Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Computer RPG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Makeshift Surgeon
I thought the first Vampire CRPG, Redemption by Nihilistic Software, was crap. Vampire is a game of politics and they turned it into an action title. But I'm not going into that right now.
The thought of a Shadowrun video game seems impossible at the moment because of numerous reasons, though I think there are two main reasons why it hasn't happened yet: it would take a long time to produce a game that was able to include everything present within the SR universe and most Game Designers would be unwilling or unable to take on such a project because of the game's complexity. Most good game designers are afraid to stray from the first rule of game design which is KISS meaning Keep it Simple, Stupid. And those who aren't afraid of breaking said rule have probably already been fired because they took too many things too far and ended up slaughting some game title. It's sad to see the games industry in such a possition where most designers are unwilling or unable to take the steps to create a game that is revolutionary rather than just evolutionary.
At least until recently. Troika's staff has done some excellent work in the past on such titles as Fallout, Arcanum, and more recently, the Temple of Elemental Evil (so long as one doesn't mind the consistant game crashes). While their games aren't perfect from a more technical standpoint, they've shown the ability to create beautiful and unique worlds filled with interesting characters.
One of their current projects is a Vampire: the Masquerade title called, "Bloodlines," which promises to hold true to the original Vampire game unlike Redemption where one could run in front of a bunch of cops, carrying a minigun without worry of being attacked...Or so says PC Gamer, though a gaming website called Game Banshee is making different claims.
Regardless, the latest Vampire title promises all the usual weapons one can find in any other First Person Shooter, but also has the addition of Vampiric powers or Disciplines.
Now, Vampire may be an entirely different game from Shadowrun, but I'm certain that the game and engine wouldn't need that much modding to make a good Shadowrun Total Conversion. I've been toying the possibility on leading such a project, though seeing as how I have no experience modding video games...
Eh, we'll see.
Harlequin565
For those that may be interested, there is a work in progress to create a d20 modern setting on the Neverwinter Nights engine. A little imagination and creative thinking could probably set up a Shadowrun world using that..

Find It Here

I know it would be using the d20 system, but for me Shadowrun is all about the story and Roleplaying rather than the rules.

-H
Pistons
QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 12 2003, 04:48 PM)
And as far as I'm aware, no one currently holds the license to Cyberpunk, so you could probably make a video game based off of that without anyone complaining.

Actually, R. Talsorian still owns the rights. They most certainly would complain. See the last question here.
The Jake
http://www.petitiononline.com/shdrun03/petition.html

Just shut up and sign the petition everyone.

- J.
Kagetenshi
Ooh, shiny, we can put our names on something that is intended for two groups, one of which no longer exists and the other of which could care less and probably receives thousands of petitions a year, if not a month.

~J the cynic
Adam
"FASA Game Studio" still exists; it's a division of Microsoft. "FASA Corporation" -- the former book publisher -- also still exists, but only on paper, really. They still own some properties [Earthdawn, which they bought back from WizKids for some reason..., for example]
Kagetenshi
Ah, thanks smile.gif

~J
The Jake
I have a friend who works at MS and he says that they do listen to petitions for things like this.

- J.
Diesel
I think I'm going to end my posts like you guys too.

> J
Kagetenshi
Sounds good. We can infect Dumpshock.

~J
Fortune
Do you think that's wise?

J!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012