Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm sponsoring another fiction contest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
tisoz
Is anyone/everyone up for another Shadowrun fiction contest?

Do people want to read submissions?

Are there potential authors out there?

Can we get it done in time for me to deliver prizes at GenCon? It would be nice to avoid the shipping expense and it would be nice to meet the author. The problem being, will the winner even be attending the con? And is just over a month enough time to get a number of submissions and pick a winner?

If I do this, are there any suggestions for doing it better than past contests? (See the link in my sig.)
mfb
i'd put something together for it, and i'd like to read the submissions. i'm not hitting GenCon, this year, but i'll hopefully be there next year.
Trigger
I would like to join this fiction contest, if it gets off the ground. I saw the link in your sig before and wondered to myself, I wonder if he is going to be doing another one of these things sometime? It seems my wish like wonderings actually work and here one has the possibility of coming up.
Ophis
I may have something submit...
ninjajester
I might be able to submit. Any specific guidelines?
Wounded Ronin
Well, I don't think I'll submit anything this time around. Tisoz doesn't like my style at all.
tisoz
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Well, I don't think I'll submit anything this time around. Tisoz doesn't like my style at all.

That is not quite true. I just did not think the lone story I got was a winner, and the feedback from the community agreed with me. I even pointed to some of your earlier work where I thought was more appropriate. Believe it or not, I am not holding a grudge against you. I would love to see you ente a piece, especially one that you put some of your '8os, ninja passion into. If you recall, my tastes and awards are pretty much aligned with the DS mob, or at least the poll results. So imagine the furor if you entered a brilliant piece and I snubbed it. Of course I would cave, just as I did when reasoned with about the referred to contest.
tisoz
Guidelines...

In the past, I have asked it to be third edition, but I do not think that really matters.

I have asked that the story conform to SR rules, but that has been kind of ignored and/or sidestepped by at least one prize winner.

I asked them to be long enough to make their point and short enough not to lose our attention, but I think I'd like them long enough to tell a story. To be eligible for a prize, I have asked that the story be original and not posted elsewhere on the 'net, and have only noticed one that I had read before. (There are a lot of Dumpshockers surfing the net, hungry to read fiction, and you had better believe they would love to rat you out. wink.gif)

Multiple submissions are ok, but I have heard that if you enter 2 strong pieces and there is another contender, you tend to hurt yourself by splitting your vote.

I have asked that submissions be Titled. And that the PM you send me have the title in the Message Title box. It makes it so much easier to keep track of them, to find them when you send me an edited version, and to represent in the poll so you can get a vote.

Yes, edits will be accepted until contest is concluded. (Meaning even after I have posted them and established the poll. The earlier you get them, the better chance people will understand you.)

I have asked that you Personal Message submissions to me here at Dumpshock. Include the Story title in the submission (or as the message header.) The Personal Message Function can be quickly reached by clicking on the new messages button at the top of the page. One of the features is automatically saving a copy for yourself when you send the PM (I suggest doing this.) I should be able to use the quote function to easily cut and paste without having to go through and format things like paragraph breaks and italics.

It looks like there is interest. GenCon starts August 16th, so I think a deadline for entries will be the 12th. This gives more than a month to create a story, a few days for everyone to savor them, and time for me to deliver the prize in person should the winner be attending the convention. (I may even make a production out of awarding it so you can meet fellow Dumpshockers, and they can see what a freak you really are. Ok you may not think your freaky looking, but I have been a bit surprised to put faces to names, and to find Critias actually does not have horns and cloven hooves. wink.gif) In the pleasant event there are many submissions, I will either stop the contest when I get 10 entries (meaning if you quickly submit 10 stories, you are guaranteed winning, I will list them in separate polls and we will have more than one winner. The whole reason of having the 10 limit is that is the most poll entries the site accepts. If this optimistic situation occurs, I will divide multiple entries between polls.

I post the submissions without the author's name, hopefully to avoid bias and/or cronyism, and create a poll for the DS community to help choose.

