Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possession and Attribute Maximums.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HappyDaze
A human's pysical attributes are limited to 6 (9). If this human has all stats at 3 and a Force 6 Spirit uses Posssession, all of those will be enhanced to 9. No problem. However, what if we have a stronger body - say one with scores of 5 in all physical attributes - will the Spirit be able to increase these all to 11 or will the human limitation of 9 kick in?
Kazum
Good question, but i personaly think, that 9 is the limit, because as far as i remember 9 is also the limit for cyber-enhancements or bioware-enhancements. I believe, that physical attributes beyond this are just biological impossible ( you can't carry more weight, because you would break your bones, etc.)
Demerzel
No. There is no limit to the powers the spirit can enhance the form. Way back I asked about this and Synner gave me the answer. I'm just too lasy to look it up now... nyahnyah.gif
Demerzel
This thread was about inhabitation, but the powers and limits discussion may be of value.
Kyoto Kid
...so once again, magic trumps tech.

Possession is one thing since the Spirit is in control of the character (which is technically in control of the GM) because the the mental attributes of the spirit (and skill set) are used. Channelling is another matter entirely since the character has control of his or her mental capabilities (and skills). Somehow I do not relish the thought of dealing with seriously ubermensch PCs.
Synner
Actually, after much discussion while preparing the Street Magic Errata and FAQ update, the developers collectively decided that the official ruling is that both Possession and Inhabitation can only enhance the (meta)human body so far - meaning the next FAQ will clarify that Possession and Inhabitation max out at the augmented attribute limits.
Demerzel
Good to hear official word, especially when it involves a change. Thank's for your prompt replies (in both threads) Synner.
Kyoto Kid
...yay biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Synner)
Actually, after much discussion while preparing the Street Magic Errata and FAQ update, the developers collectively decided that the official ruling is that both Possession and Inhabitation can only enhance the (meta)human body so far - meaning the next FAQ will clarify that Possession and Inhabitation max out at the augmented attribute limits.

Oh fuck no. Peter don't do that please.

-Frank
Aaron
QUOTE (Synner)

Can it pretty please fix the moving ward thing, too?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 5 2007, 10:58 AM)

-Frank

I'd like to hear your argument, Frank.
Synner
QUOTE (Aaron)

Can it pretty please fix the moving ward thing, too?

Care to clarify what still needs fixing with the "moving ward thing" following the last errata and FAQ?
Jack Kain
I think he means that whole deal with how can you anchor a ward to a trunk.
hyzmarca
I like that you can ward a trunk. It makes for good flavor. You can put a ward on the trunk of your 1967 Chevrolet Impala so that spirits can't break in and steal your demon-hunting equipment.

Capping atributes makes possession significantly less powerful and raises some interesting issues. If the metahuman body can only be enhanced so much, then what is the attribute limit of a half-assed soft clay golem? How about a paper golem?

Theoretically, you could have a three-inch tall flat paper cut-out doll with stats superior to those of any metahuman host if you impose atribute limits on metahumans and only metahumans.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 5 2007, 12:39 PM)

-Frank

I'd like to hear your argument, Frank.

OK, the possession traditions were written and playtested with no caps. I know: I wrote and playtested them.

The primary reason that possession traditions have uncapped physical attributes is that materialization spirits have uncapped attributes. Spirits are very strong in 4th edition shadowrun, and possession traditions are supposed to be a match for the ones in the basic book. The most combat effective spirit you can summon for a materialization tradition is the Air Elemental. It is really good. It flies around super fast, it has an Agility of F+3 and a Reaction of F+4. And it has Elemental Attack, and that's as good as it gets.

Why is that as good as it gets? Because Spirits roll a crap tonne of attack dice and have huge defense pools, but are otherwise fairly offensively anemic. Even Elemental Attack takes a Complex Action to use and is thus substantively inferior to a Heavy Pistol with armor piercing rounds. A spirit is very hard to hit, but a high-endcharacter should have no problem blowing one away in a turn if she actually connects. A called shot from even a side-arm does a base 9P with an AP of -5, meaning that a hit of any sort bypasses the "immunity" of a Force 7 spirit, allowing the Force 7 spirit to roll ~16 dice to soak 10 or more boxes of damage - throw in a second shot and you've got a dead spirit. On the flip side, our Force 7 spirit throws deadly lightning bolts that do a base 7P at -1/2AP. That has got to hurt, a good hit is going a to do a pile of boxes to the victim - but there's no second shot so it's actually weak sauce as an attack. But of course, if he enemy doesn't hit, then your spirit doesn't take any damage at all. The Force 7 Air Spirit has a ranged defense of 11 dice, 18 dice on full defennse.

---

A street samurai gets 4 Initiative passes. A spirit only gets 2. A Street Sam really will run right over a Force 8 or 9 Spirit. She can match the spirit with a full defense action for each of the Spirit's attacks, and gets two more attacks besides. Quite appropriately, the street sam will win. But it's kind of scary. It's kind of scary because the spirit has crazy huge attributes. The spirit has a higher initiative and gets to act first. The spirit rolls more dice on the attack roll than the sammy does and has a bigger base defense pool. These are the things that the spirit uses to keep playing the same game against an advanced street sam who has Synaptic Booster 3, a smartlink, and a Synthacardium.

