Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bloodlust and "On The Run"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Whipstitch
Yeah. I really meant for the blackmail thing to be an alternate interpretation, one that could easily explain why someone would open fire over something. That doesn't, however, mean that we aren't giving the Physad entirely too much credit if we use that as an explanation for his actions.

Anyway, I must take issue with something: the idea that the promise of merciful treatment by your enemies in any way offsets the risk of leaving witnesses and enemies alive. Rules of engagement and the Geneva convention and all that stuff is great... if you're a country at war. Surrenders and decent treatment of enemy combatants is viable in wars because both sides are known quantities and their reputations do indeed precede them. However, in Shadowrun, we're talking about criminals who have a vested interest in being somewhat anonymous, at least to their enemies, anyway. Joe Security guard isn't likely to recognize the shadowrunner before him as someone who has a rep in the underworld for being "merciful", they're likely just going to see some guy pointing a gun at them, and I doubt he's going to wait around to see those rounds flying at him are stick and shock before he defends himself in the most effective way available. Having a reputation as being stupidly bloodthirsty should indeed limit your future employment options, even in the shadows, but generally, I think your relationship with most people will sour a bit the second you start pointing a gun at them, regardless of your reputation. As for what happens when your runner is taken alive, well... I'd rather try and avoid such things by greasing witnesses and covering my tracks no matter what the cost than hope the Yaks will somehow feel kind just because I ruined their operation with stick and shock instead of Ex-Ex.
ShadowDragon8685
A rep for being merciful won't help you when the shooting starts.

It will help you when they come calling 'round your own shack.
Talia Invierno
Oh, and thanks, Cellshade, for letting us know how it worked out.
Demon_Bob
Honestly, If the TM was going to blackmail someone, he would have probably just e-mailed the a copy of the incriminating evidence to the person.

If he was planning to threaten a guy known to be good for killing with a gun why do it in his presence without hacking the guys stuff first. If I was going to threaten a Gun Bunny with a TM I would hack his equipment, threaten to post his photo and the video on the Police's most wanted, send a copy of it to the gang in question, and before even talking to him set up the whole thing to be sent off on a timer somewhere the Gun Bunny has no idea to look.

Now a professional killer would/should think of these things and realize that although the TM was going about it in completely the wrong way shooting him is not the answer.

Besides if the TM can get the video who else might have it? Wouldn't you need a good TM/Hacker to erase the incriminating evidence wherever it might be stored.
Gargs454
My understanding of the Hand of God rule is that it doesn't necessarily mean that everything is just hunky dorey afterwards. Rather, it could well mean that although you survive the fall from the top of the building, you are hospital bound for the next 6 months. etc.

Now certainly, it would be within the GM's discretion to say that miraculously, the bullet passes completely through your body but misses all vital organs and arteries. It just comes down to the GM's personal preference and take on the situation. If I was the GM and I thought that I had made a run too difficult for the players by overestimating their abilities or underestimating those of the NPC's, I would be more inclined to use the latter description. If the PC was just plain stupid though and charged the 100 armed orcs, he could expect a lengthy hospital stay and the player should plan to bring a different character to the next several sessions.

That will likely get your players to think a situation through a lot better.

Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
Now a professional killer would/should think of these things and realize that although the TM was going about it in completely the wrong way shooting him is not the answer.

Of course.
Torturing him to get all the intel needed to tie up the other loose ends first, then shoot him.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Jun 29 2007, 07:11 AM)

Of course.
Torturing him to get all the intel needed to tie up the other loose ends first, then shoot him.

Better! biggrin.gif
Ravor
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Why? After all if they are coming after you then you've already done something to piss them off enough that they want you, and only a fool would corner a wild dog without first having and being completely willing to use deadly force. Whether the wild dog has a rep as being kinder and gentler then the rest of his pack or not.

Because if you've pissed someone off enough to warrent having your door busted down in the middle of the night by gun totting thugs then your rep sure as hell isn't going to save your life if they don't already have some reason to keep you alive.
kzt
QUOTE (Ravor)
Because if you've pissed someone off enough to warrent having your door busted down in the middle of the night by gun totting thugs then your rep sure as hell isn't going to save your life if they don't already have some reason to keep you alive.

