Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Perception
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cripplemronion
I assume from the description of astral movement that physical barriers on the Material plane have no effect on someone moving on the astral plane.

Is the same true of astral perception? Can a character astrally perceiving see auras through walls, or do walls act as they do on the material plane?
Rotbart van Dainig
As explained in Street Magic, Astral Shadows of dead material block LoS as well.
sunnyside
Also for the mages don't forget that in SR4 wards are (relatively) cheap and availible. Businesses and people with higher lifestyles would reasonably have them.

Cripplemronion
Thanks; I don't have access to Street Magic, so I appreciate your input.
Backgammon
Normally transparent material is also opaque. So, while astrally perceiving, you can NOT see through glass. So you can't look through windows, and you can't use any sort of vision enhancement (as they rely on lenses=glass)
Demonseed Elite
In my games, however, I do allow you to make an Assessing Test (usually with a low threshold) to learn some information about auras that are behind an astral shadow.
Buster
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jul 9 2007, 04:34 PM)
Normally transparent material is also opaque. So, while astrally perceiving, you can NOT see through glass. So you can't look through windows, and you can't use any sort of vision enhancement (as they rely on lenses=glass)

Glass is just an astral shadow. Street Magic p 114:
Items that are transparent or mirrored in the real world (like a car window) simply impair visibility as astral shadows.  Since there are no ranged weapons on the astral plane and spell targeting depends on seeing your target, hiding behind physical shadows works as well as hiding behind a vibrant aura.

So I guess holding up a thin sheet of transparent glass completely hides you and protects you from all non-elemental spells?
Rotbart van Dainig
..and thus breaks LoS.
Buster
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
..and thus breaks LoS.

Godamit I hate Platonic magic as much as I hate Vancian magic.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jul 9 2007, 04:34 PM)

Glass is just an astral shadow. Street Magic p 114:
Items that are transparent or mirrored in the real world (like a car window) simply impair visibility as astral shadows.  Since there are no ranged weapons on the astral plane and spell targeting depends on seeing your target, hiding behind physical shadows works as well as hiding behind a vibrant aura.

So I guess holding up a thin sheet of transparent glass completely hides you and protects you from all non-elemental spells?

Only if the caster is using astral perception. If they are just in normal vision then you're hosed.

As to Cyber Eyes causing trouble for astral perception, remember that Astral Perception is related to Vision in exactly zero ways. It is a wholly new sense, so your sunglasses don't blind you if you're using Astral Perception...
Buster
Hey wait, that's right if I'm reading the quote in Street Magic correctly, not only does a car window block your astral perception, your own sunglasses would too!

Godamit I hate Platonic magic.
Backgammon
The exact wording of Street Magic is:

QUOTE (Street MAgic @ p.114)

Shadows of physical objects in the astral plane may be drab and insubstantial, but they are still opaque and can prevent targeting. Items that are transparent or mirrored in the real world (like a car window) simply impair visibility as astral shadows.

So it doesn't completely block vision, no, but it is still a good obstacle providing visual cover.
Rotbart van Dainig
As you don't use your eye for astral perception, it doesn't.
But a mage-mask will...
Demerzel
Remind me what page the rules for those are on Rotbart?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012