Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: logic attribute... who needs programs?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jun 20 2007, 12:17 PM)
Hey Frank, did you take a look at my house rules a few posts back?  You're pretty good at seeing the unintended consequences of rules, and I'd love to get some feedback from you on them, if you have the time.

OK, the most obvious quetion I have is: what you intend to do with the programs which are thresholds rather than merely dice pools? How much damage does an "attack" do? What is the threhold to find someone if their Stealth is unrated? Technomancers still suffer a -2 penalty while sustaining threads, right? That makes threading a missing form just as shitty as it is now by and large.

It mostly seems that you're charging an incoming Technomancer about 50 Karma for them to "catch up" to a Hacker after which they will have enough CFs to move on with their life and then be totally awesome all the time. So the TM will sit in the corner and cry for about 10 sessions, and then the Hacker will sit in the corner and cry for the rest of the game.

In a twenty session game, that's more-or-less "fair". But while it's a definite improvement, I don't think it's a final solution.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
As for your first question, when I need a program rating for a mechanic, I just use system/response (they're the same 90% of the time anyway) instead.
Yeah, techno's still take -2, but I assume that, just like spells, that doesn't count if they thread, immediately use, and drop; it only applies if they're maintaining it. Maybe I'm wrong in that interpretation, though.
Honestly, I haven't had anyone play a techno yet, so the stuff I have for technos is just me trying to make them work with my other rules. So I don't really have any strong feelings on my techno rules. I was really just trying to get all my players to stop being terrified of hacking.
Good point on the trading off crying in corners.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Dashifen
He's using registered sprite services, Frank, not compiling sprites on the fly. You can keep that up as long as you have services.

I can speak from having three TMs in my games, two by the same player and one by a different one, that it didn't get them killed. It, in fact, made them viable, interesting characters and an important part of the team. Hell, the one of them frequently loaned out its sprites to other characters, too, allowing them to all get involved in matrix action and otherwise be engaged while he was doing his Technomancy stuff.

I understand what you're saying about a TM being weaker than a Hacker if the TM is trying to play the game just like a Hacker. Technomancers require a different style of play than a Hacker and, if a person excels at that style of play, their TM character tends to excel as a TM even if it would fail as a Hacker.
FrankTrollman
He's using registered sprite services, Frank, not compiling sprites on the fly. You can keep that up as long as you have services.

Sure. At 18 seconds per service. That means that if you expend 4 services, you can make one test to search the Matrix. Since it's an extended test, I hope you've got three more services left over to make your second test.

And getting those services involves putting a gun to your head and hoping it isn't loaded when you pull the trigger.

-Frank
Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Yeah, techno's still take -2, but I assume that, just like spells, that doesn't count if they thread, immediately use, and drop; it only applies if they're maintaining it. Maybe I'm wrong in that interpretation, though.

You're (almost) not wrong. If you thread a complex form, say browse, and use it you don't suffer the -2 penalty. But if you thread a complex form like Armor you would suffer the -2 when you use Attack in cybercombat, but not when you defend against attacks using Armor.
sunnyside
At least those are reasonable points.

First off registering level 6 sprites is something you do in your downtime. While the odds of getting lethal rolls from a rating 6 (especially if you use a little edge) are extremly low. You do have to worry about getting knocked out and taking some overflow. Rating fives can be a little risky too but tend to not bee so bad.

And obviously if you have to thread every single prog at rating 6 you'll slowly build up damage.

But remember your competion from the hacker is starting off with rating 5 programs. Matching that is pretty trivial. You could thread to 2 and then bring in an much easier level 4 sprite(which you still register way ahead of time). That gives you the highest rating program a hacker is likely to ever get. All it takes is a little time, and the small chance of biffing the resistance roll for the two damage.

Also, of course, no techno actually runs without any CFs. Typically they're have 10, maybe even 12 of them. Which gives them the more important programs. The threading and spriting is just to fill the gaps.

And that threading/spriting gets a lot easier after the guy spends just 4 Karma getting a CF up to 2, making it now easy to keep 8's going.

Dashifen
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 20 2007, 02:16 PM)

Sure. At 18 seconds per service. That means that if you expend 4 services, you can make one test to search the Matrix. Since it's an extended test, I hope you've got three more services left over to make your second test.

And getting those services involves putting a gun to your head and hoping it isn't loaded when you pull the trigger.

-Frank

I have yet to see someone use this technique to enhance their matrix searches. It just usually isn't time critical to do such a thing, at least in my games, so the TM can use Skill + CF to do so, even if their CF for Browse might be 2 or 3. It may take a few seconds in game to make the search happen, but if one can't take the time to perform the search, then one usually has bigger fish to fry.

Usually, though, when using this technique, one is hacking on the fly. When you have a dice pool of Resonance x 2 + Spirte Rating + Skill, I've yet to see a good hack take more than 3 to 4 seconds.

