Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PC Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The_Purge
Just wanted to inform you loyal Shadowrun gamers of a thread that has started and would like to see your input. Have a good one.

eek.gif

http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?ac...=ST&f=22&t=1810
Kagetenshi
There's nothing more to say on the topic. Microsoft owns the rights, isn't doing anything with them, and probably won't do anything with them (sell or use) in the forseeable future.

~J
Siege
I was going to ask how much more politically correct a game could become, but never mind...

-Siege
Kagetenshi
As was I.
On a side note, you aren't allowed to call people trying to cause flamewars "Trolls" here, 'cause it's racially insensitive.

~J
Siege
Unless you can prove the poster in question is indeed several meters tall, tusks and humping a flame thrower with similar intents.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
So true.

~J
Siege
Which takes the term "flamer" to new and disturbing levels.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Eventually, though, Lone Star shows up to lock the thread and maybe ban some of the offenders.

~J
Siege
Which is just condescending and offensive to trolls with a lisp. It's not like it was an intentional choice.

Barring a lost bet involving a p-fix chip.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
But they've got the squads of ACLU runners around to protect them.

~J
How does MS Megacorporation of the AAA type have Shadowrun by the ::Shakes fist::...

Just wondering how that happened.
Kagetenshi
Dunno, but they actually had a good-looking game under development until it died. Probably the head programmer was extracted, likely willingly.

~J
danbot37
in all seriousness, MS said it would't do one b/c its working on a game of 'conflicting' interests
BitBasher
Do you have a press release to support that? Because I pay a lot of attention on that front and have never heard that, nor any official announcement.
Buzzed
Hmm, I hope Microsoft doesn't wimp out in fear of being sued by anti-game violence advocates.
moosegod
Shadowrun? Violent? Never! All my guys get hired to put flowers in guns at Penn State.

If by flowers you mean bullets, guns you mean people and Penn State to you mean all over the world.
Kagetenshi
It's not going to wimp out anytime soon, because to wimp out you have to be doing something to wimp out of. It takes no particular courage to continue not making the Shadowrun game that they are quite definitely not making right now.

~J
Userlimit
would like to see SR run on a Vice City engine (with loads of more options), on xbox live where you can link up with 5 or 6 other people.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Userlimit @ Nov 13 2003, 02:45 AM)
xbox live

*Hisses and recoils*

~J

edit: my personal feelings about the Xbox aside, I really don't think something like this should be a console game. Too much complexity.
Wonazer
Kag, I test XBOX's and their games. I have seen what is possible and should have been left in the dark.

I think a single player SR game on the XBOX would be great. Especially on the True Crime:Streets of LA engine (Similar to GTA3, but you play a cop).

A multiplayer version would need a keyboard.

But, overall, I would prefer a PC version.
Siege
My only Xbox experience comes from playing Halo which was actually pretty slick.

Although I agree, the overall complexity would limit the feasibility of console games for the system itself.

-Siege
Tiralee
Hola.

Actually, anyone out there familiar with the Deus Ex engine? Found a legal copy of the old gem for $9 and thought, "Yeah, clocked it a few times, let's see what the GOTY version can do...".

Anyhoo - got my ass kicked yet again - hate having to change my "Twitch, twitch, kill" l33t sk1llz into "Think, plan, ahh, screw it, kill them all" but it was worth it.

Anyhoo, back on thread...

I was looking at the rather dated skins (Hell, I did better with Quake.) and at the interface and thought - futuristic distopic, augments = cyber.... hell, how hard is it to do and elf model anyhow?

I've never interfered with the in-game running, but if it's a tablature-based skill, experience and damage/to-hit datafile, it sould be reasonably easy to change the percentage based success/fail options with a hex-based difficulty multiplier?

say, pistol skill, it's Advanced (I think that was 75%?) make 75%~ 3 pistol skill?

It'd need tweaking, but the basic "World is rotting as we shoot each other" background athmosphere is there...

Ahh, it was an idea.
Dogsoup
I've never played DE; Does it have bullet-time? 'Cause I was thinking now that the modtools for Max Payne 2 is out...
Kagetenshi
...Don't even get me started on bullet-time, the "innovation" that first hit the shelves in 1992 as part of Pathways into Darkness (obviously not called bullet time, though).
Deus Ex is a great, great game, but it's an example of how a game can rock with a crappy engine. It's the whole crappy engine thing that makes me not want to use it for anything else, because while Deus Ex pulled it off, I have no confidence in my ability to make anything that rocks nearly as much as that game.

On a side note, I do NOT plan on using hit locations. The authentic Shadowrun experience!

~J
CirclMastr
Or use the Red Cloak if you want all the enemies to look like Agent Smith-esque blurs. Until they all kill you of course. Ah, memories....
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
As was I.
On a side note, you aren't allowed to call people trying to cause flamewars "Trolls" here, 'cause it's racially insensitive.

~J

Hehe, that was a "snide" note, Kage, not a "side" note .... grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
Fair enough smile.gif

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012