Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergence and the future of the present
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
yeah, that's another gripe of mine.
Talia Invierno
I'll agree with you re SURGE.

I wonder -- how generally well known do you think are the climate backfires and other complications of the Great Ghost Dance? I mentioned climate first, because extremes tend to get the most press, and Seattle has some vested interest in knowing about those extremes in its immediate neighbours. From the text, it does strike me as being common knowledge at least within the NAN that these environmental effects are known to be linked to the Great Ghost Dance ... and thus (now that the major societal issue has been resolved) that there might be second and third and fourth thoughts about running another one: even if one of the great world powers tried to encourage it. Aztechnology came closest to trying something similar, and was defeated without most of the world even realising what had happened.

Technomancers look -- average, the kid next door you wouldn't look at twice. (Now there's a horror film stereotype!) At this point in the timeline most of them would have datajacks: but who even really sees those anymore?

The invisible threat is one of the great frameworks for horror films.

Street magic tells us directly that the public conception is that magicians don't look average, and are very much not invisible. They may be hated or feared, but at least they stand out -- and if the social view toward guns is at all similar to today's, guns will still be seen as the great equiliser.

Here's a curious statistic question for you: how many of Seattle's citizens do you think have been shot by people who thought they were casting a spell at them? Even when they're wrong and the victim isn't Awakened at all, the public perception will still reinforce the idea that guns make a good defence against the Awakened. It's not so scary when you can put a bullet through its heart and kill it.

Interestingly, they don't against technomancers -- in direct proportion to their level of interactive tech.
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Maybe if they had a year/book or two to be mysterious and scary NPCs that we could all hate before a book came out showing us what they're really like and letting people play them we'd be able to identify with them.

Hmm. Really starting to appreciate just how much those two pages at the end of Aztlan did for creating a preconception of the otaku and AIs.
Jaid
it is worth noting that while a magician can 'hack your brain' it really only lasts a little while...

whereas a TM who hacks your brain (read: applies psychotropic programs to your brain) will have significantly more long-lasting results...

besides, the way it was presented to the public at first, TMs may as well have been magicians... unless you think it's reasonable to cause a building to explode by hacking without some sort of bomb being previously set up.

so lets keep in mind that as far as the public is concerned, these people can hack something and simply cause it to explode. that's scary. some TM in china could be hacking your commlink while you're sitting there reading the morning paper, and without ever once touching your commlink before, just make it explode. now, we all know that doesn't work in any way, but if you're just now hearing about this sort of thing, it's possible you just assume that they're some sort of magic, and that they *can* do that. and all of the people who have the information to prove otherwise are busy feeding the fire so that they don't look like they caused it.
mfb
TMs in Emergence are not presented as everyman terrors. they're presented as insane people, AIPS nutjobs who shout and gesticulate wildly when they use their powers.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Jaid)
it is worth noting that while a magician can 'hack your brain' it really only lasts a little while...

But 'the people' don't know that, either. They just know that any magician can make them eat their children's gut while they are still alive.

And, in fact, Alter Memory lasts quite long.
knasser

I agree with those other posters that pointed to fear mongering in previous times to show that Emergence could have been written in earlier editions. But one thing that I think has changed is that previously, the prime villain would be a government that spread its propoganda, with editors being arrested and papers shut down, etc. In Emergence, the media itself is very clearly the problem, being not merely complicit, but indistinguisable from the corporate forces behind them. And that is a reflection of our current times, more than it's ever been before, I think. Have a look at this. Most of the media in the US (and much of the rest of the world), is owned by six, [very large] companies. We have vaster and more far-reaching sources of information than ever before in human history, yet it's also more consolidated than (I think) it's ever been. You'd probably have to go back to pre-printing press days, and maybe even early civilisations to find something comparable in this regard. So I think Emergence is a reflection of our own time more than might have been thought. I still don't get that the hysteria over TM's is very believable, however.

