Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping secrets from players
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

But the player isn't the PC. While it is obvious that they should not make use of information that they could not have learned in-game it is far less obvious that they should not know this information, providing that they can prevent their metagamming from turning the game into OOC-run.

Even with a perfect ability to seperate OOC from IC (which doesn't exist IME) giving information they shouldn't have is still a bad idea. At the very least it spoils future surprises or prevents the GM from re-using unexplored plotlines. Which is more fun from a surprise standpoint: "I know the Johnson's son is behind it but won't act on that knowledge," or "Holy crap! Junior's been behind it all along!"

And, really, there are situations when the players darn sure better be spoon-fed information and it is bad form not to do so. These are limited, to be sure, but they do exist.  Obscure puzzles that seem easy to someone with the GMs background but would be completely impossible for someone without that special knowledge to solve is the most obvious example; the GM has a duty to provide an explanation in cases where his logic does not resemble our Earth Logic, which can be quite often and completely unintentional, though there is nothing to suggest that this is the case with the original poster.

True, there are times when outside info is required. However, "Tell me everything we missed, why everything happened, and all the alternate possibilities" is a ludicrous request which is far from being one of those times. I'd laugh at it, and if it persisted inform the player that perhaps my game wasn't for them.

I may, if I feel like it, do a little tell-alling after the entire campaign is over, but only if I wanted, not because it's somehow the player's right to know everything.
DireRadiant
Just sit all the players around and say, "So and so here wants to know everything that happened OOC, so I'm now going to tell all of the you the hidden secrets and agendas of all the NPC and events for tonight and all the stuff I had planned for next session or two. That way you'll all know whats happening everywhere."

"You guys don't mind that do you?"
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (James McMurray)
However, "Tell me everything we missed, why everything happened, and all the alternate possibilities" is a ludicrous request which is far from being one of those times.

That depends entirely whether you plan on using something from that. If you don't... no problems.
James McMurray
I always plan on using something from it. I don't have the time to create every session whole cloth, so anything that doesn't get used is almost certain to get reused at some point.
tisoz
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Just sit all the players around and say, "So and so here wants to know everything that happened OOC, so I'm now going to tell all of the you the hidden secrets and agendas of all the NPC and events for tonight and all the stuff I had planned for next session or two. That way you'll all know whats happening everywhere."

LOL

I just have to say: if someone wants to know everything and exactly what is going on, they need to GM.
James McMurray
QUOTE (tisoz)
I just have to say: if someone wants to know everything and exactly what is going on, they need to GM.

QFT
toturi
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 10 2007, 05:44 AM)

If your players say, "what do you mean 'don't mind', we've been waiting for you to come clean since day 1"?

They'd just have to play a PC that forces the GM not to have any secrets(something that I allow). Or if the GM disallows said PC concept, then the players should read between the lines.
James McMurray
I can't think of a PC type that forces the GM to have no secrets. What does that?
toturi
Any PC that the player cares to design with the express purpose to know everything that is going on.
bibliophile20
Of which you have a plethora of in your game, IIRC.
toturi
In 1 game, yes. And there is only 3 of such PCs.
James McMurray
QUOTE (toturi)
Any PC that the player cares to design with the express purpose to know everything that is going on.

Ah, I must have misunderstood. That PC still requires them to actively look for information, which is not what this thread is about. This thread is about players being handed information simply because they demanded it of the GM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012