And I am open to suggestions for improvement.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 8 2007, 05:14 PM)
Well, I don't think I'll submit anything this time around.  Tisoz doesn't like my style at all.

That is not quite true. I just did not think the lone story I got was a winner, and the feedback from the community agreed with me. I even pointed to some of your earlier work where I thought was more appropriate. Believe it or not, I am not holding a grudge against you. I would love to see you ente a piece, especially one that you put some of your '8os, ninja passion into. If you recall, my tastes and awards are pretty much aligned with the DS mob, or at least the poll results. So imagine the furor if you entered a brilliant piece and I snubbed it. Of course I would cave, just as I did when reasoned with about the referred to contest.

Fair enough. I don't feel like I have any ideas this moment, and I might get busier in the future, but if things come together I'll consider submitting.
bibliophile20
I'm going to ask a friend if he's interested in finally finishing up a SR piece that he's left hanging for a while; while the first bits of it are already on the 'net, the rest would obviously be new; would that be acceptable?
tisoz
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
I'm going to ask a friend if he's interested in finally finishing up a SR piece that he's left hanging for a while; while the first bits of it are already on the 'net, the rest would obviously be new; would that be acceptable?

I'm sure everyone would appreciate reading a finished story. My concern is about what percentage posted to what percentage anticipated length until finished? Or how much is going to be new compared to pre-existing?

Also, to clarify, submissions would be accepted and posted, but if it turns out it was a pre-existing (or substantially pre-existing), I would not award a prize for it. Part of the reason for this decision is I would like some new fiction. I do not feel like "paying" for fiction I and everyone else has already had an opportunity to read.
bibliophile20
Well, I just sent him an email letting him know about this thread, so we'll see if he's even interested.
warrior_allanon
i'm up for it, my only question is the following:

is it just a general SR story or is it going to be type specific
tisoz
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Jul 8 2007, 11:06 PM)
is it just a general SR story or is it going to be type specific

General SR universe story, hopefully involving shadowrunners, explosions, shooting, mayhem and hilarity.
Backgammon
Sounds fun. Not sure I have a story in me at the moment though. I enjoy reading the entries though, so s'all good anyways.
Critias
I might look into tossing something together.
Adarael
I'll submit a story to your contest. I don't need or want no prizes (unless they're really cool, of course), but I'll submit for the fun of it.

And if you e-mail people, please, for the love of god, don't try to contact me at the e-mail address on this user account. I use it for spam catching.
Critias
QUOTE (Adarael)
I'll submit a story to your contest. I don't need or want no prizes (unless they're really cool, of course), but I'll submit for the fun of it.

The prizes for all of them so far have been out-of-print Shadowrun books (back to and including first edition stuff). To most folks around here, that's officially "really cool." smile.gif
Adarael
That's pretty cool.
tisoz
Yes, I should mention prizes. They consist of a choice of Shadowrun book. I ask the winner to pay shipping, so if someone international wants to enter, I don't go in debt shipping it. In this case, I hope to be able to deliver it in person at GenCon for no charge. Critias won the first contest and chose Native American Nations Volume 1. If Luke Hardison is listening, he needs to remind me which book he chose. warrior_allanon, do you remember what you requested? I recall that on the default win where there was but a single submission I limited the choice to 3 books, if Wounded Ronin or hyzmarca recall what was chosen I am not going to deny it. Critias won the last contest and IIRC, or from another post, he chose Bug City.

We have a couple of former winners stating interest, so polish those stories well.
tisoz
I just got the first submission, so what are the rest of you slackers waiting for? wink.gif
DuckEggBlue Omega
To suddenly develop anything which might resemble the abilty to write?
ninjajester
QUOTE (tisoz)
I just got the first submission, so what are the rest of you slackers waiting for? wink.gif

Inspiration?
tisoz
QUOTE (ninjajester)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 9 2007, 07:39 PM)

Inspiration?

You could check some of the linked threads to find possible topics that were considered for prior contests.

What interests you? What type of character would you like to write about?
ninjajester
I always have tons of ideas for writing. It's the actual process of taking those ideas and turning them into something more concrete than ideas that stymies me. No worries, though. I'm excited about this, and that always helps jumpstart the creative process.