On the subject of RL politcs, I'll not respond further on this here as several posters have expressed that they would prefer it remain on a single topic. It's interesting to discuss these things with other dumpshockers, however, as we are a group drawn from many walks of life. PM me off list, if you prefer.

Regards,

-K.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Personally, I think that the Insect menace would be a much better target for Sixth World fearmongers than Technomancers are. Technomancers can make your comlink play Livin' Lavita Loca. Insects can eat your soul out and wear your skin like an Edgar Suit, only better fitting. And literally anyone can be a solitary bug.

Agreed most emphatically. With the bugs about, there is no need for any government to manufacture an enemy to scare people with. No amount of technomancers could compete with the paranoia and fear that the bugs ought to inspire!
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 11 2007, 04:47 PM)
Personally, I think that the Insect menace would be a much better target for Sixth World fearmongers than Technomancers are.  Technomancers can make your comlink play Livin' Lavita Loca.  Insects can eat your soul out and wear your skin like an Edgar Suit, only better fitting.  And literally anyone can be a solitary bug.

Agreed most emphatically. With the bugs about, there is no need for any government to manufacture an enemy to scare people with. No amount of technomancers could compete with the paranoia and fear that the bugs ought to inspire!

Oh come on, the technomancers blew up an entire hospital!
All the bugs ever did was kidnap thousands of people, turn them into horrible monsters, replace politicians, and destroy an entire city.
sarcastic.gif
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 11 2007, 06:45 PM)
TMs in Emergence are not presented as everyman terrors. they're presented as insane people, AIPS nutjobs who shout and gesticulate wildly when they use their powers.

Those are. But how many others are there who are secret nutjobs -- but look perfectly normal on the outside?

Dread is not a logical thing.

QUOTE (knasser)
In Emergence, the media itself is very clearly the problem, being not merely complicit, but indistinguisable from the corporate forces behind them. And that is a reflection of our current times, more than it's ever been before, I think.

Whichever side of the polarity you fall on, the influence of the mass media is not something to be underestimated. Bluntly, we still don't understand the full extent of its power. I asked a professor of media and information technology -- whose paper that he'd just given held a heavy assumption that the mass media shapes our attitudes -- whether it wasn't also true that (in a market-driven society) it was shaped by our attitudes?

The truth, I think, lies somewhere in between. Mass media (and often only one or two streams thereof) is often our only accepted source for information -- but at the same time the information presented is that which the public has shown a willingness to watch. Thus: if it bleeds, it leads -- which also creates a spiral of distorted perception, since I'm perfectly able to walk down most of the streets which are often painted in these stories as local reigns of terror. But if my only source of information were that media stream: how could I know that?

This is the effect at a local level: and I've first-hand seen shifts in reporting style and story selection shift public attitude. As to greater issues: no matter what the polarity of the ideology, there is a commonality of belief that the media biases information so as to encourage a specific perspective. (Disagreement lies only along which direction the bias is in -- not that there is not a bias, or that the bias doesn't have an effect.) And one step further: who chooses which stories to air? Who selects headlines, or spikes stories, or even plants them?

SR relevance is that almost all mass media is corporation-owned: and while corporations have retained and somewhat controlled magical services almost since the Awakening (see scholarship program) -- technomancers, for now, are out of their jurisdiction, and have powers that threaten them at a level simple magic no longer can.

