Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergence PDF on sale now!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Adam
The PDF/ebook version of Emergence is now available for sale! The print edition of the book is at the printers now and is slated for a release in late July.

If you haven't checked out the preview of Emergence, you can download the Emergence PDF preview and you can also check out art preview blog entry.
Moon-Hawk
*girlish squeal!!!* wink.gif
runefire32
and downloading biggrin.gif
djinni
QUOTE (runefire32)

AAAAH!! cheater I'm gonna get it first!!!!
runefire32
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (runefire32 @ Jun 22 2007, 02:51 PM)

AAAAH!! cheater I'm gonna get it first!!!!

mmmm sweet sweet emergence
Kerris
I take it that a lot of people here have Addiction - SR sourcebooks, severe

That said, I will be buying this PDF
Rotbart van Dainig
Hey, it's the first release by CGL!
How can you not get it?

..oh, the wait. dead.gif
Unarmed
To buy now, or to wait for the hardcopy to come out, or should I just do both? So difficult.
knasser
Downloading now. Wont fit into my game at all, but hey... it's Shadowrun.
Adam
Combo to get the PDF now and pre-order the print copy at the same time is here: http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=1941
Dashifen
Damn. And it's before the end of the work day. My boss hates you guys right now. At least it's a Friday.....
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dashifen)
My boss hates you guys right now.

Wait till he finds out what happend to the paper in the laser printer... wink.gif
Lordmalachdrim
As much as I want to get this I'm going to wati for the hard copy.
fistandantilus4.0
Three cheers for the New Book Smell!
Unarmed
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jun 22 2007, 10:30 PM)

Wait till he finds out what happend to the paper in the laser printer... wink.gif

I am debating buying it right now so I can print it off here at work.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Three cheers for the New Book Smell!

I like the smell of ozone in the evening.
bibliophile20
I'm torn, honestly. It's cheaper to get it from Amazon, I have it preordered, and it would be in hardcopy--but I won't get it for another month or so.

Or I can spend the extra $1.50 and get it now, but in pdf, which means that I would have to print it out and then eventually buy the hardcopy from Amazon.

*sigh* Time to let my frugality and practicality fight it out with my impatience. Even though it's outnumbered, my impatience is probably going to win.

EDIT:

And it was a shorter battle than I thought.
Abschalten
I almost got the combo.

Until I saw that they wanted $9 to ship a 1.1lb package on a book that only costs $25 by itself. Seriously, who's nuts enough to pay for that? I'll buy the book seperately when it comes out through a cheaper website, or just pester my FLGS into getting and holding a copy for me. nyahnyah.gif

Meanwhile, paying for the PDF. Good times.
Kyoto Kid
...indifferent.gif

Much more interested in the other three offerings, I'll hold my girlish squeals of delight until then.
Rotbart van Dainig
Hm. Nice supplement, this is... at first glance, it looks better than System Failure. But, somehow, I got the feeling something is missing. Perhaps I just missed it, tough.

[ Spoiler ]

Anyone found something?
knasser

Well, I suppose I can't claim the record for being the first to finish it as I've skipped several bits here and there, but I'm a very fast reader and I've now read about sixty-seventy percent of the text.

To those who are wrestling with whether or not to get the PDF, my personal opinion is that there is not much in there that requires a book format. Once you've read the information in it, you're probably not going to need to keep thumbing through it the way you would with the core book or Street Magic or an actual adventure module. And you could conceivably pass some little bits round to your players, but in that scenario, you might as well just print the relevant pages and you'd probably want to black out a couple of parts anyway.

-K.
Ancient History
Hm. Nice supplement, this is... at first glance, it looks better than System Failure. But, somehow, I got the feeling something is missing. Perhaps I just missed it, tough.

[ Spoiler ]

Anyone found something?

There are references. Keep an eye out for them.
knasser
Anyone found something?

[ Spoiler ]
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Sure will, after getting some sleep. I had hoped for more, though.
WearzManySkins
If I get one, it will thru to a vastly cheaper outlet, like Amazon, I some discounts and or coupons that will drop it below $10.00. smile.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Sure will, after getting some sleep. I had hoped for more, though.

