Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You know im kinda pissed about all ammo..
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Abbandon
There are multiple threads about specific ammo but you know... im kinda pissed about all ammo overall. You would think that after almost 3/4 of a century they would be able to make ammo that is smaller and lighter than the ammo of today and not have guns like a Ruger Super warhawk that only has 6 shots!!

I mean pistols should have like 50 or 100 and anything capable of burst fire should have 250-500 rounds, and heavy machineguns like limitless ammo.

Besides that, laser weapons are kind of real now. I mean they are using them to shoot down missles and stuff. How much longer before laser weaponry enters shadowrun.
Samantha
Considering those technoligies exist today in prototypes the size of a dinner table and that they must be mounted on large vehicles, I dont think they'd be able to make them cheap enough for people to buy and then actually physically carry.
lunchbox311
SR3 had lasers in cannon companion. I am sure Arsenal will have them too.
Abbandon
They are mounting anti missle lasers to fighter jets to so they cant be that big. Besides what do the limitations of todays tech have to do with tech of the future?
Samantha
Fighter jets also have the ability to carry bombs that weigh several tons, I dont think saying "A fighter Jet can carry it, it must be light as a feather!" is a good argument.

Edit: Also, we can make lighter and smaller ammo. But it wont be as effective as what a Warhawk can throw.
mfb
SR is only seventy years in the future. it took hundreds of years and a lot of false starts to 'perfect' gunpowder weapons to the point where muscle-powered weaponry could be considered obsolete.

if bullets are going to get smaller, they're going to have to get a) a lot faster, and b) a lot better at spreading damage through flesh. a really small, really fast bullet is just going to poke a really small hole through your body unless it has some kind of really, really crazy expansion effect. bullets today can often poke a hole in you without any serious damage (ie, you are able to keep fighting and survive long enough to get medical attention). smaller bullets are going to have even less effect.

in order to do what you're talking about, you're basically going to need either an energy weapon (battery-powered, with as many shots as you feel comfortable handwaving) or handheld railguns firing frangible ammunition (eg, glass beads) at the speed of a slow meteor.
Samantha
Agreed. However, .22's are small enough that if they hit your head, they'll bounce around inside your braincase and turn it into yummy, yummy scrambled eggs.
Lagomorph
you can change the game however you see fit. If believe that guns should have lot more capacity, or even infinite bullets, go for it.

In a physics sense, Smaller and lighter bullets tends to not be as effective as larger heavier bullets for the purpose of incapacitating/killing people. If anything, they would probably be using larger more massive bullets in the future, with needing to stop larger metas and armor being as cheap to buy.

I'll second that Lasers will likely be added in arsenal.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Samantha)
However, .22's are small enough that if they hit your head, they'll bounce around inside your braincase and turn it into yummy, yummy scrambled eggs.

Not that myth. ohplease.gif

Shard guns, especially ice shard guns would be cool, though.
Samantha
It may be a myth, but we're involving TROLLS AND ORKS here. I think a few myths can slide.
mfb
it's not a myth, exactly--a small round can bounce off bone and ricochet around inside you to do a lot of damage. but the chance of it happening is really, really small.
Squinky
I met a guy once who was shot in the face point blank three times with a .22 and you could barely see any scars. He was fine. Don't know what that really adds to the conversation....
Abbandon
Im sticking with the fantasy version of shadowrun, the one with magic and crazy futuristic technology. Futuristic ammo should be smaller, lighter, and be created in such a way as they do even more damage than ammo of today.

Hell they dont even need to be a slug, gun powder, and a casing. What if just getting pricked by a ultra tiny bullet laced with some acidic compound or bio agent totally messed you up. Yeah suffering damage from something punching through your skin/organs is for newbs!!!!
Samantha
It certainly backs up the point that smaller ammo != futuristic.
Squinky
You should check out the supersquirt and neurostun....that stuff is crazy...
Jack Kain
mfb has a perfect point,

Smaller bullets have to go a lot faster to deal the same amount of damage.

Fact is bullets haven't gotten smaller in the past 200 years. Why should that change in 2070?
What usually determines if a bullet exits the body is if its hollow point or full metal jacket.

Full metal is better at body armor but tends to go in and out. So if you miss anything vital you won't the guy.
(full metal jacket is illegal in many areas for that vary reason

The second is hollow point which expands and fragments on impact. This is the standard type of ammo used by police. As they don't want there gunfire exiting the suspect and hitting someone else.

As for laser weapons, you'll notice the lasers are being used to shoot down missiles and not anything else. I believe the reason is a laser is not as effective at killing a person or an armored vehicle then a conventional weapon.

