Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Horror of Shedim
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gothic Rose
Alright, so I just got my hands on Street Magic and Shadows of Asia (fluff material ahoy!) and some parts about shedim appearing in Jerusalem (known for mana warps and astral rifts) made me start thinking...

Are the Shedim a precursor to the Horrors of Earthdawn? It seems that way to me. They seem, to me, to be astral horrors, that, due to the lower magic level of the current 6th age, are unable to manifest physically for long periods (i.e., Evanescence).

Is there anything remotely canon to support this theory? I rather hope so, although I'm more than willing to break canon in this case, since one of the themes of the SR4 game I'll be running is the link between the 4th Age and the 6th Age.
MaxHunter
yes they are. And bug spirits too -the invae- and dragons are...
Anyway, lots have been said about this, and I am not the most qualified to guide you through the material, but:

-I recommend you browse this forums -particularly the shadowrun discussion forum- with the earthdawn connection query, please be sure to modify your query in order to allow older posts

-Find "Ancient History" -the poster here- His website has some almost canonical material in that regard you may like to read. Also, as name implies, he is into older stuff.

You are on the right track, cheers!

Max
Ancient History
Hmm? Someone rang?

It's unclear whether shedim are Horrors or not. They bear several similiar attributes, but they're not exactly like anything in Earthdawn.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Hmm? Someone rang?

It's unclear whether shedim are Horrors or not. They bear several similiar attributes, but they're not exactly like anything in Earthdawn.

Hrm. From what I've gathered, it would seem that AZT may actually have horrors inside some of their temple facilities. Could the shedim have any connection with blood spirits? I know that blood spirits didn't really exist in Earthdawn - could they, too, be some sort of chrysalis form of horror?
Ancient History
Unlikely. There may be some connection, due to the attraction blood magic has for the Horrors, but it doesn't seem to be their modus operandi. Have you gone through the Aztlan Annotations?
Rotbart van Dainig
Keep in mind that SR4 has a fundamentally different take on Blood Spirits:

You don't summon a Blood Spirit - while invoking a normal Spirit into Great Form, you use Blood Magic to increase its power, thereby tainting it.
NightmareX
Which may actually be closer to way the setting implies. It certainly fits the DH trilogy better.
Ophis
The shedim kinda remind me of the Gahmeks (see Twiceborn of the Parlainth Undead.) but made visible.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Unlikely. There may be some connection, due to the attraction blood magic has for the Horrors, but it doesn't seem to be their modus operandi. Have you gone through the Aztlan Annotations?

Yeeeesss... The Aztlan Annotations are serving as a bit of inspiration for my upcoming SR4 game.
Grinder
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Are the Shedim a precursor to the Horrors of Earthdawn? It seems that way to me. They seem, to me, to be astral horrors, that, due to the lower magic level of the current 6th age, are unable to manifest physically for long periods (i.e., Evanescence).

They might be astral horrors (similar to the mentioned Gharmek), but there is no proof for this theory.
James McMurray
Does anyone know the licensing issues? Can Shadowrun and Earthdawn touch that closely on each other anymore, or have the licenses spread out too far?
Grinder
Afaik links can be brought up between the two games.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Jul 7 2007, 10:35 AM)
Are the Shedim a precursor to the Horrors of Earthdawn?  It seems that way to me.  They seem, to me, to be astral horrors, that, due to the lower magic level of the current 6th age, are unable to manifest physically for long periods (i.e., Evanescence). 

They might be astral horrors (similar to the mentioned Gharmek), but there is no proof for this theory.

Gharmek is a relatively poor comparison. For one, it's a physical Horror. For two, it doesn't inhabit the dead, it can animate large numbers of dead bodies and allow them to retain their former personalities. Very different in many respects.
Dammi
Hiya!

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Does anyone know the licensing issues? Can Shadowrun and Earthdawn touch that closely on each other anymore, or have the licenses spread out too far?

There are no licensing issues (unless you have something specific in mind that I'm missing here smile.gif ). The links that are in place haven't lost their validity, and we (that's Rob and me) exchange ideas every now and then to keep them alive as well as introduce new ones. Earthdawn and Shadowrun are siblings, and we treat them as such.

Best,

Dammi
Grinder
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 17 2007, 09:20 PM)
Are the Shedim a precursor to the Horrors of Earthdawn?  It seems that way to me.  They seem, to me, to be astral horrors, that, due to the lower magic level of the current 6th age, are unable to manifest physically for long periods (i.e., Evanescence). 

Gharmek is a relatively poor comparison. For one, it's a physical Horror. For two, it doesn't inhabit the dead, it can animate large numbers of dead bodies and allow them to retain their former personalities. Very different in many respects.

I know; the only similarity they have is the control of other body. That's not much, but at least a little.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Dammi)
There are no licensing issues (unless you have something specific in mind that I'm missing here smile.gif ). The links that are in place haven't lost their validity, and we (that's Rob and me) exchange ideas every now and then to keep them alive as well as introduce new ones. Earthdawn and Shadowrun are siblings, and we treat them as such.

Sweet! When can we expect a full scale invasion from some of the nastier big bads? smile.gif
Dammi
Hiya!

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Sweet! When can we expect a full scale invasion from some of the nastier big bads? smile.gif

These things always hit you from out of nowhere. biggrin.gif

Best,

Dammi
fistandantilus4.0
Vote BoneCrown for President! UCAS UNITED!
Ancient History
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 18 2007, 02:45 AM)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 17 2007, 09:20 PM)

I know; the only similarity they have is the control of other body. That's not much, but at least a little.

Eh. Demiwraith is closer.
Grinder
1:0 for you.

How could I dare to challenge AH? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012