to perceive wireless signals. Perception rolls and modifiers for same would apply.

WMS
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (mfb)
it's a sensory spell. sensory spells target you, allowing you to see new things.

this spell would make you go blind. it's nothing even remotely like walking around in AR mode--you would be seeing sprays of color coming everywhere, constantly, from every direction. you woudn't be able to make sense of it, and you wouldn't be able to see anything else.

Hmm no where do I see the Night Vision/Thermographic spells rendering the target blind? It states grant a voluntary subject low light vision like that provided by the low light gear cybernetic enhancement(P. 332).

Since using Low light devices and others devices does not render one blind, this spell does not either.

What do you think visual light is received into the back of the retina, bunches of light/color etc. It is the visual cortex that renders the visual information from the retina into what we see.

So lets say I disagree with your blindness solution. smile.gif

Using this vision, one could percieve the strongest sources of wireless signals, and wireless signals being reflected off surfaces. Just light see a spot light illuminating and area and the backscatter light allowing one to see around area due the reflections of the backscatter.

I never said it was like being in AR, it was to make a point, that Wireless could be "seen" ip so facto then targeted by mage to use a spell on.
Demon_Bob
Actually I percieve it more as seeing the stars on a cloudless night in the country. Most signals would just be dots of light in the distance. You might not know if it was a Signal 0 from 3m away or a Signal 4 from 1km away as they would both appear at the same intensity. (Although wondering around a bit might give you a clue about the distance of both.) However, a strong signal nearby, (signal 6 from 40m) would white out many of the others.
WearzManySkins
Bob, that monitor in front of you is emitting points of light, your retina detects and sends those detect points of light, then sends them along the optic nerve to your visual cortex. The visual cortex "processes" the points of light into the screen with the graphics/characters on it.

Another effect of this spell in heavy wireless environment, ie signals bouncing off objects/walls etc, would be very crude ultrasound type of vision, no where the detail of Ultrasound. but would give you something.
Jack Kain
Am I the only one not taking his three threads seriously.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Nope

Well, you wouldn't exactly percieve the wireless signals as light more as a 6th sense discribed in that matter. Besides after a while without other interfearing sourses of light it does become possible to kinda see by Starlight, although a signal off in the distance with the brightness if a moon, (like a radio station) would be a great deal of help.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Why not?

If you can find how I have incorrectly applies the spell design rules, that is why I posted them here, to find, discuss and correct the spell design.

As for the spell effects....yes one of the spells definitely upsets the hacker/technomage apple cart.

Instead I could have chosen to merely remove the wireless signals, rather than turning them into a olfactory component, altering their frequency to above or below the range of wireless signal using devices, still renders the use of wireless inside the area of effect moot. The drain code on raising or lowering the wireless frequencies I believe would be less than transforming them into olfactory signals.

WMS
Demon_Bob
Spell design looks ok, except that be looking at some of the spells in detection it would be a physical spell. So Drain = (F/2)+0
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
Spell design looks ok, except that be looking at some of the spells in detection it would be a physical spell. So Drain = (F/2)+0

Bob I concur.

Thanks
Ravor
Well considering that I don't allow Mages to target spells using Ultrasound I wouldn't allow them to target anything that they could "sense" using this spell either.

In fact, wouldn't this just be a version of (Sense) Crypteshesia in Street Magic?
WearzManySkins
Well that spell and Night Vision and Thermographic spells are basically the same, but the night vision and thermographics you can target what you "see" with the spell. The Crypteshesia you can not.

But the Crypteshesia spell allows you to select a location to use the new vision, ie you could cast the Crypteshesia Wireless spell at a corner and then look around the corner with out putting yourself at risk.

My spell you would have to have your meat body look around the corner to look around it.

Thanks

WMS
Ravor
True, however the fact that we have magical Low-Light & Thermo vision that allows the mage to target spells, but not an Ultrasound version is rather telling.

So no, I don't think that it is a legal spell if it allows for Magical LOS.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ravor)
True, however the fact that we have magical Low-Light & Thermo vision that allows the mage to target spells, but not an Ultrasound version is rather telling.

So no, I don't think that it is a legal spell if it allows for Magical LOS.

I view that as a space consideration, under the spell you mention it mentions low light and thermographic.