They've chosen kick your door down in the middle of the night instead of having a sniper team shoot you in the head as you walk to your car in the morning. Not starting the situation with your brains sprayed all over the neighborhood has some serious advantages.
ShadowDragon8685
It can also present survival opportunities.

"Okay, Mr. Nice Guy. You've fucked our corp, but you haven't killed any valuable employees. So here's the deal; we've just put a cranial bomb in your head. You work for us now, or the bomb goes off. It's that simple."
Ravor
QUOTE (kzt)
They've chosen kick your door down in the middle of the night instead of having a sniper team shoot you in the head as you walk to your car in the morning. Not starting the situation with your brains sprayed all over the neighborhood has some serious advantages.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

"Okay, Mr. Nice Guy. You've fucked our corp, but you haven't killed any valuable employees. So here's the deal; we've just put a cranial bomb in your head. You work for us now, or the bomb goes off. It's that simple."

Bah, you two play the corps as being too nice, if you've pissed them off enough to warrent spending the time and resources neeeded to hunt you down then you've already pissed them off enough that if they have choosen to keep you alive it wasn't because you were "nice" it was because you are currently worth more to them alive then dead.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that "kill them all" is really a viable tactic either, but you can not bank on your rep as playing nice as even being a factor when it comes time to pull your sorry hoop out of the fire.

Remember that these are the same corps that had no problem with blowing up an entire crowded apartment complex just to off one Decker in Third Edition's fluff story.
Da9iel
I think the point is not that the cops will keep a guy alive because they're feeling warm hearted and nice, but that they will not hunt him down and kill him out of revenge for Smitty and his widow/orphans.

Cops tend to be brutal to cop killers.
Ravor
QUOTE (Da9iel)
I think the point is not that the cops will keep a guy alive because they're feeling warm hearted and nice, but that they will not hunt him down and kill him out of revenge for Smitty and his widow/orphans.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree because I don't think that is the angle that ShadowDragon8685 and kzt are coming from, in both of their examples the runner has already done something to convince the corp to spend time and resources neccessary to hunt him down and they seem to be saying that the runner's rep for playing nice will help him out somehow.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

QUOTE (kzt)

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

As for a corp spending time and resources to hunt down a runner who killed Smitty well would you really want to be in the shoes of whoever authorized spending corp resources on a mere revenge killing when the Big Bosses started asking questions?

Remember that the Big Bosses really don't give a frag about Smitty the wageslave, hell unless he bought life insurence from them then his death means that his widow and orphans now has to pay the corp in order to get out of the employment contract Smitty signed as well as pay for whatever cyberware and other equipment and training the corp gave him.

It just isn't profitable to hunt down runners out of a sense of revenge. Sure, it's possible that Smitty might have been having an affair with his boss and now Mark is going to make damn sure that the dirty runners who geeked his sextoy are going to pay, but aside from very possibly signing Mark's death warrent if his bosses find out those situations should be rare.

QUOTE (Da9iel)
Cops tend to be brutal to cop killers.

Sure, and given the fact that most runners and SINless and therefor have no human rights at all it's going to be bad for any runner that gets captured. Remember that even if you have a valid SIN while on corp property it's perfectly legal for the sec guards to hook your privates up to car batteries or shove toilet plungers up your ass.

However that has no bearing on whether or not a corp will authorize the funds needed to track down a runner out of revenge.
Rotbart van Dainig
You are missing the point - which is the Human Element.
That's a variable that will be there as long as there are humans, and thus, you have to take it into account.

And even if you only consider a wageslave corp property, there's a financial difference between destruction of property and damaged property.
Da9iel
Ravor: You're right. I missed it by reading too fast, but Rotbart is right. There will always be a human element. If I was working for a corp, I would more likely deal with a professional and more likely just dispatch with a cold-blooded killer even if my dealings required cold-blooded killing. I would assume the professional can execute when needed. I would doubt the wageslave killer's ability to refrain from excess loss of life. Sometimes you need people who don't put a bullet in the back of the head of everyone they can.
kzt
QUOTE (Ravor)
It just isn't profitable to hunt down runners out of a sense of revenge. Sure, it's possible that Smitty might have been having an affair with his boss and now Mark is going to make damn sure that the dirty runners who geeked his sextoy are going to pay, but aside from very possibly signing Mark's death warrent if his bosses find out those situations should be rare.

