Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Computer RPG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Greaser13
A lengthy thread on Ataris' ToEE forums prompted me to come here and ask the question we've been discussing: Will there ever be another Shadowrun Video Game? Being a PC RPG fan and a retired Shadowrun player, it would be awesome if a talented company was to get rights to do a new one. The mixture of Fantasy/SciFi/Real world setting and depth of the game world is ripe for it. Any thoughts?

The Atari thread is here fo rany interested:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showt...30&pagenumber=1
Synner
Microsoft holds the rights which basically rules out the "talented company" and much as I'd like to see an SR game, I'd like to see it done well or not at all.
The_Purge
I am one of many people that would like to seee Shadowrun made into a PC game that would give it the justice which it deserves. I personally know of about 20 gamers that would buy the game in a heartbeat. I am sure that each one of them knows people and so on. I have been talking for years about this issue to random EB employees and pitching others about making up the basics. I would be willing to help out any way i could. Lets get this done, it would be a sweet game and might make us a few quids. love.gif
moosegod
I don't know. First of all, no one on that board knew what they were talking about. Secondly, how can you maintain the Shadowrun universe in a computer?
nezumi
You'd get stuck on copyright infringement. M$ holds the rights to the game, and if you just made an SR game for profit, they could sue you (they probably wouldn't though, since you wouldn't have much money to get and they're might keen on working on their public image).

There are SR MU*s however. And as far as I'm aware, no one currently holds the license to Cyberpunk, so you could probably make a video game based off of that without anyone complaining.
Large Mike

One of two ways. These can both be exemplefied by other games.

Morrowind, and FFXI. These both seem like very valid options to me.
Greaser13
Microsoft could, if it wanted, farm out those rights to someone like BlackIsle and make a perfectly suitable game. It's differences from PnP would be many, but anyone whos played Baldurs gate, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout or the like could very quickly envision Shadowruns translation to the tactical RPG style. And of course, theres no way to make it without MS approval. I guess what I was looking for is to see if anyone had heard of any rumblings on the possibility of it becoming reality.
nezumi
No, I haven't heard any rumblings and it appears as though all the prodding anxious gamers has done has not led to anything. HOWEVER, M$ did do a good job with Mechwarrior and has made some other excellent games. They focused a lot more on games last year and the year before and with Wizkids making their SR heroclix collection, we can only hope that'll bring up some interest in SR again. Keep your fingers crossed : ) (I do note however that there is a woeful lack of cyberpunk games in general. Fallout is the only one made in the last ten years that I think is really worth mentioning. This is discounting FPS's.)
moosegod
I wouldn't call Fallout cyberpunk.
Zolhex
If someone does Shadowrun it needs to be online as well sorta like Everquest. Why do I say that simple I hate being led around by the nose in an rpg while I loved the FF titles you had very little choice to do what you wanted. If this gets done online then they could keep it fresh and quite possibly in real time I.E. you play for an hour and an hour goes by in the game world. Now of course there is a down side to this idea they will more than likely charge you to play on top of buying the game. While that is an idea that I hate I must say that being a major fan of Shadowrun I would more than likely shell out the Nuyen for it where as I don't and won't for Everquest.
Kagetenshi
I've had ideas for how to do something like this; am contemplating something on the order of a massive Quake III mod, but probably lack the ability to pull it off. Regardless, it would be a massive undertaking for a potentially very limited audience, so it probably won't happen.

~J
nezumi
It's funny how we already have people going down three totally different directions on where they'd like their dream SR game to go... Maybe someone should make a post about it.

If M$ decides to make an SR game, I'd assume it would be a tactical/rpg game, more the style of fallout than anything. It doesn't seem to have a big enough audience to justify MMORPG (which has ongoing costs) and an FPS would simply butcher it.
Greaser13
I agree, and I think that the tactical aspects of the gameplay would be best served in the top down format.
Tanka
The huge problem with going FPS would be supporting different ammo, melee, and all kinds of other stuff. I could kind of see how UT went with the sword, but that's way too cheap for my tastes. RPG would be the way to go, able to pick class at the beginning, then buy upgrades and such.
Kagetenshi
I disagree. You could potentially do it with FPS given enough planning, enough work, enough non-FPS sections, and enough time spent before the game started in chargen. Hell, Deus Ex worked, and they didn't implement a huge range of possible things.
On the other hand, my idea doesn't work in the least for a commercial game, and won't for several years, as it is dependent on being a multiplayer coop game.

