Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: He said - She said
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
tisoz
QUOTE (Interesting comment from another thread where a GM asked for opinions about his decisions)
Whenever I see a thread like this, I wonder how many of the diehard opponents and proponents have stable, long-term games of which they are a part. (Wouldn't that make for an interesting discussion, if each person had to precede their post with a statement not only of years of experience playing, but of how long their longest campaign lasted?)

If one is lucky enough to have participated in a long running game, is their opinion more valid than a newbie with a sense of fairness?

If you have not been a part of a long running game, should your opinions be discounted?

Would preceding a post with years of play and longest game matter? Or would it be as potentially misleading as the post count titles and join date that are currently displayed?

These questions and more coming right up when we answer, Why should anyone listen to you?
Ravor
Firstly I believe the answer is no, it doesn't really matter. I've known people who were "natural DMs" from the start as well as a guy who had DMed for years and (in my opinion) wasn't any better then the first time he sat down.

Also unless you are planning on sending the Gaming Police to interview the DM's Players how in the nine hells are you going to know whether or not Joe Dumpshocker really has been DMing for decades?

As for why people should listen to anyone on the internet, well that is something that each person has to decide on a case-by-case basis. cyber.gif
toturi
The answer to "why should anyone listen to you?" is quite simple actually(at least for me). Because someone asked. That someone should listen, otherwise, why ask the question/s in the first place? Unless that question was specifically addressed to someone, the person who asked the question should listen to whoever answers - he might not agree, but he should listen(or read in the case of internet forums).

Most of the time, my opinions are based on the game mechanics and my literal interpretation of them. So if you don't want to listen, it is fine, just like if you are a GM, you do not need to follow the rules.
knasser
It doesn't matter who says 2+2 = 5, they are still wrong (except for very large values of 2 nyahnyah.gif ). Respect, allegiance or (especially) authority should never be allowed to distort our judgement of what is correct.

Likewise, a resistance to accept something that we know to be correct because we dislike the teller or the manner of telling is also a weakness.

The two problems together do our species endless harm. We should judge things using reason. There is no obligation on the part of any poster to state their "qualifications" unless there is some exceptional reason to do so. An appeal to authority is a very common indicator of a weak argument.
Backgammon
"Why should anyone listen to you".. that's sort of like putting the whole concept of an internet discussion forum into question, isn't it?

But the reason why anyone should listen to you, here on Dumpshock, are the same as why people whould listen to you in real life. You value someone or other's opinion, over those of someone else's, based on the history of each people.

As a long time poster here, I 'know' the various other posters here. I know the 'speciality' that some have, such as matrix, firearms, 80's based campaign themes, etc. I also know those that put more thoughts into their ideas versus those that don't really, those that take a more global view of their ideas versus those just posting what works in his specific group's experience.

The specific length of their GMing experience is technically of no value. Once someone has demonstrated through a few posts that he's not an idiot and can think through an idea, than that's all that matters.

Obviously, this leaves the DSF newbie in the same situation any newbie has - he has to prove himself. Walking in here and saying "I have 20 years GMing experience, I'm always right" just isn't going to get you any points. Everyone has to hang around a bit and post in order to have his opinion be valued.
tisoz
Maybe the comment hit home with me because I have tried to game for over 15 years, but the longest a group I was a part of stayed together was just 2 years. It seems something always comes along to dissolve the group, or as in a group I started over a decade ago that is still playing the last I heard, I moved away and had to quit. And I have a tough time finding groups to join.

I think I'm an good player and a so so GM, but am I deluding myself? I know I have come across more abrasively on these forums than I intended at times. I even got kicked out of my own game. So with this resume', should I be offering advice? Or should anyone even listen to it? I hope there are ideas that can be taken from some of my posts that prove helpful. Otherwise I am wasting my time responding, because I'm not doing it to show my superiority or to pump my post count on the path to Great Dragon or Immortal Elf.
knasser
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 8 2007, 04:34 PM)
Should I be offering advice?

