Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Great Awakened Pig
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trigger
Recently the biggest hog ever was found and killed. The thing is 9'4" long and weighs over a 1000 pounds, making it now my example of a great and dangerous awakened animal. But if it is around now, what is going to happen when the Awakening actually does happen?
The pig and story found here...

MITJA3000+
Interesting stuff. Makes you wonder how big animals are there, in places where humans don't dwell.

Kinda weird though, isn't .50 a big round? And this kid is 11, blasting away with that handcannon...
Trax
He was surely holding it with both hands, as apparently anyone using it would. Unless you are Cybered, or a Troll. Maybe even an Ork.
pbangarth
I'd be interested in examining that photo.

By the look of it on the link site, it could have been posed in such a way as to make the pig look bigger by having the kid farther back in the field of view than is implied.
Kagetenshi
Or just superimposed, yeah. I'm not exactly ready to call it a fake, but the fact that no part of the kid overlaps any part of the pig triggers warning bells.

~J
Ancient History
Every couple of years you get another pigzilla out of Georgia.
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Or just superimposed, yeah. I'm not exactly ready to call it a fake, but the fact that no part of the kid overlaps any part of the pig triggers warning bells.

~J

that and other issues.
all the pics of the pig do that (there are only 3) instead of the plethora that there would normally be
the weight of the pig is wrong, the scales supposedly used weigh to the nearest tens not the nearest ones.
in addition no one saw it weighed, a pig of that size you'd be showing everyone, not keeping it a secet.
in addition no one has confirmed it.
I'm already calling it fake. based on they are not acting like someone would if they had really bagged that animal, in addition to the previously mentioned items
bclements
One, that pig used to be someone's pet (I.E. wasn't born wild). The kid probably could have walked up to it and put a round in it's head.

Two, this looks to be in a fenced-in game hunting ground. As someone that still hunts occassionaly, I guess I'm ok with that, but don't try to let on that you've slogged through swamps tracking this monster boar and just barely fended it off before putting it down. This was a trophy 'go shoot this now, son', not a hunt in any sense that I'd use the word.

EDIT:

Kinda weird though, isn't .50 a big round? And this kid is 11, blasting away with that handcannon...

Oh yeah, the hog hunters I know don't let their kids out with them until older than that kid. And it's usually done with handguns, .44mag or something similar; wild hogs are typically found (at least around here) in fairly heavy brush. You wouldn't necessarly be able to raise a rifle at all.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (pbangarth)
I'd be interested in examining that photo.

By the look of it on the link site, it could have been posed in such a way as to make the pig look bigger by having the kid farther back in the field of view than is implied.

Ya I noticed that the pig is a little to Out of Focus.

I'm crushing your head. I'm crushing your head.
knasser
So if I'm reading this right, the story consists of someone's pet pig being sold, put in a large pen and then shot at repeatedly by an eleven year old who's father is subsequently very proud of him.

Is that the gist of it?
Angelone
Yes, yes it is frown.gif
pbangarth
Yes, it does sound bad when put that way. As disgusting as it seems to me (if true), there is another take on setting up the kill that way.

A while back I watched a TV documentary showing a lioness (cheetah?) bring home a baby animal for its young to practice killing. It took two days for the young cat to figure out how to kill the thing, and mom had to keep catching it and bringing it back.

So, the dad's behaviour could be said to be natural, if not humane. wink.gif
djinni
QUOTE (pbangarth)
So, the dad's behaviour could be said to be natural, if not humane. wink.gif

and still no credible witness has been able to certify the size of the pig.
PBTHHHHT
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/monster.p...g.ap/index.html

The original owner of the pig even says it's a big pig and is pissed that people are saying the photo is doctored.
djinni
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jun 4 2007, 10:43 AM)
The original owner of the pig even says it's a big pig and is pissed that people are saying the photo is doctored.

I did say credible... >.<
pbangarth
Anybody up for starting a collection to pay for the kid's flight to Germany? Then let him loose in the Black Forest to hunt wild boar. See which one walks out the next day.
snowRaven
There's another picture with the kid and the wild hog on their homepage: http://www.monsterpig.com/New_Folder/jamison2.jpg

There you can see the ACTUAL size of the pig, confirming that the kid is further back in the cnn picture.