But under a another thread Magical LOS is not needed. Sterilize being one example, one can not normally see microscopic organism to kill them.

WMS
Ravor
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
But under a another thread Magical LOS is not needed. Sterilize being one example, one can not normally see microscopic organism to kill them.

Sure, and if you notice, I've never argued that point. If you want to treat your three threads as being one big discussion then please next time make a single fragging thread!

What I am saying is that I have a huge problem with the spell IF you'd allow it to be used in order to get magical LOS to target something, and otherwise you'd might as well just learn (Sense) Crypteshesia.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
I view that as a space consideration, under the spell you mention it mentions low light and thermographic.

I don't buy that for one second because if that were the case then they could have very easily combined the Low-Light and Thermo Spells into a single spell using wording very similar to (Sense) Crypteshesia, OR just provided the Low-Light version as an example to save space, but yet they didn't do either.
WearzManySkins
Ravor,

I disagree, but that to each of us.

I view Night Vision/Thermographic and Crypteshesia two vastly different spells for entirely different uses/purposes.

One set is a set of spells that gains the user vision that they do not have, but allows them to target using such vision.

The other spell allows remote viewing of an area, and using vision that the caster does not have. Being able to target around corners with out putting your meat body at risk, I can see that not being allowed.

These two spells are separate and distinct for such reasons.

Also an adept/mystic adept could have wireless vision and use it as they will, but the question is can an adept/mystic adept have ultrasound vision? If so then they can have wireless vision.
Ravor
Sure a Mystic Adept could have Ultrasound or Wireless Sense, whether from cyberware, Adept Power or a Magical Spell, but she couldn't then use her new sense to gain magical LOS to cast Manabolt at someone.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ravor)
Sure a Mystic Adept could have Ultrasound or Wireless Sense, whether from cyberware, Adept Power or a Magical Spell, but she couldn't then use her new sense to gain magical LOS to cast Manabolt at someone.

Yes I agree, but I recall somewhere that transformation/detection spells do not need a magical LOS. IIRC combat spells like mana bolt need/require a LOS to be used.

If the mystic Adept has paid for the new vision via essence or magic attribute why could they not use it to gain a Magical LOS? IIRC that comes from 3rd, I have yet to have seen any such ruling on that in 4th.
Ravor
Well, I think that it depends on what you mean by needing LOS. For example, a blindfolded mage couldn't cast Sterilize, Alter Temperature or a custom version of Catalog that had a range of LOS instead of Touch, but just like Fireball and its kin, once cast the spell would effect everything in its Area reguardless of what the caster could see.

Hmm, maybe not allowing Ultrasound to be used as LOS is a holdover from Third, but remember that if you allow magical Ultrasound to be used as 'vision' then you'd also have to allow cyberware Ultrasound to do the same thing, and I think I'd agrue that it still shouldn't work because I'm not so sure that Ultrasound 'Vision' is really vision and not a type of 'Hearing' that just happens to be translated as 'Vision'.
Sterling
My problem with this spell is your target is wireless signals, emitted by highly technical devices. In that case, I would rule (in my game, I'm Not Your GM (INYGM)) that if this spell was allowed, you'd need at least 4 hits to overcome the object resistance table. It's not so much that you're detecting the signals, really. You're either converting them to something you can perceive (in which case the ORT applies), or modifying yourself to be able to receive these signals just like a receiver (which isn't as simple as say, adapting your eyes which already see a certain visible spectrum of light to be able to see a different spectrum of light). Either way, you're attempting to access something that your brain is truly not adapted towards.

In fact, I would probably disallow this spell on the grounds that it's bleeding over into the realm of the Technomancer, and that's supposed to be a clearly divided realm of expertise. You can be a samurai and a hacker, but mages cannot be technomancers... and this is (in my mind) an encroachment on that turf.
TonkaTuff
Having read through the relevant sections, I don't see a restriction that says magically-granted sonar/ultrasound doesn't enhance LOS for spellcasting purposes. The spells/powers that don't apply say so explicitly. For that matter, there doesn't seem to be an exemption for ultrasound provided by implants, either. The data is coordinated inside of your brain and processed as an augment to visual perception, so it seems like it would apply just as a natural/implant thermographic system would.

