Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisibility Spell and Electronics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
edrift101
I have a player that loves to use the spell, Invisiblity and I'm wondering if this spell would also make him invisible to security cameras, cybereyes and the like. I highly doubt it, but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?
Lagomorph
Thats what improved invisibility is for, regular invis only affects living percievers(including living people with cyber eyes).

edit: i before e..
odinson
improved invisibility does if you beat the object resistance of the camera. Thats at least 4 hits needed.

edit/ damn not quick enough.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (odinson)
edit/ damn not quick enough.

nyahnyah.gif

Actually, your post had other good information that mine didn't include, so it's all good smile.gif
stevebugge
Keep in mind that Improved invisibility only fools cameras, or other technical means of visual detection.

In 2070 a lot os security systems use a lot more sophisticated sensors than just simple cameras, though for cost reasons those are nearly ubiquitous.

Things invisibility does nothing for include:
Pressure Plates
Motion Sensors (usually these work with ultrasound echo location)
Microphones
Seismic Sensors
Radar
Sonar
Ultrasound

Because the spell says it bends light it MAY (probably GM discretion here) work on Laser trip beams.
odinson
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Things invisibility does nothing for include:
Pressure Plates
Motion Sensors (usually these work with ultrasound echo location)
Microphones
Seismic Sensors
Radar
Sonar
Ultrasound

Because the spell says it bends light it MAY (probably GM discretion here) work on Laser trip beams.

I always thought motion sensors were based of off infrared and not ultrasound.

I would also hope that the invisible guy was not relying on just the invisibly and was also using an infiltration skill to help bypass the other sort of sensors.
edrift101
Hmm... I'll have to check and see if he has Improved invisibility before the next game.

Thanks for the help!

WearzManySkins
Do not forget induction field sensors also.
Dashifen
'Course, you're screwed if he has Trid Phantasm instead. Since Trid Phantasm is both physical and multi-sense, if he beats 4 or so hits on the spell, he's could be invisible in every possible way to all devices. Sucks, that one does, but the drain makes it better and the somewhat high object resistance thresholds help, too.
kzt
QUOTE (odinson)

Modern ones are. You can also (and people have) use ultrasound and radar.
Buster
They may also have pheromone detectors, so you'll need Physical Mask to defend against those.

Improved Invisibility + Stealth + Physical Mask + Levitate should let you ghost past everything (except someone walking into you).
Demon_Bob
Use skill for Stealth. Having to many spells up and running is asking for Focus Addiction or having excessive negative modifiers to everything else.

Physical Mask helps with phermone detectors?
WearzManySkins
Including the FAB series for your enspelled character?, biggrin.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Buster)
They may also have pheromone detectors, so you'll need Physical Mask to defend against those.

Improved Invisibility + Stealth + Physical Mask + Levitate should let you ghost past everything (except someone walking into you).

And if you happen in to some of the FAB strain that attaches to astrally active objects and glows, you'll be a glow in the dark pinata
Jack Kain
QUOTE (odinson)

I can see how you'd that, motions sensors ONCE used laser or infrared light. However a trip wire is also technically a motion sensor.

The glass of water in Jurassic Park acted as a motion detector as the T-Rex approached.

However modern motion sensors use sound and in SR when they refer to motion detector they usually say ultrasound sensors which is the proper term.

I think a great and near unbeatable invisibility defense is a heavy curtain, It blocks the entire walkway so your required to push it aside. Something like the plastic flaps sometimes used at in door areas at Zoo's to separate some areas.
Like a doggy door cut into thiner strips.

Lets see an invisible mage get by THAT unnoticed

kzt
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
I think a great and near unbeatable invisibility defense is a heavy curtain, It blocks the entire walkway so your required to push it aside. Something like the plastic flaps sometimes used at in door areas at Zoo's to separate some areas.
Like a doggy door cut into thiner strips.

Lets see an invisible mage get by THAT unnoticed

Secure sites use metal turnstyles that cover the entire entrance. Like this turnstyle It's less subtle, but more effective in keeping people from rushing the checkpoint or tailgating.

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
However modern motion sensors use sound and in SR when they refer to motion detector they usually say ultrasound sensors which is the proper term.

No, modern systems use normally use passive IR (PIR). Like
This one. Which is one we use. Ultrasonic and microwave sensors are still available, but not common. Do a google search for "PIR motions sensor" and "ultrasonic motion detector" and see how many of the hits of each are for production products you can just buy and install in a real commercial security system.
WearzManySkins
Did not Mythbuster's put a hurt on PIR and ultrasound systems in an episode?
Garrowolf
Actually a multi sensory illusion would defeat the turnstile and the curtain because the caster can just edit that image too. Full sensory can defeat sound based alarms as well. Just edit that part out as well. You can provide a guard with exactly whatever you want to with one. You can edit yourself out in every way or simply make yourself look like you belong.
WearzManySkins
As for modern systems, the military uses induction fields, typically along a line/fence/etc. Anything moving thru the line, distrubs the induction field. But with fairly simple electronic tools you can detect it, now getting past it is another matter. biggrin.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Actually a multi sensory illusion would defeat the turnstile and the curtain because the caster can just edit that image too. Full sensory can defeat sound based alarms as well. Just edit that part out as well. You can provide a guard with exactly whatever you want to with one. You can edit yourself out in every way or simply make yourself look like you belong.

The turnstyle typically requires and ID check. So as long as you have a valid electronic badge and your biometrics match the ones on file in the security system you can defeat it. Of course, in SR I'd have it just inside a mana barrier or being watched by an astrally perceiving something, which makes the physical mask trick just a tad bit more difficult.
kzt
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
As for modern systems, the military uses induction fields, typically along a line/fence/etc. Anything moving thru the line, distrubs the induction field. But with fairly simple electronic tools you can detect it, now getting past it is another matter. biggrin.gif

The "Perimeter Security Sensor Technologies Handbook" from 1997 is full of interesting stuff. Google will find it. There is a spiffy new edition called "Handbook of Intrusion Detection Sensors", but it's restricted to government agencies. frown.gif
Crusufix
I know my lovely movement light outside my house uses Ultrasonic to sense the movement.

It' makes a very quiet god awful crackling/popping sound every 5 or 6 seconds which sounds like a bug hitting an electric bug catcher.
edrift101
Damn kzt, that Perimeter Security Sensor Technologies Handbook is amazing. Thanks for the tip!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012