~J

Edit: I may make a post about this if it ever gets going, but our idea is an iterative design process. At first we'd only make Shadowrun-style weapons in a Quake III world, then change the damage to SR-style, then start making different race effects, etc. etc. etc.
Things like rigging, decking, and magic would take a lot longer, but would be workable. Melee would actually work very nicely; it could be made perfectly like the Shadowrun style, with the exception that we'd probably just make the attack unresisted if the target was wielding a firearm. More reason to put away your gun when that troll brings his battleaxe into your face.
Tanka
I just feel FPS couldn't do it much justice. The only room for growth is on your side of the server. Your skill only. The character doesn't increase in skill/talent as you play him/her more.

Now, if you could somehow do a randomization that gives you better odds as you play them longer... That'd be just sweet.
Kagetenshi
Oh, we'd be implementing the full skillset eventually. This wouldn't be intended as a massive multiplayer thing, just for groups of people working together. A lot of it would have to be very honor-systemish, so it's probably a throwback to the days of LAN-only gaming, but it'd still be cool.

~J
Tanka
Honor system? Yikes! Good luck.

Although, it does sound interesting. If you get it done and (once I get a better PC) I'm willing to beta-test if you need me to.
Zolhex
Ok I have to say I don't know what FPS is but I will assume it has to do with online gaming. So question:

If the game were made how much would you pay for it?

If you had to pay to play online (yuck) how much would you be willing to put out to play say per month?

This is of course dependant on the quality of the game, the game world, and the options for you as a gamer to use.
Tanka
FPS = First Person Shooter
RTS = Real Time Strategy
I'll assume you know what RPG/MMORPG is.

As for paying for it if it came out in stores... Depending on the quality, anywhere from $5 (horrible) to $40 (great). I would not, however, pay for online. I have enough troubles worrying about where my next paycheck is going than worrying if I can play this month or not.
easytohate
I think an open ended chargen system like fallout, or even arcanum. (Both had the same development team).

But I think ultimately I would like to see something for Shadowrun like Neverwinter Nights. Combine a single playergame with private hostable RPG's. Let people run their own rooms, own mods as needed. Sure they would have to strip the game a little (simplify the rules) but I think it would be fun to play and ultimately do the game justice by allowing people to ST their own games, without the static perpetualness of MMORPG.

I think the hardest thing to do by far would be V. riggers, drone riggers would be easy... but scaling the game to accommodate vehicles is something that as far as i know hasn't been managed properly in an RPG. I can't imagine anything else that would be incredibly difficult.

Overall, it's still up to M$ to shell out the money to develop the game. I don't see why they wouldn't however, games are put out all the time with a whole lot less to go on. I think it would just be a matter of someone in the position to greenlight the project realizing the potential.

Tanka
Riggers would be hard to work on, but not impossible. I think Deckers/Security Riggers would be just as difficult. Not many games have had much to do with the computerish aspects, like Decking/Security Rigging would be.
Wish
I would prefer to see a game done along the lines of the Temple of Elemental Evil game. Turn based is good.
moosegod
tanka- you could use sculpted systems to make decking like anything else, just with different pools, etc.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (nezumi)
No, I haven't heard any rumblings and it appears as though all the prodding anxious gamers has done has not led to anything. HOWEVER, M$ did do a good job with Mechwarrior and has made some other excellent games. They focused a lot more on games last year and the year before and with Wizkids making their SR heroclix collection, we can only hope that'll bring up some interest in SR again. Keep your fingers crossed : ) (I do note however that there is a woeful lack of cyberpunk games in general. Fallout is the only one made in the last ten years that I think is really worth mentioning. This is discounting FPS's.)