It's entirely appropriate of course that the spirit loses. The magician is out there doing other awesome stuff and the sammy isn't. But the standard really is that the high force air elemental gives the samurai a run for the money before being disrupted.

---

But back to the possession tradition. It is placed inside a world that already has this as a balance point. Only now you're talking about an advanced magician who channels a spirit into himself - in short a magician who doesn't have a character separate from the spirit. One would hope that the fight between the samurai and the possessed magician would be a little closer, right? And indeed it is - the spirit has higher attributes, starting with the magician's Reaction instead of 4.

But what Peter just said is that he's going back and capping the possession spirit's reaction at 9, and doing nothing to the Air Elemental. Suddenly the Force 8 or even Force 6 Air Elemental has a lower reaction, he's actually easier to hit than the Air Elemental is. He goes later in the round, he rolls less attack dice. He is, in short, in all ways inferior. And to add insult to injury, the possession magician is still removing himself from combat and spending a metamagic technique for the pleasure of having a spirit that is less mobile and has worse stats.

---

It looks to me like Peter and Rob haven't played high-end possession spirits at all, and are making a sweeping change that will have little effect on starting characters and totally invalidate houngans with a substantial amount of experience.

It would be one thing if this was part of an overall plan to make summoning drain much less deadly and spirits in general less overtly terrifying at the high end. But it's not. It's just a statement that possession magicians can't even play the game once things have advanced to the point where Forces of 7-9 become standard.

-Frank
HappyDaze
I agree with Frank. If this change is done, it will almost force Possession Traditions to use Homonculi (Wicker Man, etc,) since they don't appear to have similar limitations. The downside is that such things are even more limiting in many cases.
HappyDaze
I do find it odd that Possession Tradition magicians seem to have much to gain from taking the Ork metatype (Troll too, but not if you want high Agility) and then NOT pushing the physical attributes. So comparitively 'puny' Orks and Trolls will be favored if this change is implemented.
Moon-Hawk
Thanks Frank. You've got some good points there. Some very good points indeed.
hmmmmmmmmm
Whipstitch
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jun 5 2007, 02:15 PM)
So comparitively 'puny' Orks and Trolls will be favored if this change is implemented.

Which is pretty bad, considering that orks and trolls, from a long term min-maxing perspective, are already pretty favored. The whole BP to KP ratio assures that much. I agree when you say there's no reason to aggravate that situation any further. It's already bad enough that I'm always sorely tempted to start out all my possession tradition orks with a single point of charisma since I can just bump it up to two after a couple of milkruns. Lord knows possession trads generally don't run with a boatload of bound spirits anyway.
odinson
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
I agree with Frank. If this change is done, it will almost force Possession Traditions to use Homonculi (Wicker Man, etc,) since they don't appear to have similar limitations. The downside is that such things are even more limiting in many cases.

Does that matter. Throw down a plasteel homonculi and it's way more powerful than any spirit. It does make sense that the metahuman maxes should be kept for a possesing spirit. Otherwise a guy could make a cybered up troll mage with a str of 15 and be possessed up to a str of 25 and he would do insane damage with unarmed. He could also throw people around like they were little rocks.
Aaron
QUOTE (Synner)
Care to clarify what still needs fixing with the "moving ward thing" following the last errata and FAQ?

So glad you asked.

The Question: Can a ward be placed inside a moving van?

The Official Answer: "A physical anchor cannot move more than a few centimeters relative to the ward enclosure when the ward was created." That's the key phrase and it can be pretty tricky. For instance, if you create a domed ward outdoors using a rock as the physical anchor, and then someone kicks that rock a few feet, the ward will collapse. It has moved more than few centimeters from its position relative to the domed ward at creation. But, if you ward a shipping container using the walls of that shipping container as the physical anchor, and the shipping container is shipped across the Pacific Ocean, the ward does not collapse. The entire warded enclosure is moving, so in the relationship between the ward and physical anchor, it hasn't moved at all from its relationship at the ward's creation.

As an aside, this is also why the spin of the Earth doesn't cause the domed ward around the rock to collapse. Because the entire enclosure is moving with the rotation of the Earth. Until someone kicks that rock, the relationship between the ward and stone remain the same.

My Response: This bugs me to no end. Here we describe a rock that moves and loses its ward, and a box that moves and doesn't. So why didn't the dome on the rock move when the rock did? It's not anchored to the ground, it's anchored to the rock. So if the ward moves with the box, it should also move with the rock, ne? I mean, if a ward can move at all, then why does its shape in relation to its anchor matter?

I'm fairly certain that wards were meant to be immobile. This way, nobody ever has to deal with hot ward-on-ward action. You can't set up a ward within a ward, and you can't overlap wards, but a moving ward can create all of the ugly complications that wards-within-wards and overlapping wards would create. What happens when a ward tries to move through a ward? There are no rules for this, I suspect because it wouldn't happen with immobile wards that cannot be created within one another.

The question here is frame of reference. The ward can't move, ergo if the anchor is moved, the ward collapses. But what is the frame of reference when it comes to moving? Obviously, the rock and the box from the FAQ's example are being treated from different frames of reference: the rock moves with respect to the earth, and therefore the ward collapses, but the box also moves with respect to the earth, and the ward does not collapse.

