Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jerusalem 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gothic Rose
I'm going to be starting a SR4 game soon, and I was curious if Jerusalem is ever mentioned in any of the sourcebooks (old or new)? If not, anyone have any ideas on what may be going on there astrally, physically, and politically?
Ancient History
Shadows of Asia has a section on it while covering the Middle East.

The Old City has been subject to random magical and spirit activity ever since the Awakening, forcing periodic evactuations. In 2046 the UN stepped in and took control, setting up an Ecumenical Council made up of Jews, Muslims and Christians that opened the city to all religions claiming it as holy.

Architectural restrictions have been relaxed somewhat, allowing structures higher than the Temple Mount to be built so long as they maintain certain aesthic guidelines. Magical weirdness (mana warps, astral rifts, incursions of shedim, etc.) continues unabated over some of the most sacred sites like the Western Wall and the Holy Sepulchre.

The big syndicate in town is a Jewish branch of the Vory v Zakone called Maagen David Adom, and the big corporate players are the Frankfurt Bank Association, DeBeers-Omnitech, Ares Macrotechnology and Esprit. The Uzi IV is still the local favorite.

For Quabbalistic magical traditions, check out Street Magic.
Method
QUOTE (Ancient History)
In 2046 the UN stepped in and took control, setting up an Ecumenical Council made up of Jews, Muslims and Christians that opened the city to all religions claiming it as holy.

This has always seemed unlikely to me. Many hardline Jews believe that the Al-Aksa Mosque is built where the Temple of Solomon needs to be rebuilt to usher in the Messiah. The Muslims don't take kindly to Jews demanding the demolition of one of their three holiest sites (Mohammed supposedly ascended to heaven on the Temple Mount).
Ravor
Sure, but I personally don't consider it any more unlikely then Daniel Howling Coyote being able to carve up North America, even with the help of a half-Horror.
hyzmarca
Personally, I have always favored and still do favor the "play nice or we'll drop a nuclear bomb on the damned city; no we're not bluffing" approach to the dispensation of the holyland. Wisdom of Solomon and everything, those who truly care about Jerusalem will compromise to avoid its destruction. And if no one compromises, then they won't have a holyland to fight over at all. Its win-win either way for those of us who favor peace.

If the UN took this stance, then I can certainly understand a joint Ecumenical Council that is actually able to function. The moderates who don't want Jerusalem to be nuked would just beat the hardliners to death with large dradels .
kzt
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If the UN took this stance, then I can certainly understand a joint Ecumenical Council that is actually able to function. The moderates who don't want Jerusalem to be nuked would just beat the hardliners to death with large dradels .

The is a long history of UN peacekeeping in Jerusalem. The 1967 attack by the Jordanians that went right through the UN peacekeepers compound is an example of how effective it has been. . . .

And one kind of wonders how eager the people supplying the firepower are to get into the city trading business. Nuking the 3rd holiest place in Islam and getting London, Paris, Frankfurt, DC, Tokyo, NYC, Zürich, and New Delhi obliterated in return, before the billion enraged jihad's show up, seems a bit costly.
hyzmarca
UN peacekeeping failed in the past because the UN is far too squeamish about things like unilateral nuclear strikes, systematic genocide, and extrajudical punishment for political dissenters. The UN of the Sixth World would have no problem with building Concentration Camps for hardliner Jews on Israeli soil.

And the billion Jihadists remark is kind of culturally insensitive. All true Muslims understand that Jihad is an internal struggle to overcome one's own evil impulses, including the desire for vengeance.
kzt
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
And the billion Jihadists remark is kind of culturally insensitive. All true Muslims understand that Jihad is an internal struggle to overcome one's own evil impulses, including the desire for vengeance.

rotfl.gif Very funny.

That's the Koran and the hadiths according to George Bush and CAIR, right?
Rotbart van Dainig
So he actually started to read books himself?
Ravor
Only if you count the "See Spot Run" series.