For reminding me that I have a copy of Fallout2 sitting under a pile of stuff on my desk begging to be installed on my system... I will worship you until I'm done typing this...
danbot37
Ever playVampire:The Masquerade on computer? I know, I know, its WOD and all, but it was actually a good translation of dice-to-comp rpg. Ok single player campaign, but the good part was the multiplayer... would have four pc's and a gm, and the gm could create/populate the game as he needed, beforehand and on the fly, control all npc's (even inanimate objects as necessary) and the conversations or automate them, pause the game as necessary to deal with surprise situations, and control the xp awarded to the chars. Would work great, if heavily modified of course, I think anyway
nezumi
I had only heard bad reviews of Vampire, honestly. I've never really gotten into it to begin with (the only group here which does it is LARP), so I didn't feel especially compelled to pick it up.
Kagetenshi
The reason it'd be honor system is because it'd never be intended for someone to just set up a server and have random people wander in. This'd be meant for a group of friends to all get together and play.
That and anything else would be insane, logistically.
If we ever do it we'll put the code out there, because the idea is cool. Really, though, this would be something written for us, not to have open servers playing ShadowrunQIII all over the internet.

~J
Tanka
This is very true, however, I'm sure you'd want somebody to test the really weird things that may only come up once or twice a year in any game. For example... When somebody decides to throw a rubber bullet instead of shooting it (Troll with Int 1? ;p). Might want somebody to test that to make sure the game doesn't go "Irk! What to do?!"
Buzzed
My input. Forget all those above mentioned formats. The format that would do the most justice would be the GTA format! love.gif love.gif Skycrapers, cars, guns. The 3 backbones of Shadowrun Seattle. Add Flight Simulator support and water environments, some matrix. Alternate skins for everything for vision modes and Astral projection. You are good to go.

Oh yeah, keep combat turn based like the book.

If you think about it. GTA is kind of like Shadowrun. Run around doing whatever you want, meet some contacts/Johnsons for some runs.... Don't get me wrong though, I don't want to see Shadowrun become another GTA. Start from scratch, with GTA in mind as an inspiration and the focus being the books.

I would like to see the game using 3rd ed rules but start with the 1st edition time setting. This would allow for the metaplot that predated the currently printed books. It would be fun to see some of the old out-of-print runs come to life on the screen.
Kagetenshi
Oh yes. If we ever get it functional we'll certainly be using people from around here for testing. I was just explaining why we had no qualms about having a hideously insecure method of karma-tracking, once we eventually implement that.

~J
NeO_ZeN
If only someone would make a Shadowrun mod for Battlefield 1942....

Call it Battlefield 2063....

smokin.gif

Axis = [insert corp here]
Allies = Shadowrunners
Platzy
Ah, the ever reappearing SR-Computergame threads... smile.gif

Almost 2 years ago I stumbled on a link in this forum that led me to Neocron.

It is clearly inspired by SR but has evolved int oa game of its own.
I like it as it has the most SR like feel of all current Online Game known to me.
Buzzed
QUOTE (Platzy @ Nov 13 2003, 12:16 PM)
Ah, the ever reappearing SR-Computergame threads... smile.gif

Almost 2 years ago I stumbled on a link in this forum that led me to Neocron.

It is clearly inspired by SR but has evolved int oa game of its own.
I like it as it has the most SR like feel of all current Online Game known to me.

Unfortunately it is P2P $30 for 1 month. eek.gif
Tanka
P2P bad... But it does say it has an offline mode.
Kagetenshi
Eww... why? The only reason for anything to be P2P is security (to prevent easy dismantling of the network).
Well... I suppose there's also to prevent having to have an expensive server.

~J
Tanka
$30 for a month? Uh-uh.

I can easily enjoy a game in offline mode, as long as it is well-developed and rounded-out. Don't want a Dragon coming over after I've played for a few hours and eating me.
Buzzed
Doesnt matter, I can't download from Gamespy anyway. grinbig.gif
Platzy
Um... - no. 30$ seems more like the initial buy-cost.

Yes, as a MMORPG there is a monthly fee, but it ranges more around between 7-10$ - depending on your payment intevals (discount if you decide to hook up for 6 months right up front)

The only offline-aspect is a 1 year old offline-demo - but it's fun nonetheless and free to dl from the HP mentioned above.
Buzzed
Anyway we can set up a petition for a Shadowrun computer turn based rpg somewhere and eventually e-mail the petition link to some key players over at Microsoft?
Kagetenshi
Plenty of ways. Not going to do anything, though.