I'll have something turned in before the due date. I swear it!

tisoz
Anyone remember this?

Where are the promised entries?

Is everyone waiting until the very last minute?

So far I have one submission, and I think people remember how cranky a one horse race makes me. wink.gif
Adarael
I remember, I do. I swear, you'll have something from me. It's just that I got hit with a freelance web dev project until two days ago, and I also promised a big piece of vector art to a friend of mine, so I've been doing that.

I was a liberal arts major. Can you tell?
ronin3338
I just saw this thread today frown.gif

I have an idea for a novel, but I could make it a short story, but not before the 12th...

Any chance the deadline has changed? If not, any chance you could let me know if you do this again?
Critias
Been busy writing for Spinespur. I'll see what I might be able to fling together in the next few days that's not Spinespur.
tisoz
QUOTE (ronin3338)
I just saw this thread today frown.gif

I have an idea for a novel, but I could make it a short story, but not before the 12th...

Any chance the deadline has changed?

In the past when I have tried changing any terms, the attempt created furor. So probably not.

If not, any chance you could let me know if you do this again?

It depends on how this contest goes. The point is to get some gratification from the submissions for myself (since I am in effect paying) and sharing the fiction with others whom may appreciate it. So the gratification factor needs to outweigh the frustration factor.

If you submit an entry of some kind, ronin 3338, I will keep you in my PM folder and personally notify you of any future contest through the same channel.

Looking back through previous contests, the ones that I liked best had no set deadline. I mistakenly set a deadline with this contest in the hope of meeting the winner while personally delivering their award.
NightmareX
I'd give it a shot, but I doubt my writing skills are up to snuff. That and the prize would basically be redundant wink.gif
tisoz
Is anyone any author dead set on keeping the deadline? So far I have one submission and the author has graciously agreed to extending the deadline.

I am considering extending the deadline until I have at least 5 entries. This removes a specific date, but still keeps the pressure on to hurry up and get your submission in before the last slot is filled. Hopefully, 4 authors were going to submit a story in the next 2 days anyway, rendering this change moot.

I think I will let those that submit a story by the original deadline, August 12, vote on whether or not they care to extend the deadline.

Whichever case may prevail, hurry up and get those stories written.

[ Spoiler ]
mfb
i really apologize. i'd like to submit, so i vote to extend the deadline.
tisoz
The second story has been received and again the author graciously agreed to extending the deadline. Do you want to rely on the kindness of others? Let's get those submissions in!

QUOTE (mfb)
i really apologize. i'd like to submit, so i vote to extend the deadline.
But your vote doesn't really count until I have a story from you. wink.gif (Be devious and remember what I have stated about edits.) Anyway, no one will vote for the story with no capital letters. smile.gif
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (tisoz)
Yes, I should mention prizes. They consist of a choice of Shadowrun book. I ask the winner to pay shipping, so if someone international wants to enter, I don't go in debt shipping it. In this case, I hope to be able to deliver it in person at GenCon for no charge. Critias won the first contest and chose Native American Nations Volume 1. If Luke Hardison is listening, he needs to remind me which book he chose. warrior_allanon, do you remember what you requested? I recall that on the default win where there was but a single submission I limited the choice to 3 books, if Wounded Ronin or hyzmarca recall what was chosen I am not going to deny it. Critias won the last contest and IIRC, or from another post, he chose Bug City.

We have a couple of former winners stating interest, so polish those stories well.

Tis, if you have a spare 3ed cannon companion i'd like that, otherwise i would have to go back into the archives and find the contest post to see what was available.
tisoz
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jul 9 2007, 05:42 PM)
Yes, I should mention prizes.  They consist of a choice of Shadowrun book.  I ask the winner to pay shipping, so if someone international wants to enter, I don't go in debt shipping it.  In this case, I hope to be able to deliver it in person at GenCon for no charge.  Critias won the first contest and chose Native American Nations Volume 1.  If Luke Hardison is listening, he needs to remind me which book he chose.  warrior_allanon, do you remember what you requested?  I recall that on the default win where there was but a single submission I limited the choice to 3 books, if Wounded Ronin or hyzmarca recall what was chosen I am not going to deny it.  Critias won the last contest and IIRC, or from another post, he chose Bug City.