Absolutely. For three reasons - One, people are free to accept or discard your advice as they feel appropriate so don't take all the responsibility upon yourself. Two, regardless of accuracy of advice, you contribute to the flow and sustainment of debate and conversation which is valuable in itself. Three, your advice might be right.

I know that I've found some of your posts challenging, but everyone is better for you having posted them, even if it's just the good exercise of trying to argue with you occasion! wink.gif

I think I'm an good player and a so so GM, but am I deluding myself?

No-one on the forums can answer that, but if you're enjoying yourself, then that's certainly one of the criteria, and all of us are learning all the time.
Ravor
Well personally I believe you should continue offering suggestions and allow others to decide on their worth, after all something that flopped horribly with one group might just be what the doctor ordered with another.

Besides, even if your resume' is as gloomy as you've presented it here (Surely you've had good times as well or you wouldn't still be gaming.), negative examples are just as valuable as positive ones for teaching.
tisoz
Hey, the thread isn't about me personally, although I kind of steared it that way. I have had a blast gaming and I have had disasters related to gaming. Ask Sphynx about the 'No walls in Denver' episode. wink.gif I can laugh about it now; I hope he does.

Some of the early posts reflected my thoughts pretty well. (Even the posts directed to me personally seem pretty on target.) I guess even the people who are delusional can present good ideas. If nothing else, they offer a different point of view, get you to consider an option you would never have considered or relate a personal anecdote you would never have believed possible.
knasser
We're all delusional. Some disorders are merely more popular with the inmates than others.

Every now and then, someone on this planet goes sane and gets themselves killed by the others for it.
Ravor
Ok then, if you don't want the thread to be about you despite your stearing then simply pretend that I was talking about the "general you" instead, the basic point remains the same. cyber.gif
Talia Invierno
Fyi, the very next post explaining that quote, from Brutal GM'ing, was:
I don't reply to firearms threads, as my experience with firearms is so comparatively minimal as to make any contribution I could make worse than minimal.

Outside SR3 rules questions I don't reply to vehicle pimping threads, as my experience with vehicle engines falls far short of many here: and so I learn far more than I would be capable of adding.

Why shouldn't experience in maintaining a long-term, stable campaign be a valid and even expected self-limiter for posting in a thread critiquing GMing style of a long-term GM? What is that advice worth, otherwise?

It's exactly true what Backgammon says: the concept of assuming that anyone should have experience in what they are talking about does put the whole concept of an internet discussion forum into question.

Doesn't make what anyone says valueless, though. I have yet to find that, in anyone.

Incidentally, in this day and age of job change and cross-country and cross-world move, two years is a very long time together. I'm referencing against another thread: where over 40% of respondents had PCs of less than 50 karma, 63% came in at under 100 karma, and 10% never even managed to get a game going (including on Dumpshock). At one point in the thread linked to that poll, it was even implied that some respondents might be including extra pregen karma in their totals.

Maybe it's time to do that poll again and the related one of longest sustained group time togther, in this forum separately from the Shadowrun forum -- and see what those results tell us.
Ravor
Yes but the problem is that you are still using the Honor System in order to measure how to weigh someone's opinion instead of judging based solely off that person's own words.

For example how would we really know that Joe Dumpshocker replying to that thread is really a long term DM who has players waiting in line to play in his games?

In fact how would we know that John Dumpshocker who pipes up in order to back Joe's claim isn't really just Joe posting under a different handle?

Questions like that is why I think it's far better to simply take what a poster says and judge him/her based off his/her posts instead of an unprovable claim to authority.
Nerf'd
I'd have to agree - the appeal to authority is the first sign of a bad argument.

It doesn't matter how long a person has been running games. The person just starting out may be an awesome storyteller, or may fall flat on his face. Either situation requires the person to learn, and if they can't learn, they don't improve.

So yes, I'd agree with Ravor and Talia - if you want to know how seriously to take a response, go check some other comments they've made and judge for yourself.
Solomon Greene
QUOTE (tisoz)
Why should anyone listen to you?