But as a laser travels at the speed of light its perfect for shooting down missiles. And really once you hit an armed explosive it shouldn't be to hard to set it off.
Abbandon
"I believe the reason is a laser is not as effective at killing a person or an armored vehicle then a conventional weapon."

Have you never watched star wars or the bazillion other movies with laser weaponry? OR PLAYED BATTLETECH!!!

"If you want freaking star wars weaponry why dont you go play star wars retard"

Because I like shadowrun. And I do play battletech hehe.
mfb
look, man, no offense, but like you said, if you want to play Star Wars or BattleTech, play those games (hell, i do, on occasion). in SR, firearm technology has not advanced significantly. that's simply how the game has been designed. not to say that big advances can't be imagined into the game world, and if you want to double or triple the ammo cap for all firearms in your game, go for it. but sticking with standard firearm technology for a non-distant-future game is a viable choice.
apollo124
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
SR3 had lasers in cannon companion. I am sure Arsenal will have them too.

Heck, let's dig way back in the file. There was a laser weapon in the SR1 Street Samurai's Catalog. The Ares MP Laser, I think it was called. It included a large backpack/battery and was only good for maybe a half dozen shots before needing an overnight charge.

Lasers in real life aren't as good at targeting people and armored vehicles because you have to maintain the beam on target for a significant time to allow the target to heat up and explode or melt. It also requires a lot of power to even do that. It's just much more economical to slap some bullets in a standard type gun and blast away. Not that this fact stops people from trying to build the new Death Star laser beam emitter.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Samantha)
Also, we can make lighter and smaller ammo. But it wont be as effective as what a Warhawk can throw.

...damn straight. Even with the FAQ adjustments, EXEX in a Warhawk is downright nasty: 7P -3AP. KK likes to use gel rounds (+2 to knockdown) when she goes out for an evening of "pin shooting"...

Pin Shooting

...basically, bowling with pistols.
Samantha
It's a lot cheaper, easier, and more effective to use bullets and a large gun than it is to use a halfassed battery-powered gun that needed a daily recharging after a few shots.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, those combat lasers send out a short pulse, then repower - and feature normal firing speeds.

Granted, the heavy laser still sucks, as you carry a huge backpack for power, and the light laser pistol sucks as it is barely more powerful than a handgun, even though the energy cells are clip-sized. But the medium laser rifle is actually pretty good, featuring an ok damage, equipement belt type power cells and a decent range.

The only reason to bring out those expensive guns is to hunt spirits, though...
Samantha
Can't you do that with other, cheaper weaponry?
Rotbart van Dainig
You can try and die.

Laser weapons reduce the spirits protection by half.
Particle_Beam
Where does it say that in SR 4th edition? question.gif
Cochise
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Samantha)
However, .22's are small enough that if they hit your head, they'll bounce around inside your braincase and turn it into yummy, yummy scrambled eggs.

Not that myth. ohplease.gif

Shard guns, especially ice shard guns would be cool, though.

Why would I prefer one myth over another?
Aaron

Why would they? The description on page 288 of your hymnal says that the protection extends to all non-magical weapons. Unless you've got laser faeries in your gun ...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 149, Impact Armor)
Impact armor protects against projectiles with lesser kinetic transfer: blunt projectile weapons, explosives, melee weapons, and stun ammunition. To a lesser extent, Impact also protects against falling, fire, laser weapons, electrical attacks, and Indirect Combat spells—apply half of the Impact armor rating (round up) to such damage, unless otherwise specifically noted.

As spirits have now hardened armor, even APDS helps.
In SR3, there was a half-value exception for elemental damage that fit lasers, too.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cochise @ Jun 24 2007, 10:38 PM)

Because one is SciFi, while the other isn't. Plain and simple.

On the other hand, getting it into a water jet cutter will make you lose it, so I'm not entirely certain about the 'myth' part.
Cochise
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 24 2007, 03:21 PM)

Why would they? The description on page 288 of your hymnal says that the protection extends to all non-magical weapons. Unless you've got laser faeries in your gun ...

Yet p. 155 references the following:

Certain types of flame or heat-based attacks infl ict Fire damage,
including (but not limited to): thermite, fl ares, Flamethrower
and Fireball spells, and the Energy Aura and Engulf critter powers.

and ...

Treat Fire damage as Physical damage, but Impact armor only
protects against it with half its value (round up).

and while Lasers might not qualify for "Fire" as damage type, Street Magic offers the following:

p. 162 ... Some of these elemental damage types
(Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire) are described on pp. 154–
155, SR4. A few others are described in the Elemental Effects
sidebar on p. 164 of this book.

And what do we have on p. 164?