Which direction does it follow that corporations would wish to sway public opinion?
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
All the bugs ever did was kidnap thousands of people, turn them into horrible monsters, replace politicians, and destroy an entire city.
sarcastic.gif

Anyone remember the baby incubator story which spiked the outrage which led to the first Gulf War?
mfb
that's a point i'll agree with, somewhat. on the other hand, people are turning more and more to alternative news outlets. youtube, blogs, and the like are diversifying the news intake of the general public. that's something that can certainly be exploited, and all the small-news sources combined probably don't match the numbers of people who watch Fox News every night. but still, it shows that it's possible to get 'real' news.

oh, here's the baby incubator story, for those of us who were still in school during GW1.
MaxHunter
QFT
Jaid
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
QFT

you know, normally when you QFT something, you quote it so people know what you're QFTing...

unless you were trying to indicate that nothing is the truth, in which case i have to disagree... nothing cannot logically exist =D

anyways, i would also point out that it is possible to control magicians to some extent. while a magician can do scary things, they need tools and devices to make it work. to make a focus, it takes enchanting supplies. binding requires binding materials. magicians need to have a lodge. to perform a ritual, you need various items (depending on tradition). to learn a spell, you must have access to the formula, etc.

technomancers, on the other hand, don't need anything. no tools, no equipment, absolutely nothing that can be regulated.
mfb
hell, until recently, i didn't know what QFT was. i thought it was some wild-ass variant of WTF. i don't remember snapping at anyone for QFTing me... but if i did, sorry.

QUOTE (Jaid)
while a magician can do scary things, they need tools and devices to make it work.

i would disagree with this. foci are nice, but they are in no way required for a mage to do scary stuff.
Talia Invierno
I'd just been looking it up. Lit: Quote For Truth -- and it does have two, almost directly opposite meanings.

Most commonly it expresses strong agreement with what was just said.

Less commonly it is added after a quoted section (to prevent the previous writer from editing out what they'd just said): indicating contempt for the perceived level of integrity or veracity.

Edit: oh, and least common of all, Quit Fucking Talking -- do I really need to elaborate?
Talia Invierno
I'm retyping this from Street Magic (p.9), which indicates popular perceptions of magic. It's more extended than I like to quote, but it directly covers some of the issues we've been discussing.
[S]uppose an extraterrestial being were to enter orbit around Earth and attempt to learn about magic using nothing but our mainstream, pop-culture entertainment sources.  What might he discover?  A few possibilities:

• Magicians fall into four basic types: beautiful human women wearing too little clothing; square-jawed human men with oddly-colored eyes; metahumans of both genders who are either sly or bumbling, and usually evil; and ninjas.  A little more research might get you cold-eyed Asians or dark-skinned zombie masters, but let's stick with the highlights for now.

• Magicians are quite fearsome; they can sling powerful spells all day long with no adverse effects (unless, of course, the plot calls for the magician to suffer a setback, in which case a simple stun spell will drop her to her knees immediately).

• Magicians can do whatever they need to do in order to get the job done: summon powerful spirits, read minds, compel people to kill their own children, or teleport from one side of a town to another.

• Magic requires elaborate gestures, recitation of complicated incantations, or other showy accompaniments.  In the same vein, magic always results in a massive display of pyrotechnics, even if the spell in question is as prosaic as simple healing or invisibility.

• Magicians always use the showiest, most powerful, and most damaging spell that fits a situation.  Magicians are proud of being magicians and are never subtle (except when they're invisible).

• Magicians can spy on your every move astrally or with spirits, no matter where you're hiding.

It all sounds rather silly when you read it here, doesn't it?  But you'd be surprised at the number of people who believe a lot of that nonsense.
Buster
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 11 2007, 02:59 PM)
  • Magicians are quite fearsome; they can sling powerful spells all day long with no adverse effects (unless, of course, the plot calls for the magician to suffer a setback, in which case a simple stun spell will drop her to her knees immediately).
  • Magicians can do whatever they need to do in order to get the job done: summon powerful spirits, read minds, compel people to kill their own children, or teleport from one side of a town to another.
  • Magicians can spy on your every move astrally or with spirits, no matter where you're hiding.

Doesn't this list prove our point? Wouldn't these three public misconceptions add up to magophobia?
Talia Invierno
"Our"?

I don't think I've ever denied fear. I just pointed out that there was a major political and corporate network in place to channel it.