The one player who had two different TMs both had a Resonance of 5, if I remember correctly, but if not let's use that as a decent baseline. After threading, and with a Rating 5 sprite to help out, you've got Resonance x 2 + Sprite = 15 dice. Then you add your skill, let's say they're a slightly above average hacker and give them a skill of 5 as well. Now you have a pool of 20 dice. Trade that in for 5 hits each round and you can get admin access to a Firewall (4) system in two rounds and only will get the Rating 5 or 6 system on the third. Hacking on the Fly is an interval of 1 Initiative Pass which is, roughly, 1 second. If your rating 5 sprite can assist this operation up to 5 combat turns (15 seconds) and we only need 2 or 3.

You and I have argued about TMs in other threads before, and I often feel like you're trying to make TMs equal to Hackers in every way by using the same tricks as Hackers, and that's just not the case. I agree that summoning and registering sprites can be like putting a gun to ones head, but with the right preparations, good skills, and -- as necessary -- Edge, it's not been a problem for registering spritis (or binding spirits for that matter). Hell, with the helpful application of some buffing spells and a medic standing by, you can bind/register some nasty stuff without worrying about them becoming uncontrolled and kicking your unconscious butt.
FrankTrollman
But if you thread a complex form like Armor you would suffer the -2 when you use Attack in cybercombat, but not when you defend against attacks using Armor.

Note that you're still at a net loss unless you get 3+ hits on Threading. While you are not down 2 dice on the damage resistance test, you're still down 2 dice on the defense roll.

So in Cybercombat, you have two less dice to avoid the attack in the first place, meaning that your enemy is getting an average of 2/3 of an extra net hit on the attack, giving you more damage to resist. If all you're getting is two or less dice of armor, you're in the hole - taking the same amount of damage from attacks which hit, getting hit by more attacks, and being at a penalty to your own offensive and goal oriented actions.

Threading in any circumstance where you are expecting to make more than one kind of test (even if they are essentially the same kind of test such as a defense roll and a damage soak or a traffic intercept and a spoof), is rarely worthwhile.

-Frank
sunnyside
A comment on the rules. It's somewhat up for debate, but I think generally the "threaded programs can't go over 2xresonance" is interprited to mean that if you thread a prog up to 9 and add a level 5 sprite you top out at 12 if your resonance is 6. Personally I like that better. Stealth 12 is awsome for hacking on the fly (and may require no threading). However stealth 18 is just getting a bit ridiculous.

Still part of the rating 12 programs is that while a TM can do everythign a hacker can, the reverse is not especially true. OK the hacker could get really lucky or be flying through their edge of 7.

Consider the Ares system from SR missions: hardware 6 software 6 firewall 10 I believe, and lets say they have to hack it on the fly.

a hacker is in real trouble. He's very likely, even with edge, to require more than one hack on the fly roll. Meaning they system is throwing 24 die at his stealth 6. It likely won't hold. If they take a third roll it's pretty well decided. Then when they land they'll be facing multiple nasty IC right off the bat and probably a spider in a couple moments.

And with that high firewall and high ratings fighting those IC isn't going to be fun.

However a TM with a pile of die can probably hack on the fly in without edge in two rolls reliably. More importantly their stealth 12 will probably hold up to 24 die. Letting them get in the system. Get the paydata and get out.

(Frank posted while I was typing. Threaded armor isn't always good. And personally I think cybercombat isn't an area where TMs shine. True a high rating attack will finish things in one pass, but you may be sacrificing other effects, and depending on your stats your living persona could leave something to be desired. Personally I advocate not getting into fights by having a massive stealth and using a pair of fault sprites if you do get into it. possibly going on full defense and letting the sprites do the work.
Dashifen
That's a fair arguement.

I've seen people thread stealth and exploit when hacking. You just need to get them to at least +3 and you see a return on your threading since you only ever face the -2 for threading Stealth while you Exploit and, thus, you still get +1 to both of them. With the above method of getting CFs to the max of Resonance x 2 without fading, we're still ahead of the game.

Cybercombat's a different story since you generally can't prepare for it, but TMs in my game quickly learned that threading Stealth is a good way to avoid Cybercombat entirely.
Kerris
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
It seems that the game would probably more easily accept a shift in paradigm where programs counted as equipment, thus making the standard dice pool Logic + Skill + Program. This would mean that Hackers would roll as many dice as medics or lockpickers, and substantially more than IC or Agents.

It would require a reimagining of the basic difficulties of Matrix tasks. But as far as I can tell the initial difficulties were never run through probability comparisons (heck, it appears that the different groups of authors and playtesters didn't even know what the others meant). So I'm not at all convinced that this would constitute a drawback.

So here's what it would look like:

Agents are capped at Rating 4, so they would be rolling about 8 dice most of the time. A Hacker PC on the other hand would be rolling about 16 dice (Logic 7 + Skill 4 + Program 5), so having a Hacker come out of the gate facing off against two different Agents would expect to win most of the time (which is actually fine, PCs are supposed to win in normal circumstances, otherwise the story doesn't continue).

