Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Form Power: Endowment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wasabi
Does the Great Form power "Endowment" from a Great Form Task/Guardian spirit allow a projecting mage to use the Materialization power and interact with the physical world while Projecting? Immunity to Normal Weapons really is darned good.
Jaid
hmmm.... technically, this appears to work.

they did block off the possibility of doing this via power pact, however, so i would tend to think the intention was a definite no.

of course, even if you can't, you can always have a guidance spirit great form force targets into the astral and pwn them in astral combat while they're unable to defend (can't default on astral combat, after all)... so this isn't really all that much worse...
Wasabi
For B&E work it effectively allows a gear-free teleport in SR4.
No tools, but hey... you can flip deadbolts, open windows, flip circuit breakers, search a desk, etc.
odinson
How would foci work. They go astral with you and hen when you materialize somewhere else would they now be it two places? You could always make a bunch of B+E equipment into foci for the purpose of bringing them across.
Ravor
Or they manifest with the projecting mage but can't really be used because they are basically the same as a spirit manifesting with a cardboard tube as opposed to a sword, in either form the spirit does the same damage.

Still I'll be banning this ability in my games, if a character wants to be able to "teleport" then he needs to find a way to learn Earthdawn's Astral Walk power (Or whatever its name was.) as an advanced Metamagic. cyber.gif
FrankTrollman
We're talking an initiate with a powerful conjuring specialty. He could just have an Ally spirit do this for him...

-Frank
Jack Kain
With Great Form Power, comes with great form responsibility
Kyoto Kid
...sheesh! More uber magic abilities

...as if Mundanes don't already have a tough enough time. Now "geeking the mage" requires something on the order of a 55 gal drum size FAE or bovine intervention.
Jack Kain
If the mage materializes that just means his astral form can be shot to death. Sure he'd have immunity to normal weapons but. And well Foci go with you when you go astral. I'm fairly sure the physical body of the foci is back with your own.

FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...sheesh! More uber magic abilities

Not exactly. When I wrote Endowment it was actually a nerf on what Greatform spirits could do. In older editions every Greatform spirit could just do that. You didn't need to hit a minimum threshold on an Invoking test, you didn't need a specific kind of spirit, you just did it.

So an old school Shaman Initiate could just walk out his front door and call up a Force 2 Greatform City Spirit and walk around all day with any spirit power(s) you wanted.

---

And yes, I did figure out ways to "break" endowment by combining it with Inhabitation Flesh Forms to get spirits with various critter powers that they could then hand around. But honestly, it's such an edge case that it was determined to be a negligible threat unworthy of extra wordcount to close.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
Huh? Endowment as in the concept of simply granting Powers to people is brand-new.

And I don't even want to think what happens when a Great Form Guardian Spirit endows the Power of Astral Form to somebody... though granting the Power of Sapience to your dog might be fun.
Kyoto Kid
...I just have this natural tendency to wince every time someone becomes excited over something that can make a mage even more powerful than they already are in relation to the mundane world.

...getting that itchy trigger finger for the Bovine drop button.
hyzmarca
The real fun thing about Endowment is that mundanes can benefit from it, too. What's really fun is having your .01 essence Samurai form a Formula Pact with a Great Form Free Spirit and then convince it to use Hidden Life on him and Endow him with Magical Guard. Then, he spends his huge Samurai Karma Reserves on buying up his counterspelling skill.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
granting the Power of Sapience to your dog might be fun.

OH... MY... GOSH... you just made my day! I am soooo going to incorporate this into some druidical shamanistic thingie! smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And I don't even want to think what happens when a Great Form Guardian Spirit endows the Power of Astral Form to somebody...

..ok, I did think about it.

Looks like people finally start to catch up with some tricks of the old elf clown.
DireRadiant
Oh yeah, my dikoted ally spirit has given me a great endowment baby!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012