Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pimp My House Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gothic Rose
I'm going to be starting an SR4 game relatively soon (First time Runner GM) and I was curious what the forums would think of the houserules I've compiled. The game will be a fairly powerful magically centric game. Any comments/critique is welcome. Quite a lot of these come from Serbitar's wonderful house rule compilation.

CHARACTER CREATION RULES
• 500 BP Characters.  Normal spending rules apply for attributes.  (Can spend up to half points on attributes)
• You get (Charisma Attribute x 3) free points to spend on contacts.  Contacts spent with these points cannot exceed ratings of 3/3.  Additional contacts may be purchased at normal cost.
• You may spend up to 50 BP on Resources (250,000 ny) at normal cost (1BP:5,000 ny).  If you wish more, you may purchase additional resources at DOUBLE COST (2BP:5,000 ny) up to a maximum of 70 BP (300,000 ny)
• Standard Availability Rules apply
• Standard Qualities/Drawbacks Rules apply (subject to GM discretion)
• May use Updated Metavariants (see attached documents, GM discretion applies)

GENERAL RULES
• Attribute Cost: New Rating x 5 Karma.  This only applies to physical and mental attributes, NOT Edge, Resonance, or Magic.
• Attribute Cost for advancement is calculated without racial modifiers of metatypes
• Specializations cost 3 Karma
• The attribute cap “1.5 x natural maximum� affects permanent augmentations only, NOT situational modifiers (such as bone lacing or combat sense, or ) or attribute augmentations that are only very temporary (drugs, attribute boost).
• You can never roll more than “2 x natural maximum� dice as the attribute component of a test
• You can never roll more than “2 x skill maximum� dice as the skill component of a test
• When doing a skill critical test you can only achieve a maximum of “skill +1� hits.
• In a critical extended test, you can only roll your dice “skill� times

THE MATRIX RULES
• Matrix test always use “Logic + Relevant Skill� with the corresponding program or complex form restricting the number of hits
• Technomancers using threading on an existing complex form may choose whether they want to increase the complex forms rating, or add dice to the “Logic + Relevant Skill� test connected to the complex form, or a combination, with net hits.
• Encrypted protocols (real-time applications) take an extended test of Logic + Electronic Warfare (difficulty: encryption rating x4, time: encryption rating combat turns) to hack
Encrypted files:
• Encrypted files take an extended test of Logic + Electronic Warfare (difficulty: encryption rating
x 4, time: encryption rating hours) to hack
• AR actions take only place in IP 1. Other passes can not be used for AR actions.

MAGIC RULES
• Stun spells get the same drain as physical combat spells
• A new Tradition, the Primals, is available for use. 
• A new mentor spirit, Savage Hunter, is available for use.
• Drain for summoning a spirit is �Force/2 + Spirit hits“
• Drain for binding a spirit is �Force/2 + Spirit hits“
• Every rating of the adept power improved physical attribute, regardless of the unimproved attribute rating, costs 0.5 power points.  This power does not modify the karma cost for improving the attribute.

CYBERWARE RULES
• All Cyberlimbs come with Body, Strength, and Agility attributes of 3 plus racial
modifier.  The restriction for enhancements higher than 3 does not apply.
• Cyberlimbs have the following Capacity (obvious/synthetic): Full Arm: 20/10,
Full Leg: 25/15, Hand/Foot: 6/3, Lower Arm: 12/6, Lower Leg: 15/10.
• Cyberlimb Enhancement use up Capacity as follows: Armor: (Rating),
Body/Strength/Agility: (Rating/2) (round up).
• Cyberlimb Armor is added together from all cyberlimbs and then
divided by 4 (round down); it stacks with worn armor.
• Each Cyberlimb adds (Essence Cost, rounded normally) extra damage box to a character’s Physical Damage Track.  This means that full cyberarms, cyberlegs, and cyberskulls add 1 box each, cybertorsos add 2. 
• If a character has a cybertorso, reduce the essence cost of each cyberarm or cyberleg by .25
• Cyberskulls have an Availability rating of 12
• For each obvious cyberlimb a character possesses (excluding partial limbs and skull), subtract 1 die from all swimming rolls.
• Essence Regeneration: A character who loses essence from cyberware, burnout addictions, or any other source of essence loss may slowly regain his or her lost essence.  Doing so is a long process – additionally, the character must forgo any and all addictive substances (including alcohol).  Essence recovery rate is 0.05 Essence regained per month. 
• The adrenaline pump (regardless of rating) works for 10 x 1D6 turns, after which the user takes unresisted stun damage equal to the duration divided by 10.  Note that the adrenaline pump, being a limited duration bonus, allows one to exceed natural maximums.

GEAR RULES
• SINchecks come in levels 1-6 and vary only in the amount of access rights and time needed.  SINchecks are often made in advance at airports and other high-risk areas.
SIN checkers
Level Time
1  30 seconds
2 1 minute
3 5 minutes
4  30 minutes
5  2 hours
6  10 hours

COMBAT RULES
• If physical is reduced to stun damage due to high armour, stun damage boxes are divided by 2 after the damage resistance test (round up)
• Strength 6, 9 and 12 give 1, 2 and 3 points of recoil compensation respectively
• Ammunition in the Sixth world is kind of wonky – ExEx is better at piercing armor than APDS, and Flechette/Gel are better than regular ammo at penetrating armor.  Therefore, replace the stats of the following ammo with these:
Ammo        Damage
Gel    +1DV S / +Impact
Flechette +2DV / +Impact
Explosive +1DV / +1AP
ExExplosive +2DV / +1AP
APDS  - / -5AP
StickNShock 4S(e) / -Half Impact
• A player may choose to call a shot trading two dice of an attack test for every additional point of damage value, up to a maximum of +4DV
deek
That looks lot a solid and fun set of rules that seem like a pretty standard game...something I currently run.