Because they happen to like and agree with my post.

Really, what more is there to say? If I say good things, sensible things, people will listen. If I spout off stupidly, people will not. I don't have to go around and set up what I'm saying with some sort of useless factoid.

Either what I'm saying is worth listening to, or it isn't.

Experience and "wisdom" do not, in and of themselves, add value to content provided. The content is either inherent in the material or is it lacking. Good content can be based on said values, but presenting the values as "proof of content" is just ludicrous.

I believe this topic is silly.
toturi
QUOTE (Nerf'd)
I'd have to agree - the appeal to authority is the first sign of a bad argument.

Appeal to authority can be quite a convincing argument, to me. If someone were to point to the rulebook and quote something from it, that's authority to me.
If I say good things, sensible things, people will listen. If I spout off stupidly, people will not.
Assumption 1: Good, sensible things to you are good, sensible things to other people.
Assumption 2: People do not like what you were spouting off stupidly.
sunnyside
Alright from my experience as a graduate student.

Listen to everyone, believe no one.

This is because I've found that incredibly smart people, people with experience and tenure and all that, are still wrong. Not just occasionally, I mean all the time.

And even the lowliest undergrad can have a stroke of genious.

Now in my work I can generally tell right from wrong if I check into it. And in many threads one can fall back on RAW or the FAQ or something.

But even with subjective stuff I'd still go with that. Read all the posts, even at least look at what people you don't agree with say, because today maybe they'll be bang on. Or maybe their bad idea will give you a good one.

But never totally believe anyone until you've checked it out.
Solomon Greene
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Nerf'd @ Jul 9 2007, 02:44 AM)

Appeal to authority can be quite a convincing argument, to me. If someone were to point to the rulebook and quote something from it, that's authority to me.
If I say good things, sensible things, people will listen. If I spout off stupidly, people will not.
Assumption 1: Good, sensible things to you are good, sensible things to other people.
Assumption 2: People do not like what you were spouting off stupidly.

I'm comfortable with those assumptions.
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
Experience and "wisdom" do not, in and of themselves, add value to content provided.  The content is either inherent in the material or is it lacking.  Good content can be based on said values, but presenting the values as "proof of content" is just ludicrous.

Here's a question everyone but the strict rulebook-ers are skating around: where did this content come from in the first place? and what gives it value?

From what I gather here, the rulebook-ers firmly believe the only valid content wrt SR4 play is RAW and only RAW (blessed be the Book of the RAW) -- and that all else can only detract from RAW at best, go utterly contrary to RAW at worst.

Is the RAW in fact the only source of "inherent" value in content? If not: what other sources exist? Are there any times when the RAW might even get in the way of value in content?
Ravor
Sure, Turn to Goo and it's kin faunting Magical Theory is a good example of RAW just plainly making a stupid call. I happen to believe that the ease which a Decker can hack your cyberware is another, but that is more subjective.

Oh and the fact that RAW apparently isn't totally sure exactly how the Matrix 2.0 really works is another.
Cain
I don't reply to firearms threads, as my experience with firearms is so comparatively minimal as to make any contribution I could make worse than minimal.

My experience is extremely minimal as well; but I still corrected Raygun once. You don't have to be an expert to be right.
Talia Invierno
You probably do, however, have to have fired a gun more than six times in your life -- even if five of those did end up dead-eyed bullseyes.
Glyph
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
Experience and "wisdom" do not, in and of themselves, add value to content provided.  The content is either inherent in the material or is it lacking.  Good content can be based on said values, but presenting the values as "proof of content" is just ludicrous.

Here's a question everyone but the strict rulebook-ers are skating around: where did this content come from in the first place? and what gives it value?

From what I gather here, the rulebook-ers firmly believe the only valid content wrt SR4 play is RAW and only RAW (blessed be the Book of the RAW) -- and that all else can only detract from RAW at best, go utterly contrary to RAW at worst.