As for the See Wireless spell itself - while it's a validly-constructed spell, it seems pretty limited, since it makes you perceive all of the signals, rather than one/some in particular. While the magical effect would enable your brain to interpret the incoming data in some meaningful way, the wide range of frequencies covered in just the portion of the EM spectrum used for wireless communication, added to their ubiquitous use in 2070 civilization would mean you need to get a good amount of hits on the cast test to really get anything useful from your newfound ability to perceive them (suggested Detection Table results below). Assuming you got enough hits to even allow you to pinpoint a target with your EM-sense active, off-hand I calculate you'd be facing at least a -6 visibility penalty to target an individual with any sort of offensive move (ranged attack, melee, or spell) - which doesn't take into account the -2 for sustaining this spell in the first place (unless you've got a focus) or any other penalties that'd apply from your other visual senses, wounds, etc.

Detection Table Results (See Wireless Signals)
---------------------------
1 - You can see the portion EM spectrum used in wireless device broadcasts
2 - You can see that it's made up of alot of different signals, but can't really differentiate between them too well (instead of a flickering omnidirectional glare, you can see different "colors")
3 - You can make out individual signals and gauge their relative strengths. You might even recognize types of devices by their signals, if you've seen them before.
4+ - You can pinpoint individual signals and where they originate from (naturally, this also lets you associate a particular signal profile with a particular type of device).

I do have to ask - what practical use, if any, did you envision for this spell (not saying any of them have to have one, I'm actually curious)? While being able to "see" radio waves would be cool and all, the situations where this would come in handy are difficult to imagine. And in every one I can think of, it seems strange that anyone would choose to only have this method available to get around it when there are better options that would also be useful in other situations, as well.
mfb
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Hmm no where do I see the Night Vision/Thermographic spells rendering the target blind? It states grant a voluntary subject low light vision like that provided by the low light gear cybernetic enhancement(P. 332).

low-light and thermographic vision do not open your senses to a realm that is full of what are, effectively, light bulbs. wireless tech is ubiquitous in 2070--people have wireless clothing, for the love of mike. everything you see will glow. some of it will glow so brightly that you'd be able to see the light from space.

even if you decide that the glare is automatically toned down to the point where you're not constantly being blinded (yet somehow are still able to see the glow from much lower-rated transmitters), there's still the matter of identifying where a given radio source is coming from, and differentiating between them. you can't go by color (frequency), because pretty much any level of ecryption is going to include frequency-hopping--they'll all look white, basically. almost everyone you see will have several transmitters on them, plus there will be lots of transmitters in the walls, the floor, the furniture, the sidewalk, the cars going by... it'll be information overload. too much data to be useful.
The Jopp
Technically speaking I see no problem for letting an Adept or Mystic adept use the �Improved Sense� ability to see different visual spectrums. If low-light and Thermographic then Infrared and Ultraviolet vision would not be impossible either.

See here: http://www.hf.faa.gov/webtraining/VisualDi...manVisSys2a.htm

I can very well imagine a character that can see radio waves and electric waves. In the case of “seeing� radio waves I would have the character roll Perception instead of EW+Scan in order to find a specific signal.

It could make a very interesting character – a hacker that has an ability no technomancer has for example.

EDIT

Damn, posted ion wrong thread earlier.
Method
I agree with mfb.

It would be like putting on low-light goggles and standing in front of stadium lighting... cool.gif
WearzManySkins
Adding some RL physics.

All emitted waveforms radio, IR, UV, RF, microwave are made up of photons. Yes radio and visual light photons have different properties but they are still made up of photons.

This spell is a detection spell, it uses the detection spell successes table.

Each source of signal would/could have a different "color" so to speak, and the same for encrypted signals.

The spectrum for WiFi and blue tooth are limited in a specific range of frequencies lets say 2.6 Ghz to 3.0 Ghz.

In the visual spectrum, light is being reflected all most everything.

As for the glare I guess I will have to build in flare comp. biggrin.gif

Mostly this spell is to prove a point, wireless can be "seen", then the magical LOS can be used to target it.