But don't forget the points about magic always being showy and visible and always requiring some kind of elaborate preparation that takes time. Threats that are overt are much less frightening. And (plot device!) drain always kicks in when the plot requires it.

(And once again I'm reminded of Indiana Jones facing down the swordsman.)

Thus: fear the magician, yes. Envy them even: for they can do things that you secretly wish you could do. But you'll always know it when they're doing it, you'll always have enough time to take them out first (because you know what to look for), and the good guys will prevail.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jul 11 2007, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 11 2007, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 11 2007, 04:47 PM)
Personally, I think that the Insect menace would be a much better target for Sixth World fearmongers than Technomancers are.  Technomancers can make your comlink play Livin' Lavita Loca.  Insects can eat your soul out and wear your skin like an Edgar Suit, only better fitting.  And literally anyone can be a solitary bug.

sarcastic.gif

Of course, there are philosophical questions about the nature of metahuman identity that might lead some people to the conclusion that becoming a Flesh Form just gives you superpowers and a connection to your new family, in which case Bugs are good. Who doesn't want superpowers? If the UB wasn't shut down, it would have thousands of people standing in line for days waiting for their turn, which makes me think that hiding their true nature was a mistake.
Particle_Beam
Unless someone points out that they eat your souls, which for the big majority of people is a frightening thought that will make everybody go against the Universal Brotherhood.

And it is depicted as eating your soul away, which doesn't make it easier for the bug spirits. dead.gif
Buster
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 11 2007, 03:38 PM)
But don't forget the points about magic always being showy and visible and always requiring some kind of elaborate preparation that takes time.  Threats that are overt are much less frightening.  And (plot device!) drain always kicks in when the plot requires it.

(And once again I'm reminded of Indiana Jones facing down the swordsman.)

Thus: fear the magician, yes.  Envy them even: for they can do things that you secretly wish you could do.  But you'll always know it when they're doing it, you'll always have enough time to take them out first (because you know what to look for), and the good guys will prevail.

But isn't that true about terrorists today? Picture in your mind a terrorist. I can pretty much tell you what you see: an arab, male, probably with a picnic napkin on his head, with bandoleers of ak-47 ammo across his chest, holding an rocket launcher. Everyone knows he screams "Jihad!" and trills like a siren before he attacks. Everyone knows that you have several seconds to run out of a building if you see an arab man stride into a bank with an overcoat on before he detonates the dynamite strapped to his chest. Just because that's a popular image doesn't mean the fear stops there.

Public paranoia is so high, entire cities are brought to a screeching stop because someone saw a few litebrite signs on the sides of the road. My irish-german gramma gets scanned inside and out whenever she flies on an airplane. Arabs and anyone with a vaguely middle eastern name are refused service at restaurants. Most of the bill of rights are gone now for everyone. It doesn't matter if someone is carrying a rocket launcher or screaming "Jihad", the masses still want to lash out and public officials still want to grab control.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
Unless someone points out that they eat your souls, which for the big majority of people is a frightening thought that will make everybody go against the Universal Brotherhood.

And it is depicted as eating your soul away, which doesn't make it easier for the bug spirits. dead.gif

Noone knows if there even are any souls. And for that matter, there's no particular evidence that becoming a Bug destroys your soul any more than say getting killed or eating pork. Other religions can't "point out" that becoming a bug spirit destroys your soul because there's nothing to see that would convince you beyond reasnable doubt that this is the case. All they can do is make the unsupported claim that joining the Invae damns you - a claim that as I recall every major religion already makes about every other major religion to little overall effect.

Now, a true form or hybrid form is generally speaking "not you" from the vast majority of definitions of self. So by most standards a failure to become a Flesh Form involves you actually getting killed. And at the UB's start the creation of Flesh Forms was extremely rare - almost everyone came out as a hybrid and most of the hives and nests actually wanted prospective hosts to turn into True Forms. So when the UB was starting up they actually had essentially nothing to offer the people of Earth and had to operate in secret.