~J
Buzzed
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Plenty of ways. Not going to do anything, though.

~J

With that additude it certainly won't.
Kagetenshi
Petitions in general are iffy because of their relative lack of verifiability; online petitions exponentially more so. Not only that, but most likely the largest pool of people you could get for this petition is the union of groups Shadowrun Players and Computer RPG Players, which isn't that large. You can add a small number who wouldn't play but would want to see it made anyway, but then you have to cut by the number of people who wouldn't actually see the poll. We're not going to have the numbers to make an impression on a corp like Microsoft.

~J
MYST1C
QUOTE (Buzzed)
Unfortunately it is P2P  $30 for 1 month. eek.gif

P2P?
It's an ordinary MMORPG with several servers dedicated to various languages.
And the fee I pay is 24.95 Euro for three months...
(Fortunately you don't have to own a credit card if you're paying in Germany.)
Tiralee
Ok, some ideas here, seeing as I've played an awful LOT of games, and don't see them being mentioned>

Deus Ex - Ok, so I mentioned it already on another thread, but it's a futuristic distopia with nano-augmentation and a pile of easily-moddable combat and stealth skills. Not to mention one of the more engrossingly-painful games I've played. You know how hard it was - and how LONG it took - for me to stop shooting people on general principle?

I remember when it first came out and how a few people were modding it a little, basically bringing in a HMG. (something that I felt was a glaring omission) but it's been a while since I reseached it, so, yeah.

Dungeon Siege - One of the most underrated of Micro$oft's stables. I think that the engine could do so damn much, people were scared of tinkering because they weren't sure what would come out. (Oh, and I kick-ass as a Sith Dark Master. And that chicken mod. Gods.)

Deus and Dungeon are, for certain, single-player only mods. Turn based -

Neverwinter Nights. Ok, so, yeah, I like DnD too. But it's a good'n'funky game... but the engine... Hell, if you could combine Arcanium with Dungeon Siege, it'd make people wet themselves.

Problems? Vehicles - how to impliment? The Siege engine would be an easy work-around, it's so bloody open-ended you could throw in sub-orbitals and get away with it.

Races - This equals skins and models, both of which neverwinter has. Well, except for the whole "I'm a sammy, so why am I all the same colour, and where are the tell-tale LEDs?"

Places - Dungeon Siege again, had some great holes, sewers and temple-ish areas, and a few steam-punk areas. Everything else would need a lot of talented artists.

Items: Ok, since Shadowrun IS a futuristic distopia, I want NERPS signs, drunken orcs (Not waving a battleaxe +1, either.) the Anchients on bikes, Lonestar on patrol and T-birds to make the Lonestar go away. I want "Syndicate" with Magic and Trolls.

Magic: Well, again with the Siege. You want it - you nuke it.

Another engine I forgot, idiot me - Freedom Force! (Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! OI! Oi! Oi!)

Need to play with things to convert from washed-and-scrubbed 50's-nostalga-night-Superheroes-with-perms to "dank-and-evil-Seattle, 2060's..." but it's got a team and turn-based environment.

Not to mention the joy of watching a Cybered Troll Street-sam yank a fire-hydrant out of the street (Difficulty 9, situational modifers applied?) and throw it along into the fire-fight...

Deal is - unless someone comes along with a made-to-order engine, (Morrowwind is ok, but the number of actors would slow things down to a chunky slide-show. And yes, finished it too, along with the Tribunal expansion pack, damn but that was nasty....) and a lot of dedicated creators who were also shadowrun nut-jobs, chances are it'd turn out like C'n'C Renegade. Ok to play for a while, but a little...weak.

Actually, if you could rip some of the models from Renegade...now, there's the transport taken care of....

My rant endith.

L.
Cryptkeeper
how does M$ own the rights to it anyway?
Fortune
FASA sold them to Microsoft, along with the rights to produce Battletech and Mechwarrior.
Cryptkeeper
so microsoft owns the right to shadowrun? thats just f$@ked.
you will not believe how much i hate bill.
Fortune
No! Microsoft owns the interactive computer game rights. Not the rights to the actual RPG itself.
Cryptkeeper
i know that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012