TonkaTuff very nice table.
psykotisk_overlegen
I see no problem with this, it's a cool idea. The signals used by wireless technology is just a different set of wavelengths than visible light, and if thermovision is possible, so should "radiovision" be possible.
Since this most resembles the Thermographic vision spell, and that spell does not state that what you see using that spell cannot be targeted (like clairvoyance and cryptesthesia does), you can. However, recognizing which signal belongs to which device would be next to impossible, especially in crowded areas. Though if you can see the transmitter of a device (with your regular vision), you can probably tell which signals originate there.

As for the glare problem, the same thing could be said about thermographic vision, or even regular vision. The outside is on a sunny day flooded with radiation from the visible part of the spectrum, but that doesn't keep us from seeing stuff. The wireless signals would be more like looking at a room filled with colored candles, than a stadium light, unless you are staring straight at a radiomast or something.
pbangarth
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 29 2007, 06:38 AM)

The Jopp, I can't get your link to work.
mfb
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Each source of signal would/could have a different "color" so to speak, and the same for encrypted signals.

how do you differentiate between signals sent from one transmitter versus those sent by another, except frequency? you're already diffing amplitude, that's what gives you brighter or dimmer. a "see light from flashlights" spell shouldn't show light from different flashlights as different colors--the flashlight has no properties that it imparts to the light it emits, so there's nothing for the spell to diff with. you could just say the spell diffs magically, but that should raise the drain code since the spell is no longer simply allowing you to see radio waves, it's allowing you to detect differences in radio waves that don't actually exist--effectively, you're adding the function of the Catalog spell to your sense spell.

as far as targeting radio waves, this really wouldn't help. as has been pointed out, a simple area spell will allow you to affect radio waves. targeting the actual radio waves with a spell is useless--it'd be like targeting some of the water in a river. even if you somehow managed to target only water from a single source, turning that water into butterflies won't stop the source from sending more water--unless it's an area spell, in which case you don't need to see the radio waves to work anyway because you're not targeting the radio waves.
WearzManySkins
MFB you are referring to the use a AM there is also FM. You can also bring into phase shifting and other exotica of radio signal transmission.
Backgammon
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen)
I see no problem with this, it's a cool idea. The signals used by wireless technology is just a different set of wavelengths than visible light, and if thermovision is possible, so should "radiovision" be possible.
Since this most resembles the Thermographic vision spell, and that spell does not state that what you see using that spell cannot be targeted (like clairvoyance and cryptesthesia does), you can. However, recognizing which signal belongs to which device would be next to impossible, especially in crowded areas. Though if you can see the transmitter of a device (with your regular vision), you can probably tell which signals originate there.

As for the glare problem, the same thing could be said about thermographic vision, or even regular vision. The outside is on a sunny day flooded with radiation from the visible part of the spectrum, but that doesn't keep us from seeing stuff. The wireless signals would be more like looking at a room filled with colored candles, than a stadium light, unless you are staring straight at a radiomast or something.

Hooold on there.

We don't see light. We see light bouncing off of stuff. You don't actually see the light particle/wave floating around you. If you could see that, well, you'd be as good as blind, since you would see too much.

Likening seeing radio waves to seeing with thermo/low-light is not AT ALL the same thing. If the spell proposed to see devices emitting radio waves, perhaps giving such devices a glow, then it would be like seeing with thermo, and then it would make sense. Proposing to see radio waves is ridiculous.
Moon-Hawk
Hope this hasn't already been brought up. I'm trying to read all this, but I'm starting to glaze:
In old editions, magic could not provide line-of-sight. Of course, then that got all messed up an a FAQ about invisible doors, but you could not, for example, use clairvoyance to target spells. AFAIK this quote hasn't been repeated in 4th ed, which is a shame, because I always felt it was a very good idea that "Magic can not provide LOS."
Oh well.
Lagomorph
A problem with seeing by WIFI is that the wavelength of the photon of a 3ghz connection is 100 meters, that means you couldn't resolve any item to less than 100 meters. As a rough rule of thumb, a particle can only probe down to distances equal to the particle's wavelength.