An advanced character (~100 Karma) would be looking at Programs rated at 6, skills at 6, and a Logic of 9. Sometimes he'd be throwing down in his Specialization of choice and get another 2 dice or have a circumstantial advantage or whatever. So he's looking at a 21 die pool that'll go up to 23 or even more when you consider such things as Adept powers, Math Processors, Encephalons, and Aptitudes. At that point you really are just going to slam down on a Rating 4 Agent or five without much concern. But since you could plausibly be forced to deal with a number of Agent Smiths equal to the subscription limit of whatever node you happen to be logged onto, that's still not enough to get you through any possible Matrix security.

So just off the top of my head, that seems the direction that things ultimately want to go.

Sorry for the almost necro-post, but I'd like to try Frank's proposed system of Logic + Skill + Program. It makes a whole lot of sense to me. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at coming up with thresholds, so I was hoping to get some help from the Dumpshock community (specifically, Frank). Perhaps we can devlop this system a bit further.

On average, this roll is going to result in 1 extra hit (if I'm correct).

So, for success tests, increase the threshold by 1 across the board.

For extended tests - I'm not sure. Perhaps increase thresholds by 3? Or maybe it's more appropriate to increase by an additional 1/3rd? So, if a threshold for an extended test is 10, the new threshold would be 13. If it were 12, it would be 16, etc.

Opposed tests, obviously, don't change.

What do you think?
FrankTrollman
On average, this roll is going to result in 1 extra hit (if I'm correct).

If you're playing the Hacker out of the BBB (an unsurprisingly poorly made character), you're going to be rolling a 14 die pool instead of a 9 or 10 die pool (depending on which part of the book you believe). That means that you shoot from an average of 3 or 3.3 hits to an average of 4.6 hits. You also go from a 98.3% chance of getting at least one hit to a 99.7% chance of getting a hit.

For the advanced character, however, it goes from a quickly achieved maximum dicepool of 12 or 15 (again, depending upon what part of the book you believe) to a 21 which is achieved in about the same time. So you're going from an average of 4 or 5 to an average of 7.

So the question is: what kind of failure chances are people looking for in hacking attempts. If you're trying for Admin Access, even 21 dice is very unlikely to give you the ~10 hits you need in a single check, and you were already getting that in two attempts about half the time.

So if you wanted to maintain a similar level of success with getting Admin Access you'd increase the threshold increase for attempting better Access by one or two per level (+4 or +5 for Security, +8 or +10 for Admin).

And the incoming Firewall dice don't need to be changed at all because the Stealth threshold has not changed.

-Frank
Kerris
Thanks Frank!
FrankTrollman
Update:

After having talked to some of the designers I have come across an interesting interpretation and the reason that this whole Logic + Hacking vs. Program + Hacking thing is such a mess. Here it is:
  • Some of the Authors believed that the Matrix Dicepool was Logic + Skill, they wrote pgs. 110 and 124.
  • Some of the Authors believed your dicepool was Program + Skill and wrote pgs. 208 and 221.
  • And here's the kicker: some of the authors genuinely believe that there isn't a contradiction between these two points.
Now I know what you're thinking - that seems pretty hard to swallow. But here's the deal: some of the designers straight up believe that there is aplace for the Hacking Skill that doesn't involve using the Matrix, and that that uses Logic + Hacking, while Matrix actions all use Program + Skill.

In short, when pressed Peter Taylor will tell you that when you are pressing buttons on a key pad to try to get the lock open that this is a Hacking test rather than a Hardware test. Which of course is why the FAQ seems like such a contradiction. The guy who actually answered that question has a place in his own games for interacting with physical Hardware without making a Hardware test to do it. And because the rules don't actually mention that particular ability, answers based on that interpretation have pretty universally been derided as incomprehnsible.

So how does it work? It goes like this:
QUOTE (BBB @ p. 124)
Hacking is used to exploit and subvert the programming of computers and electronics, specifically Matrix systems and interactions.
Now, you might think that were one to attempt to to subvert the programming of a device through technical manipulation of a device that you would use the Hardware skill
QUOTE (Hardware)
This skill governs the creation, repair, and technical manipulation of computers and electronic devices.
...but apparently there ae some designers who don't agree. That to them, if you are attempting to subvert the programming of the device through technical manipulation that you can use the Hacking skill (for programming subversion) rather than the Hardware skill (for technical manipulation) if that's what you want to do.

Which means that by this interpretation Hacking is a super skill because literally everything you want to do to electronic devices is an exploit or subversion of the programming of that device. Indeed, all that crap on page 255 about how you need Hardware to bypass maglocks is apparently malarky under this intrepretation because you can actually just hack them by hand and use Hacking instead of Hardware at no penalty.

And if you don't agree with this interpretation, or this interpretation didn't ever occur to you after reading the book, then that is the reason that neither the text on page 223 nor the FAQ made any sense to you at all on this subject.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Which means that by this interpretation Hacking is a super skill because literally everything you want to do to electronic devices is an exploit or subversion of the programming of that device.

Actually, everything that touches the 'firmware' of a device would be Hardware - prominent examples are hot-sim-modding a sim module or permanently chaning your Access ID.

Which is fine by me. The line between hardware and software is blurred today and it will blurr even more in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012