Well, it'd be a bit of a mess if we tried to cram everything in there, now wouldn't it?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, it'd be a bit of a mess if we tried to cram everything in there, now wouldn't it?

Actually, it's nearly a miracle that those weren't caught up in the whole mess.
Ancient History
Wait for it...
Rotbart van Dainig
..those aren't random twitches in my face. I am happy and calm...
bmcoomes
Has anyone else have any trouble downloading the PDF? I sure am.

thanks,
Brent
bmcoomes
The Great customer service helped and Now I have the file.
Brent
ShadowDragon8685
Can someone help me?

Is Emergence a book about Technomancers and expanding their rules and such, or is it an adventure, like On the Run writ large? Or is it a strictly flufftastic book, with lots of plot hook potentials sprinkled in?
Adam
It's the latter, ShadowDragon, a campaign overview/event book much like Year of the Comet or System Failure in presentation.
ShadowDragon8685
Ahhhh, got you.

So there's really no need for me to pick it up, since I have no intention of making Technomancers or Technomancy the fulcrum of my game?
Ancient History
Emergene advances the metaplot of the setting, both for technomancers and certain other plot elements-some old, many new. It's not solely about technomancers, but far from essential to play.
ShadowDragon8685
Ahhhh, right. Thanks, that clears up a lot.
knasser

If you (ShadowDragon8685) don't have any technomancers in your game (as I don't), I think you'll find that the unrelenting focus on them is problematic. I wouldn't call Emergence an adventure as such. Not in the way that Harlequinn or others was an adventure. It has very little actual game information and nothing in the way of statistics or maps, results of legwork rolls, etcetera. It's more a series of expanded run ideas where the GM will have to come up with a lot of information themselves. Of course with the lovely streamlined rules of 4th edition, that's a lot quicker and easier, but you still feel that you're creating your own adventures (because you are).

The above might sound critical of Emergence, but I think it is better if people don't have an expectation that it's remotely ready to run when they buy it, because then they'll be a bit miffed and not give it a fair evaluation for what it actually is.

-K.
ShadowDragon8685
I do have a technomancer, but I don't plan to buy Emergence. For one thing, it would be an expense I'd be hard-pressed to justify, given that I only have one technomancer, and no desire to make her or her archtype the focus of the game.
Synner
Emergence is not an adventure nor a campaign book in the sense that it narrates a series of linked adventures. It is similar in approach to System Failure or Year of the Comet. It is an event and campaign book that covers the public emergence of technomancers (and a few other things) on to the scene during the course of 2070 and the repercussions thereof. Much of the book involves the Jackpoints members following events as they unfold around the world and getting involved (or, in a couple of cases, dragged into the action). Though the focus is on technomancers (amongst other things) events quickly escalate. The fallout affects life in the shadows and society at large in a number of interesting ways including sparking security crackdowns, hackers finding themselves confused with technomancers, influencing the Seattle elections, bringing Evo and Horizon some new friends, and bringing a little conflict to FastJack's merry band.

Each of the book's five chapters includes a game information section which provides gamemasters with the relevant context and general behind-the-scenes information so that they can best incorporate events into their own campaigns. This is kept as loose as possible and allows material to be tailored both in terms of location and timeframe. Each of these game info sections also contains a number of appropriate adventure frameworks and simple plot seeds (a system we've used before in MobWar, Blood in the Boardroom, and System Failure). For those unfamiliar with the style, these offer no stats but are intended to allow gamemasters a freehand in adapting both the NPCs and the power level involved to their group's own style of play.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jun 22 2007, 10:30 PM)

I didn't even think of that. I'm not a fan of deadtree edition. They're not searchable and I can never find the page-down button. Stupid deadtrees.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dashifen)
I didn't even think of that. I'm not a fan of deadtree edition. They're not searchable and I can never find the page-down button. Stupid deadtrees.

...yeah, but you don't need to find a power outlet to use the deadtrees version. grinbig.gif

And, after reading the reviews, my interest in emergence remains indifferent.gif As I too pretty much not very endeared to the whole Technomancer concept.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012