According to the FAQ, the frame of reference seems to be the largest physical object that the ward (which is in astral space, mind you) encompasses. I dislike this precedent, because my magician could just spend a few days putting wards around my buddy's Samurai's bullets, and then he can go about disrupting spirits and astrally projecting magicians to his heart's content, whether they are materialized or not.

If all wards act with the same frame of reference, what could it be? An inertial frame of reference is silly, since the world is traveling far too fast for a ward to ever be stationary. I think the most obviously appropriate frame of reference is the Earth herself, the Gaiasphere that generates the astral field in the first place.

Of course, it would be a lot easier to point out that while the FAQ's quote from page 123 of Street Magic is to the point, it fails to also point out other passages from that page, including "A ward must also extend at least one meter in every direction from the physical anchor that it is attached to [sic]" (therefore it is impossible to anchor a ward to the walls of a shipping container) and "Wards are not portable astral objects" (therefore wards do not move through astral space). This rather neatly smooshes the FAQ's argument.

This is not even mentioning magical lodges, which are a more permanent form of mana barrier and may also not be moved (SR p. 168).
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (odinson)
Otherwise a guy could make a cybered up troll mage with a str of 15 and be possessed up to a str of 25 and he would do insane damage with unarmed. He could also throw people around like they were little rocks.

So what? Seriously, you're talking about a guy with a Force 10 Spirit. He does 12P unarmed damage. What's the problem?

For perspectively, let's assume that the character put the same average drain (DV 7 for summoning a Force 10 spirit) into casting a Clout spell - that would be a Force 15 spell, which in turn would inflict a base of 15 stun at range instead of only a 12 stun in melee.

Getting really high strength in Shadowrun is simply unimpressive. Not just because the rules for lifting things are non-funcitonal (seriously, the lifting maximums are linear so work horses and work elephants are about 1/3 of the strength that they measurably have in the real world). It's that Shadowrun has cranes, bulldozers, motorcycles, and forklifts. Anything you can do with super strength you can just do with normal equipment.

In the classic critter lists, an elephant was listed as having a srength of 40, and a steam shovel can demonstrably pick up an elephant while that elephant is carrying its own limit of materials. Having a strength of 25 isn't even a big deal. It puts you off the human scale, but it doesn't put you off the scale of things that people in Ayuthaya experience every day. There are real things in human society that are still stronger, faster, and more super than you are.

So honestly, is that the best you can come up with? If a powerful cybernetically augmented troll magician lord conjures a powerful spirit they can pull a John Henry and lose to the Steam Drill anyway?

Is that supposed to be a problem? Because from here it looks like the big problem is that someone just invested probably hundreds of thousands of nuyen.gif and called upon the services of a world strattling spirit and achieved such powrs of strength that a starting rigger could beat by walking onto a construction site and triangle buttoning anything there.

-Frank
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Because from here it looks like the big problem is that someone just invested probably hundreds of thousands of nuyen.gif and called upon the services of a world strattling spirit and achieved such powrs of strength that a starting rigger could beat by walking onto a construction site and triangle buttoning anything there.

Behold the power of the triangle button! biggrin.gif

Oh, and the troll would have an unarmed DV of 13, not 12. Str/2 round up. Not that it changes a damn thing about your point, but this is probably the only chance I'll ever have to correct you on anything. nyahnyah.gif
HappyDaze
Also consider that (AFAICT) the Spirit using Possession ALWAYS has 2 IPs - even if it's in the body of a samurai with Synaptic Booster 3 that would normally get 4 IPs.

The big problem is that Possession can seem overpowered in the early game when even the average human body gives it F + 3 in all physical Attributes. Later, if the attribute maximums are implemented, it becomes impossible to get full effectiveness out of a Possession-based Spirit beyond Force 6 (or so) while the Materialized Spirits just keep getting stronger.

One possible fix might be to allow a Magician with Channeling to add his Initiate Grade to his Augmented Maximums for Spirits he summons that use Possession on his own body. This allows one way for the Possession Tradition Spirits to scale, but it limits them further to just the magician's body (or homonculi) if the Force is going to be very high.
Demon_Bob
I must have missed something. Isn't a spirit in possession of a body in control?
So said possessed person would become an NPC. Who is to say that the spirit has the 'hosts' best interests at heart and is not just using him as a means to an end.
HappyDaze
I must have missed something. Isn't a spirit in possession of a body in control?

The exception is when the summoning Magician has the Spirit use Possession on his own body. He then has 'captain's chair' control. With the Channeling metamagic, the Magician has direct control.
Synner
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 5 2007, 07:58 PM)
According to the FAQ, the frame of reference seems to be the largest physical object that the ward (which is in astral space, mind you) encompasses. I dislike this precedent, because my magician could just spend a few days putting wards around my buddy's Samurai's bullets, and then he can go about disrupting spirits and astrally projecting magicians to his heart's content, whether they are materialized or not.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here.

A ward's frame of reference is not the "largest physical object" that the ward can encompass, but rather its relation with its anchor when the ward is raised (note the anchor must be inside the ward).