In 2070 however, when the remaining hives have been convinced of the advantages of creating Flesh Forms and have advanced techniques that allow this to be a prevalent effect - yeah there's no reason that hives couldn't just put out infomercials about the advantages of being a Flesh Form Hive Soldier and have people line up for the procedure. But in the 2040s they actually couldn't do that because they lacked the sophistication to make such infomercials and they didn't have demonstratio copies of anything that humans wanted to buy into.

Or rather, they did. They seriously could have set up shop in Seoul or Pyongyang and put up signs with tear-off numbers that said:

"Dou you want to be a Hydralisk in REAL LIFE!? It may seem amazing, but MAGIC can make the Amazing a Reality! You can join the OVERMIND as a Hydralisk or even an Ultralisk with only a weeks worth of training in our specially prepared hive zone! Now accepting casting calls to become our brood's very own Kerrigan FOR REAL!!!

We have Magic and this is totally serious. You're a Teran now, but you could be upgraded into an Infested Teran."

People would totally do that. But again, in the 2040s the Invae lacked the cultural sophistication to understand that they could do their thing in plain sight so long as they adhered to specific cultural and philosophical positions. By 2070 they actually know how to pull it off, but they've generated enough bad press already that they have to make their pitch behind closed doors to power brokers who can hide them.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
But that doesn't solve the low-level fears humans have towards insects on a general scale.
Particle_Beam
That's only if you still think Starcraft was still popular in Korea in the year 2070. nyahnyah.gif
And with the return of magic, the korean religion also gained much foothold, and Shadows over Asia does depict the koreans being mostly spiritualistic. If their priests (not possessed for now) say that bug spirits eat your souls and are filthy monsters, they are.

And for how game-crazy the koreans might seem, I still do think that in the end, they'd rather prefer to look like elves than rather being a walking coackroach for life. I mean, Lineage 2 with the bouncy-boobilicious (yeah, I made that word up) Dark Elf-Gurlz also quite shows what is quite popular. nyahnyah.gif

Or at least a cool super-sleak elven ninja assassin, or something human.
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Buster)
Public paranoia is so high, entire cities are brought to a screeching stop because someone saw a few litebrite signs on the sides of the road.

I remember reading about that. Boston, wasn't it?

But -- "everyone" knows this because that's what "everyone" has been led to believe, and one domestic event has now calcified mindset. (Other events on international soil, but domestic attitude is what we're dealing with here, and international just doesn't have the same place in popular consciousness.) There's an interesting study about bee-striped stinging insects: we have been so predisposed to being wary of them that it only takes a single sting to calcify a permanent fear of bee-striped stinging insects.

In SR, corporate and government interests have a vested interest in making sure that kind of mindset is very carefully channelled indeed. Fear isn't a problem in and of itself, so long as it's the kind of fear that leads to a respectful hands-off and not the kind that leads to burning out wasp nests. Why would any SR corporation want to encourage the public to make targets of its mages? They're far too valuable!

RL domestic corporate and government interests also channel public opinion, but really have no vested interest in neutralising public dread of a few specific stereotypes in the slightest. With these types, there's no profit in it.
Buster
I would say "ditto" for technomancers.

If I was the evil CEO of an evil empire (and hopefully I will be someday), I would have my technomancers and I would use them against everyone else's technomancers. I wouldn't want my technomancers hunted anymore than I would want my mages or attorneys hunted.
Xenith
QUOTE (mfb)
but it's still... cartoony, like something out of an episode of GI Joe. the anti-TM crowd has all the depth of a sidewalk puddle, you can't identify with them at all.

Public opinion twisted by errant media coverage, for any reason, tends to make people who buy into it despite the evidence otherwise seem cartoony. You'd be surprised how often I wonder what bad script writter wrote a Bush speech or a Democratic response. Even normal people can seem like they come from another stereotypical reality.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Buster)

If I was the evil CEO of an evil empire (and hopefully I will be someday), I would have my technomancers and I would use them against everyone else's technomancers. I wouldn't want my technomancers hunted anymore than I would want my mages or attorneys hunted.