Still it is an improvement of sorts... cyber.gif
knasser
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 24 2007, 02:34 AM)

rotfl.gif Very funny.

That's the Koran and the hadiths according to George Bush and CAIR, right?

Jihad can be used and is used to mean an armed struggle, but it doesn't only mean that. It also means other types of struggle, such as trying to do good by putting your wealth to good purpose, speaking or writing good things and most importantly, the struggle within oneself to be a good person. Maybe consider the term to mean "dedication to good" in various ways. Also, you might get different answers if you ask a Sunni or a Shia.

It is a little culturally insensitive to use the term in the way that you did because you're distorting the meaning of an important religious term. It's not necessarily insulting to have done so, but when provided with the correct meaning of the term, you should understand how to use it (or not use it) in future.

-K.
Rotbart van Dainig
Don't mind those Christians confusing 'Jihad' for 'Crusade' - they just want some Muslims to conquer Jerusalem again, so they can take it back... it's so politicaly incorrect to do so as long as the Jews have it. nyahnyah.gif
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Shadows of Asia has a section on it while covering the Middle East.

The Old City has been subject to random magical and spirit activity ever since the Awakening, forcing periodic evactuations. In 2046 the UN stepped in and took control, setting up an Ecumenical Council made up of Jews, Muslims and Christians that opened the city to all religions claiming it as holy.

Architectural restrictions have been relaxed somewhat, allowing structures higher than the Temple Mount to be built so long as they maintain certain aesthic guidelines. Magical weirdness (mana warps, astral rifts, incursions of shedim, etc.) continues unabated over some of the most sacred sites like the Western Wall and the Holy Sepulchre.

The big syndicate in town is a Jewish branch of the Vory v Zakone called Maagen David Adom, and the big corporate players are the Frankfurt Bank Association, DeBeers-Omnitech, Ares Macrotechnology and Esprit. The Uzi IV is still the local favorite.

For Quabbalistic magical traditions, check out Street Magic.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to try to pick up Shadows of Asia then.

knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Don't mind those Christians confusing 'Jihad' for 'Crusade' - they just want some Muslims to conquer Jerusalem again, so they can take it back... it's so politicaly incorrect to do so as long as the Jews have it. nyahnyah.gif

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Funniest thing I've heard all week! Karma point to you, my friend! Thank you so much! grinbig.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
mfb
hahaha, man. why is the truth always very funny or very scary?
Rotbart van Dainig
Because otherwise, it would be unable to drive you insane, wouldn't it? wobble.gif
kzt
QUOTE (knasser)
It also means other types of struggle, such as trying to do good by putting your wealth to good purpose, speaking or writing good things and most importantly, the struggle within oneself to be a good person. Maybe consider the term to mean "dedication to good" in various ways.

Which is why that famed collection of Islamic charity groups calls themselves Islamic Jihad, right? Lets look them up and see what they are famous for.

Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Harakat al-Jihad al-Islami, curretly based in Damascus. A terrorists organization.
Egyptian Islamic Jihad, typically [I]al-Jihad[/], currently part of Al-Qaeda, a terrorists organization.
Islamic Jihad Organization is a front for the Iranian Revolutionary Guards terror operations.

How could that be? Islamic groups, based widely across the Arab world, who use the word Jihad as part of the name of their terrorist organization? And don't seem to be persecuted for this usage. Hmm, maybe there are not as many "true Moslem's" as you think? Or perhaps Arabic speaking Moslem's consider Jihad to be be primarily about killing infidels?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
And don't seem to be persecuted for this usage.

..you mean like the secular Muslims should declare Jihad on the fanatic ones for reasons of faith and stone them to death? Now let's talk about becoming what you oppose... grinbig.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 24 2007, 10:47 AM)
It also means other types of struggle, such as trying to do good by putting your wealth to good purpose, speaking or writing good things and most importantly, the struggle within oneself to be a good person. Maybe consider the term to mean "dedication to good" in various ways.