A ward must maintain its relative frame of reference with regards to its anchor (though that anchor may move around as long as the ward retains its shape). For instance: I want to ward a room. I tell the gamemaster that I want the ward to conform to the walls of the room (although I could tell him I want the ward to conform to a 5m³ of empty air in the middle of the room). I use the aforementioned rock/a magic circle/a series of candles in the center of the ward as the anchor. Once the ward is created, that relative frame of reference (with regards to the anchor) cannot be changed without disrupting the ward. Hence if the rock/circle/candles are kicked away, the ward is disrupted because the walls remain where they were and the anchor moves.

Were the walls able to move and maintain the same frame of reference with the moving rock/circle/candle (such as in the case of a container) then the ward would not collapse (and yes, this works much the same when warding in the open air though there the ground poses a problem, the anchor must be a meter off the ground if you stick to the rules literally). Hence you can ward a container or a car as long as the anchor remains static with regards to the ward. If the anchor moves the limits of the ward must be able to move with it.

If all wards act with the same frame of reference, what could it be? An inertial frame of reference is silly, since the world is traveling far too fast for a ward to ever be stationary. I think the most obviously appropriate frame of reference is the Earth herself, the Gaiasphere that generates the astral field in the first place.

The thing to grasp is that a ward's frame of reference is internal. What matters is that it remains at the same relative distance it was originally raised at with regards to its physical anchor (which must be inside it - see your quote below).

Of course, it would be a lot easier to point out that while the FAQ's quote from page 123 of Street Magic is to the point, it fails to also point out other passages from that page, including "A ward must also extend at least one meter in every direction from the physical anchor that it is attached to [sic]" (therefore it is impossible to anchor a ward to the walls of a shipping container)

All this means is that a ward has a minimum volume and that regardless of its form and shape, its physical anchor must lie at least 1m inside its perimeter in every direction.

So, technically, no warding bullets (although bullets may be used as anchors, though since you can't nest wards you can only really have a warded bullet/anchor on you at any given time).

and "Wards are not portable astral objects" (therefore wards do not move through astral space). This rather neatly smooshes the FAQ's argument.

All this means is that a ward cannot be picked up and moved.

This is not even mentioning magical lodges, which are a more permanent form of mana barrier and may also not be moved (SR p. 168).

I submit that the fact that magical lodges are a more permanent form of mana barrier is why they can't be moved.
Synner
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 5 2007, 06:54 PM)
It looks to me like Peter and Rob haven't played high-end possession spirits at all, and are making a sweeping change that will have little effect on starting characters and totally invalidate houngans with a substantial amount of experience.

Your reservations were raised and debated when this issue was discussed. It was decided that capping Possession enhancements during normal possession and Channeling is balanced at both the low end and high end.

After reviewing the issue at length it was decided that—besides the ever present possibility of using Possession offensively—a Channeling magician's ability to call on his magical skills and the Possessing spirit's powers at will, the raising of relevant Attributes to their augmented maximums, and Immunity to Normal Weapons represent enough of a bonus in terms of game balance for the cost of Channeling... and consequently there was no need to break the augmented maximum caps.

Should the magician want more physical ooomph, he can always call up a mighty loa of Ogoun (force 12 possession guardian spirit) and have it take over a troll zombie or security guard.
Jaid
so wait... the cap is only for magicians who are channelling spirits?

right... that makes sense...
mfb
well, it's only fair. so a high-end houngan gets no extra benefit from tossing a high-force spirit into a high-Str vessel--so what? how is that any less unfair than a high-Str human getting no benefit from that fourth level of muscle replacement? i think the limits are a bad idea, but it's an even worse idea to apply them unevenly.
HappyDaze
Should the magician want more physical ooomph, he can always call up a mighty loa of Ogoun (force 12 possession guardian spirit) and have it take over a troll zombie or security guard.

Force 12? Why? The most a Troll can get is a 15 in Body and Strength, and you'll hit that with a Force 10 even if we assume the most puny Troll around (Body 5, Strength 5). You'll cap our Agility with a Force 6, and Reaction with a Force 8 (once again assuming the physical minimums for a Troll).

So let's compare:

Force 12 Possession Guardian Spirit (in a Troll's body)
B 15, A 7, R 9, S 15

Force 12 Materialized Guardian Spirit
B 13, A 14, R 15, S 14

Overall, the Materialized Spirit is far superior. Also remember than the as the Force goes up, the Materialized Spirit just keeps getting better while the Possession Spirit has already capped out (in fact, it capped out at Force 10).
HappyDaze
There is also the other side of the coin. Possession Traditions make out well on the low end.

Consider:

Force 4 Possession Guardian Spirit (in a Troll's body)
B 9, A 5, R 5, S 9

Force 4 Materialized Guardian Spirit
B 5, A 6, R 7, S 6

Once again, that's a bottom of the gene pool Troll.

With even a basic human (all 3's in the physical attributes) you'll have a superior set of stats to the Materialized Spirit.
Synner
so wait... the cap is only for magicians who are channelling spirits?

right... that makes sense...

No, the cap is for all possessed living vessels - including those that use Channeling. Frank and HappyDaze are expressing their concerns regarding how this impacts possession magicians Channeling high-force spirits but the caps apply to all possession and inhabitation vessels.

Force 12? Why? The most a Troll can get is a 15 in Body and Strength, and you'll hit that with a Force 10 even if we assume the most puny Troll around (Body 5, Strength 5). You'll cap our Agility with a Force 6, and Reaction with a Force 8 (once again assuming the physical minimums for a Troll).