Team moral is very important to keeping people working well. Vengeance is one of those team building and moral boosting elements. Dead staff results in vengeance, staff made to look foolish results in toy guns and toy cars appearing on people's desks. KE, for example, is a very large organization. The West Coast Operations manager has a huge budget and can move people around as necessary.

As long as the budget target is made, the typical level of customer satisfaction is maintained and general no major moral issues get reported people can be assigned to whatever priority the ops manager has. So if 10 or 50 people get assigned for a week to chase them down of the 4500 operators on staff it's not going to really be big impact.

It's typically more important to make people decide to go hit another target than one protected by the corp than is is to minimize costs. Ensuring that a site doesn't get successfully hit is what a security company gets paid for, so protecting their rep and street cred is important.
odinson
Another thought is that some of he big sec companies are also trying to get lonestars police contracts, so if the sec company can apprehend a dangerous criminal before LS finds them then that make them look even better.
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor)

Dystopian is one thing, but you still need to preserve believability. A corporation that executes managers for authorising their security to go after the person who killed some of their security guards and his wife, is beyond understanding. Murder is not one of the outcomes of your end of year budget review.

As to the endless use of Edge to save a PCs life ad infintem, I have an elegant solution (which incidentally solves other problems too). Humans start with 2 edge, metahumans with 1. Edge cannot be bought with karma. It goes up after set stages of karma earning: 10, 20, 40, 80, etc. Humans can get to seven points, metahumans six. If you burn it to survive, it's gone. Easy to keep track of, provides a power development for grading characters and forces new players / characters to use sense instead of luck. Works very well for me.

-K.
Aku
so you only get 7 pts, as a human, of edge, for your entire running career? its luck, not the hand of god itself intervening on your behalf, imo, which is essentially what you're turning it into if you cant reaccquire it.

and thats what it sounds like to me you're saying
Da9iel
So...cats have an edge of 8?

A common house rule is that HOG reduces your maximum by 1. Low edge folks still replace the burned edge more cheaply, but they'll run out of 2nd chances just as fast (assuming they buy it back up before they need it again). It still makes player death a long hard road for the GM, but hey, it's fun killing PCs over and over again. vegm.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
Humans start with 2 edge, metahumans with 1. Edge cannot be bought with karma. It goes up after set stages of karma earning: 10, 20, 40, 80, etc. Humans can get to seven points, metahumans six.

Sorry, but that's the worst houserule I read in a long time, since it destroys one of the major benefits of SR4:
Leveling the field between starting and experienced characters. It's a step back to the old level-up chore.
Da9iel
Especially since it would take 320 Karma to actually use the "Lucky" attribute. That's assuming you didn't ever use HOG.
Ravor
You are missing the point - which is the Human Element.
That's a variable that will be there as long as there are humans, and thus, you have to take it into account.

And even if you only consider a wageslave corp property, there's a financial difference between destruction of property and damaged property. 

No I agree that the "Human Element" should be taken into account, where I disagree is that in the feudal enclaves of the corp world the average noble (management) is going to get teary-eyed and hunt down the scum who killed one of his peasents (wageslave) unless something was going on behind the scenes to make the situation personal as opposed to SOP.

Besides, generally speaking what does the corp gain from hunting down the runners? They sure as hell can't replace the dead wageslave and killing them won't increase the corp's bottom line. It's usually merely throwing good money after bad even if the corp is able to catch the runners responcible.

QUOTE (Da9iel)
Ravor: You're right. I missed it by reading too fast, but Rotbart is right. There will always be a human element. If I was working for a corp, I would more likely deal with a professional and more likely just dispatch with a cold-blooded killer even if my dealings required cold-blooded killing. I would assume the professional can execute when needed. I would doubt the wageslave killer's ability to refrain from excess loss of life. Sometimes you need people who don't put a bullet in the back of the head of everyone they can.

Sure, every Johnson would love to be able to call upon a team of professional scum that would do his bidding like good little minions without the sass, power-games, and freakiness of your average Shadowrunner team.

On the other hand, if there wasn't something wrong with them, the Shadowrunners would ahve been snatched up by your corp talent scouts along time ago so when dealing with freelance scum you've got to use what you've got.