I think that it makes perfect sense to allow a spell to see radio sources, but you would have trouble other than knowing there are blobs here or there. Unless you start using shorter wavelengths, but then you don't have as many sources for that.
mfb
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
MFB you are referring to the use a AM there is also FM. You can also bring into phase shifting and other exotica of radio signal transmission.

no, i'm talking about FM. the frequency of any radio signal with any amount of encryption--which really ought to be all of it, and maybe even unencrypted signals, depending on how they decide to split frequencies between the thousands of transceivers that are going to be all talking at once in any one-block area--is going to be changing several hundred times per second randomly (not really random, but close enough). all those different frequencies are going to just blur together into a single color, because peoples' brains don't work fast enough to separate them--they'll all just look white. and even if they did, nobody's got the mental acuity to differentiate red - green - blue - orange - yellow - green - red from orange - red - blue - orange - green - blue - yellow (to describe a sample 1/100th of a second). it'd be like having two disco balls spinning in front of you, and trying to figure out which one a particular beam of light reflected off of.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
A problem with seeing by WIFI is that the wavelength of the photon of a 3ghz connection is 100 meters, that means you couldn't resolve any item to less than 100 meters. As a rough rule of thumb, a particle can only probe down to distances equal to the particle's wavelength.

I think that it makes perfect sense to allow a spell to see radio sources, but you would have trouble other than knowing there are blobs here or there. Unless you start using shorter wavelengths, but then you don't have as many sources for that.

<Puzzled look> the waveguide of some my radars was at or near that range, that waveguide was not 100 meters across. Lets say I could cover most of it two fingers of my hand.

The width of waveguide is determined by the frequency of the RF signal being transmitted.

Most of todays microwave ovens are in the gig range, I doubt that my microwave is using 100 meter waveforms.
WearzManySkins
here is a link

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-wavelength.htm

3 gig hertz is 0.0999 meters or 9.9931 cm.

Also 3 gig hertz is 3000000000. Looks like you were using 1 mega hertz.
Lagomorph
Ah, I was off by a factor of 1000, the resolution would be 100 mm. I apologize.
bait
A couple other factors to consider.

1.) Wifi radiates and isn't a point to point beam
2.) Except for dead zones, most areas would be saturated by wifi, natural and other radio waveforms. ( Basically looking directly at a flash bang.)
The Jopp
The physics on how radio waves function and how a magical ability that lets you see it might not be the same thing. I can very much imagine that wi/fi vision would see the signal source, not the signal in itself.

Depending on signal strength it might be brighter or dimmer. Walking down the streets of seattle might have thousand of tiny pinpricks of light from tags and small candle lights from commlinks, and signal towers might be more like miniature suns.
odinson
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Technically speaking I see no problem for letting an Adept or Mystic adept use the �Improved Sense� ability to see different visual spectrums. If low-light and Thermographic then Infrared and Ultraviolet vision would not be impossible either.

I can very well imagine a character that can see radio waves and electric waves. In the case of “seeing� radio waves I would have the character roll Perception instead of EW+Scan in order to find a specific signal.

It could make a very interesting character – a hacker that has an ability no technomancer has for example.

EDIT

Damn, posted ion wrong thread earlier.

Isn't thermographic seeing the infrared spectrum? Low light just amplifies the ambient light so it's not really changing your senses just making them a lot better.

Side thought; do people with natural low light vision see colour when using it? I would guess that it would just be an increased number of rods in the retina that allow for the night vision so there would be no colour but the description in the equipment section says they can see normally.
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen @ May 29 2007, 09:39 AM)

Hooold on there.

We don't see light. We see light bouncing off of stuff. You don't actually see the light particle/wave floating around you. If you could see that, well, you'd be as good as blind, since you would see too much.

Likening seeing radio waves to seeing with thermo/low-light is not AT ALL the same thing. If the spell proposed to see devices emitting radio waves, perhaps giving such devices a glow, then it would be like seeing with thermo, and then it would make sense. Proposing to see radio waves is ridiculous.

No, we see light. When we look at stuff, we are seeing the light bouncing of it, but when we look at a light source, we see light.

If we were able to see radiation on the radio frequencies we wouldn't be able to see them as rays zooming through the air or something, but it would be like the light we usually see. Bouncing of items around us, and glowing out of items transmitting them.

So in effect, one would see an area "illuminated" by all the wireless communication bouncing off of everything, and transmitting comlinks would be glowing or shining. A directional signal travelling past you however, would be invisble (like a laser sight aiming at something next to you), you would see the point where it hit something however, or maybe you could see it if there was some refracting stuff in it's path (like a laser through smoke). Most commlinks however, aren't directional, they transmit in all directions and so would glow or shine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012