I chose Force 12 because that's the max force a beginning magician can actually call - to underscore that a possession magician could call up a Force 12 spirit just as easily (or not) as a non-possession magician.

At the high end, statistically, the materializing spirit will be better in terms of Attributes, no question. At the low-end it really all depends on choice of vessels and the spirit being called.

Also consider that (a) if the possession spirit is remains on the astral it is equally powerful (and could still tackle its dual natured materializing counterparts on equal terms), (b) if it should jump to the physical at this power level it will be able to take over an opponent almost automatically, ( c) it still uses all its powers at its normal Magic/Force, and (d) it retains Immunity to Normal Weapons based on Force.

As always, don't like the ruling, feel free to change it. I am simply explaining the reasoning behind it.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mfb)
well, it's only fair. so a high-end houngan gets no extra benefit from tossing a high-force spirit into a high-Str vessel--so what? how is that any less unfair than a high-Str human getting no benefit from that fourth level of muscle replacement? i think the limits are a bad idea, but it's an even worse idea to apply them unevenly.

Yes. This is why the limits being slapped on a possession spirit should be the same asthe limits on a materialization spirit. Which are none, btw.

QUOTE (Synner)
At the high end, statistically, the materializing spirit will be better in terms of Attributes, no question.

That's terrible. Seriously, that's really really bad. I can only conclude that you haven't played high end games, because if you had it would be profoundly difficult for you to be flippant about saying that a materializing spirit will be better in terms of attributes. That's what high end spirits are. They have big attributes, that's the whole point, the beginning and end of everything cool that they do.

When you summon a spirit into yourself you are reducing the total amount of beating that your side can take andreducing the amount of offensive potential your side has relative to just summoning a materialization spirit. Remember that destroying a spirit and a magician who are in two places takes at least one more attack than taking out both at once. Remember also that one mage casting spells while a spirit throws fire bolts is more attacks than having a magician merged with a spirit throw spells or firebolts.

In exchange for reducing your side's overall defensive and offensive potential, you're looking at increasing your personal offensive and defensive potential. And that's a good deal if you happen to be in a situation where enemies are throwing area attacks, or where opponents are so dangerously well defended that a lesser attack wouldn't accomplish much.

But if you're talking about reducing your overall defensive and offensive potential in order to merge yourself with a spirit and become a combined entity that actually is both an easier kill and a worse shot than a materializing spirit would be all on its own, that's just a shit deal.

A big conjurer isn't a Mage with a spirit, he's a platform for releasing SPIRITS. If those spirits are weaker, then he's weaker. It doesn't matter if he has immunity to normal weapons or not, because that's not actually all that great of a power.

QUOTE (Synner)
As always, don't like the ruling, feel free to change it.

1. I don't like the ruling. It's mathematically unsound.
  2. I strongly encourage everyone to not use the ruling.
  3. I strongly encourage you and Rob to rethink this policy because it is very unwise.

-Frank
mfb
if anything, caps should be placed on materialized spirits. it's a closed system, you can't run around breaking it open.
Whipstitch
I agree that this isn't as big of a nerf as some would think, since as Synner has pointed out, magic is still an uncapped stat. On the other hand, since the true power of a spirit lies in its force and powers, then what is the point of bothering to nerf their attributes to begin with? It might make them considerably more durable and maybe marginally faster, but at the end of the day, it's still often far more useful to have 1 mage and 1 spirit working in tandem than it is to have one mage set his powers aside for a in exchange for a marginally buffed spirit.

I just can't help but think of my own SR4 experiences, experiences which have shown me that most people's concerns about Possession Mages is usually just so much baseless handwringing. If you can break the game with a possession mage, then you can break it with a materialization tradition. Except, of course, with a materialization tradition, you can sit around at the coffee shop while Casper does the dirty work, if you so choose.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
I agree that this isn't as big of a nerf as some would think, since as Synner has pointed out, magic is still an uncapped stat.

Actually, Magic is a capped stat, Peter is merely saying that the rule he is writing will cause Physical stats to be capped, but not Mental or Special attributes. It's just a piece of dangerous and turbulent inconsistency. The possession spirits get hosed when using physical abilities, but are completely unaffected whn using purely magical abiltiies (save that their Initiative will be much lower).

QUOTE (mfb)
if anything, caps should be placed on materialized spirits. it's a closed system, you can't run around breaking it open.

As you've doubtless noticed, the game wrks slightly better if you open up all the caps for everyone. And based on the very real chance that even Lofwyr has of simply falling over dead if he tries to bind a Force 12 spirit, it can be said that Spirits already effectively have caps.

However, slapping some spirits with more stringent caps than others is a really obviously bad idea.

-Frank
laughingowl
Have to admit I am going only with the rough idea of SR4 possesion since havent played with it that much.

It seems to me the BIG advantage of Possesion over Materlization is:

Remove an enemy.

Possesion spirit posses one of your enemies. Mage & Spirit still act AND you have one less enemy to worry about.

Here a higher force makes it more likely the possesion works, yet may very likely get capped results.

I would see a good compromsie to this debate.

Forced Poession since the host is still resisting are fixed at normal caps.

Voluntary possesions since the host is actively helping, have no caps and the spirit uses it full effect.

So a Materlization based conjurer.