QUOTE (kzt)
Team moral is very important to keeping people working well. Vengeance is one of those team building and moral boosting elements. Dead staff results in vengeance, staff made to look foolish results in toy guns and toy cars appearing on people's desks. KE, for example, is a very large organization. The West Coast Operations manager has a huge budget and can move people around as necessary.

Moral issues? Up the dosage of "Happy Juice" in the water cooler and increase the surcharge deducted from the employee's paycheck. Remember that we are talking about wageslaves here, the vast majority simply can't make the choice to leave their jobs because they owe their employer too much money and have a contract legally binding them to go to work. Hell, for many of them their widow has two choices, sell one or two of her children to organleggers or if she's pretty join the "secetary pool" as an exec's plaything.

QUOTE (kzt)
As long as the budget target is made, the typical level of customer satisfaction is maintained and general no major moral issues get reported people can be assigned to whatever priority the ops manager has. So if 10 or 50 people get assigned for a week to chase them down of the 4500 operators on staff it's not going to really be big impact.

Sure, and for the responce to a single incident it might not seem like a big deal, until you think about the fact that you are dealing with multiple incidents ranging from runners to gangs to terrorists, ect every week if not every single day.

And if you don't want to manage moral with "Happy Juice" then how do you deal with the moral issues that are going to get raised when you send a team to chase the runners who killed Smitty but can't afford to send one after the runners who killed Jones? And what are you going to do to deal with dropping moral and the rep hit if your team fails?

QUOTE (kzt)
It's typically more important to make people decide to go hit another target than one protected by the corp than is is to minimize costs. Ensuring that a site doesn't get successfully hit is what a security company gets paid for, so protecting their rep and street cred is important.

So tell me, does Big A and SK ever get targeted by runners? After all they usually come off as having the baddest rep about tracking runners down and making them pay. Or do runners simply charge more before agreeing? cyber.gif

Seriously though, you hit it on the head when you said that sec corps get paid for making sure that there aren't any sucessful runs against them, tracking down and killing runners who killed one of their guards doesn't change the fact that they've already took a massive rep hit by not stopping the run in the first place and killing Joe Runner won't make up for it even IF they are able to geek Joe in the first place.

QUOTE (knasser)
Dystopian is one thing, but you still need to preserve believability. A corporation that executes managers for authorising their security to go after the person who killed some of their security guards and his wife, is beyond understanding. Murder is not one of the outcomes of your end of year budget review.

If I viewed corp society through a lens of the way things work in 2007 sure I'd agree. The problem is that the corps basically run like a proto-feudal society crossed with a bad 80s movie and sprinkled with a leftist spin of "regan-onmics" for spice.

Remember that we are talking about the very same corps who have no problem with blowing up an entire apartment complex just to target one Decker. In the Sixth World bullets are cheap and life is cheaper.

QUOTE (odinson)
Another thought is that some of he big sec companies are also trying to get lonestars police contracts, so if the sec company can apprehend a dangerous criminal before LS finds them then that make them look even better.

Yeah and it works even better if the corp had created the problem in the first place just to be able to clean it up, much easier and cheaper then spending money on the off chance that you'll be able to catch the same runners who hit the facility you failed to protect last night. cyber.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 1 2007, 08:45 PM)
Sure, and for the responce to a single incident it might not seem like a big deal, until you think about the fact that you are dealing with multiple incidents ranging from runners to gangs to terrorists, ect every week if not every single day. 

See, once again we return to believability. If you want to play the setting like that, then that's your perogative, but you are here on the forums saying that this is how things are, and I don't think the setting supports it. It's simply not believable that corporations are being targetted by armed attackers every day. And not each corp being targetted every day which is what your argument would require.

If you want to say that each of the megacorps is targetted every day, then maybe you can stretch it that far, but the megacorps are in fact the top of a pyramid of many lesser corps, each with their own security arrangements. There may be ten AAA corps, but there are probably a thousand or more AA corps and certainly tens to hundreds of thousands of A corps. Shadowruns have to be a rare event for any given corp. And your likening of 2070 corps to feudal europe does not support your argument. If a peasant in a baron's fief died, he might not cry, but if a rival baron sent raiders to come and kill his peasants, then I'd expect the militia to be raised.