The only things I would want to understand a bit more, is how normal game play changes based on the first and last combat rule you listed (stun damage/armor and called shots). Other than that, it seems like the standard fare of house rules I normally run with.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Jun 25 2007, 05:13 PM)
• Each Cyberlimb adds (Essence Cost, rounded normally) extra damage box to a character’s Physical Damage Track.  This means that full cyberarms, cyberlegs, and cyberskulls add 1 box each, cybertorsos add 2. 
• If a character has a cybertorso, reduce the essence cost of each cyberarm or cyberleg by .25

So does that mean that an alpha, beta or delta cyberlimb gives less health boxes than a standard ware would?

How do these two rules interact? if I install 2 cyber limbs, 2 cyber legs, and a cyber torso, do I get +6 health boxes or only +5 from the -.25 ess discount?

Edit:
Overall they're pretty good
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Jun 25 2007, 05:13 PM)

So does that mean that an alpha, beta or delta cyberlimb gives less health boxes than a standard ware would?

How do these two rules interact? if I install 2 cyber limbs, 2 cyber legs, and a cyber torso, do I get +6 health boxes or only +5 from the -.25 ess discount?

Edit:
Overall they're pretty good

No, it's meant to be based off of the standard 'ware costs. Any reduction via grade doesn't apply. It's really just a fancy way of saying that skulls and full limbs give 1 each, and torsos give 2.

Same thing with the essence reduction via synergy. That's there to make a full body job more of a feasible option for player characters, since as it stands, it's really harsh. You end up with +6 boxes if you have 2 arms, 2 legs, and a torso, or 7 if you have a cyberskull in there, too.
WearzManySkins
You use BP's in the begining but later on you refer to karma for stats etc.

Is BP to karma 1 for 1?

WMS
Buster
I like the cyberarm str = 3 +/- racial modifiers modification.

I love the Primal tradition and I shamelessly resurrected the thread with a plea for a sticky thread listing all home grown traditions like this.

Question: Is a sincheck a background check using the targets SIN? And the rule is that the more careful the check, the longer it takes?
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
You use BP's in the begining but later on you refer to karma for stats etc.

Is BP to karma 1 for 1?

WMS

No, BPs to build, karma for later. I don't think that the price for attributes is accurate to how GOOD they are. So I set them at the same price as a skill group, karma-wise, since skill groups get rolled more than a single skill, as do attributes. And specializations are -so- very nice that I felt a sliiight increase was needed as a balance factor.

I like the cyberarm str = 3 +/- racial modifiers modification.

I love the Primal tradition and I shamelessly resurrected the thread with a plea for a sticky thread listing all home grown traditions like this.

Question:  Is a sincheck a background check using the targets SIN?  And the rule is that the more careful the check, the longer it takes?

Thanks. That's exactly what a SINcheck is, and it uses a SINchecker.
FriendoftheDork
Overall good, (and I use many of Serbitar's rules as well), but some I have a problem with.

What is a critical extended test? How does it work when defaulting? The test automatically fail?

Matrix: Ok not bad although if you lack programs it becomes impossible to do anything in the matrix (I let people default browse for example (Internet Explorer wink.gif )

Also, it may work for highly skilled charactres with good programs, but otherwise. Also how can this work in extended tests? Logic+Hacking (max exploit hits) when trying to hack a system doesen't work, as many of these test will have thresholds higher than 6 (while programs cap out at 6).
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Overall good, (and I use many of Serbitar's rules as well), but some I have a problem with.

What is a critical extended test? How does it work when defaulting? The test automatically fail?

Matrix: Ok not bad although if you lack programs it becomes impossible to do anything in the matrix (I let people default browse for example (Internet Explorer wink.gif )

Also, it may work for highly skilled charactres with good programs, but otherwise. Also how can this work in extended tests? Logic+Hacking (max exploit hits) when trying to hack a system doesen't work, as many of these test will have thresholds higher than 6 (while programs cap out at 6).

Critical Extended: The test is skill critical, meaning you cannot default. The test is an extended one, and with the rule on extended tests, that means you only get to try Skill times.

I'm not going to make anyone roll for simple browsing. I'm more interested in when the drek hits the fan. Simple stuff I don't sweat and will let anyone not computer illiterate do - browsing, for example.

For the extended hacking, the hacker rolls logic+hacking, maxing out his hits at the program's rating for each interval - i.e., each time he rolls his logic+hacking, he can get a number of hits equal to the program. That means that for high end encryption, no matter your skill, you HAVE to have good programs, otherwise, you just can't decrypt it.
Eleazar
I do not get the SIN Check. Are they getting an automatic success once that time is up? So if I have a Rating 4 SIN(most starting characters do), then after that 30mins is up I am found out.

If that is the case that means I would be good most places unless they feel like taking 30mins to check my SIN. If they only take 29:59 minutes or lower then I am good. Is this correct?

How do you usually run this SIN check? Even at high security checkpoints and borders they aren't going to do these in advance. That is just too unrealistic. That and you don't always know in advance you will be entering one of these areas, it makes it impractical. I completely understand the airport part. That is definitely something that could be done in advance. I guess it would help if I knew what falls under the "other high-risk areas".

Lastly, lets say I goto the airport and have my SIN checked. How long do they usually spend checking a SIN? I don't see them taking 30mins per customer to do this stuff unless they have some AI they can have do this. Not everything in a SIN will be as easy as just checking databases though or be tasks an AI could necessarily do. How exactly are you having all of this stuff work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012