Can get do his stuff AND have a big buddy running around.

A Possesion based conjurer can:

1) Have spirit posses an enemey: a) Taking a enemy out of the fight, b) Still do 'his stuff', however, the spirit might have capped stats.

2) Have the spirit posses a willing host (himself or others), in which case The spirit will more then likely have 'better' stats then the materlization spirit of the same force, yet the conjurers side lose an ally (be it the conjurer or another voluntary subject).

If the conjurer is the one possed, running around with high teen stats doesnt bother me if talking about a force 10+ spirit.

If the conjurer takes an enemy out of the fight AND has an ally now with high teen stats that seem alittle much.
FrankTrollman
Possessing enemies is very weird from a tactical point of view. Actually, it's so weird and frightening tactically that I opposed its inclusion. But regardless, here's the consideration:

Possessing an opponent is a Save-or-Die action that takes an enemy out of the fight if it works and doesn't do much of anything if it fails. The enemy can be rescued - but probably aren't going to be before the end of the fight. The power for comparison is not Influence, but Engulf.

The thing that makes it really different is that while an Engulfing Spirit can go astral and leave you to die, a possession spirit can wait on the Astral plane and do his attack directly out of the ether. Which is extremely powerful if the spirit is alone, because it means that he can't be attacked by enemies on the physical until he has had a chance to get a good attack in. But if the spirit is coming in with other characters it's a liability since as previously noted the spirit is one of the most resiliant and replaceable characters on their team and if anyone should be the one to get shot at - it's the spirit.

So tactically speaking, having your spirits attempt to possess enemies is something that is usually only a good idea if you are pulling a cheese move where you send disposable spirits in one at a time from a protected vantage point until you run out of enemies or become too drained to continue. And while possession is demonstrably superior at that, it is not because the spirit has any particular set of physical stats at the end of the day. In fact, sending high force spirits for this particular tactic is probably a bad plan, since the entire point is drain and risk minimization.

(As a compelte aside, I didn't want it to be included in the book on the grounds that I find that particular tactic distasteful - recall that I got the unlimited spirits on remote service pulled for much the same reason).

-Frank
laughingowl
Frank where does it say that a possesion cant be an enemy.

While Inhabitation requires a prepared vessel, possesion doesn't.

Nothing I can see limits the test. Considering there is an OPPOSED test, that would pretty much implies an unwilling vessel.

So tactically speaking, having your spirits attempt to possess enemies is something that is usually only a good idea if you are pulling a cheese move where you send disposable spirits in one at a time from a protected vantage point until you run out of enemies or become too drained to continue. And while possession is demonstrably superior at that, it is not because the spirit has any particular set of physical stats at the end of the day. In fact, sending high force spirits for this particular tactic is probably a bad plan, since the entire point is drain and risk minimization.

I disagree the PERFECT place for it is the...

Ohh crap who said anything about a Vampire, Drake, Hell while a better chance of resisting even an enemy mage.

I see it as very useful for that one very high force spirit kept for an emergency.

Sure you may very well on the fly summon and channel Tim the tank, to keep yourself alive (as mentioned), but you have that one service force 12 bound spirit for the Ohh crap.

As mentioned tell him to posses (the biggest threat you have) and you have a low risk (unless somebody goes astral can stop the spirit and tangling with a force 12 spirit on the astral is painful) way that if going to take out MOST opponents... AND give you a very significant extra punch.

You may not intend possesion of enemies but from my printing of street magic I sure cant see anything that stops it, or even implies that this is the case (since there is an opposed roll), and IT is the major advantage of possesion versus materlization.

Weaken enemy AND Strengthen your team....
FrankTrollman
Frank where does it say that a possesion cant be an enemy?

Nowhere. We were just having a discussion about the tactical utility of using possession on your enemies, so it would be pretty weird if I was also claiming that you couldn't use possession on your enemies.

but you have that one service force 12 bound spirit for the Ohh crap.

Uh... sure. I'll just go down to the store and bind a Force 12 Spirit. OH WAIT! If I do that I'll fucking die! Do you know what happens when you bind a Force 12 spirit?
  • It rolls double its force (24 dice), getting about 1/3 that number in hits.
  • You suffer double that number of hits in Drain.
  • That Drain is Physical.
  • If you pass out, your spirit tries to kill you, which it is very likely to do considering that it is Force 12 and you're unconscious.

So on average, binding a Force 12 spirit involves resisting 16 Physical damage that can't be magically healed. If you're going to use an example, you should use real numbers.

-Frank
Aaron
QUOTE (Synner)
There seems to be a misunderstanding here.

I agree, but I think your argument begs the question. Please help clarify a few things.

A ward's frame of reference is not the "largest physical object" that the ward can encompass, but rather its relation with its anchor when the ward is raised (note the anchor must be inside the ward).

Assume a ward anchored to a rock in a cargo container; the ward is in the same size, shape, and position as the container.

If I go inside and move the rock, the ward collapses, right?

If a crane moves the rock by lifting the cargo container, the ward does not collapse, but rather moves, right?

If this last is correct, how is this not moving the ward? What forces are at work that allow the ward to move? Why does the ward collapse when I change its position relative to the warded area, but not the crane? Is the cargo container somehow imparted some magical properties because it happens to occupy a space that corresponds to the warded area, even though it is not the anchor?