Your vision of a company filled with brainwashed, drug-filled employees and managers that regard those employees as cattle just does not work for me. It is not believable because I cannot reconcile it with human nature. Dystopian does not have to mean a cartoonish level of Tim Curry like evil. And you can sig me on that!
Ravor
QUOTE (knasser)
See, once again we return to believability. If you want to play the setting like that, then that's your perogative, but you are here on the forums saying that this is how things are, and I don't think the setting supports it. It's simply not believable that corporations are being targetted by armed attackers every day. And not each corp being targetted every day which is what your argument would require.

Well actually all my agruement requires is that a corp that is big enough to have a "West Coast Operations manager" with at least "4500 operators" (I figure that by "operators" kzt is talking about actual guards, ect and not the janitors, secataries, ect..) under his supervision will either come under attack directly or indirectly that often.

As for whether or not the setting supports the level of violence I've stated, well remember that you have large armed gangs running through downtown Seattle, you have various corps suppling their "pet" gangs with weapons to further their own little power games, you have radical poli-groups of all stripes who are willing to resort to violence to make their point, you have enough mil-spec weaponary floating around that runners can get their dirty little hands on them fairly easily, you have sections of entire cities walled off to simply contain the criminals within, and perhaps most importantly you have to have enough coruption to allow all of the above to be true.

Oh and to top it all off, you have a gem of a society where 'to the death bloodsports' are one of the best pay-per-view sellers. And despite the fact that Big A routinely cuts out human hearts as a religious ceramony they are still one of the most loved if not the most loved Mega Corp in the world by John Q Public.

QUOTE (knasser)
Shadowruns have to be a rare event for any given corp. And your likening of 2070 corps to feudal europe does not support your argument. If a peasant in a baron's fief died, he might not cry, but if a rival baron sent raiders to come and kill his peasants, then I'd expect the militia to be raised.

Well firstly I said "proto-feudal society crossed with a bad 80s movie and sprinkled with a leftist spin of "regan-onmics" for spice" because of course just saying "feudal europe" isn't going to be a perfect fit, however you can fairly safely bet that if Corp A figures out that Corp B is the one who hired the hit in the first place, there is going to be more work for the Shadows in the very near future.

QUOTE (knasser)
Your vision of a company filled with brainwashed, drug-filled employees and managers that regard those employees as cattle just does not work for me. It is not believable because I cannot reconcile it with human nature. Dystopian does not have to mean a cartoonish level of Tim Curry like evil. And you can sig me on that!

Tell me, did it require "a cartoonish level of Tim Curry like evil" to run dangerous factories manned by children? Is it really so unbelievable that without checks and balances the powerful will take advantage of the weak using such tactics as share-cropping and company stores (We know that the corps liek to pay their wageslaves with Corp Script that is only good in their stores.)? Given that as a society we are more then willing to take various mood altering drugs in order to be "normal" is it really that much of a strech to imagine that an enity that doesn't have legal restraints wouldn't add some to the water cooler when we know they are willing to implant bombs into people? For that matter if people could just quit their jobs whenever they wanted to why would there even be a need for a "willing extraction"?

As for your purposed sig, sure I agree that Dystopain doesn't have to mean cartoonish or silly, but then again a quick look through history shows me that human nature isn't nearly as bright and cheery as you seem to imply, most of what I've suggested the corps do are things that have been or are already been/being done to the weak by the powerful without checks and balances.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ravor)
No I agree that the "Human Element" should be taken into account, where I disagree is that in the feudal enclaves of the corp world the average noble (management) is going to get teary-eyed and hunt down the scum who killed one of his peasents (wageslave) unless something was going on behind the scenes to make the situation personal as opposed to SOP.

That's exactly the problem with the HE: "Just business." is a lie.

Social structures tend to be quite complex and if somebody dies, things get personal quickly.
Favors are being called in, someone spins it to be necessary for business. And suddenly, some dead guard turns out to have had a brother in administration who knows some guys from school that are now part of a special operations team that are dragging you out of your bed in the morning. Officially because you accidentally stole some sensitive data, too - and as it isn't released yet, damage control still works. Of course, since you claim not knowing anything about said data, this includes making you remember.