As a Lawful Evil CEO of Bane, I'd have them all hunted down and brought to me, with only those who work for me being immune to such hunting. When captured, the rogue technomancers would be given mechanical cranial bombs with no electronic components whatsoever, which have an exterior port for re-winding their clockwork timers, though this port only accepts a unique unduplicatable one-of-a-kind key that only I possess and the winding must be performed in an exact sequence that only I know or else the device will explode. On top of that, I'd also give them multiple layers of psychotropic conditioning to make them love me completely and totally as a Saint loves God, as a parent loves a child, and as a lover loves a lover, with such total and complete devotion that they would happily drink the green kool-aid at my whim.
There would also be some bunraku training in there somewhere, but not very much, because I'd already have trouble satisfying my entire mundane bunraku harem.
FrankTrollman
Really? Because after the amount of bioware I'd pump into my body, I'd never have trouble satisfying my bunraku harem.

Never.

-Frank
Xenith
"Stamina? Like a horse, doll." grinbig.gif rotfl.gif biggrin.gif
Talia Invierno
Too late for a serious reply?
QUOTE (Buster)

So will I -- once the corporations begin to understand what they are and how to control them / make them happy. They've already worked it out for the mages.
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Too late for a serious reply?
QUOTE (Buster)

So will I -- once the corporations begin to understand what they are and how to control them / make them happy. They've already worked it out for the mages.

Well, the answer for keeping mages happy is simple. Give them money. Loads of money. And then, keep them under your leash. That works good, because there is only so few magicians.

However, the corporations want to figure out if they could reproduce Technomancers more easily than say a magician... And some other corporation (specialised in selling matrix products) would rather find out how to neutralize the Technomancers, because they won't be consumers to their products.
That would be truly horrible for them if nobody needed to buy a comlink anymore.
mfb
QUOTE (Xenith)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 11 2007, 12:17 PM)
but it's still... cartoony, like something out of an episode of GI Joe. the anti-TM crowd has all the depth of a sidewalk puddle, you can't identify with them at all.

Public opinion twisted by errant media coverage, for any reason, tends to make people who buy into it despite the evidence otherwise seem cartoony. You'd be surprised how often I wonder what bad script writter wrote a Bush speech or a Democratic response. Even normal people can seem like they come from another stereotypical reality.

that doesn't mean our fiction has to be stereotypical to keep up.
Xenith
Well think about it this way. Even with the stereotypical fiction and people, it still makes more sense than reality.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Really? Because after the amount of bioware I'd pump into my body, I'd never have trouble satisfying my bunraku harem.

Never.

-Frank

It wouldn't be a matter of stamina, of course, but a matter of there not being enough hours in a month to fit them all in. It would be like that Chinese Emperor who inspired the creation of a giant water-clock because he needed something to tell him which wife to have sex with when (though this was driven by a precise need to time conception as much as by an overabundance of randy wifes in relation to time.)

I do have an on topic question about the Technomancer menace, however. Is there any canon SR4 info on the Matrix security of the CC's big honkin' space cannons?
MaxHunter
Not that I remember Hymarca, but there you go, first target of the terrorist technomancer threat! -t3- War games anyone?

Cheers,

Max
Buster
Awesome quote from Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich Marshall from the Nuremberg Trials After WWII:
"Voice or no voice, the people can alway be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for a lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
MaxHunter
twice
Fortune
'Twas doubly meaningful.
Talia Invierno
In light of that quote, mentioning the shaping of public opinion around a major event could stand cross-posting. As I recall, a major justification of the Nazis was to focus on the burning of the Reichstag -- an event which turned out to have been done by the Nazis themselves. But it doesn't matter so much even whether or not the event actually happened, so long as the public can be made firmly to believe it did, and to assign blame where you choose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012