A ward must maintain its relative frame of reference with regards to its anchor (though that anchor may move around as long as the ward retains its shape). For instance: I want to ward a room. I tell the gamemaster that I want the ward to conform to the walls of the room (although I could tell him I want the ward to conform to a 5m³ of empty air in the middle of the room). I use the aforementioned rock/a magic circle/a series of candles in the center of the ward as the anchor. Once the ward is created, that relative frame of reference (with regards to the anchor) cannot be changed without disrupting the ward. Hence if the rock/circle/candles are kicked away, the ward is disrupted because the walls remain where they were and the anchor moves.

Would the ward collapse if the walls are torn down but the anchor left undisturbed? If not, why is the position of the walls important if the entire room were moved? If so, would a person or large object entering or leaving the warded area cause it to collapse because the relative area within the warded area has changed?

Were the walls able to move and maintain the same frame of reference with the moving rock/circle/candle (such as in the case of a container) then the ward would not collapse (and yes, this works much the same when warding in the open air though there the ground poses a problem, the anchor must be a meter off the ground if you stick to the rules literally). Hence you can ward a container or a car as long as the anchor remains static with regards to the ward. If the anchor moves the limits of the ward must be able to move with it. [emphasis mine]

If the anchor is moved, what is keeping the ward from being able to move with it? Sure, the ground is an astral presence, but what if my rock was in a skyscraper? Are the physical walls somehow affecting the astral construct of the ward without being anchors themselves? It seems to me that the rules are fairly explicit that the anchor is what is important to a ward, and not what it envelops.

The thing to grasp is that a ward's frame of reference is internal. What matters is that it remains at the same relative distance it was originally raised at with regards to its physical anchor (which must be inside it - see your quote below).

So I can actually kick an anchor placed on top of a building, and as long as the ward moved with the rock, it would not collapse? If not the anchor, what keeps a ward in place when it is in a room, the walls?

All this means is that a ward cannot be picked up and moved.

Except that the FAQ and your explanation seem to say that wards can be picked up and moved, albeit only when their shape happens to coincide with some physical object.

I submit that the fact that magical lodges are a more permanent form of mana barrier is why they can't be moved.

I'd argue that as a more permanent form of mana barrier, they'd be more robust, but it'd be academic.
laughingowl
Regardless of how a spirit has entered a vessel, the spirit’s mind has control of the body and the host’s mind (and abilities) is either temporarily subdued (via possession) or destroyed (via Inhabitation)—with two exceptions. A conjurer whose body is possessed by a spirit he summoned can retain some control by issuing mental commands to the spirit (in a manner similar to a hacker/rigger and a subscribed drone). In this case, the conjurer is aware of the spirit’s actions (he still perceives through his body), but he has only indirect control rather than direct motor control. Similarly, an initiate conjurer can use Channeling metamagic (p. 54) to exercise even more control when a spirit he summoned has possessed his body

Consiering the 'exception' is possesing the conjurer (or possesing the conjurer who has channelling), it certainly seems that posseing others are allowed.

The only possible thing that might limit 'just anybody' would be:

The body of a magician or mystic adept is considered a prepared vessel for any spirit he conjures, no special preparation needed. Likewise, an astrally projecting character’s empty body counts as an available vessel, whether it has been specially prepared or not.

However, my reading implies these count as a 'prepared' vessel for inhabitiation (and or +6 dice for possesion test).

Since possesion is specifically stated as not needing a prepared vessel, then the question comes what other vessels would be allowed.
HappyDaze
Since possesion is specifically stated as not needing a prepared vessel, then the question comes what other vessels would be allowed.

Damn near anything. In addition to living creatures, I've seen weapons, armor, vehicles, streetsigns, rocks, and dead bodies (do these need to be prepared as Zombies?) all targeted by Possession.

What doesn't seem to be clear is how homonculi (such as a Wicker Man) are ruled. Are these an exception to normal objects since they can move while Possessed? Are they built for a maximum Force or a specific Force - If a Wicker Man is built for Force 6 can it only be used by a Force 6 Spirit or by any Spirit of Force 6 or less?
laughingowl
Happydaze:

That is pretty much covered in the sence Hommculi are 'prepared vessels'

The 'enchating' process is what makes them mobile (where possesing the statue doesnt).

Inanimate Vessels
An inanimate vessel is a normal object enchanted to act as
a vessel. Inanimate vessels can be more difficult to create than
living vessels because they lack the connection to the astral that
all living things have. Many magicians favor inanimate over
living vessels, however, because of their hardiness and natural
physical attributes.
To create an inanimate vessel, the magician must craft or
obtain an appropriate object. This could be a statue, a skeleton, a
weapon, or anything else. The form is inconsequential to the spirit.
Preparing an inanimate vessel requires a successful Enchanting
+ Magic (Object Resistance x 3, 1 day) Extended Test and two
refined or one radical reagent per 10 kilograms of the intended
vessel. These reagents are consumed during the test.

Homunculus vessels are inanimate bodies specifically crafted
for the magician as vessels and are constructed with hinges,
pivots, wheels, and so on to be able to move in some fashion.
Because its material form is non-living, a homunculus can be
much more physically powerful and difficult to damage than a
dead vessel. Due to structural requirements, a homunculus must
mass at least (10 x Force) kilograms for the spirit to animate it,
and the ritual to create a homunculus requires an additional radical
reagent per 50 kilograms the homunculus masses.