And that's a fairly obvious chain one could find out in advance if buying enough intel. But then again, there are relationships not a obvious, and performing such elaborate background checks on random wageslaves just to kill them... that doesn't pay off.
So you tread softly and try not to break too much... which is cheaper anyway.
Ravor
Sure, it's always a risk that the Joe Blow you just wacked was the favorite nephew of a blood mage, ect...

As for your example of "unoffically offical" revenge, personally I really like it and don't have a single problem with it, but I guess I'm not quite sure how it disagrees with my stance that a dead wageslave(s) isn't enough to convince a corp to spend the time and resources to hunt a runner down. In this case it took framing the runner for data theft and I'd imagine that the corpers involved would be in a world of hurt if the truth ever did come out.

I think people are misunderstanding me, I'm not calling for the "kill everyone and let God sort them out" approach to Shadowrunning, but I don't buy that a corp really gives a frag about some dead wageslave or that said wageslave's death will affect whether or not the corp leaves you alive if you manage to do something that does warrent hunting you down.

However as you've proven with your excellant example Rotbart van Dainig Shadowrunners aren't the only ones who can maniplulate the system to get what they want. cyber.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ravor)
but I don't buy that a corp really gives a frag about some dead wageslave or that said wageslave's death will affect whether or not the corp leaves you alive if you manage to do something that does warrent hunting you down.

It can take up to half a year to have someone new incorporated into an existing team, getting into a project and running at full efficency. And even then, he isn't able to replace the experience, just the skills.

Losing a wageslave can hurt a corp more than you can imagine. Even if that slows the project he was on just for a few weeks - a deadline missed by a few weeks can result in millions of losses. So the corp does care... and doesn't want that to happen again. So the corp is out to set an example - with you. Or not.

Want to take that chance?
Critias
I don't know why, but this is something that's really bugging me -- repeating (and over-emphasizing) "wageslave" over and over and over again doesn't make it any more accurate or unbiased a descriptor. "Wageslave" isn't, like, a corporate title. It's not on anyone's business card, or paycheck stub, or resume. It's a derogatory term that Shadowrunners (and others who may or may not be jealous they can't hold down a real job) use, that's it.

It's not necessarily a genuine descriptor. It may be, or may not be, but just saying "slave slave slave, they're called slaves!" over and over again doesn't really accomplish anything, or back up a point. It's an insult, a slang term, a nickname at best. Saying "wageslave" repeatedly doesn't necessarily make it true, any more than someone repeatedly calling me white people crackers really means you're likely to see me on a little dish with finely sliced cheese any time soon.

The simple fact is corporate employees do do some important work, or the corporations wouldn't be paying them in the first place. This isn't to say they aren't wholly replaceable. This isn't to say the corporation cares about them as people instead of numbers and productivity ratings. This isn't to say that killing a few of them will send Ares grinding to a halt. But if they didn't do anything important to the company, well, the company wouldn't have them on the payroll.

Which means, yes, you can inconvenience even a megacorporation by killing the right person at the right time (whether you mean to be killing that person, or know it's the right time or not, is another matter entirely and not the megacorporation's problem).

You might think Joe Cubicle Schmuck #4 that you wasted during a routine datasteal was just some loser working the late shift, and you might be right... but Joe Cubicle Schmuck #4 needed to be working on something, and the 9mm you put through his skull didn't help him get that work finished on time, did it? Which means someone, somewhere, is going to be upset Joe Cubicle Schmuck #4 didn't get some project finished...and depending on that project, and that "someone, somewhere," you might have just pissed off someone with enough clout to do something about it.

It won't happen every time, nor should it. But that's what GMs are for, isn't it? Creatively fucking over the player characters, within the context of believability laid down by the game setting, and in such a manner that the game is an enjoyable experience despite aforementioned fucking over?
Ravor
Rotbart van Dainig that's the chance that every runner takes every time they agree to pull a job and has nothing to do with whether they geek some random wageslave or not.

"Will this be the time that the corp will decide to throw good money after bad in order to make an example?", is a question which every runner should ask himself before accepting Ms Johnson's rather reasonable sounding offer.

<><><><><>

Well Critias the reason I use the term wageslave is because I think that the term is more then a mere derogatory statement although you're perfectly right, it doesn't appear on anyone's business card. However the corps don't have to play by the same rules with their employees that today's companies do because the check and balances provided by a strong government is virtually gone, it's the pre-union era on steriods and that is a fact that is too often forgotten in my opinion.
ShadowDragon8685
Ravor, the last three words of your last post sum it up perfectly.