Is the RAW in fact the only source of "inherent" value in content? Are there any times when the RAW might even get in the way of value in content?

Actually, house rules, and discussions about circumstances where RAW is ambiguously worded or does not apply, come up fairly often, and the comments are usually constructive. It's not that only RAW is acceptable, it's that people correct other posters who confuse their house rules with the RAW. And in cases where the RAW is confusing, it is useful to get a feel for how a lot of other people interpret it.

House rules and GM rulings get picked over, the former to determine if it is fair to all types of players (sammies, mages, etc.) and is overall balanced, and the latter to determine if the ruling was fair and conducive to a good gaming experience. It is generally assumed that someone posting a rule or descibing an in-game situation is soliciting such feedback.

Sometimes posters can be a bit snarky, but a lot of times it is the initial poster who gets overly defensive and bristles at the slightest criticism. Because they didn't really want critical feedback, but a "look how cool my idea is/look how awesome of a GM I am" vanity thread. And that doesn't work, generally. If someone presents original content such as an adventure hook or new NPC, they might get more uniformly positive feedback, with just a smidge of constructive criticism. House rules and GM rulings, though, will get picked over by everyone.
tisoz
QUOTE (Solomon Greene @ Jul 8 2007, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (tisoz)
Why should anyone listen to you?

Because they happen to like and agree with my post.

But what if the advice is based on personal experience that is an abberation?

Really, what more is there to say? If I say good things, sensible things, people will listen.  If I spout off stupidly, people will not.  I don't have to go around and set up what I'm saying with some sort of useless factoid.

Either what I'm saying is worth listening to, or it isn't.

I'm not suggesting beginning a post with what may be a useless factoid. I'm getting at the question of if a respondent is a good judge of themself as to what is good, sensible or even stupid.

Ok, in that scenario, I agree as the posts content conveys value.

Cool, but now I have to discount the wisdom of your entire post. wink.gif

Like I said, it got me to thinking I may not be the best person to offer advice about a stable, long term gaming experience. Kind of like a childless person giving advice on raising those little yard apes.

The other reason I wonder about these heated arguments that develop in threads like the one that prompted this thread. Those threads that are likely to get locked down. Those threads that you can almost see it coming just from the title.

If one side of the argument is obviously silly, it is usually quickly pointed out. So one has to assume that both sides have about equal arguments. If so, why the huge disparity in point of view, why such a disparity, and should an observer to apply the wisdom proposed by either side when they find their self in a similar situation? (And no internet handy to get first hand advice. wink.gif )
Talia Invierno
Hmm. This might be an interesting point to remind that the original discussion which sparked the opening quote was a heated argument not over an interpretation of a specific rule, but over the right way to GM a group.

One side held that the numerical RAW was the only valid authority, and anything else ranged from the GM doing it wrong to the GM getting his jollies off the suffering of the other players.

The other held that the numerical RAW was not the sole authority as to the rightness or wrongness of a style of GMing, and that not all in-game situations distilled to a character roll.

(I specify "numerical", because it's easy to overlook that the RAW also includes less quantifiable guidance -- or, if not overlooked, then overruled by the quantitative RAW in all things.)
Strobe
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Hmm. This might be an interesting point to remind that the original discussion which sparked the opening quote was a heated argument not over an interpretation of a specific rule, but over the right way to GM a group.

One side held that the numerical RAW was the only valid authority, and anything else ranged from the GM doing it wrong to the GM getting his jollies off the suffering of the other players.

The other held that the numerical RAW was not the sole authority as to the rightness or wrongness of a style of GMing, and that not all in-game situations distilled to a character roll.

(I specify "numerical", because it's easy to overlook that the RAW also includes less quantifiable guidance -- or, if not overlooked, then overruled by the quantitative RAW in all things.)

Well, the RAW says to ignore the RAW if the RAW gets in the way or fun.

Kinda paradoxical.