The wicker man, Plasteel Homucilus, Stone homuculus are all homculi.

The rules also state what 'force' can inhabit.

For you wickerman in example.

You have:

To 'craft' the base form you need to do:
Crafting a wicker man requires (Force x 100¥) worth of materials and a successful Artisan (Force of vessel, 1 day) Extended Test in addition to the necessary reagents.  Enchanting a wicker man requires a successful Enchanting + Magic (3, 1 day) Extended Test.

So you would prepare a wicker man at force X and anything up to force X could inhabit / posses it.

You do also have these requirements:
Preparing an inanimate vessel requires a successful Enchanting + Magic (Object Resistance x 3, 1 day) Extended Test and two refined or one radical reagent per 10 kilograms of the intended vessel. These reagents are consumed during the test.

The enchanting test is already mentioned, but you will also need X amount of radicals (depending on the maximum force you want to be able to use the vessel).

Also this might factor in:
Due to structural requirements, a homunculus must mass at least (10 x Force) kilograms for the spirit to animate it, and the ritual to create a homunculus requires an additional radical reagent per 50 kilograms the homunculus masses.

So force 5 or above you going to need a few more radicals do to mass.

Wicker Men or other homuculi are covered pretty well.

What is not really covered it what can be possed WITHOUT being a prepared / enchanted vessel.

While inhabitation requires it, Possesion does not, but no clear guideline on possesion non-prepared vessels are given.
odinson
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
Also consider that (AFAICT) the Spirit using Possession ALWAYS has 2 IPs - even if it's in the body of a samurai with Synaptic Booster 3 that would normally get 4 IPs.

The big problem is that Possession can seem overpowered in the early game when even the average human body gives it F + 3 in all physical Attributes. Later, if the attribute maximums are implemented, it becomes impossible to get full effectiveness out of a Possession-based Spirit beyond Force 6 (or so) while the Materialized Spirits just keep getting stronger.

One possible fix might be to allow a Magician with Channeling to add his Initiate Grade to his Augmented Maximums for Spirits he summons that use Possession on his own body. This allows one way for the Possession Tradition Spirits to scale, but it limits them further to just the magician's body (or homonculi) if the Force is going to be very high.

The problem is that possession spirits aren't limited to just possessing the mage. In the early game it is a good investment to get yourself possessed, later you have all the golems that are uber powerful. You can also have your high force spirits posses that vehicle that unnamed rigger is jumped into and take over all the physical controls.

Your suggestion of allowing the max be exceeded by initiate grade would be a good rule. You could also allow it for initiates with the channeling power even if the spirit wasn't theirs.
Magus
Hold on a minute, you are saying that my Voodoo Priest can raise a spirit and have it possess anyone I want without any preperation? I thought I read in my SM that any living vessels you were going to use possession on had to be prepared prior. Is this wrong, so now I can have any of my spirits suddenly just possess any member of my team at will!! This is truly awesome!
odinson
QUOTE (Magus @ Jun 6 2007, 12:53 AM)
Hold on a minute, you are saying that my Voodoo Priest can raise a spirit and have it possess anyone I want without any preperation? I thought I read in my SM that any living vessels you were going to use possession on had to be prepared prior. Is this wrong, so now I can have any of my spirits suddenly just possess any member of my team at will!! This is truly awesome!

Yeah it is truly awesome. You could bind a bunch of force 4 spirits and have your entire team possessed to buff all there stats up by 4. Much better than learning spells and sustaining all of them to do the same thing.

You could also have your spirits posses a street gang and have some heavy back up if you really needed to.
laughingowl
Frank:

While it works with Materlization spirits in some way possed would be even better.

the spirit is one of the most resiliant and replaceable characters on their team and if anyone should be the one to get shot at - it's the spirit.

Hit check point, bunker, what ever you want.

Now we have to get through and speed is of essence not subtlety.

Summon spirit

Task: Remote service - Go attack and kill people in that bunker / guard house / etc.

Eitehr can do it but:

!) Materlization spirit: Materlizes and starts fighting.

2) Possesion spirit picks a person at random to posses (only real way it could interact with the people in th building to accomplish task). Spirit has already 'defeated' one of the guards.

The guards may be hesitant to shoot their buddy, automated system may not even target the guy with friendly RFID tags, etc.

Even if the spirit is killed the instant it posses the target, unless it is banished, the 'vessel' is also dead/stunned and out of action.

Possesion spirit garunteed to take one person out, and a VERY solid condusion tactic. (especially since it is much harder to notice a possesion spirit in a vessel then a materlizaed spirit, you will get confusion as to whats going on.

A glowing pillar of flame and people are ok, Who sent the fire element.

Bob gets twitchy looking in his eyes, and starts shooting people, maybe hes just had one too many BTLs on his off hours.

Possesing an enemy you can not lose. Materlizing a spirit and you may get nothing out of it.

hyzmarca
Except that your buddies would probably be pretty angry about having their wills subjugated. For a believer of Vodoun, Hudu, Kumina, Voodoo, Santeria, Obeah, Palo, and similar religions would see possession of a divine experience and accept it. Most people, however, would see it as a violation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012