Now stop trying to cram YOUR opinion down everyone else's throat! Corps may not care about the person you geeked, but guess what? The co-workers he worked with? His boss? The people under him?

Unless he was an absoloute fragger, they're going to care on a personal level, and unless he was about to be fired for ridiculously gross negligence anyway, they're going to care on a professional level. Depending on who he was and what he did, there are likely to be at least a few people gunning for the guys who put a 10mm APDS in the back of his head. And these people may or may not even have to justify themselves.

When you get high up enough on the company's food chain, you can pretty much spend 20K, 40K, to have the guys who killed your poker-buddy hunted down and shot. You don't even have to justify it; hell, you have an expense account! That's what it's for!

"Dystopian" does not mean "machine-like". Unless it's The Matrix...
kzt
QUOTE (Ravor)
As for whether or not the setting supports the level of violence I've stated, well remember that you have large armed gangs running through downtown Seattle,

Actually, the gang sizes given are TINY. A LARGE gang is tens of thousands. Given that Seattle has always been kind of an underachiever in terms of street gangs maybe this isn't that that unreasonable, but don't claim that these 100 man mini-gangs are large gangs
hyzmarca
Wageslave is an accurate descriptor. That's the entire point of voluntary extractions. The Business Recognition Accords are essentially international Fugitive Slave Laws that require escaped wageslaves to be extradited back to their employers. Yes, they are very much slaves.

But if I go to an auction and pay $850 for Kunta Kinte then I'm going to treat him well because he is an expensive piece of equipment. Yeah, I'm going to beat him until he tells me that his name is Toby, that's necessary. But, if some random guy killed my Kunta Kinte, then I'd certainly hunt him down. I wouldn't kill him, that's just stupid. I'd require that the killer either pay me $1000 (his original cost plus compensation for the time and effort required to break and train him) or provide me with a trained slave of similar ability, subject to my approval.

In SR terms, that would be putting cranial bombs into the runners and forcing them to work for you.
Demon_Bob
notworthy.gif scatter.gif notworthy.gif
kzt
The other thing that needs to kept in mind that excessively pissing off the people with guns who you are trusting to keep you alive is a bad idea. Not only might they suffer a nasty weapon malfunction at the wrong time, having people in charge of your security motivated to sell you out is just not a good plan.
Wasabi
QUOTE (sunnyside)
The trick is to make sure people are having fun with it OOC.

QFT.
Ravor
ShadowDragon8685 get testy much? cyber.gif

Seriously, if it's merely my unfounded opinion and the Sixth World is supposed to be some semi-bright and relatively-fluffy cyberpunk world then it should be easy to go through the fluff and show me where I've gotten it wrong, point by point.

Oh and thank God that the Matrix movies has almost as much in common with Shadowrun as "The Shield" has with "The Power Rangers".

kzt hmm, I stand corrected on the issue of the gang sizes, it's been awhile since I cracked open New Seattle and for some reason I remember them as being bigger then that. Oh well, I don't think it changes the larger issue.

hyzmarca not much that I can really add other then to second Demon_Bob. cyber.gif (I may not totally agree with you but I can't agrue with the post's pure STYLE.) cool.gif

kzt
QUOTE (Ravor)

kzt hmm, I stand corrected on the issue of the gang sizes, it's been awhile since I cracked open New Seattle and for some reason I remember them as being bigger then that. Oh well, I don't think it changes the larger issue.

They act like they are huge. I suspect this is because the original writers, as in so many other things (Southern California anyone?), had not the foggiest clue about what they were writing.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ravor)
Rotbart van Dainig that's the chance that every runner takes every time they agree to pull a job and has nothing to do with whether they geek some random wageslave or not.

Nope. That's the point of collateral damage - it's not part of the job.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
ShadowDragon8685 get testy much? cyber.gif

Seriously, if it's merely my unfounded opinion and the Sixth World is supposed to be some semi-bright and relatively-fluffy cyberpunk world then it should be easy to go through the fluff and show me where I've gotten it wrong, point by point.