Bingo:

Light
Spells with a light effect damage the
target with a searing flare. Light damage is
treated as Physical damage and is resisted
with half Impact armor (rounded up).
The
brightness of the Light effect will cause any
targets to suffer a Glare modifier for one
Combat Turn after the attack, unless they
are equipped with flare compensation. As a
secondary effect, Light damage may cause
some highly flammable materials (like gasoline)
to catch fire.

And that's why combat lasers still reduce spirit armor by half in SR4
Kyoto Kid
As spirits have now hardened armor, even APDS helps.

...so if Dr Z got APDS for his PJSS he might be able to tag a spirit then...?
Samantha
MOAR ACRONYMNS!

Seriously though, what are these wordses?
Cochise
QUOTE (Cochise @ Jun 24 2007, 10:38 PM)

Because one is SciFi, while the other isn't. Plain and simple.

Sorry, but ice bullet ain't more "Sci-Fi" than bullets doing some ricochet within the skull. They are simply a myth ... and one that has been "busted" smile.gif
Samantha
An ice bullet could work if you lived in 2070, and not in a mythbuster's episode.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cochise @ Jun 24 2007, 10:56 PM)
Sorry, but ice bullet ain't more "Sci-Fi" than bullets doing some ricochet within the skull. They are simply a myth ... and one that has been "busted" smile.gif

'Shard guns' in SciFi don't use single bullets. They use a constant stream of particles and thus classify as 'abrasive cutting', so to speak. Abrasive cutting can be done with pure water or by adding an abrasive, usually sand, ceramics or crops. While ice is not as hards as ceramics, it is certainly harder than liquid water.
Shards guns are usually linear accellerators, too, which benefit from being cooled down as that makes them reach superconductivity easier.

Long things short: While an ice bullet from a conventonal gun will melt before leaving the barrel due to the excess heat of the propellants combustion, this does not necessarily apply to a SciFi shard gun.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Samantha)
MOAR ACRONYMNS!

Seriously though, what are these wordses?

...APDS is Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot.
...PJSS is the brand of Elephant Rifle in the Gear list. I believe the initials relate in part to the RL the firm James Purdey & Sons of London, the originator of these large bore weapons.

Raygun any help here?
Samantha
Thanks, Kyoto, that clears up a lot. smile.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (Abbandon)
Besides that, laser weapons are kind of real now. I mean they are using them to shoot down missles and stuff. How much longer before laser weaponry enters shadowrun.

SR2 already had laser weapons...

But the real point is... SR is not science fiction.

The weapons are quite specifically chosen to be similiar to current technologies, because it fits best with the style of the genre.

Bye
Thanee
Cochise
'Shard guns' in SciFi don't use single bullets. They use a constant stream of particles and thus classify as 'abrasive cutting', so to speak.

That's why we do have the Ares Viper ...

Abrasive cutting can be done with pure water or by adding an abrasive, usually sand, ceramics or crops.

Oh yeah ... large quantities of water and lots of pressure to get it on its way ... And the range at which this abrasive cutting works is somewhat "restricted" ... due to the very same physical laws that demand smaller bullets to travel (insanely) faster in order to deal the same amount of damage

While ice is not as hards as ceramics, it is certainly harder than liquid water.

And still not more feasable as weapon when not dealing with something the size of water thrower.
Handgun sized? ... Forget about it.

'Shard guns' in SciFi don't use single bullets. They use a constant stream of particles and thus classify as 'abrasive cutting', so to speak.

And as long as these shards somewhat abide to the laws of physics, your ice shards won't work.

Long things short: While an ice bullet from a conventonal gun will melt before leaving the barrel due to the excess heat of the propellants combustion,

The excess heat of the combustion is not the (main) reason why the ice bullet doesn't work ...

Critias
Firearms technology in Shadowrun has advanced, significantly (default ammunition is still caseless in SR4, isn't it? I think?). Just not to that ridiculous level. There are quite a few heavy pistols that have pretty absurdly high ammunition capacities, given their damage code and concealability.

The reason the Super Warhawk, in particular, is still listed as a "6" is that it's a revolver. Six shots are something of a tradition amongst wheelgun enthusiasts, and it's also a convenient size (for the "wheel" part, the cylinder), etc. Someone could make a twelve-shot .44 or something, today, but the cylinder would need to be bigger, the gun would be unwieldy, and that sort of thing. It's got less to do with the size of the bullets than with the simple physical demands imposed by the unique design of a cylindrically loading weapon.

It's not like you jam a magazine into a revolver, and can fit twice as many rounds into that magazine in 2070 as you can today (or even as if you can add an extended magazine, like the 30+ round GLOCK ones available today) -- it's a revolver, they come built in with a certain capacity, period.
Samantha
Revolvers are much more stylish and say something about a person.