Tis, if you have a spare 3ed cannon companion i'd like that, otherwise i would have to go back into the archives and find the contest post to see what was available.

I have a spare, but I delivered your book to the friend you designated who was working a booth with a bunch of weapons at GenCon last year. Sorry, only one prize per winner. smile.gif

As to books I have given, I seem to recall someone got a Lone Star book and someone else asked for a Fields of Fire. Wounded Ronin/hyzmarca got a Grimoire.
knasser

I didn't notice this thread at all as I rarely come down to the third edition forum. I think the admins here should really sort out the topic headings as although I know this is supposed to be the general Shadowrun forum, the 4th edition is the place that really meets that definition these days.

Anyway, rant over, I would like to enter this competition if the deadline has been extended. I don't think I'll be able to complete anything until next weekend, so if you haven't reached the requisite number of stories by then (which is a good idea for a fair way of managing this), then I'll see if I can get something in.

I read through the entries last time and they were really enjoyable. I'm looking forward to this time around, whether I manage to get in or not.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (knasser)
I didn't notice this thread at all as I rarely come down to the third edition forum. I think the admins here should really sort out the topic headings as although I know this is supposed to be the general Shadowrun forum, the 4th edition is the place that really meets that definition these days.

The fiction doesn't strictly speaking have to do with only 4th ed. You could write 1st ed fiction if you wanted. Therefore it doesn't make sense to classify this as a 4th ed topic. Besides, this topic in its recurring forms have always been in the general Shadowrun forum.
FrankTrollman
Meh. You should put fiction contests in the place where people will read them the most.

It used to be that the General SR Forum was primarily about the current edition, and it got the most traffic. Now the current edition has been split off into its own thread, and the cheese stands alone.

Regardless, while I had also forgotten about this contest, I did get my submission in. I think it would have been better if this thread had been in a more often looked at forum (hint), and therefore received more attention from me. I'm sure others are in the same boat.

-Frank
Critias
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Meh. You should put fiction contests in the place where people will read them the most.

Or, instead, he could put them in the appropriate sub-forum, the one for general Shadowrun discussion.
hyzmarca
My preferred solution would be to write a Firefox plugin that would auto-PM every single board member just to be sure that everyone knows about the contest.
tisoz
QUOTE (knasser)

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

You mean like here - Dumpshock Shadowrun Fourth Edition Forum, or here - Shadowrun Writer's Forum.
Please note the dates and appropriate links. dead.gif
tisoz
I have received 3 stories.
knasser
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (knasser)

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

You mean like here - Dumpshock Shadowrun Fourth Edition Forum, or here - Shadowrun Writer's Forum.
Please note the dates and appropriate links. dead.gif

Oooops. *heh heh* embarrassed.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
The fiction doesn't strictly speaking have to do with only 4th ed. You could write 1st ed fiction if you wanted. Therefore it doesn't make sense to classify this as a 4th ed topic. Besides, this topic in its recurring forms have always been in the general Shadowrun forum.

Also please note that previous incarnations specified adherance to SR3 rules and tech. I omitted such a limitation this time.
mfb
i hope this is still going, but i think i'm gonna bow out. i've been working at it... but honestly, it's hard to summon up enough interest in SR anymore to put anything together.
tisoz
Yes, still going. Waiting for 2 more submissions.
warrior_allanon
i forgot about that tiz, i'm just gonna have to track him down and beat it out of him....on the other hand i am working on something will have it to you this weekend for this, "Oh, i'm sorry Lieutenant, but it seems your training isnt quite up to standards anymore."
hyzmarca
This may seem like a silly question but: is anyone ever going to send in two more submissions?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
This may seem like a silly question but: is anyone ever going to send in two more submissions?

I'm tempted to just write in two more stories myself. If noone has done so by the time I get back from Prague I'll just do it.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012