Oh and thank God that the Matrix movies has almost as much in common with Shadowrun as "The Shield" has with "The Power Rangers".

hyzmarca not much that I can really add other then to second Demon_Bob. cyber.gif (I may not totally agree with you but I can't agrue with the post's pure STYLE.) cool.gif

There are bound to be as many opnions as there are posters on Dumpshock. But there is a constant - the rules. Is there a Joe Wageslave archetype? Barring that, which canon NPC is the closest to that? Can Joe Wageslave convinced Dick Manager that retribution/retaliation is the best course of action, does he have the stats to do that? Does whoever got dead have the Loyalty/Connection/"pull" to influence whoever makes the decisions? The rules are already there. The rules determine however the fluff is going to turn out. Go back to the fundamentals: you could fix your fluff(which may or may not be accurate) and house rule so that your vision comes true or you could follow the rules and see how gritty the game world is.
Rotbart van Dainig
But there are no rules for what connections Joe Average has.
toturi
That's why I asked which NPC can be deemed to the closest to Joe Average. Is the Bartender closest or is it the Blogger? Or who else? Whatever you decide, it is a damn shade better than fluff.
hyzmarca
Or, you treat every character as a person, none of them generic. Instead of throwing out Average Joe archetypes for fodder you stat them out individually, create their backstories and their contact list.

This is absurdly time consuming, but it can be done posthumously. You can even invent NPC backstory on the fly during a game if it comes to that.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
This is absurdly time consuming, but it can be done posthumously. You can even invent NPC backstory on the fly during a game if it comes to that.

I've had to do both of those in this campaign alone, and we're only on our fourth session. My players are simply too unpredictable.
deek
I've just read though this thread...so back to the original discussion...I have to say, that was a good call on the GMs side to make the physad an NPC. I just did the same a couple session ago with one of my players. He ended up getting sloppy, not on runs per se, but starting hitting drugs and alcohol, causing problems with the rest of the characters.

We ended up losing a player (the mage), so this guy rolled up a new character and I NPCd his former. That lasted one session until the other party members decided the final straw was now, and shot him down.

The session before, there was a little OOC conflict between two players, but it was really due to IC events and roleplaying. I let it go, because I do believe allowing the players to have free reign is fine. And in that instance, it was between to PCs, so I really could just sit back and make sure the rules were enforced.

I talked to the two guys (both friends) about it afterwards, and got everyone back on the level. These two have a history of doing stuff like this a couple times a year (it a regular RPG group, multiple games and campaigns)...

I do think the physad was a out-of-line shooting the TM in the face...I mean, based on his background, it sounds like he would just coldly disagree with the TM and say it had to be done, that the TM was a giant pansy and needs to learn the way to handle things. I mean, I think its fine to have teammembers disagree, but once you start damaging other PCs, then it is going a bit too far, especially when the intent is to kill...
toturi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Or, you treat every character as a person, none of them generic. Instead of throwing out Average Joe archetypes for fodder you stat them out individually, create their backstories and their contact list.

If you want to create each NPC as a Prime Runner or a Contact, that's ok. But the vast majority of NPCs should be Grunts or Critters.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
That's why I asked which NPC can be deemed to the closest to Joe Average. Is the Bartender closest or is it the Blogger? Or who else? Whatever you decide, it is a damn shade better than fluff.

But those NPC don't have connections - they are connections.
The connection rating abstracts influence... you still have to make their connections up.
toturi
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 2 2007, 02:51 PM)

But those NPC don't have connections - they are connections.
The connection rating abstracts influence... you still have to make their connections up.

Would you prefer a Grunt instead? Those guys have even less skill... or a critter?

I'd use the Networking rules to find the right person and the Favor rules to do whatever needs to be done.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi)
Would you prefer a Grunt instead? Those guys have even less skill... or a critter?

Why not use a stone? ohplease.gif

QUOTE (toturi)
I'd use the Networking rules to find the right person and the Favor rules to do whatever needs to be done.

That doesn't change the fact that at certain points, you have to make things up, as the rules don't tell you what to do - the most prominent example would be the connection rating of the one used for networking.
Ravor
I don't know, although I strongly disagree with toturi's stance that the rules should trump the presented fluff and generally speaking don't like the sample NPCs in the book either, I do think his idea has some merit.

And we know that generally speaking your average wageslave has a ( Connection Rating 2 ).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012