Which is why that famed collection of Islamic charity groups calls themselves Islamic Jihad, right? Lets look them up and see what they are famous for.

Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Harakat al-Jihad al-Islami, curretly based in Damascus. A terrorists organization.
Egyptian Islamic Jihad, typically [I]al-Jihad[/], currently part of Al-Qaeda, a terrorists organization.
Islamic Jihad Organization is a front for the Iranian Revolutionary Guards terror operations.

How could that be? Islamic groups, based widely across the Arab world, who use the word Jihad as part of the name of their terrorist organization? And don't seem to be persecuted for this usage. Hmm, maybe there are not as many "true Moslem's" as you think? Or perhaps Arabic speaking Moslem's consider Jihad to be be primarily about killing infidels?

@KZT if with all your "cherry picking" you could only find 3 examples.....

It is word, that many meanings to many beliefs/ideologies.

It does not mean that every time it is used, that user/organization is a "terrorist" person/organization.

It is kind of like the word Christian, it has many meanings/definitions to those that use it, like if the White Supremest say they are Christians, their point of view of Christianity is not the Total point of view of the rest of Christianity.

The Muslin Extremists like the Christian Extremists are a very small fraction of the World's Muslim/Christian believer population.

WMS
knasser
QUOTE (kzt)

Okay. You want to tell me what 'Jihad' means, do you? If you don't believe me then buy an Arabic-English dictionary and look it up. Better, try reading a little more widely. It means a utmost struggle. In fact, "to strive" would probably be a better translation. It's not an uncommon word and it has religious meaning so it's not surprising that you find it in the names of those three organisations. Do you want to know how silly you sound?

Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (Tamil Tigers)
Revolutionary People's Liberation Party
Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO)

Oh no! "Liberation" means terrorist. Not to mention the US "liberation" of Iraq. Yep - that's definitely what the word means. I'm being silly, you think? Actually, no - what you just did is pretty much the exact equivalent of this. Jihad is widely used in the muslim world to mean other than a holy war. You will find it everywhere in religious discussion. In fact, the way you mean it as "holy war" isn't really accurate anyway. It just means armed struggle, defending your community against persecution. Or at least normally. Some people interpret it as more aggressive. Shia (which I am not) call this a lesser Jihad. The greater jihad is the struggle with the self.

Please, check your facts before you spread this sort of misunderstanding to others. The last thing this world needs is more miscommunication. I'm sorry if I've come across as a little harsh here, but these things matter and you could cause some people a fair bit of offence if you use someone else's language without understanding what you're saying.
Method
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jun 23 2007, 10:59 PM)
Sure, but I personally don't consider it any more unlikely then Daniel Howling Coyote being able to carve up North America, even with the help of a half-Horror.

I guess in the dytopian world of SR it doesn't make sense to me that two cultures that have been at each other's throats for most of recorded history will suddenly decide to abandon extremism and play nice together. It doesn't make sense to me that while the rest of the planet is going to hell in a hand basket the Jews and the Muslims will suddenly decide to get along.

I think hyzmarca's take is much more plausible. Any other intervention by the UN would probably be considered western imperialism (a new Crusade) by most arabs, who already distrust the UN (who created Israel) and are already upset with western influence in the Middle East as it is (but lets not get into current politics...please ohplease.gif).
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (kzt)

ON Ds we're usually wary of discussion of religions or races simply because generalizations often crop up and can make things turn nasty. I for one usually enjoy discussions about politics, religion, etc, but this is the sort of thing we usually try to be mindful of avoiding.

This is a rather long winded way of saying please avoid insulting someone else's beliefs through generalizations.
Ravor
Sure, and I also agree with hyzmarca that making everyone get along at gunpoint is more plausable, my point was more along the lines that to me at least the Jews and Muslims gathering together to sing around a campfire is just as likely as what happened in North America or from what I've heard they done to Europe.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ravor)

..wait a second. Half-Horror?
Method
Thanks, fistandantilus3.0

I think its going to be difficult to discuss Jerusalem 2070 without treading on shaky ground... frown.gif
Ravor
Yeah, as long as I'm not misremembering something, its been said on these boards that a half-Horror was responcible for teaching Daniel Howling Coyote how to pull off the Great Ghost Dance so early in the Mana Cycle.