Based on that image, I'd say the animal can't be much longer than 8 feet from snout to the base of it's tail (still impressive, though) - perhaps if you let the tape measure follow the curves of it's back you'll get 9'4"...
Snow_Fox
As soon as i heard that, I knew it wasn't a fake. When I lived in NY there was a county farm we'd visit, I'd disturb my husband, who's jewish and deosn't eat prok, by looking at the pigs and refering to them by their cuts- There's bacon, and little ham...etc he got really distrubed when they started responding to the names! But the king boar was in his own pen and was over 1,100 pounds. they had him on a diet. But having seen that monster- Spare ribs-i oculd easily believe in a 1/2 ton pig.
Demon_Bob
Sometimes I think the difference between farm kids and city folk is that the farm children expect their pet pigs to end up on the dinner table.

Having both Rammsteign and Ricky Skaggs in the CD player gets some strange looks when its on random play.
hyzmarca
I remember the old joke about the three-legged super-pig that saved the family from a house fire. Why does it only have three legs? Because you don't eat a pig like that all at once.

However, I must say that hunting this guy was rather wasteful. I'm a catch-and-release advocate, myself. With a pig like that, domesticated as it is, a hunter could just count coup on it without placing himself at undue risk.

Snow_Fox
How do you hunt and release a ham hock? spare ribs, fat back,chops? Loin? gods i'm getting hungry, where's the apple sauce?
Ravor
True, but as big as the pig was it must have been old, and I wonder exactly how much of the meat was worth as anything other then hamburger as tough as it must have been.

Besides, although I've hunted all my life and have killed my fair share of critters for meat as well as 'varment control' I get a little creeped out by people who hunt solely for sport.

Still, too each their own I supose, I don't have to like something to accept its validlity.
Kagetenshi
I'd say that pork wasn't worth much as hamburger. Ground pork, maybe, but I'm sure as hell not paying much for hamburger made from a pig.

~J
Ravor
Hey now, Pork Burgers aren't too bad. cyber.gif
Kagetenshi
Sure, and chicken tastes good too. But just like I wouldn't pay for chicken labeled as beef, I wouldn't pay for ground pork labeled as hamburger.

~J
djinni
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
domesticated as it is, a hunter could just count coup on it without placing himself at undue risk.

that's like walking up to your dog and touching him on the head and claiming victory because you "hunted" him.
Kagetenshi
I do that all the time.

~J
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I do that all the time.

~J

you don't have your own websight proclaiming how many victories you've had wink.gif
Kagetenshi
I can fix that!

~J
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 7 2007, 12:15 PM)
I can fix that!

~J

send me the link! and I'll start counting up my "kills!" and rating their difficulty...
lunchbox311
Here is a link talking a little about Hogzilla and the newer one presented here.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp
djinni
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
Here is a link talking a little about Hogzilla and the newer one presented here.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp

the monsterpig site "now" claims they never said anything about it being a record breaker etc...
and they've taken down all the previous site that had them claiming it to be the biggest wild hog ever...they keep changing their story...
anybody find a credible witness that verified the size of the pig?
Snow_Fox
I'll believe them of the size of the pig, like i said I've seen 1/2 ton porkers that were huge but not considered record makers. I think they took down the site because they were getting called on the 'hunting' and 'wild boar' stuff. Actually, except for food 1,000 pound boar is pretty useless. apparently at that size they lose all interest in sex and cannot get into position so they are no good servinig a sow.
PBTHHHHT
So the only way for them to reproduce is for Mike Rowe and his Dirty Jobs crew to come in and collect some samples? wink.gif

Hmmm... that almost sounds like I was talking about a shadowrun team. rollin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
So the only way for them to reproduce is for Mike Rowe and his Dirty Jobs crew to come in and collect some samples? wink.gif

Hmmm... that almost sounds like I was talking about a shadowrun team. rollin.gif

Hmmmm. Thank you. I have my next adventure to write up. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll stick a PDF up.

Thanks, PBTHHHHT. Don't worry - you'll be credited. biggrin.gif

-Tal.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 5 2007, 11:15 PM)
domesticated as it is, a hunter could just count coup on it without placing himself at undue risk.

that's like walking up to your dog and touching him on the head and claiming victory because you "hunted" him.

About the same as shooting your dog in the face and claiming victory, only far less depressing.

PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Jun 8 2007, 02:36 AM)
So the only way for them to reproduce is for Mike Rowe and his Dirty Jobs crew to come in and collect some samples?  wink.gif

Hmmm... that almost sounds like I was talking about a shadowrun team.  rollin.gif

Hmmmm. Thank you. I have my next adventure to write up. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll stick a PDF up.

Thanks, PBTHHHHT. Don't worry - you'll be credited. biggrin.gif

-Tal.

Uhm... I guess I should be proud... indifferent.gif

Still, I can't wait to see it and maybe use it on some poor, unsuspecting players. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012