-Strobe
Ravor
Well although I'm feeling too lazy to double check before bed, I seem to recall a second axis of debate that disagreed over whether or not it was fair to punish a player for not knowing as much about the setting as the DM reguardless of RAW.

However, it may just be my aging memory playing tricks on me again. cyber.gif
Talia Invierno
True, Ravor ... although the concept of "punishing" can only arise where GM judgement overrules strict numerical RAW. Where the GM subordinates personal judgement to the numerical RAW in all things, the concept of punishment cannot exist, since the only arbiter is the numerical RAW.

Rules don't punish. Only people do.
sunnyside
Ok first this thread may be a hair silly, and it's good to have a reference as to what this might be talking about, but don't make this that other argument all over again. That thing went for a ridiculous length.

Anyway for things like that the key thing to remember, at the end of the day, is that there isn't one "winning" forumla. In fact what works for one group may not work for another.

However stuff like that can still be useful because it can clue you in to benifits and potential pitfalls before you get to them.
Ravor
Well I'd disagree with that statement because by itself RAW doesn't do anything, it just sits there in a book, for instince in the Technomancer example even if the DM had called for whatever rolls was decided would detremine whether or not the Techno would remain on his feet or not it would still be an example of a DM punishing a player, just like if the DM called for a Perception Test at -2 everytime a character crossed the street without declaring that they looked both ways beforehand or used RAW to decide how long the characters could go before declaring that they had taken a breath.
Pendaric
Whether something is good advise is usually situational and therefore requires personal interpretation.
Sadly that in this format every post must be weighed on merit on each individual's personal scales.

The manner of the post obviously flavours the easy of this judgement. We have all seen abrasive and aggressive posts turn free wheeling debate into flame wars. When something becomes an argument for me is when neither side is open to changing their point of view.
On the plus side Dumpshock is much better than it used to be for the baseline polite respect afforded to each user.

Why should you listen? Personal choice and the possibility of help/a useful idea.
Why you need to weigh everything? Because it might not work for you.
Solomon Greene
QUOTE (tisoz)

Cool, but now I have to discount the wisdom of your entire post. wink.gif

frown.gif

Now that you've horribly offended me, even though you used an emoticon, I must fly off the handle, attacking your percieved authority so my own remains unblemished. I'm going to do this in an irrational, looping way that has no bearing on the conversation at hand, hoping to distract you with a flame war to keep the conversation firmly away from my poorly-made point.

clears throat

Your momma.

Caine Hazen
Being as I've found this discussion to have nothing to do with SR4 and more to do with personal rantings for now, I'll just move it to General gaming. And even though you are all playing nice so far, please make sure this doesn't get out of hand.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Is the RAW in fact the only source of "inherent" value in content?

Of course - you paid for it. To get the value of the rule in question, you just have to compare it's lettercount to total lettercount of the book and put what you paid for the RAW into that relation. wobble.gif

So, the more RAW you can quote, the more worth is your opinion - and thus, the righter you are. facelick.gif
Talia Invierno
Though apparently the RAW doesn't have inherent value enough for discussion of its value and appropriate role to be considered SR4-related wink.gif

Edit: Pendaric, thank you for reiterating the importance of mutual respect. It's what has allowed us to discuss this topic at all -- even if our esteemed moderator seems to have missed its existence in this thread entirely.
tisoz
QUOTE (Pendaric)
On the plus side Dumpshock is much better than it used to be for the baseline polite respect afforded to each user.

Stricter moderating, pre-emotive thread closings and bans take their toll.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Pendaric)

If by "better" you mean "more obnoxiously moderated".

Enforced politeness is no kind of politeness at all.

~J
Talia Invierno
Did anyone else notice a real rant in this thread? I don't mean just agendas or strong povs: those run rampant in most SR4 threads anyway wink.gif
Critias
I can add one if you guys want.
Talia Invierno
Ah, but that would scarcely work, Critias. The difference between unacceptable rant and acceptable agenda may be whether or not those in power agree with you: and we've established that your opinions are popular.