Supposely it appeared in one of the novels.
Rotbart van Dainig
..wasn't that Aina?
fistandantilus4.0
Worlds Without End It was Aina's son Thais, who also has a breif apperance in SoA, in Anghkor.
Rotbart van Dainig
Close enough - thanks for the info.
knasser
QUOTE (Method)
I guess in the dytopian world of SR it doesn't make sense to me that two cultures that have been at each other's throats for most of recorded history will suddenly decide to abandon extremism and play nice together.

I just felt compelled to point out that there have been long historical periods in which arabs and jews have got along very well. When arabs took over Jerusalem from the Christians, they immediately allowed Jews back into the city for the first time in centuries. And this lasted for about three-hundred years with jews and arabs living fairly peaceably side by side and the jews permitted to build synagogues by arabs that then had undisputed power. It wasn't until around the time of the Crusades that things all got a bit unstable. Jews have probably had more trouble with Christians for most of history than they have with muslim, Though as Fistandantilus has just emphasized, we should be wary of generalisations. The most insidious one around at the moment (insidious because it is deliberate) is the attempt to make "Israeli Government" synonymous with "Jewish People." It isn't and it's a distinction that many jews desparately try to preserve. Just as many arabs now find themselves having to emphasize that no, being arabic does not make one a member of Al Quaeda.
Adept_Damo
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 24 2007, 09:06 PM)

Okay. You want to tell me what 'Jihad' means, do you? If you don't believe me then buy an Arabic-English dictionary and look it up. Better, try reading a little more widely. It means a utmost struggle. In fact, "to strive" would probably be a better translation. It's not an uncommon word and it has religious meaning so it's not surprising that you find it in the names of those three organisations. Do you want to know how silly you sound?

Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (Tamil Tigers)
Revolutionary People's Liberation Party
Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO)

Oh no! "Liberation" means terrorist. Not to mention the US "liberation" of Iraq. Yep - that's definitely what the word means. I'm being silly, you think? Actually, no - what you just did is pretty much the exact equivalent of this. Jihad is widely used in the muslim world to mean other than a holy war. You will find it everywhere in religious discussion. In fact, the way you mean it as "holy war" isn't really accurate anyway. It just means armed struggle, defending your community against persecution. Or at least normally. Some people interpret it as more aggressive. Shia (which I am not) call this a lesser Jihad. The greater jihad is the struggle with the self.

Please, check your facts before you spread this sort of misunderstanding to others. The last thing this world needs is more miscommunication. I'm sorry if I've come across as a little harsh here, but these things matter and you could cause some people a fair bit of offence if you use someone else's language without understanding what you're saying.