What it says is that you don't want to mess with them.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Critias)
It's not like you jam a magazine into a revolver, and can fit twice as many rounds into that magazine in 2070 as you can today (or even as if you can add an extended magazine, like the 30+ round GLOCK ones available today) -- it's a revolver, they come built in with a certain capacity, period.

...which is why KK uses 2 and fires them in alternating fashion ala Doc Holladay. She usually manages to take down her targets before needing to reload, though she does have speed loaders ready.

QUOTE (Samantha)

...in one encounter, KK only had to draw her Warhawks to make the wannabe gangers she was facing drop their little holdout pop guns and run. I believe one even wet himself (considering where she was aiming).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cochise)
And as long as these shards somewhat abide to the laws of physics, your ice shards won't work.

As long as the AVS has the full range of a heavy pistol, we don't need to discuss whether those shards abide to the laws of physics. wink.gif

QUOTE (Cochise)
The excess heat of the combustion is not the (main) reason why the ice bullet doesn't work ...

As much as I like MythBusters, I'm not entertained about them being scientific in any way.
But even this episode stated that excess heat is the main problem concerning melting, friction coming second as soon as a liquid film develops.
Darkest Angel
First off, aircraft borne laser weapons aren't yet in service, although there are plans for them to be in service by 2015 (and we all know what military equipment depoloyment timetables are like). Even then, their rate of fire completely sucks for ground warfare - 2 shots in 10 seconds followed by a minimum 30 second cool down; no use to a soldier on the ground.

Now even assuming they've cleared that up by 2070, there's the small issue of where the reflection goes, a powerful enough laser to kill a person from a kilometer away has the potential to also blind everyone else within a hundred meters or more. That's bad PR, and costs a lot of money in special goggles to protect all your employees.

There's the issue of smoke and dirt, lasers suck in such conditions, and that's reflected in the rules, they loose power in smokey conditions; and no doubt if you got dirt on the lens that would certainly not help matters either. There's a lot of smoke and dirt on battlefields.

That ties in with the final; maintainance issue. The AK47 has been used, and continues to be used in massive numbers after 60 years because it's simple design makes it useable and maintainable by anyone. Those things can be left to go rusty and still shoot straight enough to be dangerous. Frontline soldiers need weapons that are easy to maintain and aren't going to srew up after being dropped in a pool of mud, lasers don't strike me as 'that weapon'.

But, if you want to hand out MP III lasers to all and sundrie, that's fine, it's your game.
Cochise
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 24 2007, 11:32 PM)
As long as the AVS has the full range of a heavy pistol, we don't need to discuss whether those shards  abide to the laws of physics. wink.gif

At least there you have the lleeway of hard enough matter being propelled to high enough speeds wink.gif

As much as I like MythBusters, I'm not entertained about them being scientific in any way.

At least they try hard enough ... sometimes. biggrin.gif

But even this episode stated that heat is the main problem concerning melting, friction coming second as soon as a liquid film develops.

Right next to shattering the ice and thus melting it even faster ...
Ice is simply too brittle and in order to compensate for the lower mass in comparison to "normal" bullets you'd need even higher velocities. More combustion => more heat. More raw power when propelling => more shattering forces onto the brittle material ...

There is a reason why they usually ad something like sand to abraisive cutters ...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cochise)
At least there you have the lleeway of hard enough matter being propelled to high enough speeds

Actually, there is no explanation at all about 'how'.

QUOTE (Cochise)
There is a reason why they usually ad something like sand to abraisive cutters

Yes, it's 'process time' - while the reason for removing them is 'surface quality'. wink.gif
Samantha
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)
First off, aircraft borne laser weapons aren't yet in service, although there are plans for them to be in service by 2015 (and we all know what military equipment depoloyment timetables are like). Even then, their rate of fire completely sucks for ground warfare - 2 shots in 10 seconds followed by a minimum 30 second cool down; no use to a soldier on the ground.

Unless you live in the Futurama universe and are given dinky laser guns you have to hand crank nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Samantha)

Both of those are completely subjective statements, wholly based on opinion rather than any sort of fact. The only thing a revolver should say about the person carrying it is that they're worried about an automatic jamming. It can say they're too poor for a good semi auto, it can say they believe the traditional wheelguns are more stylish than semi autos, it can say they like larger rounds than most semi autos will bear, it can just say they're old fashioned (VERY old fashioned, in 2070+), or it can say "I only have six shots before I need to reload, which I do slower than you anyways, so I am a comparatively easy target."

But it doesn't definitively say "you don't want to mess with me," or anything like that. Nor are wheelguns innately more attractive or stylish than semi automatics (in as much as anything that based on opinion and perspective can be quantified). Thank you for sharing your opinion, though.
Samantha
Thank you very much for inserting logic and intelligence into a statement that was designed to raise a smile.

You are a God among men.
Critias
You're welcome, and I know. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012