In fairness to Pendaric, he did post before moderation intervention interrupted the pre-existing level of spirited but non-vicious discussion in this thread.

... and after active intervention: what has become of it?
Solomon Greene
I'm sorry if my attempt at humor in any way caused this to be moderated or moved, I was just poking fun at "t3h internets" in general, not at any specific poster.
Critias
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Ah, but that would scarcely work, Critias. The difference between unacceptable rant and acceptable agenda may be whether or not those in power agree with you: and we've established that your opinions are popular.

In fairness to Pendaric, he did post before moderation intervention interrupted the pre-existing level of spirited but non-vicious discussion in this thread.

... and after active intervention: what has become of it?

I'm sure my warning level can explain that my opinions aren't always popular. They might be amusing and fun to read, but (especially to "those in power") they're hardly always popular.

But, ah well. I just figured I'd offer, since a rant-less thread is like peanut butter without jelly or a basket full of kittens without fire.
Talia Invierno
*blink*
Critias
I know. Thinking about a basket full of kittens without fire makes me tear up a little, too. *sigh*
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Jul 9 2007, 10:28 AM)

If by "better" you mean "more obnoxiously moderated".

Enforced politeness is no kind of politeness at all.

~J

I dunno, I remember long ago there was a time when the politeness and political correctness and the general attitude that dumpshock was above all that petty falaming and trolling stuff, was so pervasive it was actually annoying.

There were exceptions ofcourse, I seem to recall the name Dr. Funkenstien, but there was at one point a thread where someone began talking about how, as their character fell in love with another character he was developing feeling for the player and though he'd never considered himsef gay etc, etc. Basically alot of drivel, but there were pages and pages of support and advice before someone finally posted that the guy was a freak, loser, or possibly both and should get some damn help and off the f**king forums with that crap, and that everyone else was equally messed up for not telling him the same thing.

I stopped visiting DSF for a time when I realised I found myself agreeing with the 'obnoxious' individual whom I'd so often found irritating in the past. There is such a thing as too polite and it was truly an odd time.
Critias
Got a link? That might've been me. It all sounds fuzzily familiar.
Talia Invierno
Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet!
Lazarus
QUOTE (Critias)
I know. Thinking about a basket full of kittens without fire makes me tear up a little, too. *sigh*

Swwweeeet! I bow before you good sir.

notworthy.gif
Lazarus
Man I don't know if anyone should scan what I'm typing. Sure I can list my gaming resume. The longest SR game I played for five years in real time and we had our characters played from 2048 in gametime to 2061. Each got over 1000 karma or there abouts.

Does that mean I know what I'm talking about? Nope. I don't even know what RAW or IIRC stands for. Everytime I see it on the boards I'm too embarassed to ask.

I try to post on topics that interest me because I want to talk about SR because I don't play it much anymore, and I hope that I can make someone else's game enjoyable. I've asked questions on here in the past and people have offered great and not so great advice. Hell sometimes I think I come across as a HUGE d**k when I don't mean to be. Other times I find myself writing posts but deleting them thinking "Dude it's not personal. You probably didn't communicate your idea effectively." or "He's a f**ker and do you really want to get into this?"

As far as being in a gaming group it's like anything else. You gotta find who you can deal with. One my favorite DMs I played with for about ten years he and I used to fight all the time. He even threw a boxed set at me once. <It was the Tales of the Lance boxset I think.> He was a great AD&D DM, but he sucked at SR, mainly because he wanted to play it like AD&D.

One of my good friends was one of the best and worst players depending on which night we played. If he was in a good mood everything rocked. If he was in a bad mood, like he fought with his Ex, then he would go out of his way to cause chaos. (In fact I think he had a character named Chaos in SR. Yeah he was a decker, and a f**ker.) He used to give me fits as GM and as a player. I would go almost insane and he would smile. Good Times. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
How do you manage to move so fast? We've been playing three years, and our characters played from mid-June 2055 to late August 2055.

RAW is an abomination. You should not bother to learn what it means.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012