Not to mess with you cause I disagree with you cause I don't. KZT is being xenophobic racist christofacist.
I do disagree with you about your example, because in the case of the US, and Britian for that matter in their dealing with Iraq are being terrorists, and war criminals to boot.
Rumsfeld is wanted for war crimes in Germany, and the rest of the Bush administration will be too as soon as they leave office.
That doesn't even include the US bombing of that once nice domed mosque that was so sacred in order to start off the sectarian violence in the first place.
Or the British agents that got arrested dressed as muslims driving around and shooting civilians in Basra. The Iraqi security forces insisted on pressing charges so the British drove tanks into the jail to spring them.
Good old OIL (Operation Iraqi Liberation)
The war was never about liberating the people of Iraq. It was the military backing up of American economic hegemony.
In 2000 Saddam traded the US dollars that Iraq had in reserve in the UN oil for food program for euros. He also started demanding payment for oil in euros. Both sensible economic decisions for Iraq, increasing profit by 10-20% due to the increasing value of euros and the decreasing value of the US dollar.
However, being one of a small group of countries that had the balls to switch their reserve currency from the US dollar to euros (Iraq, Iran, North Korea), the US decided to make an example of what it would do to countries that threatened the US dollar's place as reserve currency of the world. Can you say Axis of Evil.
Not to mention how much better US oil companies profit. If you shut down Iraqs oil output it lowers the supply, driving up prices, increasing the profit margin that the US companies make on the oil they produce. At the same time they also get a better deal for buying from Iraq when the oil is flowing. Good old puppet governments. You know the US puppet in Afghanistan is an ex UnoCal employee.
But yeah, the US strategy is the break up Iraq into three parts, and to keep permanent military bases there forever. It's part of the geostrategical goals of limiting China's oil options and surrounding China and Russia militarily.
Three cheers for merciless capitalistic imperialism.
Adept_Damo
Oh and as far as the future situation in Jerusalem, I'm pretty sure that Isreal would tame it's ways after the fall of it's patron the US as the unipolar superpower. Isreal may have the best equipped military in the region, but that didn't stop them from losing a war against Hezbollah in Lebanon. Also without the US's back I think they wouldn't consider using the nuclear option as you'd probably have countries like Pakistan retaliating in kind. Good old mutually assured destruction. So without US imperialist bent on global domination egging on Isreal to cause tension in the region, it would be most likely that Isreal would switch to policies that were actually reasonable. And then maybe Jews with a conscious could quite being ashamed of Isreals actions.
fistandantilus4.0
Oh boy, where to start. Personal attacks , keep them in your head. Secondly, you seem to have very strong opinions on the way a number of governments are doing their business. That's wonderful. However, this forum is for discussion concerning Shadowrun. Take the political rants elsewhere. Poli-light only please.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Adept_Damo)
So without US imperialist bent on global domination egging on Isreal to cause tension in the region, it would be most likely that Isreal would switch to policies that were actually reasonable.

That's what I remember from SoA.
Critias
If by "egging them on" you mean "backing them up, so the forces that surround them and are bent on their extermination don't spark a nuclear war by trying to wipe them off the face of the planet," then yeah. That's about how it works.
bibliophile20
I give this topic ten, maybe fifteen more posts before Fisty has to lock it--that is, unless we get back on topic.

So, I can assuming, considering how important Jerusalem is to three major religions, that the Old City is just one big conglomerate of domains that range from rating 3 in some of the less important/significant areas, while the Temple Mount is probably a rating 5 or maybe even 6 domain, and that all of the domains are aspected towards the traditions of the Abrahamic religions (i.e. aspected to Christian Theurgy, the Quabbalists, and the Islamic tradition)
Ancient History
Actually, trying to aspect the various sites to a given religion has apparently been an issue.
bibliophile20
How so? All three of the People of the Book are just that--of the Book. Couldn't the domains be aspected towards that just by the nature of the surroundings?
Ancient History
Well, given that all three of the religions have a similar source, but their individual magical traditions are sufficiently separate that they have to be aspected differently.
bibliophile20
Ah.

Well, that's just great.

So, am I right on the rating aspect at least? The entire Old City is just one giant conglomerate of domains?

And I thought that a domain could be aspected in a more vague sense as well--i.e. not just for shamans, but for any tradition that reveres the earth, not just for mages, but for any tradition that views magic as a law of nature that can be described in equations, etc.
Ancient History
Aye, 'tis possible for a domain to have a more fluid aspect. As for the Old City being one big stretch of domains? Dunno.
bibliophile20
Considering its tumultuous history (at least three full military invasions that I can think of off the top of my head, for starters), political importance, and religious significance... hell, I'd say the entire area enclosed by the old walls is at least a minimum of a rating three domain, and the Temple Mount is at least a 5.
G.NOME
Definitely. A 5 easy, with spikes around Eid, Rosh Hashanah (sp?) and Easter/Holy Week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012